Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lala00

piste thanks for the explantion of the HPAT abstract q :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

No probs! That section was pretty difficult, some of the stuff was just like "wtf?"

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Adventure

Well registerd just there........... it never asked me for my CAO number?:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 lala00

I registered as well and they didn't ask anything about cao numbers :confused: after saying on the website it was needed
    Anyone know if you did the leaving last year is your cao no the same?

Oh phew, I thought I musta missed the bit about my CAO number. Didn't ask me for it either. Yeah as far as I know you keep the same cao number from your last year.

• Advertisement

lala00 wrote: »
    I registered as well and they didn't ask anything about cao numbers :confused: after saying on the website it was needed
    Anyone know if you did the leaving last year is your cao no the same?

No. You have to re-apply again , ie. get a new CAO number.

Right, e-mailed hpat-ireland, apparently the initial registration forms were missing the 'cao number' part. they told me to email them my number and they will add it. for anyone who's registration lacked the cao part , emial them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Thanks Adbenture.

I was wondering what the story with that was tbh!

Heh I just got an email from HPAT there saying there was a glitch. Was a bit worried something had gone wrong alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

So I finally got around to sitting down and actually doing the sample test. Got full marks in Section 2 but only got 75% overall :( Not very encouraging. How'd you all do?

• Advertisement

Yeah got about the same...I'm hoping either the real test will be easier or that everyone will just do worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭shamoono

Hi guys,
    I received the HPAT practice papers about two weeks ago and they're a little bit of help. They only have something like 35 questions per section. Considering to go to the HPAT course in the Institute but there is also another that will be taking place in RCSI. I think the one in RCSI is going to be much more help because of the material you are given. You can check it out here:

http://www.****.edu.au/hpat-ireland.asp cost around 350uro.

Anyway if you get like 280 points in the HPAT, how many points do you think you will need to get in the Leaving Cert. to get in?

The cost of the HPAT preparation course in Th'Institute is €350 as well which seems extremely steep imo. They're giving out some workbooks and stuff as well apparently.
    Seems like a total waste of money.

Yeah seems like a waste to me too. The test is designed to be grind-proof.

Piste wrote: »
    Yeah seems like a waste to me too. The test is designed to be grind-proof.

Is it basically an intelligence test?

Yeah kinda, it doesn't meausre all-round intelligence, just emotional reasoning, logical thinking and those things with shapes where you have to select the next in the series.

Piste wrote: »
    Yeah kinda, it doesn't meausre all-round intelligence, just emotional reasoning, logical thinking and those things with shapes where you have to select the next in the series.

Oh right right, so it just measures characteristics that would be beneficial in somebody who wants to study medicene?

Yeah pretty much, it's to give a more accurate selection criteria for who would be suited to medicine and should get into the course than the leaving cert alone.

Yup it looks like it's grind-proof. How many people do you think are going apply for medicine in Ireland this year?

There was around 2,500 1st choice cao applicants las year, so..... 3,000 this year maybe??

• Advertisement

Ahhh 3,000 for how many places?!

I hate the way we can't predict what points will be like this year :mad:

Yup .... 3000 for 724 places in all of Ireland, I think. :cool:
    But yeah, it's a pain in the ass not knowing how many points you need.
    Anyway is any of you resat the Leaving cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Hello folks.
    I was wondering If any of you could answer a question for me, just out of curiosity.
    I repeated my leaving certificate last year to get into medicine and fortunately I got lucky.
    I was able to drop English & Irish which made things a lot easier.
    But what happens to the repeats of this year who dropped Irish or English and took up a new subject.
    I hear that the matriculation requirements must be met in the one sitting? :eek:

Oh and best of luck to everyone :)

Mardybumbum- yes, you have to sit all the matriculation requirements in one go.
    So basically, Irish, english, maths, another language, chemistry, another science?

Repeating english is an absolute PAIN!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Oh christ. :eek:
    Im sure there were many students who didnt realise that.
    "Bythewoods", I empathise with you. But its worth it as long as the hard work is done.

Best of luck amigo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

yes, you need Irish, English, Maths, Another language, Chemistry, Another Science.

Im repeating and I dropped Irish with an OB3, but the the requirements were worded on the literature, I thought it was worth it to double check.

I emailed UCC and NUIG and they said that yes you need all those subjects in one sitting.

I find it unfair, it doesnt keep repeat students in mind, its just an annoying inconvenience, to do Irish again just to get an OD3

Did the lc there last year got 555 but not enough for med:(

taking a year out now and re-applying. Figured there was no point repeating.
    Probably end up doing science if i dont get it this year!

HPAT is the same as UMAT, austrailian version, Iv been told by an aussi in rcsi that the practise test are very easy compared to the real thing so be prepared!

Calum196 wrote: »

I find it unfair, it doesnt keep repeat students in mind, its just an annoying inconvenience, to do Irish again just to get an OD3

I'm repeating for medicine and I totally empathise with the horrific task of resitting subjects like English,Irish and so on... but I do think it's fair.

They're trying to eliminate the whole "repeating in a grind school with easy subjects" thing. Like, someone could get the minimum requirements in things which are important and relevant to medicine like Chemistry, maths, etc, but then drop them when repeating as they already have the matric. requirements and pick up subjects which are labelled "Easy A1s" like Agricultural Science, Classics, etc.
    At the RCSI open day last year there was someone talking about this, I think it seems a very fair point.

Adventure wrote: »
    the practise test are very easy compared to the real thing so be prepared!

*sweats profusely*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

bythewoods wrote: »
    I'm repeating for medicine and I totally empathise with the horrific task of resitting subjects like English,Irish and so on... but I do think it's fair.

They're trying to eliminate the whole "repeating in a grind school with easy subjects" thing. Like, someone could get the minimum requirements in things which are important and relevant to medicine like Chemistry, maths, etc, but then drop them when repeating as they already have the matric. requirements and pick up subjects which are labelled "Easy A1s" like Agricultural Science, Classics, etc.
    At the RCSI open day last year there was someone talking about this, I think it seems a very fair point.

Its not a big deal for me anyway, its not like an OD3 in irish is hard to get.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement