Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling books.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Just while this topic is alaive again, I can not recommend highly enough "Pain and Passion: The History of Stampede Wrestling by Heath McCoy".

If you even have a passing 9interest in the Hart family, I would still highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Just while this topic is alaive again, I can not recommend highly enough "Pain and Passion: The History of Stampede Wrestling by Heath McCoy".

If you even have a passing 9interest in the Hart family, I would still highly recommend it.

Still on my to buy list.

Also want to get Meltzer's Tributes I add II, I'd imagne they're amazing, having read the likes of the brilliant Misawa tribute in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

WWE just need to stop writing their bios like everyone reading them is mentally deficient (fair enough a good chunk of them are lol) with 3 page chapters loads of pictures and giant writing like Rey Mysterios

EdK wrote: »
    WWE just need to stop writing their bios like everyone reading them is mentally deficient (fair enough a good chunk of them are lol) with 3 page chapters loads of pictures and giant writing like Rey Mysterios

Yeah I generally avoid like the plague unless they're given a widespread recommendation like Regal's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭mr.mayo

Great thread, lots of great info in here. I haven't read many wrestling books purely because I was a late starter. Just bought my first one on impulse, saw Bret's book in ASDA when I was in the North and thought "Hmm, this could be interesting" lol. I started it as soon as I got home and was finished within a week, phenomenal book, really captivating stuff. I was completely engrossed from beginning to end, over 500 pages in the smallest font I've ever seen and I was still aching for more! The amount of detail was just amazing, there really was a mammoth amount of work put into it

After that I started looking in the internet for some bargains, I got Foley's first one on ebay for less than a fiver (including P&P) and needless to say, I was very pleased with myself! Another fantastic read, I love Foley's unique brand of humour. You can tell there was also a huge amount of effort put into this book, great read and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

After that I picked up Stone Cold's book from the library. Although it was enjoyable, it was just too damn short. There was basically no effort put into it at all, it flies through his career far too quickly. There is very little detail, and almost half the book is pictures ffs! Overall it was a disappointment to me, I guess I had been spoiled with Bret & Foley's!

Next up for me is either Jericho's or another one of Foley's, whichever is the cheapest will prevail!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,981 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Get Jericho's. It's probably the best wrestling bio.

Eddie's is damn good too.

Regal's book is very good. Shawn's is okay. As is Jerry Lawler's and Kurt Angle's (only enjoyed the first part of the book).

Ric Flair's is interesting too and I enjoyed Bischoff's.

Ones to avoid: The Rock, Hulk Hogan, Ted DiBiase and André.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭mr.mayo

Didn't Rock write his in his mid 20's? If that's the case then I'd imagine it's something like Ashley Cole's book lol

Just ordered Jericho's book off ebay, also picked up Kurt Angle's for only like €4 including P&P!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Willie Stroker

Read Bishoff , Jerchio , Shawn Michaels and listened to Mick Foley and Stone Cold as long I listened to Kurt Angle RF Shoot , Bob Holly and currentely to Jeff Hardy not bad for a 14 year old hay , Jericho is a great read so is bishoff . Not the biggest fan of Hulk Hogan, so wont be reading that one..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

- The second autobiography of Chris Jericho has been officially titled Undisputed: How to Become the World Champion in 1,372 Easy Steps, due for release in February 16, 2011 (US and Canada afaik)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

- The second autobiography of Chris Jericho has been officially titled Undisputed: How to Become the World Champion in 1,372 Easy Steps, due for release in February 16, 2011 (US and Canada afaik)

really looking forward to this, loved his first one and will deifnatley be picking this one up!

• Advertisement

really looking forward to this, loved his first one and will deifnatley be picking this one up!

+1

If it's anything like A Lion's Tale, it'll be epic. Can't wait

The complete listing of forthcoming books related to professional wrestling:

7/20: WWE Rumble Road - Untold Stories from Outside the Ring by Jon Robison.

10/1: Countdown to Lockdown by Mick Foley

10/5: WWE Heroes: Rise of the Firstborn

10/26: Rey Mysterio: Behind the Mask paperback release

11/30: WWE Championships by Kevin Sullivan

12/7: WWE Cross Rhodes by Goldust and Mark Vancil

December, Date TBA: WWE Confidential by Aaron Feigenbaum

Chris Jericho's second autobiography "Undisputed: How to Become the World Champion in 1,372 Easy Steps" will be released on 2/16/11.

ECW Press will be releasing "Straight from the Hart" by Bruce on 2/1/11.

The Road Warriors' biography "Danger, Death and the Rush of Wrestling" being written by "Road Warrior Animal" Joe Laurinaitis will be released on 3/1/11 by Medallion Press. Paul Ellering will be writing the foreword.

RELEASE DATE TO BE ANNOUNCED

Crowbar Press will be releasing books written by Stan Hansen, Bill Demott and Tony Atlas.

Tammy Sytch is penning a book about her career.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The Jericho book will likely be brilliant. A Lion's Tale might be the funniest book I've ever read.

Jim Ross is working on a book too. Someone asked him about a release date on his site and he said the earliest possible date would be 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Loved Bret Hart's book..just starting Shawn Michael's now to get more balanced view of what went on back then cos I was'nt around..it's muck..should i keep going?.awh i thought Jericho's was due this summer..first was excellent..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

I finnished ''The stone cold truth'' last week. Picked it up for 3 quid in a second shop. I thought it would be alot better and longer. It felt like reading Forest Gump with all the southern slang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Willie Stroker

Finished Bret Harts book which was great titled Hitman ... Might Batista's one paperback believe its cheap in eason !

Your username is epic Willie.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

flahavaj wrote: »
    Your username is epic Willie.

That is all.
    I really wanna delete my account and set up one called Epic Willie.

Voltwad wrote: »
    I really wanna delete my account and set up one called Epic Willie.

Genuine LOL from me at that one Volt, well played sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Chris Jericho is working in a new book that has a preliminary title of "Undisputed: How to Become the World Champion in 1,372 Steps." The book will feature a forward by Mick Foley and is set for publication by Grand Central on February 16, 2011.

In the book, Jericho talks about his ups and downs on this path to greatness, how he joined the WWE, starting his rock band Fozzy and his relationship with Vince McMahon. He takes some time to talk about Chris Benoit, who was a close friend of Jericho's, and gives some insight into the man.

On Benoit's sense of humor: "Not a giggle, not a chuckle, not a tee-hee…never went ‘Ha.' But when somebody threw up or fell down the stairs, he would laugh out loud for hours on end."

On being Benoit's friend: "I considered Chris to be one of my closest companions, but it wasn't always easy to be his friend. You had to take the good with the bad when it came to his friendship."

On hearing that Benoit's family was dead: "My gut feeling was Chris had killed them."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Looking forward to that book, have it prebooked on amazon.
    His first was brilliant, only shame is it's size. Not exactly easy to bring on the train for example for a subtle read.

Has anyone read HBKs heartbreak and triumph?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ha, was just about to post that very thing about Jerichos new one.

Happy days, I am going to DC in Feb, so should get one hot off the presses and no need for no postage either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Zack Ryder has previewed his forward for jerichos book on twitter :pac:
    When Chris direct messaged me on twitter and asked that I write the foreword for his new book, I was thrilled. I could write about all the classic matches Chris has had or about all of the championships that he has won, but you're going to read about that in this book. I'm going to make this foreword a little more personal. Like yours truly, Chris is a bro from Long Island. Maybe that's why I instantly became a Jerichoholic in the mid 90's when he entered my living room via a television screen. Now 15 years later, Chris is a member of my Zack Pack! It's truly unbelievable! I'll never forget searching for weeks for his WCW action figure. He was the hardest one to find in the set. That shouldn't be a surprise considering other figures in that set were Goldberg with a construction hat and Rick Steiner with a gremlin on a leash. When I was in 9th grade, I celebrated my birthday at the WWF New York Restaurant. Who did I pick to be on my cake? You guessed it...Y2J! When I first started wrestling, I didn't shave my forearms because Chris didn't either. Now I have to shave them because my lady likes me nice and smooth. Speaking of body hair, Chris naired my back once after a show. He confessed that it was one of the greatest moments of his career. I should probably keep this foreword short. I wouldn't want to steal the spotlight from the actual book. In closing, whether you like him or not, Chris Jericho is the best in the world as what he does. Woo Woo Woo. You Know It!

funny mofo!

167239553.jpg

Personally I think it should've stuck with the
    "Chris Jericho; 1372 steps to becoming a world champion".

The decided title seems a little.. Um.. Cocky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

CMpunked wrote: »
    167239553.jpg

Personally I think it should've stuck with the
    "Chris Jericho; 1372 steps to becoming a world champion".

The decided title seems a little.. Um.. Cocky.

The cover is more than a bit Cocky.Might buy this in a few months as a Paperback.When is this out in Ireland.I may get it for my Brother for a late Christmas present if it ain't out until next year(we usually share dvd's,books,etc about Wrestling).I read Harts book but after seeing him totally let himself down with his return i'm approaching this with Caution.That Quote about him thinking Chris killed his Family was bonechilling.If Benoit was like that why didn't someone do something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

CMpunked wrote: »
    Looking forward to that book, have it prebooked on amazon.
    His first was brilliant, only shame is it's size. Not exactly easy to bring on the train for example for a subtle read.

Has anyone read HBKs heartbreak and triumph?

My Brother read it,said it could of been better.He barely admits Bret was a good worker in it.Lot of bad blood cleary when he wrote it.My brother is a Huge Hbk fan but was a bit dissapointed.He'd of rathered a Wrestler of his calibre to write it at the end of his Career.I think some of it was Ghost written aswell,not sure but I think it was.I'd go for Eddie's book if you haven't read it.Only taint of it was that he sometimes went in & out of Character.

Jericho's book cover looks hammy as hell.

Anyone got any info on Foley's book? I'm looking at it here;

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781409115717/Countdown-to-Lockdown

and it's not out yet, but according to this one;

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780446564618/

It is? Would like to get it by next Friday if that's at all possible, so just thought I'd ask here prior to ordering... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

When is the Jericho one out? I have it in my head its due end of Feb? Which will be handy as I will be in the US then.

Anyone got any info on Foley's book? I'm looking at it here;

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9781409115717/Countdown-to-Lockdown

and it's not out yet, but according to this one;

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780446564618/

It is? Would like to get it by next Friday if that's at all possible, so just thought I'd ask here prior to ordering... :)

Its already out on amazon as they can ship from america and sell from england as theres no problems with customs etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Countdown-Lockdown-Hardcore-Mick-Foley/dp/0446564613/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1285685978&sr=1-2

As for getting it before next friday could be touch and go.
    Its not officially released in britian/here so anyone that says they have it is just going through the same route as above.

Its not officially released in america until friday either.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    When is the Jericho one out? I have it in my head its due end of Feb? Which will be handy as I will be in the US then.

Bring a spare suitcase with you and bring a hape of them home - you'll make a killing.:pac:

Advertisement