Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Vickysg24

HOw can I work out how many Pro points I'm allowed each day?? I know someone said you need to have a private consultation to let you know but I really can't afford the 20 euro to go... so is there any other ways I can work it out myself... any help would be much appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    Oh yum! that sounds delicious! I'm totally saving this!
    I'd tweak it just a tiny bit.
    Aldi do already diced ham bits at 2propoints a packet. (saving of 2pp)
    And in Tesco you can get a ww creme fraiche 40g is about 2 tablespoons, which is 1pp (saving of 2pp)

Excellent. Thanks for those suggestions, any points saved is great as you well know! :D I'd also be interested to hear how those muffins turn out, I'm always on the hunt for breakfast ideas, I find it the hardest meal to prep for.

Tonight I had a very quick and easy dinner to prepare, I used:

1/4 jar Uncle Ben's Chilli Sauce (you could use WW but I prefer this one) 2pp
    100g Quorn mince 2pp
    1 bag of Tesco microwavable wholegrain rice 10pp :eek:

This was 14 pp in total, I was only going to have half the bag of rice but I started my 20km round trip commute by cycle again today and was starving when I got home so splurged a bit on the rice (and am now only 1pp over my daily allowance and I have plenty weekly & activity points left to counteract that).
    If I hadn't been so hungry/in a rush to have dinner, I would have chopped peppers and onions and used those to bulk it out and just used half the rice so you can make this for 9pp which I think is great value

Week 1 down, weigh in tomorrow morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

Vickysg24 wrote: »
    HOw can I work out how many Pro points I'm allowed each day?? I know someone said you need to have a private consultation to let you know but I really can't afford the 20 euro to go... so is there any other ways I can work it out myself... any help would be much appreciated :D

if you know someone with a propoint calculator they might be able to work it out using that, our leader said the calculator works out your allowance.

on a seperate note if a food has 60g of carbohydrates of which 17g are sugars do you use the 60g or can you deduct the sugars?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

Congratulations on the weight loss. I definitely agree with you in terms of eat what works for you when on a diet.
    I started off that way on Weight Watchers but then got so precious about my points, I started making ''healthier'' decisions and even when I fell off the wagon still found myself using skinny milk, quorn & brown pasta/rice. I developed a taste for them all! However, I'll never be much of a fruit eater and that's not something likely to change even if it is 0pp now on the new plan!

Ultimately, the only way to make a diet sustainable is to have it not feel like a diet at all which is why I think the freedom WW gives you over more prescribed diets makes it unbeatable.

It's the end of week 1 for me and weigh in due tomorrow so I may change my tune tomorrow depending on how successful I am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

intouch44 wrote: »
    if you know someone with a propoint calculator they might be able to work it out using that, our leader said the calculator works out your allowance.

on a seperate note if a food has 60g of carbohydrates of which 17g are sugars do you use the 60g or can you deduct the sugars?

You count the 60g ie total carbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

ok back from WI .5lb down, a loss is a loss! onwards and downwards!

Has anyone bought either of the new cookbooks would you recommend them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Good luck tomorrow Rachel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭smileyface1

HAHA! Was 1/2 way through my work out DVD this evening- all sweaty- and the boyfriend arrive home! bugger!!!

Oh well will do it all the way through tomo....now for a nice bottle of vino- I saved for it so its all good!!! ( on the old points plain btw!)

Onward and upwards to my goal this week!
    (still not a piece of chocolate this year!)

Actually feeling really positive about it! Feel like this time I will reach my goals!!!

Had yummy beef stroganoff for dinner too:

Serves | 4
    Points per serving | 4.5 ( old points value)
    Preparation time | 5 min
    Cooking time | 20 min
    Level of difficulty | moderate

350 g Beef, Fillet Steak, lean, cut into 2.5 cm strips
    2 level tablespoon(s) plain flour, (seasoned)
    3 teaspoon(s) sunflower oil
    1 large onion, all types, sliced thinly
    125 g mushrooms, (button) sliced
    5 cherry tomatoes, (puréed)
    1 tablespoon(s) worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon(s) lemon juice
    300 g low fat bio yogurt
    1/2 teaspoon(s) pepper
    1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
    6 teaspoon(s) herbs, (parsely) freshly chopped

1. Place the beef and seasoned flour in a large plastic bag and shake to coat the meat.
    2. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large, non-stick frying-pan. Sauté the onion for 5 minutes and then add the mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate, using a draining spoon.
    3. Heat the frying-pan, add the remaining teaspoon of oil and, when the oil is just starting to smoke, add the meat. Stir-fry, to brown the strips evenly. Stir in the tomato purée, Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice.
    4. Return the onion and mushroom to the frying-pan and gently cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the yogurt and allow to heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with parsley.

30th Dec 157!
    Week 1- 1st Jan 154.4 (start)
    Week 2- 7th Jan 152.0
    Week 3- 14th Jan 148.8
    Target for Week 4- 21st Jan : 145

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 venus11

Can someone tell me how to configure iwatcher I can't use the calculator.

Thanks. I would really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭StrawberryJazz

Hi everyone

Firstly let me just say this thread is amazing! Quite frankly it's more useful than the Irish weight watchers website which is a joke. Thank you so much to everyone for putting up info and recipes :)

Secondly, I'm twenty and joined ww last summer at 10'10'' and although I Im two stone down now (secret yay) I've had doubts about rejoining my local meeting. The leader is doing her job but isn't exactly awe-inspiring and as a student, I don't know if I'd be willing to give her E10 a week. I'm fairly tech savey and I think I've worked out this pro points thing but it doesn't feel like I'm on a diet!!! I love fruit and am eating (low fat) icecream and sweet things everyday.
    Can this programme actually work? How much weight (on average) can you be expected to lose a week?

• Advertisement

Welcome StrawberryJazz!!!!

I am still following the old points system just gearing up to learning about the new system really! Planning to do old system for Jan and then try to learn hte new system.

Apparantly you can join the UK WW site for about 12 euro A MONTH!! You just need a UK postcode- bust you can just use a UK hotels postcode for this. Plus you wont be able to buy online. But its way way cheaper!

I found this calculator online
    http://www.calculator.net/weight-watchers-points-calculator.html

Everyone here is great and the new system does appear to be working for most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Welcome Strawberry. I am relatively new to this thread and I've found it great for inspiration and recipes as well especially if you read back through some of the older posts.

I stayed the same after my first week on pro points because it took me some time to get used to it. This week I feel so much more comfortable with it and I reckon I might be down at my next WI. Other members did have significant losses in their first week of pro points so it does seem to work.

Good luck with your journey!

Well done dottie. Like you say a loss is a loss at least it's .5lb down and not up!!

Eabha x

Thanks so much Smileyface amd Eabhabear!
    :)
    I have a brilliant free app on my android http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/health_and_fitness/wwdiary_bjxv.html which I would really recommend.

I'm really interested to see how this plan works out. Its almost too good to be true...if only Pizza was lower. Desperately trying to come up with a pizza recipe only using egg white, apple sauce, Worcester sauce and vegetables lol:P

Hiya- I posted up a low point ( but old point) recipe for pizzas and they are yummy- its just back a couple of pages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 MTF1

Week 2 WI tomorrow:confused: Getting the hang of the PPs better this week & think I used all 49 weekly points on vodka...lost count as the tracker wouldn't fit in my bag :D need some nice handy lunch ideas-that's where I get stuck

Hi MFT1

I love homemade soups with ryvitta's and lots of fruit throughout the day and lot and lots of water!

Big salads are another idea....salad takes so long to eat that your full by the time the plate is clear!

Yummy dressing
    Balsamic vinegar
    Olive oil
    Little pesto

I always add seeds to salalds too- Tesco's do pots of mixed seeds for salads and soups and they are yum!

Hiya- I posted up a low point ( but old point) recipe for pizzas and they are yummy- its just back a couple of pages!

Thank you! I will try this out very, very soon! :D

I found this article online explaining the rate of weight loss with the new programme if anybody is interested.
    http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/diet.htm

It basically says the overall weight loss will be slower but the fat loss will be greater (due to the new emphasis on protein). Good stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

has anyone found any handy snacks and tricks, Just looking for a just in case quick fix snack, that if i was out, and had to grab something quick and cheap from a garage or centra...where i literly only 2 or 3 minutes before i gotta be class again. I just dont have room in my bag to be carrying around fruit or anything.

like can of diet coke and....

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    has anyone found any handy snacks and tricks, Just looking for a just in case quick fix snack, that if i was out, and had to grab something quick and cheap from a garage or centra...where i literly only 2 or 3 minutes before i gotta be class again. I just dont have room in my bag to be carrying around fruit or anything.

like can of diet coke and....

Flavoured breadsticks. Tesco do cheese, onion, chive etc flavoured. There about the length of a full pencil and fairly airless. Very Tasty
    3 = 1 pp

• Registered Users Posts: 3 niamh621

Missyxx88 wrote: »
    hi all, could anyone help me out. does anyone know of any nice weight watchers pro points recipes for a meal using chicken breasts. Really appreciate any help.

Here ya go.....

Crispy Garlic Chicken Breasts

ProPoints® value | 5
    Servings | 4
    Preparation Time | 15 min
    Cooking Time | 20 min
    Level of Difficulty | Easy

main meals | Turn this into a meal by serving with new potatoes veg.

Ingredients
    2 clove(s) Garlic, crushed
    3 teaspoons Parsley, fresh, finely chopped
    75 g Cheese, Soft, Medium Fat
    500 g Chicken, Breast, Skinless, Raw, (4 x 125g breasts)
    1 medium Egg, Whole
    1 tablespoons Milk, Skimmed
    75 g Breadcrumbs, Fresh
    5 spray(s) Cooking Spray, Calorie Controlled
    1/8 teaspoons Pepper, Black (Whole, Cracked or Ground)
    Instructions
    Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6/200°C/fan oven 180°C/400°F.

In a bowl, mix together the garlic and parsley with the soft cheese and black pepper. Cut a deep pocket in each chicken breast, taking care not to cut right through, then stuff the soft cheese mixture inside, closing the flesh around the stuffing as far as possible.

Beat the egg with the milk in a shallow dish, and spread the breadcrumbs out on a plate.

Dip each chicken breast first in the egg mixture and then in crumbs to coat all over. Place on a non stick baking tray and spray with the cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes until crisp and cooked through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 niamh621

Missyxx88 wrote: »
    hi all, could anyone help me out. does anyone know of any nice weight watchers pro points recipes for a meal using chicken breasts. Really appreciate any help.

Here's another one...

Crusted Honey Mustard Chicken

ProPoints® value | 5
    Servings | 4
    Preparation Time | 12 min
    Cooking Time | 15 min
    Level of Difficulty | Easy

main meals | We added a twist to these baked - not fried - chicken breasts by coating them with honey mustard before dipping them into cereal crumbs. Great for kids!

Ingredients
    5 spray(s) Cooking Spray, Calorie Controlled
    90 g Frenchs Honey Mustard, (6 tbsp)
    1/8 teaspoons Salt
    1/8 teaspoons Pepper, Black (Whole, Cracked or Ground)
    2 teaspoons Dill, Fresh, freshly chopped
    1 medium Spring Onions, medium, finely sliced
    30 g Cornflakes, crumbled
    450 g Chicken, Breast, Skinless, Raw, four 4 oz pieces
    Instructions
    Preheat oven to Gas Mark 7/220°C/425°F.

In a small bowl, combine honey mustard, salt, pepper, dill and spring onions; remove 1/3 and set aside.

Place cornflake crumbs in a shallow bowl. Dip chicken breasts into dressing mixture, then cornflake crumbs. Place into shallow baking pan coated with cooking spray.

Bake until chicken is golden and no longer pink, about 15 minutes.

Drizzle remaining dressing mixture (1/3 set aside) over chicken breasts and serve.

I need a bit of help. I'm heading to Spain at the weekend with college crew and I've no idea what I'm gonna eat over there. I know most of them will be living off McDonalds as its the cheapest and handiest option. Does anyone have any advice as to how to control the eating?

What annoys me is I have to miss my meeting on Weds as I have an exam in college and I'm a pound off my third silver seven and I'm afraid when I WI next Weds after Spain I'll be up a few lbs.

Thanks Eabha x

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

venus11 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me how to configure iwatcher I can't use the calculator.

Thanks. I would really appreciate it.

here you go, someone else posted it on another board:

If you have iwatcher, go to calculator then custom, go to configure and modify each field as follows;

Field 1 - rename Protein, then set to divide by 10.99

Field 2 - rename Carbs, then set to divide by 9.17

Field 3 - rename Fat, then set to divide by 3.89

Field 4 - rename Fibre, then set to divide by 34.48

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Eabhabear wrote: »
    I need a bit of help. I'm heading to Spain at the weekend with college crew and I've no idea what I'm gonna eat over there. I know most of them will be living off McDonalds as its the cheapest and handiest option. Does anyone have any advice as to how to control the eating?

What annoys me is I have to miss my meeting on Weds as I have an exam in college and I'm a pound off my third silver seven and I'm afraid when I WI next Weds after Spain I'll be up a few lbs.

Thanks Eabha x

Don't worry too much its possible to go away and still maintain a loss. I was away last year twice and came back 3 lbs lighter each time! you just need to remember you're doing this for you and don't let "ah sure you're on holidays" be a mantra!

If you have to go to mcdonalds, maybe get one of their chicken salads (no dressing!), drink plenty of water, and if you're walking round sight seeing sure you're earning activity points

One thing i would recommend is on the first day of the trip go to the supermarket and buy some low point snacks like what you'd have at home, that way you can have them in your bag to stop you running into McDonalds when you get hungry! but don't stress too much, enjoy your trip, you've picked up the skills to manage it in your class. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 catcha

Hi All, great thread - it's inspiring to hear so many of you are doing so well with your weightloss (and comforting to know I'm not the only one who struggles occassionally)! I just returned to ww for the first time after being away for months, and I'm practically back up where I started. Trying to be positive though - its a new year and a new plan so I'll get there! I like the look of the plan, it seems to encourage eating the right things more (no more choosing chocolate instead of fruit!). My goal is to loose 10 lbs in the next 12 weeks. Good luck during the week. :)

Don't worry too much its possible to go away and still maintain a loss. I was away last year twice and came back 3 lbs lighter each time! you just need to remember you're doing this for you and don't let "ah sure you're on holidays" be a mantra!

If you have to go to mcdonalds, maybe get one of their chicken salads (no dressing!), drink plenty of water, and if you're walking round sight seeing sure you're earning activity points

One thing i would recommend is on the first day of the trip go to the supermarket and buy some low point snacks like what you'd have at home, that way you can have them in your bag to stop you running into McDonalds when you get hungry! but don't stress too much, enjoy your trip, you've picked up the skills to manage it in your class. ;)

Thanks dottie. I forgot that McDonalds do salads. Its not something you normally associate with them! That's a good idea about the snacks. I might bring some of my usual snacks with me. It's encouraging to hear that you lost weight after holidays.

Welcome catcha. Forget about before and start afresh now. Your plan is certainly achievable. If you lose 1lb a week you will reach it no bother. Some weeks you may find you could lose more than that. The main thing is to stick with it even on your bad days

x

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eimear1

Eabhabear wrote: »

Thanks Eabha x

The internet is your friend! If it was me i'd be googling the local area to see where the nearest market is the day you get there - can't be hard to convince a crowd of girls to go bargain-hunting! Use that to stock up on fresh fruit and stuff to keep in your room/apartment, so even if you do end up heading for McD's, you can fill up on something healthy before you go (link for McD's nutrition info is somewhere on one of these threads), and have a smaller meal.
    Check out restaurant reviews online to see if you can find a cheap restaurant that you can suggest as an alternative to McD's, otherwise just take advantage of the weather to get out and about walking or swimming.
    Enjoy the weekend, doubt you'll do as much damage as you think!
    E x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 venus11

here you go, someone else posted it on another board:

If you have iwatcher, go to calculator then custom, go to configure and modify each field as follows;

Field 1 - rename Protein, then set to divide by 10.99

Field 2 - rename Carbs, then set to divide by 9.17

Field 3 - rename Fat, then set to divide by 3.89

Field 4 - rename Fibre, then set to divide by 34.48

Thanks a million Sandy C sorted at last

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Minx23

Hi all.

Im totally new to boards but Iv been following this thread and I just had to jump in because Iv found it a fantastic help! Im also hoping to get some advice and help from you guys with regards to pointing things as I havent got a calculator and the wheel points finder can be very fiddly.

Has anyone tried any of the M&S 'Count On Us' meals? I bought 3 last night (there was a 3 for 2 offer) Chicken Korma, Chicken Tikka & Chicken Lemongrass Curry. Using my wheel points finder I got a points value of 11 propoints for each meal.

However I had to do a bit of rough estimation because on the points finder wheel the protein only goes up to 25 and there were 29 in each portion roughly. If anyone knows exactly the propoints value or even a website where I could find out that would be great.

Best of luck this week everyone x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 hillyrob

Minx23 wrote: »
    Hi all.

Im totally new to boards but Iv been following this thread and I just had to jump in because Iv found it a fantastic help! Im also hoping to get some advice and help from you guys with regards to pointing things as I havent got a calculator and the wheel points finder can be very fiddly.

Has anyone tried any of the M&S 'Count On Us' meals? I bought 3 last night (there was a 3 for 2 offer) Chicken Korma, Chicken Tikka & Chicken Lemongrass Curry. Using my wheel points finder I got a points value of 11 propoints for each meal.

However I had to do a bit of rough estimation because on the points finder wheel the protein only goes up to 25 and there were 29 in each portion roughly. If anyone knows exactly the propoints value or even a website where I could find out that would be great.

Best of luck this week everyone x
    Hi I've checked online on the food tracker and this is what I found:
    Count on us chicken tikka with rice 100grams = 3PP
    Count on us chicken tikka masala with rice 400grams = 11PP
    There are lots of count on us stuff on here, but not the other ones you bought. If you give me the info per 100grams I will work it out for you.;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement