Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Island Key, East Wall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭zielarz

Big Show, it's not that bad as I initially thought. The week I moved in was noisy but it's been very quiet since then. Maybe because it's colder outside and people do not go to their balconies so often.

I can't complain on management company either. They acted quickly when the water damaged few things this week and they kept us informed all the time about the progress. I recommend this place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 gsh20

are the lifts back up and running yet? lol my bad knee cant keep going up the stairs to the top floor

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

Hi everyone,
    I am going to move in a couple of weeks in island key.
    I've seen two apartments (ground floor and 4th floor) and inside are really nice.
    For sure I will not go in the ground floor.. I know there are others available (8th floor).
    Do you have any advice?
    Is it really that bad?
    Not only the party, but is really unsafe the area? To walk home alone in the evening?
    thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Been away last couple of weeks... are the lifts in the complex broken???

What blocks are the lifts working and not working in?

Anyone know when the lifts are due to be back working again?

What's the name of the Managing Agents again? I think I might ring them.

• Advertisement

Lift in block 3 is working fine since Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OnlyWayIsUp

zielarz wrote: »
    Big Show, it's not that bad as I initially thought. The week I moved in was noisy but it's been very quiet since then. Maybe because it's colder outside and people do not go to their balconies so often.

I can't complain on management company either. They acted quickly when the water damaged few things this week and they kept us informed all the time about the progress. I recommend this place.

Nothing quiet about Friday night and people on their balconies until close to 4am, are people completely oblivious to the fact that they're keeping others awake? Some of us have to work at weekends you know?

This problem has been ongoing for so long now and the managing company have completely failed to sort it out.

Unit owners in Island Key will be glad to hear that they are exempt from the new Household Charge for 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Dmaurice

Wow! Great news - why is that?!

Dmaurice wrote: »
    Wow! Great news - why is that?!

Because technically the estate is an unfinished one and Section 4 of the Bill states:

(4) A person who, on a liability date, is the owner of a residential
    property shall, in respect of that residential property, be entitled to
    a waiver from payment of the household charge relating to—

(a) the year in which the liability date falls if, on that date, he 10
    or she is entitled to payment of a supplement referred to
    in subsection (5) of section 198 of the Act of 2005 towards
    the amount of mortgage interest payable by him or her
    in respect of that property, or

(b) the year 2012 and the year 2013 if, on the liability date for
    the year concerned, the residential property is situated in
    an unfinished housing estate.

I checked it out yesterday and was informed that it's exempt.

Haven't seen you around recently buddy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Trap

BobbySands81, who informed you that the estate is exempted from the household charge?
    According to the website, Island Key is not listed as exempted estates by Dublin City Council:
    https://www.householdcharge.ie/UHE/Dublin%20City.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

10th down?

Just looked up our CC list. Some amount of unfinished estates knocking around.

My estate is on it so least can be sure landlord won't come looking for it off un in the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

10th down?

Just looked up our CC list. Some amount of unfinished estates knocking around.

My estate is on it so least can be sure landlord won't come looking for it off un in the rent.

Any LL with half a brain would not come looking for it....Its there charge not yours.

Any LL with half a brain would not come looking for it....Its there charge not yours.
    It's quite the opposite. They only reason why landlord would not pass it on tenant just yet is the small amount ~10e/month.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It's quite the opposite. They only reason why landlord would not pass it on tenant just yet is the small amount ~10e/month.

I'd have to agree- its when it becomes a sizeable sum- that the whole dynamics of renting and private ownership will change. Obviously its a cost on ownership- but its a cost that is borne both economically but also socially. Why aspire to buy- when the cost of holding the asset is significant, even before any other outlays? Why own rental property- when the return on investment is further diminished?

Ultimately- over a period of time the tax (and it is a tax) will be reflected in lower prices for property- to bring a new level of equilibrium to the market- where buyers (both owner occupiers and buy-to-let) are compensated by a commensurate amount of the tax in a fall in property price. The issue here though- is this just digs the negative equity hole even deeper for current owners (and we have between 9.2 and 12.8% of all residential mortgages over 90 days in arrears (depending on the calculation being used)).

Whatever way this is dressed up- it is going to be a further contributing factor in property price falls- in the exact same manner that higher interest rates will (and the ECB has ruled out further rate cuts- based on the EU consumer inflation index, which is currently running at over 3%).

Will the tenant pay this charge? Ultimately- no, it'll just be another cost of ownership- factored into the going market rate for rental property- which as an return on investment for landlords- may even fall- as the cost of purchasing property absorbs the negative impact of this tax.

Is this a fair tax? Thats an entirely different question. Economists love property taxes- but property owners of all shades- hate them. The international experience is that property tax in the main ends up being paid by the middle classes- those reliant on social welfare don't pay- and those who have the where-with-all to avoid (avoid- not evade) the tax- pay their accountants for creative but legal ways to avoid paying their fair share. There is a very interesting article on this- and in particular on how China is considering applying property taxes, in last weeks copy of the Economist.

It is now stated government policy to encourage high net work company personnel to situate here. You can be certain there will be no obstacles put in their way to do so...........

Where does this leave us? Current landlords will have property worth a lot less, and while the open market rent may rise temporarily to reflect the property tax- over time, as the property market becomes more liquid- property prices are likely to fall to reflect the higher cost of ownership. Tenants may face higher rent initially because of this tax- but over the longer run- equilibrium will return. Lots more current landlords will go up the wall- as a result of the tax- and the negative equity associated with our housing stock (all stock- not just rental property) will doubtless rise.

This tax is a component of the solution to stabilising the government's income stream- it does nothing whatsoever for the public at large- other than taking money out of people's pockets as a form of direct taxation. It has been sold in other countries as a manner of redistributing income from the middle classes to the poorer in society- in an Irish context, well, the stated aim of this is very much at odds with what government ministers are saying (Leo Varadker has made some very interesting statements recently).

Trap wrote: »
    BobbySands81, who informed you that the estate is exempted from the household charge?
    According to the website, Island Key is not listed as exempted estates by Dublin City Council:
    https://www.householdcharge.ie/UHE/Dublin%20City.pdf

Govt officials in the Dept of the Environment.

It's on that list mate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 gsh20

One heck of a close call earlier today, was in the shop round the corner and a hooded fella walked in and tried to rob the place, shopkeeper told me he had a gun, I didn't have a clear view but Crikey was still scary, don't know if the garda caught the bloke or not, hopefully they did

Anyone know what happened in Block 2 yesterday evening?

Was there stuff thrown at one of the apartments? Saw people standing round staring and two apartments cleaning the outside of their building.

I'm sure with the nice weather today there's going to be loads of parties tonight - really wish Lansdowne Partnership would start clamping down on these parties, seem very commonplace nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 volex

No Idea, i will say though that they obviously have let their standards slip on the most part who the are renting to these days. I share a floor with what look to be 18/19 year olds who dont work during the day and make outrageous amount of noise at night!

When I moved in I was asked for bank statements, reference from work and reference from previous landlords. Obviously once they have their rent paid and full appartments they dont care who is living in them.

And why would they care when there is no one there at night or on weekends to deal with these people who obviously dont have an ounce of manners between them!

Needless to say the minute my lease is up I wont be giving them another year of my money!

Im sure other frustrated neighbours will agree!

volex wrote: »
    No Idea, i will say though that they obviously have let their standards slip on the most part who the are renting to these days. I share a floor with what look to be 18/19 year olds who dont work during the day and make outrageous amount of noise at night!

When I moved in I was asked for bank statements, reference from work and reference from previous landlords. Obviously once they have their rent paid and full appartments they dont care who is living in them.

And why would they care when there is no one there at night or on weekends to deal with these people who obviously dont have an ounce of manners between them!

Needless to say the minute my lease is up I wont be giving them another year of my money!

In the exact same boat as yourself. I have no interest in renewing though the other half likes how handy the place is. Every night there's noise of some sort from people who just have no manners. Far too often there are parties that wake everyone up. After the first such party a communication should be issued stating that this kind of behaviour will NOT be tolerated.

Every night a car comes in to the houses(are they houses?) hoots the horn and drops something off, seems very dodgy to me.

• Advertisement

In the exact same boat as yourself. I have no interest in renewing though the other half likes how handy the place is. Every night there's noise of some sort from people who just have no manners. Far too often there are parties that wake everyone up. After the first such party a communication should be issued stating that this kind of behaviour will NOT be tolerated.

Every night a car comes in to the houses(are they houses?) hoots the horn and drops something off, seems very dodgy to me.

Yeah its so handy for work for me! Your in block 2 I'm sure you heard the big party a while back where they wrecked the place and absolutely nothing was done and so many people complained! And garda were called! I'm just so sick of living amongst these people the rent is too high to deal with them

Yeah its so handy for work for me! Your in block 2 I'm sure you heard the big party a while back where they wrecked the place and absolutely nothing was done and so many people complained! And garda were called! I'm just so sick of living amongst these people the rent is too high to deal with them

As if by magic there's the music started now!:mad::mad::mad:

You in the smaller block across the way?

Just identify the apartment and let know Mr Andrew about it. We need to react in order to improve things here. I did complain about noise in 3rd block last weekend and they seem to take it seriously.

Just identify the apartment and let know Mr Andrew about it. We need to react in order to improve things here. I did complain about noise in 3rd block last weekend and they seem to take it seriously.

No I'm in block 2! Oh believe me I have complained :)

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

We have recently moved out and difficult to say whether the new place will be better, but definately would not move back again to Island Key (knowing what i know now).

@Volex: the thing about references was always bothering me, cause before we moved there, we were asked for every single possible document and then you can see some people throwing bottles over the balconies

Anyways, wish you all good luck.

At long last Dublin City Council have agreed to put double yellow lines for 5 metres each side of the entrance/exit of Island Key.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dsav23

Guys n gals

What's it like to live in now? Viewed a place in block 2 today. Wed like to drink in house before going into town on a sat night, is this commonplace here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭Pa Dee

dsav23 wrote: »
    Guys n gals

What's it like to live in now? Viewed a place in block 2 today. Wed like to drink in house before going into town on a sat night, is this commonplace here?
    Complete hellhole

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 sebastianmtnez

Hi guys!

I would like to know if something has changed, what's it like to live in now?

Thanks a lot

Advertisement