Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestling books.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Bought the following two books yesterday:

9781416558903.jpg

and

51mNCYcrDgL._SS500_.jpg

Read the Million Dollar Man one in one sitting. It's good, but is quite short (only 245 pages with double spacing) and could do with being a little more detailed. It's one of the few books I've read that the author doesn't take pot shots at people he used to work with. He seems to be the most laid back, least bitter (not at all) ex-wrestler ever.

Wouldn't recommend it as a full price purchase, but if you see it on offer it's worth a read.

Should have the Andre book finished in a few days and I'll give my thoughts on that then.

Isn't DiBiase's book laden with factual innacuracies though?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,973 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

flahavaj wrote: »
    Isn't DiBiase's book laden with factual innacuracies though?

Like what? I couldn't tell you to be honest. The only glaring mistake I noticed was he called the Royal Rumble match the King of the Ring once.

Like what? I couldn't tell you to be honest. The only glaring mistake I noticed was he called the Royal Rumble match the King of the Ring once.

Oh, I'm not sure myself, it was something I'd heard or read somewhere, thats all. Probably the usual needless nitpicking from smarks with too much time on their hands. As long as it doesn't affect your enjoyment of the book who gives a sh*te about such pedantry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Picked up Hitman in Dundrum last week. Its a terrific read so far.

Picked up Hitman in Dundrum last week. Its a terrific read so far.

I thought the first half of that book was brilliant. The second half is one long, bitter, egomaniacal rant though. Really soured my opinion of the man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I still can't get through the Bret book, I flew through Foley's 1st book and Heartbreak and Triumph but I just can't get into Bret's at all, maybe its cause I never seen him wrestle really or the fact I never liked him as a wrestler or a person as he always struck me as very egotistical and holds a grudge. Even reading through the bit I have (Think I am just at the bit where he is in Japan could be a bit further though as I keep reading it on and off) and I can just see he is very self centred by mentioning every time he sleeps with a girl like the bit in Japan it seems he is just saying it to be like "Oh I slept with a girl on the 1st night of meeting her, amn't I brilliant" ... No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I thought the first half of that book was brilliant. The second half is one long, bitter, egomaniacal rant though. Really soured my opinion of the man.

It wouldnt be a wresling book without the bitterness though would it

Which is why the DiBiase book is a revelation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Yeah, but the 'Hitman' book just collapses into mad melodrama around halfway through. Hart portrays himself for 250 pages as this big-hearted superhero who gets f*cked over and wronged by everyone (and yes, he was messed around by several people) while never making a mistake. The self-righteousness of the guy for the second half of the book is just maddening - that's in stark contrast to a well-written and interesting beginning.

I'd recommend reading the first 250 pages or so, but quit as soon as Michaels starts getting booked in headline events if you still want to like Bret Hart.

PS: I read Jericho's and Mick Foley's first, found them very good! Does anyone have any other recommendations? is Flair's any use?

geeky wrote: »
    Yeah, but the 'Hitman' book just collapses into mad melodrama around halfway through. Hart portrays himself for 250 pages as this big-hearted superhero who gets f*cked over and wronged by everyone (and yes, he was messed around by several people) while never making a mistake. The self-righteousness of the guy for the second half of the book is just maddening - that's in stark contrast to a well-written and interesting beginning.

I'd recommend reading the first 250 pages or so, but quit as soon as Michaels starts getting booked in headline events if you still want to like Bret Hart.

PS: I read Jericho's and Mick Foley's first, found them very good! Does anyone have any other recommendations? is Flair's any use?

Flairs book is good.

William Regals book is good.

Angles book is brilliant while he's talking about his amateur career, but crap when he's talking about his professional career.

Eddies is good.

I enjoyed Bischoffs book.

Shawns is good too.

The Kings book isn't bad either, his illustrations are quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I can't give Regals book enough praise, it's a fantastic read. I really enjoyed Terry Funks too if thats any good to ya

geeky wrote: »

Did you honestly expect it to be all sweetness and light when he was writing about Michaels!? Knowing what we all know about Hart and the way he has continued to hold a grudge all these years, you still went out and bought the book in all fairness, its a bit rich to complain about it afterwards!

Personally I loved it, from start to finish its such a detailed look back over a fascinating career and the fact that WWE weren't involved in its publishung meant he could be far more liberal in speaking his mind and dare I say it actually tell things as they were without pressure from Vince to put his spin on the story. And this is coming from someone who doesn't particularly like Hart as a person what what I've read and heard the last few years.

As I've said before Jericho's is absolutely fantastic:laugh out loud funny throughout, with great detail on his times in japan and Mexico, areas that are pften rushed through in WWE published books. I tore through it in a couple of days.

Of the other books, Flair and Lawler's are definitely worth a look, but criminally short when you look at the unbelievably longevity both guys have had in the business. Their careers deserve far more and like all WWE priduced books theres always the feeling athat you're never getting their own opinions, but rather Vince's take on things.

I liked Funk's as well, but again its far far too skinny. Regal's was an absolute revelation, really good stuff. Foley's first too are decent, the last one is horrid.

Angle's is alright but again, not detailed enough for me. Hogan's ios God awful, but worth a look simply to get a laugh out of all the lies and delusion conteined within.

I'm still intending to get my hands on Meltzer's tribute books. Did anyone read his Misawa tribute a few weeks back, it was an absolute masterpiece? And I'd love to read his tribute to Gordy whom he held in the highest possible esteem. Also still want to get the Stampede book as I've been looking at some of the od Stampede footage recently and it was beyond awesome.

Oh and don't even think about getting Ring of Hell. Pure gutter journalism, the guy actually uses the deathvalleydriver.com message board as a source at one stage.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

^^^ His Misawa tribute was outstanding. I have Tributes II, and i must say, it's fantastic, a really beautiful book.
    The Stampede book is ****ing brilliant, and a brilliant piece to read alongside Bret's. I recommend the Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame series as well.

Interesting that both Andre and DiBiase's came up there together. I reviewed both of them over the past couple of months, and found them atrocious.

DiBiase's wasn't as bad- the tone is pretty easy going and DiBiase is likeable, but he glosses over stuff horribly, and generally does himself a terrible disservice. And flahavaj is right, it's filled with mistakes and innaccuracies. It's enjoyable enough, but like Funk's, there's just not enough in it.

Andre's is written like the Rock's, half-bio, half kayfabed play-by-play of some of his bigger matches. The best bits by far are the comments from guys like Timmy White. I was really dissapointed by this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

flahavaj wrote: »
    Did you honestly expect it to be all sweetness and light when he was writing about Michaels!? Knowing what we all know about Hart and the way he has continued to hold a grudge all these years, you still went out and bought the book in all fairness, its a bit rich to complain about it afterwards!

Personally I loved it, from start to finish its such a detailed look back over a fascinating career and the fact that WWE weren't involved in its publishung meant he could be far more liberal in speaking his mind and dare I say it actually tell things as they were without pressure from Vince to put his spin on the story. And this is coming from someone who doesn't particularly like Hart as a person what what I've read and heard the last few years.

God no, not by any stretch - having seen 'wrestling with shadows', I knew it wasn't going to be a pleasant treatment of his last WWE year. I just didn't like how the book itself turned into a particularly two-dimensional wrestling storyline. He was, apparently, always swamped with hitman fans everywhere he went, vince was apparently trying to bury him for almost a year through his commentary, even the camera crew that filmed him running in Canada made him look bad...

I'm glad I read it, but I was disappointed at the lack of perspective, self-awareness or real insight for the second half of the book, particularly when all these things made the first half so enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

d047scd.jpg

anyone read it?

bought this yesterday, one of the worst books I have ever read, nevermind wrestling books.

I HATED the format, the mini chapters like. Made me feel like I was reading one of those less stress leaving cert books.

The content wasnt much better, he started off by saying he hated guys from the business writing bitter self serving books, then proceeded to do just that.

does paul heyman have a book yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Only just picked up Bret Hart's book there a while ago. I've not read many wrestling books to be honest. Don't like the idea of ghost writing and the ego involved. Liked Foley's first one though, don't know if anything can beat that.

Anyways, I've only read from about 1993 to the end cause I was a big mark for Hitman - well, I was a little kid! Some interesting little bits here and there but there's afair bit skimmed over I thought and there's some mistakes. The three most striking things were : Hart was ridin young wans while he was on tour (never thought that would've happened in my young innocence :P) ; He blames Osama Bin Laden for the death of his mother; and he really really thinks; His family really were a bunch of nutters!

I liked what I read so far and I'll go back and read it from the start but I don't know anything of his Stampede wrestling days. Oh and I thought it was hilarious that HBK apparently "stole" his finisher for the ladder match at WM X.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Books i've read
    Foley's Foley is Good- Never read his first although I going to one day but I thought it was pretty good book. Foley's a really smart man and I give him props for writing them all himself.

Stone Cold Truth- Meh, wasn't so bad but it wasn't great either.

Ric Flair To be the man- Interesting read but I didn't care too much for his bash on Randy Savage and Bret Hart and how he puts over Triple H and Shawn Micheals so much. It's obvious he's s*cking their c*cks.

Eric Bischoff's Controversery Creates Cash- I was expecting more from him about the backround politics in WCW. But he never talked much about it. I was hoping to hear his side of the story on certain things such as giving Hogan, Nash and Hall so much power as well as Ted Turner and his magic wallet and how he spent so much of Turner's money.

Bret Hart- Really appreciated his book and I thought it was very cool. Although I think Bret comes off as being very bitter in his book.

The Hardy Boyz- Only read it recently just to hear what they would say, wasn't to great to be honest and I thought it was too early for them.

Edge- Same as Hardy Boyz, too early for it's time.

Kurt Angle- Interesting hearing about his training for the Olympics and his family. But again too early for it's time, it only touches on his first year in WWE and ends.

Chris Jericho A Lion's Tale- Proberly my favourite wrestling book and a great guide to anyone wanting to become a wrestler. Very funny and witty as well as that he's very realistic, which is cool because most wrestlers seem to come off as being stuck in the same dimension as one another. But Jericho is proberly the most down to earth and dosen't let wrestling be apart of his life which is healthy because you see guys like Ric Flair and Roddy Piper and how hard to find it adjusting to real life beyond the mat like a couple of old war veterns who have spent so many years in the army. I really hope he brings out a second book because he seems to have left the door open for a second one like Mick Foley's books and he only touched on entering the WWE in it.

For non wrestling biographies the only book i've read is Tales of the Road.

Wasn't Undertaker supposed to have a book coming out ? If it was real, legit , non-kayfabed and not ghost written to hell then I'd jump on it.

I idea of the The Dead Man having a "ghost writer" makes me chuckle.

• Advertisement

"Drawing heat the hard way", by Larry Matysik just arrived in the post today for me.

Well chuffed, I've not read that much, just the opening couple of chapters, and scanned through some of it. But it seems to be a great read. Based on what I've seen so far, I'd recommend it. Think i'll pick up his Brody book as well, based on this- he has a really pleasing writing style and his credentials are right up there.

Got Foley's diaries out of the library. I've heard it's rubbish and he whinges a lot in it and comes across as a prick but I'll have a look anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

On my wish list so far:

Bruno Laurer
    William Regal
    Dynamite kid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Lads, Mick Foleys first one (Have a Nice Day) is one of my favourite autobiographies. Never read any of his following books. How many are there, and should I read them? Do they compliment the first book at all? Cheers

Archimedes wrote: »
    Lads, Mick Foleys first one (Have a Nice Day) is one of my favourite autobiographies. Never read any of his following books. How many are there, and should I read them? Do they compliment the first book at all? Cheers

The second book ("Foley is good") is impressive- it goes into detail about alot of stuff left out, and post-"retirement". It's well written and very enjoyable in general, even if he does fill it out alot with random lists and rants about issues.

The third- Hardcore Diaries was a different matter for me. I found it frustrating, and irritating. Foley's opinion of himself, and weird obsession with Melina, and totally incorrect evaluation of Terry Funk as relevant to the public in today's climate, make it a chore at times.
    On the other hand, the detail is great, and the concept is excellent (an ongoing diary detailing his build-up to ECW one night stand). It's cool to read some of the insights into behind the scenes meetings and the workings of the televised story arcs- but for me, the outlook behind it all spoiled it alot.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Gonna revive an old thread here so apologies:):)

I'm new to buying Wrestling books so I don't have many but my collection includes:
    - Shawn Michaels Heartbreak & Triumph - Good read
    - Bret Hart - The most detailed book on wrestling ever written
    - Chris Jericho A Lion's Tale - My favourite book ever, just brilliant.

I just bought Hogan's new book and, to be honest, I really don't know what to make of it. I'm only a few chapters in but the person Hogan portray's himself as is really annoying + he's trying WAY too hard to be funny

I'm new to buying Wrestling books so I don't have many but my collection includes:
    - Shawn Michaels Heartbreak & Triumph - Good read
    - Bret Hart - The most detailed book on wrestling ever written
    - Chris Jericho A Lion's Tale - My favourite book ever, just brilliant.

I just bought Hogan's new book and, to be honest, I really don't know what to make of it. I'm only a few chapters in but the person Hogan portray's himself as is really annoying + he's trying WAY too hard to be funny

Beware the tall tales of Hogan. He's always entertaining, but absolutely full of shart.

If you haven't read the first Foley book you'll really enjoy it. It's detailed similarly to Bret's, but the humour is more in line with Jericho's.
    Jerry Lawler and William Regal's are both really excellent reads too.

I'd advise staying away from the Ted DiBiase and Andre the Giant efforts though.

Beware the tall tales of Hogan. He's always entertaining, but absolutely full of shart.

If you haven't read the first Foley book you'll really enjoy it. It's detailed similarly to Bret's, but the humour is more in line with Jericho's.
    Jerry Lawler and William Regal's are both really excellent reads too.

I'd advise staying away from the Ted DiBiase and Andre the Giant efforts though.

The thing with Hogan is that he portray's himself as the be-all and end-all of pro wrestling, brother:D:D

I trying to find Foley's first book but can only find Foley's third book. From what I've heard, it's the worst book out of the three he has written. Regal's is ment to be very good. Haven't heard anything about King's book

Thanks for the advise. I'll probably go into Waterstones or Easons later and have a look around.

The thing with Hogan is that he portray's himself as the be-all and end-all of pro wrestling, brother:D:D

I trying to find Foley's first book but can only find Foley's third book. From what I've heard, it's the worst book out of the three he has written. Regal's is ment to be very good. Haven't heard anything about King's book

Thanks for the advise. I'll probably go into Waterstones or Easons later and have a look around.

King's book is really good because there's stuff on an earlier period, that comes from a different point of view than we usually get. I found it really interesting reading about his coming into the wwe in the 90's, later than most, and the transistion from wrestling to being a commentator. His later personal life though is described in disturbing detail.

WHS Smith and Easons in Belfast have Regal's in Paperback, so it shouldn't be too tough to find generally.

• Advertisement

King's book is really good because there's stuff on an earlier period, that comes from a different point of view than we usually get. I found it really interesting reading about his coming into the wwe in the 90's, later than most, and the transistion from wrestling to being a commentator. His later personal life though is described in disturbing detail.

WHS Smith and Easons in Belfast have Regal's in Paperback, so it shouldn't be too tough to find generally.

I'm down in Cork. I checked Easons the other day & it's selection of wrestling books are awful. About a grand total of 5 which are Hogan, Bischoff, Jericho, DiBiase and Stone Cold

Advertisement