Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Island Key, East Wall

Options
  • 14-10-2008 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi, me and my girlfriend purchased in Island-Key apartments East Wall. Block 6 and 3 are due to be ready next month. Anyone any news on them or bought there yourself? We signed up 2 years ago...what are peoples opinions on the prices of apartments? We bought to live in for 5-6 years and with Spencer Dock, the Point depot and the luas extention thought of it as an investment also. any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

€515,000 on a 2 bed apartment? Ouch. Maybe lower as you bought off the plans. Looks like a nice location, though. Hope the windows are sound proof, or you'll know the timetable in no time :D

Looks like you're between some apartments, and a warehouse place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 tomtoms

i doubt any of the blocks will be ready in the next month or the month after.
    they have only recently started working on them again after a couple of months of no work being done on that site.

I live in the apts right next door to island quay, and its still very much a building site, i'm no expert but i'd say well into the new year before anyone will be living there. if there lucky.

best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Dmaurice

we snagged our block last month. once theyve done the access road and cordoned off the other blocks its good to go. lovely inside though...very pleased with it. There is a new office block next to the site and the luas extension is about 5mins from there..looking forward to moving in now. we didnt pay anywhere near 515k! i think that was the price for the penthouses....what is the area like? ive had mixed reviews but always seems grand when we've been down there.

it will be a great area when all the construction is finished,
    the luas, point village, ifsc.
    East wall is a great place to live, it has its good and bad points and as always the gang of little ****s that hang around, but all areas have that.
    Great local up the road that is very welcoming.
    i hope your will be very happy in your new home.

thanks mate. its always good to get the view of someone who is already there! its an exciting prospect with all the development going on! i dont suppose you get the dart to work do you? i work out in cherrywood so get the dart currently from grand canal but dont know if connolly or clontarf is closest to the new place! thanks for all your advice already!

• Advertisement

no i bus it,
    its prob the same distance
    i would guess clontarf would not be a busy,
    just a guess.

ok cool. many thanks once again! any other advice or info much appreciated! cheers, Dave.

i'm sure you will be very happy here,
    if you think of any questions just pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 27 fella1977

Hi, I bought an apartment in block 2 that was supposed to be finished in Aug 08 and then it was pushed to Dec 08 which was the last written communication I received. I have spoken to Brian Dwyer and to the contractors and they have both indicated that block 2 should be ready for snagging end of Feb 09. I was at the complex last w/e and I would be very surprised if it will be ready by Feb/Mar because it still looks like a total building site.

The contract I signed said the apartment was to be finished within 24 months which takes me to May 09. Is anyone else close to or past their contract completion date? Have any of you considered trying to get out of the sale or trying to re-negotiate the price? What are the chances of getting out of the sale if they go beyond the completion date stated in the contract?

Im interested in hearing any of your thoughts?

hi, not sure about the 24month thing...our contract was signed in Jan 07 and we are due to move in a month or so into block 6 i think....i hear someone was shot dead (again) on sheriff st last night at 9pm?! I hope the area is ok!!! I have heard good reports really but its always makes me think when i hear a story like that.

• Advertisement

Hi,
    Any more update on your completions date?
    Have you checked out the site recently? Im gonna call over in the next week and try to talk to the foreman and suss out completion dates, etc? As far as I know, they are having problems getting the old man and his sister out of the cottage at the front. This will prob hold up the building of the pedestran and vehicle date?

Thanks

hi mate, no news on completion...am told end of november buy not holding my breath...is that right about the old man? When we did our snag the foreman said he was moving into one of the new apartments in block 3. Is he refusing to budge? where did you hear that? fair play to him! hahahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Dmaurice wrote: »
    hi mate, no news on completion...am told end of november buy not holding my breath...is that right about the old man? When we did our snag the foreman said he was moving into one of the new apartments in block 3. Is he refusing to budge? where did you hear that? fair play to him! hahahaha.

Was down at Island Key over the weekend, there's not a hope in hell that they'll be ready before the end of November!!!

New Year at the earliest imo.

yeah thats what i thought too...apparently though, once they can tarmac the access road and cordon off the other blocks (only 6 and 3 are ready) then its good to go...inside is all finished. we snagged ours a month ago...really nice apartment inside...but im not wearing wellies to get out of the complex every day! :)

I was at the complex today at lunch time and spoke to a couple of the workmen. One of them said that people will be moving into some of the blocks in 2 weeks time. I find that hard to believe cos the whole entrance is diggers, ground dug up, scaffolding, etc..

He reckons block 2 where Ive bought will be ready easily before Christmas but I find that hard to believe..

In terms of the old man and his bungalow. Someone from Brian Dywer told me that they are having issues with the old fella moving out..That was about 6 weeks ago so maybe in the meantime he has agreed to move into the complex. As of today, he is showing no signs of moving..

2 weeks? well we were told block 3 + 6 will be the end of novermber and block 2 and 1 will be march april...that was by the foreman on the site. Not sure about the old man situation...we're not moving in over xmas anyway - will just tell our solicitor to write to them and advise early january...they over ran by over 6 months - they can wait an extra 4 weeks so we can chill out over xmas! :)

Anyone got an update on Island Key?!

Hi,
    I drove past yesterday and they have tarmacced it since I was there 2 weeks ago. One of the blocks back left (block 6 maybe) had lights on inside and looks finished.

Have any of you gone beyond the 24 months to complete the apartment that is stated in the contract?

Thanks

hi again mate.

our 24months is up on 5th Jan but judging by your comments we will be in before then (we are block 6 and have already snagged).....is the man in the bungalow still there?! Any other news? I havent been down for a while.

dont suppose anyone can email me some pics of island key now the tarmac is down - hope it looks nice!

• Advertisement

The bungalow is still there but no idea if the fella is moving out or not..Block 2 where I bought still has scaffolding around it but I am sure it will move quickly enough when the other blocks start to finish..

%th Jan is tight enough for you but I am sure they will have a big push to move you in before Christmas so they can start getting money in..

Did you ever talk to them about lowering the price, or anything like that..

Was it well finished when you did you snag?
    There is not much parking down there either which I am concerned about..

hi, well we wont complete till the external work is finished...no matter how much they try and rush us. Also, their (and our) solicitor will be closed between 20thDec - 5thJan so if they dont complete before 20th we should be ok :) for negotiation on the price speak to these guys, they may be able to help you. www.homebrokers.ie - ask for Paula. She is dealing with Island Key and meeting with Ellen on monday so give them a bell this week if you can. Is the external coming on nicely? you think they can be completing by 20th dec in your opinion?

Homebrokers had an ad in the Independent on Sunday so I plan on calling them in the next week or so. Have they given you any indication if they can get any money off? Paying €500 upfront and giving them 10% of any savings is ok if they save you a few grand. Have you heard of anyone else who has used to them to re-negotiate price?

From looking in the other night and it was dark, I think the block I could see (which I think is block 6), will be ready before Christmas.

You could stall them in terms of not having your mortgage ready to draw down, etc but they they will push you hard. If they start to get in payments from you and other people from block 6 in the next month so, if they get say 6 apartments - that will be 2-3 million income for the developer. I am sure hes millions in debt to the banks so he will be keen to get money in ASAP.

I plan to call over next week again at lunch time so I should hopefully be able to talk to someone and get a few more details..

Looking in from the road, blocks 1 and 2 are still in their early stages of development. But I think the other finished blocks look nice..

homebrokers are representing a few different people in island key and are meeting with Ellen construction about the site on monday - thats why i suggets calling them this week...not to sign up or pay anything, just let them know your in island key and they will have more weight in their meeting with ellen construction. They said they are getting between 15-25% discounts on these kind of apartments....if you visit the site during the day and manage to get some pics let me know and ill give you my email address (if you dont mind!). seems to be close to closing now anyway.

I will give them a call and see what they say..
    The more people on the bandwagon, the more chance of getting things sorted..
    If Im over there, Ill take a few photos no probs..

15-25% discount would be a nice Christmas present..

I spoke to someone from homebrokers and they are talking to Ellen today and are already representing 3 others. I said we were interesting as well so Ill call again this week to see how the meeting went and what the chances are of any discounts. If you hear any more updates, please let me know..

Any word yet on when you can move in?

we should be moving in pretty soon i think..they are only waiting on '3rd party vendors to finish' ie. ntl perhaps or people like that. Does the site look ready to move in? Im not completing if its a buliding site!! Yes I spoke to homebrokers today. I think they are getting valuations done and will come back to us then.

Dmaurice wrote: »
    we should be moving in pretty soon i think..they are only waiting on '3rd party vendors to finish' ie. ntl perhaps or people like that. Does the site look ready to move in? Im not completing if its a buliding site!! Yes I spoke to homebrokers today. I think they are getting valuations done and will come back to us then.

Would be very interested to hear what homebrokers have to say too, you guys might keep me informed.

Was down there Sat just gone, 2 weeks ago I thought there was a couple of months work left before people could move in. Now I can deffo see folk moving in this side of Christmas. Block 6 (the one on its own to the left) looks complete... and well! There is also a block at the back that is complete (there might even be two). However, the front blocks are deffo some way off being complete, still another couple of months to go there.

• Advertisement

Any updates on this???

Advertisement