Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

amacachi wrote: »
    The Republic of Ireland is a smaller marker than Northern Ireland?

Nope. The Republic of Ireland is a smaller market than the UK. Just a little bit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Morgans

Nope. The Republic of Ireland is a smaller market than the UK. Just a little bit ;)

Not for Dunnes I'd wager - who I'm sure have greater share in ROI market and gain more from ROI than Northern Ireland or English operations.

Maybe there is more effective competition in Northern Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Morgans wrote: »
    Not for Dunnes I'd wager - who I'm sure have greater share in ROI market and gain more from ROI than Northern Ireland or English operations.

I'm sure no company would go into a different country and keep charging the same as it's home country. If they did that we'd see PCWorld, Tescos & Dixons much cheaper here in Ireland.
    Then there's still the differences in cost that have been repeated over and over in the posts above. I've been in Dunnes in the north. It wasn't that cheap either. Dunnes in the north isn't one that's been posted a lot in this Bargain Alert thread is it, it's generally the guys who have the huge presence in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,802 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Lads..

Keep this on-topic please... this is a 'Bargain Alerts' forum!

Take your squabbling about VAT increases and the ERSI elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

does anyone know the name of the crowd who go up north with the van and collect any orders that someone may have made. they collect and deliver to the south for a relatively small fee????

i'm looking for a dining table and chairs and wondering if there is anywhere in the north that would deliver here (Meath)

thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 2010House

poindexter wrote: »
    does anyone know the name of the crowd who go up north with the van and collect any orders that someone may have made. they collect and deliver to the south for a relatively small fee????

i'm looking for a dining table and chairs and wondering if there is anywhere in the north that would deliver here (Meath)

thanks in advance

They are dealhunter, they have a website too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

2010House wrote: »
    They are dealhunter, they have a website too.
    great stuff, thanks very much ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hammer1

thanks in advance

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zuroph viewpost.gif
    recession bus tours i think,.

More detail here....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,268 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Morgans wrote: »
    Noodler. You said earlier that you werent defending retailers. I think we can dismiss that idea as nonsense now. You are doing nothing but defend them. While different economists will come up with different results, the ERSI is an independent body with no axe to grind, and one of the main think-tanks used by the irish govt (FWIW) The question is not why prices in the ROI are dearer than in the North - my first contribution here argued that people understood that - but why prices in the ROI are vastly more than the 6-7% that the ERSI suggest they should be. Of course, if the multiples broke down their profits by country and region all would be clear. I wonder why they wont.

We all have these stories, but I'll give a good example of the differential. I was looking for a coffee machine as a present for my parents this time last year. Checked Debenhams.co.uk (£140 or approx €160 at the time) - they understandably i suppose, wouldnt deliver to Dublin but could deliver to Newry where I could collect it from their store. Decided to check Debenhams in Henry St for the same machine on the same day (€279). So, again you can defend the approx 75% price increase on VAT, wages, rents etc in dublin, or you can face up to the reality that you are defending the greed of retailers, which Irish consumers are now thankfully voting with their feet against.

Nobody has said the ESRI are biased, but what they do is put sample amount of data into a statistical software package like Stata and see if they get any estimates. There is simply no way to say for sure that 6-7% is the accurate and it seems extremely small given that does account for VAT alone. Don't be ridiculous, I am only defending them against shortsightedness from people who see a a TV in the North for 200e and feel it is their right to get it for 200e down South. Consistently mentionsing they ARE ripping us off hardly defends them, does it?
    The VAT difference takes up most of the ERSI difference. I don't see how the higher rents, smaller market, higher wages can fit into the remaining half percent. Or do they say 6 - 7% after you account for VAT?

With that said though it is still too pricey down here. Any time I've gone up north it was to save 30% to 40%.

Exactly.
    amacachi wrote: »
    The Republic of Ireland is a smaller marker than Northern Ireland?

Doh, the NI is part of the UK. Shops in the UK don't set different prices for NI in the same way Argos doesn't set different prices between Dublin and Cork. The NI is able to take advantage as being part of the UK market.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,802 ✭✭✭✭Basq

noodler banned for 2 weeks for failing to heed my warning against petty squabbling in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Vertigo007

thanks in advance

There is a new company based in Navan called smartsavers.ie and they will deliver anything you want from the North. They are also running a competition on their website for a 500 pound shopping spree. The site is worth a look. I am from Navan and just heard about them over the weekend.

Good luck with it
    Vertigo007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Vertigo007 wrote: »
    There is a new company based in Navan called smartsavers.ie and they will deliver anything you want from the North. They are also running a competition on their website for a 500 pound shopping spree. The site is worth a look. I am from Navan and just heard about them over the weekend.

Good luck with it
    Vertigo007

They look good - But not open to Dublin? Am I missing something? Missin out on a huge market for the sake of an extra hour delivery roundtrip I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Vertigo007

consultech wrote: »
    They look good - But not open to Dublin? Am I missing something? Missin out on a huge market for the sake of an extra hour delivery roundtrip I reckon.

They deliver to most of the country including Dublin.:D

Regards
    Vertigo007

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

im heading to newry on Sat

has anybody seen any good prices on on an BOSE SOUNDDOCK ???

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

Hi,
    I was supposed to be going to Enniskillen on Monday but may have to postpone it until Tuesday if the Teachers strike goes on (couldn't cope with ASDAs being mobbed with the kids off school!). Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone knows where would the best place be to go and buy an external hard drive while I'm there?
    Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Only wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was supposed to be going to Enniskillen on Monday but may have to postpone it until Tuesday if the Teachers strike goes on (couldn't cope with ASDAs being mobbed with the kids off school!). Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone knows where would the best place be to go and buy an external hard drive while I'm there?
    Thanks!!
    There's an Argos in the erneside shopping centre beside ASDA, and I'd imagine they would have good value, like
    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&langId=-1&q=HARD+DRIVE&c_1=1|cat_12108629|Hard+drives+and+data+storage|12108709&pp=20&c_2=2|cat_12108709|Hard+drives|12108716

I always check and reserve my items before going to NI Argos shops in case the hoards of Southerners buy everything up before I get there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

I normally go to Sainsburys in Newry once a month and travel from Navan which only takes about 45 minutes when I leave after work (5 o'clock) on a weekday.
    Yesterday I decided to head further north to Lisburn to see how it compared to Sainsbuys in Newry. There is no comparison.The shop is alot bigger, better laid out,shelves well stocked and no queues at the till.
    Even though it's about a half hour further on from Newry it was well worth it.
    For the first time in a while I got everything on my shopping list.

Rant over......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Squidgie

thanks in advance

recession bustours go up every day from Dublin as well as collect and deliver electrical stuff, kitchen appliances, homeware, etc. you can order gear online and have it delivered to their northern depot.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

well i went to asda in downpatrick yesterday. won't be doing that again. the store was grand but took me over two hours to get there as went wrong coming out of newry trying to get on the right road (i don't have a sat nav and i need one!) and then the "right" road is like a country road and very windy .... asda had good bargains etc but didn't have time to look at the clothes range, would be looking for the girls rather than me anyway and that's why i didn't have the time as had to be back home by 2.30 to collect them from creche and i was late!

handy as there is an argos in the same industrial estate so got the clock which was meant to keep my toddler in bed this morning which didn't work! she came in at 5.30 to tell me that "thomas's eyes were open and i'm up!" of course eyes weren't open so daddy brought her back to bed where she just sang and talked for the next hour and came back to tell us yet again that "thomas was awake!" oh dear, will try again tonight and yes thomas's eyes did open but we were all well up by then at 7.30!

now i know where it is and i've done it but drive was too long so i'll be checking out the sprucefield sainsbury next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

tregan wrote: »
    well i went to asda in downpatrick yesterday. won't be doing that again. the store was grand but took me over two hours to get there as went wrong coming out of newry trying to get on the right road (i don't have a sat nav and i need one!) and then the "right" road is like a country road and very windy .... asda had good bargains etc but didn't have time to look at the clothes range, would be looking for the girls rather than me anyway and that's why i didn't have the time as had to be back home by 2.30 to collect them from creche and i was late!

handy as there is an argos in the same industrial estate so got the clock which was meant to keep my toddler in bed this morning which didn't work! she came in at 5.30 to tell me that "thomas's eyes were open and i'm up!" of course eyes weren't open so daddy brought her back to bed where she just sang and talked for the next hour and came back to tell us yet again that "thomas was awake!" oh dear, will try again tonight and yes thomas's eyes did open but we were all well up by then at 7.30!

now i know where it is and i've done it but drive was too long so i'll be checking out the sprucefield sainsbury next.

She sounds hilerous!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

There's an Argos in the erneside shopping centre beside ASDA, and I'd imagine they would have good value, like
    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&langId=-1&q=HARD+DRIVE&c_1=1|cat_12108629|Hard+drives+and+data+storage|12108709&pp=20&c_2=2|cat_12108709|Hard+drives|12108716

I always check and reserve my items before going to NI Argos shops in case the hoards of Southerners buy everything up before I get there!

I never even thoought of Argos:rolleyes: - thanks for the tip off!!! I have looked in the catalogue and by buying the laptop in Enniskillen as compared to hee I'll be saving almost €100!!!!! I've actually reserved it now even though I won't be going up until Monday - I'll just keep reserving it until then (just in case they get sold out - only 3 of the one I want left:eek:).
    Thanks again for your help!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

[QUOTE=tregan;but drive was too long so i'll be checking out the sprucefield sainsbury next.[/QUOTE]

I was in Sprucefield yesterday.See my post before yours.It's excellent (Quiet & well stocked) but a tad too far for me.I think I will stick to Newry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Moanin wrote: »
    I was in Sprucefield yesterday.See my post before yours.It's excellent (Quiet & well stocked) but a tad too far for me.I think I will stick to Newry

It's not really that far if you value a pleasant shopping experience and ease of access etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

dcr22B wrote: »
    It's not really that far if you value a pleasant shopping experience and ease of access etc.

Ditto for sprucefield

3 easter eggs for £4 in sainsburys choice of kit kat/creme egg/caramel the same deal in dunnes drogheda for 7.49 today

bonus is marks and spencers across the road also

double bonus about 10 minutes away from asda westwood

if your still up for it on way back there are 2 tescos 24 hour shops one lisburn and the other close to outlet centre

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tesco have the smaller easter eggs at 99p a pop at present up north

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

medium easter eggs €1.20 ish in Tescos Drogheda well they were at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Super Valu in Cavan are selling 3 medium sized Easter Eggs for 3.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Decided today to avoid Newry for a change so went to Enniskillen instead.
    Big Asda beside a Big Tesco just off the main street.
    Nothing in the main street, disappointed with Asda, very small wine department.
    Thought Tesco was better, not just the wines but also the groceries which surprised me.
    Road is terrible, single lane, took 2 hours from M50 up and 2 hours back.
    Asda exchange rate .9200, Tesco .9300.
    Will be sticking to Newry/Sprucefield next time even with the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

What are deal like on frozen Chicken and Steaks in Asda/Tesco in Enniskillen? Anyone been recently? Im up Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭BABYDOLL

Hi All,

Went to the dreaded Sainsburys in the Quays, Newry on Sunday as I had the kids so couldn't handle going any further in the car! to my surprise it was quite calm & well stocked Great bargains in Poundworld 2 bags of haribo for £1 4 bars of choc for 1£ easter eggs for £1 great value... Debenhams, got a shirt that I had priced in Dublin at €28 on sale for £4.80 (on sale there but still not on sale here) & finished off with 3 ad & 2 kids for dinner in Spurs £44.
    Great days shopping!

Advertisement