Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling books.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

CMpunked wrote: »
    I seen Jerichos book in easons earlier for €22.
    Went to waterstones to see if it was in there. Looks like I'm getting it from easons tomorrow :D

Nice! Although I'm a bit disappointed he's not doing a book-signing stop off here in Dublin :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'll definitely be picking this up. The first one was one of the funniest books I've ever read, especially the chapter about the strange people on the video tape. I was in tears of laughter reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Got it for like 13 euro on Amazon. Expecting it to be here tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

Undisputed is definitely on par with A Lion's Tale so far,the stories of Jericho's run ins with Chyna,big nose and even Vince himself are very interesting!

I'm finding it frooter but that could be because it's covering a time period that I've watched and know better. Thankfully he does elaborate on why he disliked the Chyna fued instead of it being just the one "Fueding with a woman?!" style comment on his DVD.

Any further insight into the mind of VKM and what goes on backstage is always appreciated. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I seen Jerichos book in easons earlier for €22.
    Went to waterstones to see if it was in there. Looks like I'm getting it from easons tomorrow :D

I thought Waterstones went out of business, the one in The Jervis Shopping Centre closed a couple of weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Picked up Undisputed for 22 euro in Easons today, can't wait to get stuck into it. Also picked up Foley's "Countdown to Lockdown" for 16.50

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Undisputed is awesome,Countdown To Lockdown not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Picked up Undisputed for 22 euro in Easons today, can't wait to get stuck into it. Also picked up Foley's "Countdown to Lockdown" for 16.50

What section was it in? The Mrs checked it out and could not find it.

gimmick wrote: »
    What section was it in? The Mrs checked it out and could not find it.

They've moved around the sports section again. Walk down past the magazines, turn right, stay on the right hand side and the sports books are on the shelves on your left hand side next to you. I think it's where the travel books used to be. There was about 6 in stock when I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Charisteas wrote: »
    I thought Waterstones went out of business, the one in The Jervis Shopping Centre closed a couple of weeks ago.

Did it?
    Thats odd. I was on about the one in drogheda.
    Does really good business so id say the jervis must not have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

May pop in to hughes and hughes tomorrow.(is that what its called? the one in stephens green shopping centre)

Cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Did it?
    Thats odd. I was on about the one in drogheda.
    Does really good business so id say the jervis must not have been.

Sorry my mistake, they just closed a few stores around the country as a cost-cutting measure. HMV are doing the same this year apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Charisteas wrote: »
    Sorry my mistake, they just closed a few stores around the country as a cost-cutting measure. HMV are doing the same this year apparently.

No worries. You didnt know.
    That sucks, if drogheda lose HMV, well, then we would officially have nothing!!

In an attempt to keep this post on topic i present to you:
    A non wrestling-book in the wrestling book thread.
    tumblr_lgs5kj0BeF1qfo293.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Smashed through Jericho's book; read it yesterday. Really great read, but not as good as the first book (which was all wrestling). I'll admit that I didn't pay that much attention to the Fozzy chapters where he talks about celebs.

Thoughts on it :
    Triple H didn't come off as bad as I thought, Jericho more alludes to backstage goings on than actually saying it. It's funny, he has no respect for Chyna but says she smells nice and maybe the fame/relationships got to her head. The Mick Foley digs are hilarious and leave when they wear out their welcome. It's quite sad he never got to have a big feud with Eddie. I assume when Jericho mentions HBK being out of it and passing out in Vince's office that it must've been 99-00 before he came back to wrestle.

There's some really funny lines that I won't spoil. But look for a quote from Ken Shamrock :pac:

Also nice to see that one of Benoit's best friends speaks honestly about him instead of shying away. He succinctly tells everyone what it was like to be his friend and lays out all of Benoit's problems and the aftermath of trying to come to terms with it.

Jericho is a beacon of hope for all aspiring wrestlers. He had a lot of detractors and people wanting him to fail -- and was never supposed to be World Champion. WWE have never truly gotten behind him and as a victim of some unfortunate happenstances (eg Tripper's quad tear) a lot of his big plans were nixxed. He never complains about it; he's extremely humble and grateful.

He includes Natties phrase "settle your tea kettle" which I marked out to! It must be a go-to phrase and actually Cole set her up to use it.

Also, WWWYKI!

Overall was an engrossing read and I'll definitely pick it up again down the line.

For those wondering the book's timeframe is from
    his 99 debut to right before his 2007 debut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Yeah flew through it myself. Some bits are absolutely hilarious, "cup" and the goldberg bit hat me in stitches. I loved the book, have to say. Really happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Mrs gimmick brought it home for me yesterday. I am headed to the States Saaturday, so will be my flight reading.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

About to start the Goldberg chapter.

I'm enjoying it but I find not quite as much as TLT. He seems to not spend that much time on feuds and stories, zipping from one feud to another (eg; I think at one stage, he jumps from WM17 to WM18 with only a small chapter on Fozzy in between). I know he can't talk about everything in detail. Maybe Bret and Foley's books have spoiled me cause they are so intrinsic in their storytelling. Still, really like it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

flew through the book i liked the book but was a tad disspointing for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Just finished it,was good but lacked the detail of a lions tale,also too many chapters on Fozzy,a band that I'm sure the majority of people buying the book don't really care about too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Ugh was hoping Fozzy would bearly be mentioned,but he seems to drone on about them according to some.I'd get this book now if it he didn't & I heard it ends before his return from his break.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

GTR63 wrote: »
    Ugh was hoping Fozzy would bearly be mentioned,but he seems to drone on about them according to some.I'd get this book now if it he didn't & I heard it ends before his return from his break.

I'd say a good 3/8s of the book is about Fozzy. It seems to go WWE, Fozzy, WWE, Fozzy, WWE chapter wise. Then you get three chapters about WWE which ends at him leaving and then the rest of the book till the end is about Fozzy and his showbiz life.

Still, I did lol at the
    S Club and Lordi
    mentions later on in the book <_<

Just finished it,was good but lacked the detail of a lions tale,also too many chapters on Fozzy,a band that I'm sure the majority of people buying the book don't really care about too much.

Agree completely.

I enjoyed it but there was far too much fozzy (Even though some of the storys were funny) and not enough detail on his WWE story lines.

Doesn't get into my top 3 wrestling books unfortunately.

1 - Mick Foley - Have a nice day
    2 - Chris Jericho - Around the world in spandex
    3 - Bret Harts book

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Flew through Jerichos new book the weekend. Its very good, not as good as ''A lions tale''(Available in a bookstore near you) lol, but still very good. I thought he would have more stories about backstage happenings in WWE and as said above there was to much Fozzy, although some good stories
    Pushing the skinhead on crutches
    :D
    You cant help but shed a tear when his mother dies, unless you have a heart of stone or glass eyes

The Benoit chapter is excellent with great stories, especially
    the garbage can full of piss in the hotel then the creepy phone call after it.

Its hard not to feel for Jericho too. His dive into Hollywood was not great
    Getting shafted by Joan Rivers, that singing show, trying out next to the pirates and his limo being attacked by horny hillbillys

All in all if you like ALT you will like this this book. His sense of humour and comic writing will have you in stiches.
    Contains 0% real juice

Did ye know that
    Mick Foley has never beaten Jericho
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

Really enjoted Undisputed got it yesterday and flew through it. Jericho has a nice writing style which makes it easy to read. Despite not been a Fozzy fan I found those bit's interesting as he never oversells the group.

For some reason
    expected it to be harsher on trips and chyna comes out worst of all the wrestlers mentioned.
    but Jericho was very honest when it came to talking about payoffs and the like. Always enjoyed the rock and jericho in the ring and was good to read they were friendly outside it

The Benoit chapter was well written and
    you feel for him having to try to comprehend what his friend and idol has done reading the description of scouring the internet and sitting n his sons room

Not quite as good a ALT but better than 95% of Wrestling books out there

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sliotor

Just finished undisputed really enjoyed it, probably preferred lions tale alright. I flew through the book and it was a great read, really well written. To address the fozzy chapters, i found them interesting. the book is about the man behind the Chris Jericho character, fozzy and Hollywood are an intractable part of the story and i am glad that he didn’t ignore them and also that he was honest about it and didn’t glam it up.

I also bought the goldust book with it and i am going to start reading it. I was wondering has anyone read it and is it good, bad, indifferent. I reckon it will be an interesting read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

sliotor wrote: »
    I also bought the goldust book with it and i am going to start reading it. I was wondering has anyone read it and is it good, bad, indifferent. I reckon it will be an interesting read.

Super disappointing, more of a recovery book than a Wrestling book.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭cena

gimmick wrote: »
    Mrs gimmick brought it home for me yesterday. I am headed to the States Saaturday, so will be my flight reading.

what part?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sliotor

drayme wrote: »
    Super disappointing, more of a recovery book than a Wrestling book.
    Yeah read the book since was broke and no money for dicey's.
    Thats a fair enough comment it is more of a recovery book, but it is still def worth a read to see what he went through and dustin rhodes is a man we dont know much about so it was an interesting insight. when you compare it to jericho's books it is not on the same league.

Advertisement