Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling books.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I'm looking for a recommendation. What book has a good decent honest history of wrestling in the 80s? I'm talking the move from territories to the national stage. Wikipedia just doesn't cut it:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

I started reading Hogan's book yesterday. GOOD ****ING LORD.

4 PAGES. That's all it took and the book was nearly out the window.
    Alan Rouge wrote: »
    I'm looking for a recommendation. What book has a good decent honest history of wrestling in the 80s? I'm talking the move from territories to the national stage. Wikipedia just doesn't cut it:p

Christ, I tried to think, but i can't remember off the top of my head much of what I've read where. I think Lawler's is really interesting from a Memphis point of view- and how they coped. The Pro-Wrestling Hall of Fame: The Tag Teams is good from that perspective, because 80's tag teams are really well covered- but i guess isn't what you're looking for at all. Maybe someone else can remember better?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Alan Rouge wrote: »

The Ric Flair book would be a good overview.

This seems to be the book you're looking for: National Wrestling Alliance: The Untold Story of the Monopoly That Strangled Professional Wrestling. I've never read it but I vaguely remember people saying it was good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/National-Wrestling-Alliance-Strangled-Professional/dp/1550227416/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258886205&sr=1-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

I just finished reading Hogans newest effort and I thought it was quite good....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Just finished Pipers there the other day. Very good read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

I just finished reading Hogans newest effort and I thought it was quite good....

Imo, it was awful. The way Hogan portrayed himself, you'd swear he was God (which isn't new). New game, count the amoint of times Hogan says the words "Brother" in it.

Might get the Rey book next. 20e from Eason's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Anyone know if any decent books are available on ebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

just read jerichos again just brilliant book and greatly written by jericho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

sky88 wrote: »
    just read jerichos again just brilliant book and greatly written by jericho

It is. I wasn't expecting that much (even though I think he's got a great mind for the business) and ended up finishing it within 4 days.

I really hope he holds off on a follow-up until he retires or leaves the WWE. I'd say he could tell a few stories....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The Ric Flair book would be a good overview.

This seems to be the book you're looking for: National Wrestling Alliance: The Untold Story of the Monopoly That Strangled Professional Wrestling. I've never read it but I vaguely remember people saying it was good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/National-Wrestling-Alliance-Strangled-Professional/dp/1550227416/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258886205&sr=1-1

Ya thats on my to-get list, heard it was good.

Also have to still get Meltzer's Obituaries books.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

090302heenanbook.jpg

Highly recommend Bobby Heenan's book. Great and funny read, as to be expected fom The Brain

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brethitmanhart

I really liked Bret's book, so detailed and he didnt try to make himself out to be the greatest guy in the world.

Martha Harts Broken Harts was a good book too...obviously it was very sad.

Going to read Jericho's next when I get the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I really liked Bret's book, so detailed and he didnt try to make himself out to be the greatest guy in the world.

I honestly got a different impression from it (Guess its all down to opinion that you are obviously a fan of his and I am not) Too many times throughout the book it was "I slept with this girl but it was my wife's fault" I know he says at 1 point that its not her fault he done it but he says about 5 different times it was. Didn't put him in a great light in my eyes at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Finally got around to starting Jericho's book last night. Bought it a few years back and it kinda got pushed off time and time again for one reason or another.

Have to say that from what I have read so far, that it is a very enjoyable read with a good sense of humour shining through.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brethitmanhart

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    I honestly got a different impression from it (Guess its all down to opinion that you are obviously a fan of his and I am not) Too many times throughout the book it was "I slept with this girl but it was my wife's fault" I know he says at 1 point that its not her fault he done it but he says about 5 different times it was. Didn't put him in a great light in my eyes at all.

I can't remember him blaming his wife in all fairness, he'd give an excuse that he used at the time like "I was lonely because she wasn't there" but he never blamed her iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I'm reading "Drawing Heat the Hard Way" by Larry Matyzik (right hand man to former NWA president Sam Mucnhick) at the moment.

It's a really interesting read that goes as deep into wrestling as any book I've ever read. Larry has done a tonne of interviews up here if you want to get a sample of the tone of the book, click here for this great audio interview:

http://57gold.com/playerMP3.asp?v=275

You can order the book here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Heat-Hard-Way-Wrestling/dp/1550228994

Reganio 2 wrote: »

TBH, it wasn't that so much that coloured my opinion of him - he was pretty frank about the fact that he was a fairly useless husband (certainly fidelity-wise) and the forward to the book thanked his first wife for "putting up with me as long as she did". Yeah, he feels he was ina sh1t marriage, and many cheating husbands do - some even are! At least he admitted it.

There were other things that got to me about it, and made me think less of him. Whatever you say, though, it seems to be an honest account of his life - as he sees it. Which is all we can ask for I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Very true, he seems to have some major insecurity issues it seems just from reading the book. It's like he is trying to convince you that he is the man and what he is doing is somehow right. Like when he would say "I beat Mr.X in a match and walked to the back and Mr.Y was there, crying thanking me for putting on a great match" Too many times he does it in the book for my liking but I guess like you said fair play to him for being honest (As far as we know)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

I finally got around to reading A Lions Tale, what an amazing book, cant wait to read Jerichos next book, which hes writing at the moment

I finally got around to reading A Lions Tale, what an amazing book, cant wait to read Jerichos next book, which hes writing at the moment

I love the book, Jericho has such a good sense of humour in it. He's actually finished writing his 2nd book. It'll be released in America/Canada in the autumn of this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,690 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Great thread with lots of good advice lads, Think i'll pick up Jericho's book next based on the reviews here.

I'm not one for buying things of the internet so hopefully I'll pick it up in a book shop made of "bricks and morter" as someone put it earlier in the thread.

I recently finished Bret Hart's book - I was never much of a fan in the 90's and couldn't understand the appeal he had to others but after reading the book i'm a massive fan now.

It is a bit one sided at times but anyone writing a biography can only tell it as they saw it.

His obsession with been the world champion and the main man in the business was scary, and he protrays his family as a bunch of crazies (which they probably were).. The stuff he wrote about dynamite is heart wrenching - must get his book too.

Keep the reviews going !!

Great thread with lots of good advice lads, Think i'll pick up Jericho's book next based on the reviews here.

I'm not one for buying things of the internet so hopefully I'll pick it up in a book shop made of "bricks and morter" as someone put it earlier in the thread.

I recently finished Bret Hart's book - I was never much of a fan in the 90's and couldn't understand the appeal he had to others but after reading the book i'm a massive fan now.

It is a bit one sided at times but anyone writing a biography can only tell it as they saw it.

His obsession with been the world champion and the main man in the business was scary, and he protrays his family as a bunch of crazies (which they probably were).. The stuff he wrote about dynamite is heart wrenching - must get his book too.

Keep the reviews going !!

Funny I just listened to a shoot with the New Age Outlaws recently - though they're not the most reliable pair, I think they're right when they say that Hart took being the champ way too seriously.* Kip James claimed that, when Hart asked him who he thought the better wrestler was and he answered 'Shawn Michaels', Hart went very huffy. I'd believe that.

*They also note that he wasn't the first, and he won't be the last.

I'm reading "Drawing Heat the Hard Way" by Larry Matyzik (right hand man to former NWA president Sam Mucnhick) at the moment.

It's a really interesting read that goes as deep into wrestling as any book I've ever read. Larry has done a tonne of interviews up here if you want to get a sample of the tone of the book, click here for this great audio interview:

http://57gold.com/playerMP3.asp?v=275

You can order the book here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Heat-Hard-Way-Wrestling/dp/1550228994

Seconding the love for this book- it's fantastic. Really made me want to pick up The Brody one as well, anyone read it?

Chris Jericho's second autobiography will be titled "Highlight of the Night." While a domestic release has not been announced, it will be released on 9/16 in Canada and 2/17/11 in Great Britain. The synopsis released with promotional material for the book reads:

A Lion's Tale documented Chris Jericho's journey from small-time dreamer to big-time superstar, from Winnipeg, Canada, to undisputed WWE heavyweight champion of the world. Having achieved his wildest dreams in A Lion's Tale, Chris Jericho's sequel kicks off just as the fantasy begins to unravel. Faced with endless internal politics on his rise to the top of the WWE company ladder, Jericho has to draw on the super-human resources that got him there in the first place. There are bruising encounters aplenty both inside and outside the ring. He reveals why he temporarily left WWE, includes the inside story of his time in Hollywood, and opens the can of worms that is life on the road with Fozzy. He also re-visits the premature birth of his twins and the pain of his mother's death, as well as the shock of Eddy Guerrero's and the Benoit family deaths. As upfront and outspoken as A Lion's Tale, the sequel is outspoken and direct as the man himself.

I'm praying this''ll be as good as "A Lion's Tale". My main concern with this is that WWE prob want Y2J to portray them in the best possible light.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

While a domestic release has not been announced, it will be released on 9/16 in Canada

Great, I plan on being in Canada around this time.
    A Lion's Tale documented Chris Jericho's journey from small-time dreamer to big-time superstar, from Winnipeg, Canada, to undisputed WWE heavyweight champion of the world

Eh? No it didnt.
    I'm praying this''ll be as good as "A Lion's Tale". My main concern with this is that WWE prob want Y2J to portray them in the best possible light.

It may depend on if they are publishing it or not. I hope they are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Tribesmen7

So I saw Rey Mysterios autobiography in a shop the other day. Is this new and has anyone read it? I might get it when I'm finished Bret Harts book.

Tribesmen7 wrote: »
    So I saw Rey Mysterios autobiography in a shop the other day. Is this new and has anyone read it? I might get it when I'm finished Bret Harts book.

It is new indeed. Haven't read it myself though, and unless it pops up on my doorstep, I'm not going to. Have heard it's pretty flimsy, and stuff like his drug/painkiller addictions are laughably glossed over.

I've just started Gorgeous George's bio... good stuff thus far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard Noggin

Bret Hart's book is an excellent read.I don't read much but I finished that in like a week.His honesty was admirable although he sometimes comes across a little bitter. Nonetheless, its hugely enjoyable due to the lack of a WWE interference.I'd definitely recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ciarang08

I've posted these up before to little interest but here they are again in case anyone's interested...

They go now or they never will!:D....

http://adverts.ie/190041

• Advertisement

From PWInsider
    Cross Rhodes", the WWE biography on Dustin "Goldust" Rhodes, has been slated for a 12/7 release.

Mark Vancil, who worked with Michael Jordan on several book projects, has been tapped to write the bio.

Advertisement