Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Have a look at the terminal and your receipt the next time. I think you will find it is Maestro.
    Laser is a republic standard only. Many laser cards are also maestro cards and some are not. That is where you are getting confused. The transactions are processed thru the maestro clearing system in the UK.

No, they even specificially advertise the fact (in shop) that they now accept Laser Cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Still ain't laser. Check your receipt.
    Are they charging these cards in Euro?
    No, they even specificially advertise the fact (in shop) that they now accept Laser Cards.
    That is for the benefit of the clueless free staters. Transactions are still processed as maestro.
    I use my Ulster bank Laser/maestro card all the time in Sainsburys. It is never processed as laser. It is always maestro.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Their website doesn't show that any shops have closed down

I think the point was some shops in Banbridge had closed down
    not branches of M&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

Still ain't laser. Check your receipt.
    Are they charging these cards in Euro?

That is for the benefit of the clueless free staters. Transactions are still processed as maestro.
    I use my Ulster bank Laser/maestro card all the time in Sainsburys. It is never processed as laser. It is always maestro.

You must be some "know it all". :rolleyes: I just checked on a receipt from yesterday, and it has been processed as a Laser Transaction.

You opted to pay in Euro so. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

You opted to pay in Euro so. :(

Quite a different story from "No where in NI accepts laser" all the same, wouldn't you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

gonker wrote: »
    A suit is something you wear

a suite is a set of furniture or a set of rooms in a hotel
    :D

My bad sorry..spelling never was my strong point!!

It is indeed a suit i am looking for

alastair wrote: »
    Quite a different story from "No where in NI accepts laser" all the same, wouldn't you agree?
    Trying to prove a point?

I still stand over what I said, maestro is the form of payment in NI, Laser is for the republic only.

Trying to prove a point?

I still stand over what I said, maestro is the form of payment in NI, Laser is for the republic only.

What you actually said was that "No where in NI accepts laser". That's demonstrably not the case - regardless of whether the background mechanism applied is laser/maestro/cirrus/pixiedust - the cards are accepted by a number of retailers up north. You swipe the laser card, enter your pin and get the goods - that's the crux of the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,953 ✭✭✭✭Stark

A Laser card isn't a Maestro or a Cirrus card. It just happens to be that some cards combine some or all of the 3 facilities. The background mechanism will matter if your card has Laser but not Maestro (as a lot of cards do).

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    A Laser card isn't a Maestro or a Cirrus card. It just happens to be that some cards combine some or all of the 3 facilities. The background mechanism will matter if your card has Laser but not Maestro (as a lot of cards do).

A rather pedantic point. Most laser cards carry maestro and cirrus by default. If your card is a laser card, and you want to use the thing up north - then the point is that you can. Older bog standard vanilla laser cards without maestro or cirrus can also be used at some northern retailers too - ikea being a fairly considerable case in point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭PADDYPOKER

If the shop doesn't take Irish Laser cards then just go to a cash machine
    and withdraw the cash, surely that's close enough to the same thing?

PADDYPOKER wrote: »
    If the shop doesn't take Irish Laser cards then just go to a cash machine
    and withdraw the cash, surely that's close enough to the same thing?
    Indeed it is.

Problem is it often causes embarrassment and problems in a crowded shop. Even if they display the maestro symbol (which most shops do) there is no guarantee your card be it a laser/maestro, laser only or maestro only will be accepted. It is all down to the clearing arrangements of the processing bank that each merchant uses.

It is all down to trial and error.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Hasn't been mentioned here much. I was thinking there must be good deals in the discount stores in the north, such as Lidl, Aldi and Netto, Although I'm not sure if there are any Nettos up there. The prices seem much better than here judging by their UK web sites:

Lidl NI
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home_ni.nsf/pages/c.o.weekly_food_offer.index
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home_ni.nsf/pages/c.o.permcheap.index
    http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090402.index.ar11
    http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.pc.index (Advertised as available in Lidl UK, not sure about NI)

Aldi
    http://www.aldi.co.uk/index.htm
    http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/product_range/4862.htm

Netto
    http://www.netto.co.uk/internet/nettog/menu/main.nsf

Aldi do not operate at all in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

not 100% sure what stores were closed, i didn;t pay close attention, i remember warehouse (i think- i could be wrong) being closed, and at least 15 other empty stores. Still a lot of places open up there, and very quiet yesterday, i bought items in 6 shops, and never had to queue.

If i could buy electronics and dvd's there then i would say it is the perfect "mans" shopping center !!

maybe it was empty becuase they were spreading manure in the surrounding fields !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Aldi do not operate at all in NI.

Really, interesting, oh well thats too bad, thanks for the info. Lidl seem to have some good deals up there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Hey

Just wondering where in Newry is the best place to buy booze - specials aside, what supermarket generally has the lowest prices for beer wine and spirits?

I plan to go up next saturday and by all accounts you'd want to be there by the opening hours. Anyone know the general opening hours for the supermarkets up there?

Cheers
    Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 39 F.A.S.H

Hi,

Is Newry still as busy as it was at christmas? Thinking about goin for some clothes shopping the easter wekkend, but dont want to be looking at empty rails! No chance of going midwee im afraid!

Also, are there any special offers on euro pound conversion at the moment. Ive read one post where supervalu have a 95p to euro exchange...but that was a while ago

Any advice appreciated!
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Squidgie

Oracle wrote: »
    Hasn't been mentioned here much. I was thinking there must be good deals in the discount stores in the north, such as Lidl, Aldi and Netto, Although I'm not sure if there are any Nettos up there. The prices seem much better than here judging by their UK web sites:

Lidl NI
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home_ni.nsf/pages/c.o.weekly_food_offer.index
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home_ni.nsf/pages/c.o.permcheap.index
    http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20090402.index.ar11
    http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.pc.index (Advertised as available in Lidl UK, not sure about NI)

Aldi
    http://www.aldi.co.uk/index.htm
    http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/product_range/4862.htm

Netto
    http://www.netto.co.uk/internet/nettog/menu/main.nsf

recessionbustours.ie are starting online shopping through ASDA which is one of the best value and cheapest stores around, next week.

Delivery to their depot in the north by ASDA, they then bring down south for €20 for any amount of shopping

Word on the street ;)

• Advertisement

Squidgie wrote: »
    recessionbustours.ie are starting online shopping through ASDA which is one of the best value and cheapest stores around, next week.

Delivery to their depot in the north by ASDA, they then bring down south for €20 for any amount of shopping

Word on the street ;)

I can see that becoming a 'victim of our success' nightmare if it takes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Hope this is on the right forum, anyway did loads of shopping in Sainsburys today and the rate was 86p. Went for a walk to TKMAX and then Dunnes was there on Monaghan Street and their rate was 93p - oops should of gone to Dunnes (I don't think they have an off licence in that branch though).

Use sterling cash or cards and avoid being ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Use sterling cash or cards and avoid being ripped off.

I ditched my "cards" two years back - cash only.

The northern retailers will love to see you coming so with your euro notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

Hi,

I was thinking of going to the North midweek for maybe 2 night stay. I was also thinking of hiring a van and staying in newry (any suggestions for accomodation?). We basically need to get stuff for the house:

Kitchen appliances - was thinking Currys
    Furniture (table and chairs, 3 piece suite, beds, lockers) - not sure where to get this, maybe Ikea but need quality stuff. We will take a trip to Ikea also.

If we came home with some of the above and made a saving we would be happy.
    Realisticly, what could we bring home in the back of a van over the 3 days?
    Should we collect everything from the different stores on the last day and then head back south?
    What size van should I hire? (not used to driving a van tbh but have a full licence for a few years)

Also, what other items could we get that would be easily transportable that might be way cheaper up North than down here (we will pick up some booze id say)?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Just wondering where in Newry is the best place to buy booze - specials aside, what supermarket generally has the lowest prices for beer wine and spirits?
    Sainsburys are still probably the best for wines and beers, but they have a limited range of spirits.

We usually pick up Wolf Blass Red label or Hardy's Australian Stamp white wine for just under £5 a bottle (over €10 in Tescos here).

You really have to watch the frequency of their 'specials'.

The Golden Rule with Newry is arrive before 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Drove to enniskillen yesterday evening (for good friday) and went to the 24hour Asda. No major traffic and I was never left sitting in traffic. Plenty of parking outside of asda. They were giving 92 point something pence to the euro. The best savers were probably 24 cans of coke for £5 and 15 bottle of bud (not mine, I have taste :pac:) for £7. Heineken was the same price too.

Great experience.

Edit: Also to mention I knew it was in the direction of Cavan (from Navan) but didn't know exactly where but it is sign posted very clearly until you get to the town and even then I found Asda easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭danois

Squidgie wrote: »

Word on the street ;)

they do mention this on there site but says with our preferred supermarket does not mention asda by name are you sure its going to be asda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Loobz wrote: »
    Hi,

I was thinking of going to the North midweek for maybe 2 night stay. I was also thinking of hiring a van and staying in newry (any suggestions for accomodation?). We basically need to get stuff for the house:

Kitchen appliances - was thinking Currys
    Furniture (table and chairs, 3 piece suite, beds, lockers) - not sure where to get this, maybe Ikea but need quality stuff. We will take a trip to Ikea also.

If we came home with some of the above and made a saving we would be happy.
    Realisticly, what could we bring home in the back of a van over the 3 days?
    Should we collect everything from the different stores on the last day and then head back south?
    What size van should I hire? (not used to driving a van tbh but have a full licence for a few years)

Also, what other items could we get that would be easily transportable that might be way cheaper up North than down here (we will pick up some booze id say)?

Thanks.

Check out the IKEA website to see if what you want is actually there... only problem with IKEA and beds is that they are continential sizes so you need to be careful about where you can get bedding from in the future. If IKEA suit your needs then there is a Sainsbury's in the same complex and a B&Q. There's also a Tesco right across the road. You could then head down the Boucher Road for your electrical stuff, though depending on what you want Tesco might work too. There is a very decent sized Currys in Sprucefield which is on your way into Belfast.

If you are gonna try and get everything you mentioned above in one trip (and assuming you are talking cooker etc rather than toasters for the kitchen applicances) you'll need a very big van... you may end up needing two!

Advertisement