Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling books.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I had certainly given that some thought. Might buy 4 or 5 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Honestly lads, I don't think I've ever been this excited to read a book as much as I am for Y2J's 2nd

• Registered Users Posts: 9,690 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Just finished Jericho's book and I was a little disappointed. Probably had expectation that were too high given all the great reviews it go in here.

Don't get me wrong it was still very good but I prefered Bret's - probably because of the details he goes into when describing matches and the ring psychology side of things. Jericho's was much funnier of course .. definetly up there with Mick foley's first book for laugh out loud stories

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

gimmick wrote: »
    When is the Jericho one out? I have it in my head its due end of Feb? Which will be handy as I will be in the US then.

February 16 (2011) apparently.

And the US Amazon is selling Foley's newest book now. European release October 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

Picked up Scott Keith's Dungeon of Death: Chris Benoit and the Hart Family Curse. Cannot express just how bad this book is.

It's like reading an extended, ignorant, smug blog post. He glosses overs peoples careers / lives, making references to events in people's pasts, but rarely explaining the actual events. When he writes about matches, he can't just say someone had a great match, or a classic match, he has to give the match a star rating, so Bret Hart beating Mr Perfect for the IC belt was a four and a quarter star classic match.

If anyone's tempted to buy this book, don't. I'll happily give to it anyone free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

Honestly lads, I don't think I've ever been this excited to read a book as much as I am for Y2J's 2nd

was excited about foley's second but even though it was good still felt a wee bit disappointed by it

Picked up Scott Keith's Dungeon of Death: Chris Benoit and the Hart Family Curse. Cannot express just how bad this book is.

Sounds very similar to Ring Of Hell. So bad, I put it down after a chapter. badly written, tabloid style shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

badly written, tabloid style shíte.

Exactly how I'd describe it. Substituting opinion for fact. Better to read wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I am reading "The World according to Dutch" by Dutch Mantella at the moment. It's a collection of stories from his 40 years in wrestling rather than the usual by the numbers autobiography.

It's a very entertaining read and his writing style is particularly good. Worth checking out.

recently read 'Wrestling's 101 Strangest Matches' by Oliver Hurley. Very very good read for a short flight or journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

jmolloy wrote: »
    recently read 'Wrestling's 101 Strangest Matches' by Oliver Hurley. Very very good read for a short flight or journey.
    Read it myself this week, hard to believe some of the matches people came up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I've had it sitting on my desk for a few weeks now, I must get round to reading it.

I enjoyed Foley's new book, I just love his writing style. He's incredibly honest and realistic when it comes to his own limitations, probably too much so really. While it's not nearly as great as his first two books, it's still a fun read.

Was just looking at it on eBay. Might thow a bid at it.

Anyone heard anything about Sex, Lies and Headlocks??

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭sixfingered

I read it about 7/8 years ago and loved it. This was before I ever read much online stuf about wrestling so a lot of it was new to me. Worth picking up if you see it on the cheap though.

I really enjoyed sex lies and headlocks. It's an interesting read

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

I really enjoyed this book and was surprised with how many obscure matches were put in. I began to read it expecting just stories from the main American promotions and a couple of the Japanese deathmatches, the ones that every hardcore fan would be aware of. Instead I was overjoyed to see that promotions like Chikara ("24 hour" match), Dragon Gate (The ring breaks, who needs a ring?), Big Japan (Matches take place in a house built inside Korakuen Hall) and DDT (YOSHIHIKO!!!) were included as well as bizarre matches from around the world that took place decades ago. Reccommend it for any wrestling fan looking for a simple and fun book to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Any opinions on Mick Foley's latest book?spied it in Easons on the way into work this morning and am thinking about picking it up on my way home.

I enjoyed his first two books but wasn't that keen on his third(Hardcore Diaries)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭duuuaaaane

I picked up Foley's new one. Interviewing him on monday so need to get it read! also found a copy of Eric Bischoff's book which I've wanted to read for years so bought that too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

Any opinions on Mick Foley's latest book?spied it in Easons on the way into work this morning and am thinking about picking it up on my way home.

I enjoyed his first two books but wasn't that keen on his third(Hardcore Diaries)

I picked it up yesterday, but haven't been impressed so far. It's showing exactly the same faults I found with Hardcore Diaries (largely terrible in my opinion).

Got it in on my way home,read the first two chapters on the bus,seems very similarly written to Hardcore Diaries alright which isnt good,but hopefully what he discusses as the book progresses will be a lot more interesting then the tripe he harped on about in Hardcore Diaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭sixfingered

I'm nearly finished reading Vince Russo's 'Rope Opera: How WCW killed Vince Russo' and it is possibly the worst book I've ever read. I know I should've known better but I picked it up on the cheap and thought it might be interesting. It's not.
    It's extremely self-indulgent, littered with typos, full of one-sided stories and he goes off on horrible, pointless tangents throughout. Once I get properly into a book I have to finish it, so I've struggled along with it and I'm about 20 pages from the finish line.
    Give it a miss guys, even if it's dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

I'm nearly finished reading Vince Russo's 'Rope Opera: How WCW killed Vince Russo' and it is possibly the worst book I've ever read. I know I should've known better but I picked it up on the cheap and thought it might be interesting. It's not.
    It's extremely self-indulgent, littered with typos, full of one-sided stories and he goes off on horrible, pointless tangents throughout. Once I get properly into a book I have to finish it, so I've struggled along with it and I'm about 20 pages from the finish line.
    Give it a miss guys, even if it's dirt cheap.

Agreed. I only read bits of it and it was terrible (not to mention full of lies) Avoid at all costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

Just finished reading Foleys new book. It starts off slowly, but after halfway it really picks up. His opinions about drugs and the final chapter is especially interesting.

Reading Sex, Lies and Headlocks at the moment.

Very good read. While not completely thorough, it does give a very good history of Vinces rise and rise.

Just finished reading Bret's book there and I enjoyed it very much. I read William Regal's book last week too.I think Regal's book is the best wrestling book that I've ever read and I've read plenty over the years.

After downloading Goldust's new one now and am looking forward to getting stuck into it!

Did not realise Regal had a book.

Just finished Sex, Lies and Headlocks the other day. Despite its awful title it is a very good read. In reality it is almost a history on American wrestling for dummies, giving a decent synopsis of most things from the 1950s onwards, but not a whole lot of details on anything. I would certainly recommend it. One downside of it are a few glaring innaccuracies, but my count of those was single figures.

Yeah Regal's book is really excellent,very funny and brutally honest in regards to his drug/alcohol addictions.

Has anyone read Dustin Rhode's book it sounds interesting enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Jesus. Ive almost given up on twitter because of his constant plugging. I just want to shake him and say.. "You wore gold facepaint and played some sort of sexual deviant freak that hovered around the lower mid card. As much as you may be an unsung hero of the IWC, interest for your book will not be huge in comparison to those who came before you."

what annoys me about goldust releasing a book, is who hasn't released a book yet.

I'd love to see HHH, or Undertaker's or J.R's book out before Goldust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Seriously doubt Undertaker would ever do anything like that. I can see HH putting one out down the line though.

Advertisement