Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling books.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Oasis44

[quote=michael.etc...;59428815I'm waiting on Andre's arriving atm though- that should make for an interesting read[/quote]

I flicked through Andre's book and a big word of warning to anyone about to buy it - it is much more a synopsis of his time through the WWE i.e. like you would see in Wikipedia as oppossed to a proper biography.The guy wrote it basically just chronicoled (spell!) his time in WWE - no real juicy information. Decent enough pictures in there though. I decided not to buy it in the end. Picked up Jericho's book which was a good move.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Oasis44 wrote: »
    Best ones I've read are:

Chris Jericho (hilarious only downside is it only covers up to 1999)
    Eric Bischoffs (Great read - very insightful - defo recommend it)
    Ric Flairs (How could this not be good considering his career)
    Broken Harts (very good - owen would have been proud of his mrs)

I've had Jericho's for about 18 months and still not picked up, more due to lack of time rather than lack of interest, sadly. Bischoff's one is really good too, although he can twist some of the truth around to suit him, like the decline of WCW.

I've heard Martha's book is pretty good, I won't say any more because she's kinda lawyer happy and could take me to the cleaners ;)
    The Worst ones are:

The rocks, hulk hogans, stone cold

HHH and Undertakers are out in October - dead mans should be great

Rock & Hogans were terrible, both were cashin jobs on the success of Foley's first book and so they figured they could throw any old garbage on paper and make it sellable. Angle's one isn't great either and whatever you do, do NOT read Chyna's dirt rag.

Austin's one isn't really a book to be fair, and should never have been sold on the premise of being one. It's basically snippits of various interviews patched together.

Irony here is, being a HHH fan and a Taker hater, i'm actually really looking forward to Taker's book, and looking forward to avoiding HHH's one. Who'da thunk it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I liked the rocks book!!

thought it was interesting enough. Iv read it a few times like.

hahaha iv also read chynas a few times.. oh god.

That book came out in 2000 i think...
    You do realise you could have murdered the the book seller and you'd be out now!

I liked the rocks book!!

thought it was interesting enough. Iv read it a few times like.

You're from Cork so of course you liked it like:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I believe that was me who pointed that out. I also said that it explained his actions, but didn't excuse them. That was pretty much his stance on it too.

Basically he's not asking you to agree with his actions, but understand them. For those who haven't ready the book yet or haven't gotten to that point yet, without spoiling, but Julie comes across as an obsessive, headmelter of a partner who Bret had to pander to a lot. Even before they got married and had kids.

Of course, we're only getting one side of the story there, aren't we?:)

Do you think Bret has anything to lie or be particurly biased about though? The book has been praised for its honesty. I know Bret likes to tute his own horn but I think he was as fair and honest as he could be in the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lynnsback

So can we continue to discuss Bret's book here or do we start a new thread for that?

Just got the WWE Encyclopedia - very well presented and certainly loads of information but it is clearly written with young readers in mind i.e. the information they print on each wrestler is very WWE Friendly and certainly doesn't mention the numerous subsequent deaths of these same stars.

Sex Lies and Headlocks this aint:(

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lynnsback

I too liked the Chyna book. Only thing I didn't like is that it was too short. And of couse she didn't dish the dirt on her breakup with Paul or her cosmetic surgery :)

dancor wrote: »
    Do you think Bret has anything to lie or be particurly biased about though? The book has been praised for its honesty. I know Bret likes to tute his own horn but I think he was as fair and honest as he could be in the book.

Interesting question, i'm sorry I didn't get to answer it sooner, but I was away for a few days.
    It's not so much that he's lying, or telling the truth, but when it comes to his married life, we don't really know Julie's side of it, and pretty much a good chance we never will. Bret might "come across" as Mr honest and truthful in his book, but he's also had his fair share of bullsh*t, like in his first couple of shoot interviews from 2000 and 2001.

I've never read an autobiography where the author didn't try to pass off his opinion as complete truth anyway.
    lynnsback wrote: »
    So can we continue to discuss Bret's book here or do we start a new thread for that?

Neither! :D Book talk goes here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

I'm currently trying to get my hands on the midnight express 25th anniversary scrapbook it looks like it could be a little gem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Thought foleys 2 books were great. Austins\Rocks were boring. So far i'm liking Bret Harts book and i'm not that far into it he's just back from Japan for the 1st time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

EdK wrote: »
    I'm currently trying to get my hands on the midnight express 25th anniversary scrapbook it looks like it could be a little gem

The write up in the Observer this week truly whets the appetite alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Oasis44 wrote: »
    You're from Cork so of course you liked it like:D

Im not from cork...what a bizarre assumption.:eek:

Im not from cork...what a bizarre assumption.:eek:

Clearly you didn't get the joke.... LIKE! ;)
    Anyway, back on topic, books people! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

If ye had to suggest an absolute great read in terms of a wrestling biography which would it be? Ive only read Foleys first two and with the whole Bret Hart coming over recently and such i've been inspired to pick up another.

Off the bat ive quicly narrowed it down to Brets or Jerichos but if anyone would recommend one over the other or even another it'd be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Currently reading Heath McCoys History of Stampede wrestling and the Hart family. For those that enjoyed the Bret Hart book, it's a must read.

Really well, written and researched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Currently reading Heath McCoys History of Stampede wrestling and the Hart family. For those that enjoyed the Bret Hart book, it's a must read.

Really well, written and researched.

I've heard its incredible. Definitely next up for me. Where did you get it? Amazon?

flahavaj wrote: »
    I've heard its incredible. Definitely next up for me. Where did you get it? Amazon?

Yep. It arrived within a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Just finished reading Bret Hart's book on the way into work this morning. I've read a few wrestler's autobiographies over the last several years, and this is easily amongst the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Cactus Col wrote: »
    Just finished reading Bret Hart's book on the way into work this morning. I've read a few wrestler's autobiographies over the last several years, and this is easily amongst the best.

its brilliant isnt it? as far as wrestling books go it really is the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be! :p

/gets coat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

Yep. It arrived within a week.

Order this on Saturday on your recommendation, got here today!

It better be good :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ramsmobile

Finished Bret's book two weeks ago, and it is without a doubt the best wrestling autobiography ever - hard to see it ever being topped to be honest. Read my review of the book on Amazon.co.uk or on my blog at http://lordoftherams.com/blog/?p=17.

Have read all of Foley's book (and I agree, the third one is terrible - a real fall from grace), Bischoff's, Jerricho's, Hogan's (I enjoyed the stories about Andre the Giant), Guerrero's and Flair's. Have Shawn's and Batista's sitting amongst a pile of other books to read.

Is Dynamite's book out of print these days?

ramsmobile wrote: »
    Is Dynamite's book out of print these days?

Not sure, but i know highspots still have it listed on their site:
    http://www.highspots.com/product.asp?id=5387&category=109

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 ramsmobile

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Not sure, but i know highspots still have it listed on their site:
    http://www.highspots.com/product.asp?id=5387&category=109

Thanks for the link - will take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I was having a quick flick through Jim Cornette's Midnight Express book and I've got to say it's a really cool piece of work.

Order this on Saturday on your recommendation, got here today!

It better be good :pac:

I just finished reading it. It's the best book I've read in a long time. Hope you enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Judging from the reviews,McCoys stampede wrestling book will be next on my list.Cheers for the heads up vince

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

fatal wrote: »
    Judging from the reviews,McCoys stampede wrestling book will be next on my list.Cheers for the heads up vince

Add me to the band-wagon. It's a fantastic book. I absolutely loved it. McCoy's stuff is so nicely written, and even back to the history of Stu growing up- much more interesting than the norm. It's a good companion to the Bret book as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Bought the following two books yesterday:

9781416558903.jpg

and

51mNCYcrDgL._SS500_.jpg

Read the Million Dollar Man one in one sitting. It's good, but is quite short (only 245 pages with double spacing) and could do with being a little more detailed. It's one of the few books I've read that the author doesn't take pot shots at people he used to work with. He seems to be the most laid back, least bitter (not at all) ex-wrestler ever.

Wouldn't recommend it as a full price purchase, but if you see it on offer it's worth a read.

Should have the Andre book finished in a few days and I'll give my thoughts on that then.

Advertisement