Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

recessionbustours.ie are starting online shopping through ASDA which is one of the best value and cheapest stores around, next week.

But when you go onto their website it says

Coming soon....! Buy online from our recommended store in Northern Ireland & We Deliver to your door. Only €20 for all deliveries, no matter how big. No need to leave the house to avail of the cheaper prices up North! You Shop We drop! Check back here soon....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭jister

okidoki987 wrote: »

Coming soon....! Buy online from our recommended store in Northern Ireland & We Deliver to your door. Only €20 for all deliveries, no matter how big. No need to leave the house to avail of the cheaper prices up North! You Shop We drop! Check back here soon....

Will it be illegal to purchase alcohol by this method? If there is a loophole in the law that allows people buy their beer up north like this then the floodgates will well and truely burst open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

How can they make profit by charging €20 a pop. Whenever I go to ASDA or Sainsbury's, I spend about an hour finding everything I need (and all the stuff I didn't!). Add to that the time spent commuting, petrol and wear and tear on the van, and I don't see much room for profit margin based on what they charge.

I have obviously been watching too much of The Apprentice.

How can they make profit by charging €20 a pop. Whenever I go to ASDA or Sainsbury's, I spend about an hour finding everything I need (and all the stuff I didn't!). Add to that the time spent commuting, petrol and wear and tear on the van, and I don't see much room for profit margin based on what they charge.

I have obviously been watching too much of The Apprentice.

You order the stuff youself online, your address is the recessiontours warehouse. Asda do the shopping for you and drop it to the recessiontours warehouse. Recessiontours deliver it for you.

On their website they want franchisees, so I guess this is how it works, they wait until 20 or 30 people from a certain area place an order then some lad comes up, fills his van and drops the stuff off back home in Cork or Galway or Wicklow or wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Drove to enniskillen yesterday evening (for good friday) and went to the 24hour Asda. No major traffic and I was never left sitting in traffic. Plenty of parking outside of asda. They were giving 92 point something pence to the euro. The best savers were probably 24 cans of coke for £5 and 15 bottle of bud (not mine, I have taste :pac:) for £7. Heineken was the same price too.

Great experience.

Edit: Also to mention I knew it was in the direction of Cavan (from Navan) but didn't know exactly where but it is sign posted very clearly until you get to the town and even then I found Asda easy.

Did you buy Heineken there and if so what alcohol % is in the cans - is it 5% (because that's not really that nice after 2 cans)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

In sainsburys Newry today, had Sony 37" hdtv for £440 model 37U4000 had about 20 left at 3pm also samsung 32" for £330 not sure of model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hammer1

They've came. partnered up with ASDA to get stuff (even booze). only Dublin for now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

the split arse was sainsburys today and picked up a few thangs :

Coca Cola 6 pack BOGOF £2.69
    Clit Bang big ass bottle £2.91
    18 cans of harp 440ml £14

the bargain of all was 16 cans of bulmers, 2X8 packs for £16.

hammer1 wrote: »
    They've came. partnered up with ASDA to get stuff (even booze). only Dublin for now

What about chilled / frozen food can this be purchased (without it defrosting etc.)

Either way if this takes off it will obliterate the shops down here, the whole country will be buying off this crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

hammer1 wrote: »

I wonder how long before they put limits on how much you can order, surely open to abuse. What's to stop somebody ordering 500 bottles of wine and getting them delivered for €20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Asda's online shop will only let you buy limited amounts of certain products .

I can't see how it would work with chilled and frozen stuff they would need special temp controlled vans.Also isn't it illegal to sell alcohol and cigs online across borders ,even within the EU.

If you could order cigs and drink across borders then it would already be big business .

andyeire wrote: »

I can't see how it would work with chilled and frozen stuff they would need special temp controlled vans.Also isn't it illegal to sell alcohol and cigs online across borders ,even within the EU.

If you could order cigs and drink across borders then it would already be big business

I think it could be difficult to enforce in this case. You order off ASDA, they deliver it to your "friends" warehouse up north and they drop it down to your house for you.

Regarding the €20 my guess is that they will change it to €20 for the first £200 and then something like £5 per £100 after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

I can confirm that samsung in Sainsbury's was the
    Samsung LEA32A436TIDXXU.

Just in case people were wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

anyoneknow what the opening hours of shops are this weekend seen as its Easter?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

Anybody know what the traffic been's like this week going up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

Can Confirm that the Quay in newry
    EASTER OPENING TIMES
    Good Friday 9am - 9pm
    Saturday 9am - 6pm
    Easter Sunday CLOSED
    Easter Monday 9am - 6pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭samo

Heading back to Dublin from Newry yesterday traffic was backed up to the last exit before motorway ends at 1pm (roadworks at the roundabout at Newry hill though which slowed things a little) we got to Newry at 10.30 and parking nearly gone but Sainsburys not too bad, by 12.30-1pm or so it was bedlam!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

Anybody know what the traffic been's like this week going up?

Kids on holidays so quite busy after 10AM, about a 10 minute car backup to Quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

What are the best shops to visit in Derry?
    Currys, Tesco and Sainsburys are three. Does anyone recommend any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pixied

What are the best shops to visit in Derry?
    Currys, Tesco and Sainsburys are three. Does anyone recommend any others?

Hi

I was just wondering are these shops open in Derry on friday as usual?? Someone told me they are not...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

They are. Same business hours as the rest of NI. Sunday closed tho. Derry also has jjb. Usually good bargains in there at pennyburn. There is pc world beside currys. And of course foyleside and richmond. For your drink and general food shop u have the old reliable tesco and sainsburys. Always find the waterside tesco to have more in it tho and better organised than quayside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The UK budget is on the 22nd of this month so a chance that excise rates there will rise, might be an idea to stock up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,929 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I just spotted this on google. Might be of interest to anyone in Galway wishing to shop in Enniskillen.

Just to point out I have no association with this business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Squidgie

andyeire wrote: »

If you could order cigs and drink across borders then it would already be big business .

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hammer1 viewpost.gif

What about chilled / frozen food can this be purchased (without it defrosting etc.)

Either way if this takes off it will obliterate the shops down here, the whole country will be buying off this crowd.

from website:

We deliver in temperature controlled vans, but please don't order any frozen goods.
    We deliver whatever you order!
    We deliver 6 days a week, Monday - Saturday.

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    The UK budget is on the 22nd of this month so a chance that excise rates there will rise, might be an idea to stock up now.
    And there's also talk about either restricting the amount of booze that the supermarkets can sell and/or put measures* in place to stop them selling below a certain price.

Jesus I just love the puns :D

Pixied wrote: »
    Hi

I was just wondering are these shops open in Derry on friday as usual?? Someone told me they are not...:confused:
    AFAIK they are open as usual. If in doubt you could google "shops in Derry" and get a contact phone no. and give them a call.

The pubs are all open which is excellent news for us who live beside the border :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

muffler wrote: »
    AFAIK they are open as usual. If in doubt you could google "shops in Derry" and get a contact phone no. and give them a call.

The pubs are all open which is excellent news for us who live beside the border :)

In case anyone isn't aware, to ring an NI number from the Republic, replace the (028) code with 048.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Squidgie wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hammer1 viewpost.gif

from website:

We deliver in temperature controlled vans, but please don't order any frozen goods.
    We deliver whatever you order!
    We deliver 6 days a week, Monday - Saturday.

They will deliver alcohol but it is up to the purchaser to ensure that they pay the relevant excise duty, you must inform revenue of your purchases in advance if you are having them couriered across the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

you must inform revenue of your purchases in advance if you are having them couriered across the border.

Now why didn't Lenihan think of that, sure that will solve all our problems. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Squidgie

Now why didn't Lenihan think of that, sure that will solve all our problems. ;)

Just booked about €180 worth of stuff from ASDA, mostly groceries, nappies etc. but got a few bottles of wine and beer as well. Getting delivered on Saturday. :)

Advertisement