Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

hey .

im heading up tommorrw, how is it on sunday?

is most shops open ?

were heading up to Sainsburys in newry area

Tomorrow is a desperate day to go to Newry; the shops don't open til 1pm so everyone is squashed into 5hrs shopping. You would be far better off going to Sprucefield in Lisburn - all NI shops open at 1pm by the way. While it adds an extra 30 minutes each way to your journey, the store is better stocked and will not be as busy as Newry. You will still have to negotiate Newry bypass though. When in Sprucefield, there are two shopping areas on opposite sides of the road - Sainsburys in Sprucefield Park, along with Argos, Curry's and Next, and Marks & Spencers, Boots in Sprucefield Centre.

On your way back, if you have time, call into the Outlet in Banbridge (it's well signed). This contains mainly discounted clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Tomorrow is a desperate day to go to Newry; the shops don't open til 1pm so everyone is squashed into 5hrs shopping. You would be far better off going to Sprucefield in Lisburn - all NI shops open at 1pm by the way. While it adds an extra 30 minutes each way to your journey, the store is better stocked and will not be as busy as Newry. You will still have to negotiate Newry bypass though. When in Sprucefield, there are two shopping areas on opposite sides of the road - Sainsburys in Sprucefield Park, along with Argos, Curry's and Next, and Marks & Spencers, Boots in Sprucefield Centre.

On your way back, if you have time, call into the Outlet in Banbridge (it's well signed). This contains mainly discounted clothing.

thanks for the heads up.

i think i will skip sunday on your advice & head up next sat.

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

Cicero wrote: »
    Was in a Tesco well beyond Belfast as was on business up there:

Didn't see any great discounts in wine compared to the current Sainsburys offers, so did a bit of a beer shop instead :)

Tiger beer- 4 * 330ml for £3.93
    Corona Extra: 12 bottles * 3.30 ml for 11.98stg

so good savings on beer but will stick to Sainburys for wine value and selection

Bought the same beer in Derrylin, about 15 miles from Cavan heading for Enniskillen for the same price! Also 4 bottles of Grolsch for £2.99

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Good friday is business as usual in north

and half of the ROI population as well.
    Traffic might be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

okidoki987 wrote: »
    and half of the ROI population as well.
    Traffic might be a nightmare.

If you want an idea of what it will be like, just think of the images broadcast when Ikea first opened in Belfast, expect most of your day to being stuck in traffic and fighting for a parking place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Not sure how petrol compares on either side of the border these days (88.9p at Asda is 95.6c on xe.com) but Petrol in the UK is going up by 2p a Litre on April the 1st, so if NI is cheap for you, fill up before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

Hi all,
    I'm looking for a little advice please ....
    We were supposed to be going to Enniskillen tomorrow and staying overnight to make the most of our shopping spree. Anyways, long story short, we have to postpone our trip due to illness.
    We were trying to avoid the Easter crowds but my question is: will Enniskillen (not just ASDA) be totally mobbed next week with the kids off school or will it just be ASDA?
    Also, because we'd be staying overnight we could do our shopping late in the evening / night time so it mightn't be as chaotic(??) but I'm wondering if the shelves would be fairly well stocked?
    Last time we went up it was chaos and the shelves were fairly empty with kids off school but it was during the daytime on a Monday during mid term break.

Any advice appreciated!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ukpoker

Went upto Sprucefield today to shop at Sainsburys.

Some 'value items' were:

20 Budweiser 330ml bottles - £11.90
    12 cans of regular coke or coke zero - £2.69 (Buy 6 get 6 free)
    12 cans of Diet Pepsi - £3
    2 * 150ml of Fairy Washing up liquid - £2
    2 * 8 pack of Danish Bacon rashers - £2.99
    36 (4 * 9) 2 bar Kit-Kats - £4
    8 bananas - £0.93
    2 * Large Nescafe coffee jars - £6
    Easter eggs (Various selection) £2 for 2
    Wine - £10 for 3 bottles

We spent £374 in total (approx €400) and have enough food to feed an army for the next 8 weeks!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Was in Sprucefield yesterday on return journey from Ikea. Stopped into Sainsburys to get some Wolf Blass Red Label (ROI €17 approx). There it was £7.99....what a RIP OFF!! And I'm not just talking about the ROI as I had stopped into Sainsburys in Hollywood Exchange(beside Ikea) and seen the very same wine for £4.99!!! Also, 7-UP is 2 for £2 in Hollywood and £1.40 each in Sprucefield.
    Have Sainsburys decided to add a few % to their margins in Sprucefield with so many people from the South coming up??
    I was rightly p'd off that I had not bought them in Hollywood!!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Has anyone shopped in Blakes wine shop in Derrylin (I see Derrylin mentioned re. beer in an earlier post)?

I noticed it in passing - would be interested in hearing what their range of wines is like, the range in the supermarkets in Enniskillen is very poor. Or does anyone know of a good wineshop in enniskillen?
    tks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Guys,

Heading up north on thursday to do a shop and also need to buy a digital camcorder. Plan to steer clear of Newry and head further afield.

Any thoughts?

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

There is a huge Currys in Sprucefield just outside Lisburn. Its beside the big sainsburys just on the main road from newry.
    Its only 25 minutes past newry and well worth a visit, you can even have a look online and see what they have in stock, prices , etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They don't accept euro or laser. Cash or CC only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Was in Sprucefield yesterday on return journey from Ikea. Stopped into Sainsburys to get some Wolf Blass Red Label (ROI €17 approx). There it was £7.99....what a RIP OFF!! And I'm not just talking about the ROI as I had stopped into Sainsburys in Hollywood Exchange(beside Ikea) and seen the very same wine for £4.99!!! Also, 7-UP is 2 for £2 in Hollywood and £1.40 each in Sprucefield.
    Have Sainsburys decided to add a few % to their margins in Sprucefield with so many people from the South coming up??
    I was rightly p'd off that I had not bought them in Hollywood!!

Normally the prices in all Sainsburys are 100% the same in all branches on the same day. Sometimes they run managers specials unique to a branch but in my experience shopping there the prices I have seen on Sainsburys website for goods is the same in all branches I have shopped in. Looking at Wolf Blass it should be £7.49 in all stores at the moment.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

`Semi chem is Newry

box of 6 packets of johnsons baby wipes £5
    johnsons baby suncream tub 1.99 (7.79 in Boots)
    Large Johnsons baby suncream 3.99 (think it was 13.99 in Boots)
    Tommee Tippee soothers x2 Latex 99p
    Winnie the pooh teething ring / rattle 99p

Sainsburys

30% off all baby stuff except milk (think food too)
    It makes nappies 4.98 less 30% (pampers,huggiesSainsburys eco)
    They were all around the same price.
    Sainsburys own brand were out of stock in size 3
    Boots newborn 2 packets for 8 ,these were the best new born nappies that we found.

Sainsburys has a meal for a fiver deal,the stuff they have for it wasn't too impressive today but brilliant value.

My legs hurt!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 silverY

Guys,

Heading up north on thursday to do a shop and also need to buy a digital camcorder. Plan to steer clear of Newry and head further afield.

Any thoughts?

thanks.

Hey, I bought this camcorder in Feb in Arg*s newry

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/0570781/c_1/2%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C12161348/c_2/3%7Ccat_12161348%7CCamcorders%7C12161411.htm?Price+Cut=1

check out the newry price
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0570781/c_1/2%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C12109590/c_2/3%7Ccat_12109590%7CCamcorders%7C12109641.htm?Price+Cut=1

When I collected the camcorder the price had gone back up but because i had reserved it, I was honoured the sale price. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Anyone know what Sainsburys in Lisburn are charging for Petrol these days ? Headin up Saturday and want to know whether to fill up before I go or up there . Was only about 87p last time I was there which is well cheaper than here at the moment.
    Also are they doing the 5p per litre off when you shop in Sainsburys ?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

Anybody been to Tesco in Banbridge? I'm wondering how they compare to Sainsburys for offers and prices?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

Heading up to belfast in a couple of weeks to look for a suite.

Anybody any ideas of good places to look, in either Belfast or the outlet store in Banbridge??

Probably looking to spend around £200 or so, maybe slightly more

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

weeks to look for a suite.
    Probably looking to spend around £200 or so

You looking for a new one for that price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭catching_streams

Try tailoredtosuit.ie, friend got a suit off them recently and was very impressed. As long as you're based in Dublin they'll call out and measure you up! He got a good price on it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Fergster

Gotta Head up North to find some more bargains. Especially with the current rate of 93P to €1

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

okidoki987 wrote: »
    You looking for a new one for that price?

Surely you could get a decent suite for £200-£300??

Im not talking ****ing armani here, just something passable. Or am I way off??

Thanks for the tailoredtosuit link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

A suit is something you wear

a suite is a set of furniture or a set of rooms in a hotel
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Picked up a new suit (trouser and jacket) in M&S in Banbridge yesterday for 77 sterling. Not designer or fancy, but good decent business suit. Pretty good bargain i think. Its not the biggest store but there is a decent selection in there. There are a few other suit places there too.
    Although it was a bit of a ghost town there yesterday, very quiet, a good number of shops closed down too.
    Also picked up a george foreman 6 portion grill for 60 sterling in Argos in Lisburn, same one is €139 in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

went up the last day... i went into halfords in newry... they wouldent take laser.. so had to go to a atm first.. i paid £64 for a power washer... the same one was €140 in argos in dublin.. went into the outlet then and got £130 of clothes in puma.. it was buy 1 get the next half price so got a load of money off.... and last i got the windows tinted it cost £140 i rang up a place in dublin they wanted €300... saved a load of cash... big down fall was no laser in a lot of places...

No where in NI accepts laser. They accept Maestro if they will accept anything at all. Maestro is a function on some laser cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

Bond-007 wrote: »
    No where in NI accepts laser. They accept Maestro if they will accept anything at all. Maestro is a function on some laser cards.

Not true, as Sainsburys in Newry for example accepts Laser. As do several other shops in the border region around Newry.

Have a look at the terminal and your receipt the next time. I think you will find it is Maestro.
    Laser is a republic standard only. Many laser cards are also maestro cards and some are not. That is where you are getting confused. The transactions are processed thru the maestro clearing system in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭musicfan

paulusdu wrote: »
    Picked up a new suit (trouser and jacket) in M&S in Banbridge yesterday for 77 sterling. Not designer or fancy, but good decent business suit. Pretty good bargain i think. Its not the biggest store but there is a decent selection in there. There are a few other suit places there too.
    Although it was a bit of a ghost town there yesterday, very quiet, a good number of shops closed down too.

What shops have closed down??? Their website doesn't show that any shops have closed down...........

Advertisement