Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

What are the best shops to visit in Derry?
    Currys, Tesco and Sainsburys are three. Does anyone recommend any others?

Matalan - just across the road from the Waterside Derry - great for clothes and household items.
    TK Max - beside Matalan - can be lucky in there sometimes - I normally go for the hoousehold stuff.
    PRIMARK - Cheap cheap cheap - in the same building as Tesco Waterside
    Iceland - it's small but they can have great deals - I think this is in the Foyleside.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bored_newbie

greenman09 wrote: »
    They are. Same business hours as the rest of NI. Sunday closed tho. Derry also has jjb. Usually good bargains in there at pennyburn. There is pc world beside currys. And of course foyleside and richmond. For your drink and general food shop u have the old reliable tesco and sainsburys. Always find the waterside tesco to have more in it tho and better organised than quayside.

Only wrote: »
    Matalan - just across the road from the Waterside Derry - great for clothes and household items.
    TK Max - beside Matalan - can be lucky in there sometimes - I normally go for the hoousehold stuff.
    PRIMARK - Cheap cheap cheap - in the same building as Tesco Waterside
    Iceland - it's small but they can have great deals - I think this is in the Foyleside.

Cheers lads, that's a few more to visit so.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

Richard wrote: »
    This would surprise me. When Asda bought Safeway's NI stores, they made a point of saying that everything, including Petrol would be the same as the rest of the UK.

Your correct all asda stores have the same pricing policy so its the same price in all the stores unlike tesco stores who have differant pricing policy within their stores

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

jister wrote: »
    You order the stuff youself online, your address is the recessiontours warehouse. Asda do the shopping for you and drop it to the recessiontours warehouse. Recessiontours deliver it for you.

On their website they want franchisees, so I guess this is how it works, they wait until 20 or 30 people from a certain area place an order then some lad comes up, fills his van and drops the stuff off back home in Cork or Galway or Wicklow or wherever.

If its asda enniskillen they are doing thier shopping for them they have wait a few months before home shopping starts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Squidgie

Dooish wrote: »
    If its asda enniskillen they are doing thier shopping for them they have wait a few months before home shopping starts

My stuff is coming from Belfast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I was in Sainsbury's yesterday and noticed the price of several staples that I buy whenever I'm there had shot up. These would be products relying on importation, like coconut milk (from €1.05 to €1.30). Weak sterling finally having an impact, but of course it's still cheaper than down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Finally got to Newry and was shocked at how cheap stuff like Mach 3 razor blades were - £8.23 for 8 in Superchem - thats just over €9 or €1.12 a blade or less than half what they charge down here. We saved another small fortune on baby formula, baby food, wipes etc. Didn't think the food was any cheaper than say our local Lidl but the clothes were a lot cheaper in Marks than their southern equivalent.

The one complaint was when we went for a meal in Spur restaraunt across from the Quays shopping centre. The food/service/kiddies play area were excellent but when the bill came, I thought we were paying in sterling (£30 for a starter, 2 main courses, 1 kids meal, dessert and 2 coffees). However, after inputting my credit card pin, the print out then spewed out of the handheld credit card machine that notified me that I would be charged in euro (not sterling) at a rate of 80p to the euro (it is currently 91p to the euro), that I had just waived my right to object to the conversion rate and that I had no recourse to seeking to have mastercards conversion rate applied. I thought that this was very sharp practice and kind of left a sour taste in the mouth. While I would recommend Spur for a good meal, pay in cash so you won't get hit with this smart alec practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The one complaint was when we went for a meal in Spur restaraunt across from the Quays shopping centre. The food/service/kiddies play area were excellent but when the bill came, I thought we were paying in sterling (£30 for a starter, 2 main courses, 1 kids meal, dessert and 2 coffees). However, after inputting my credit card pin, the print out then spewed out of the handheld credit card machine that notified me that I would be charged in euro (not sterling) at a rate of 80p to the euro (it is currently 91p to the euro), that I had just waived my right to object to the conversion rate and that I had no recourse to seeking to have mastercards conversion rate applied. I thought that this was very sharp practice and kind of left a sour taste in the mouth. While I would recommend Spur for a good meal, pay in cash so you won't get hit with this smart alec practice.
    I agree it is very sharp practice. It happens in loads of places not just food places. As soon as they see a card from the republic they go into euro mode unless you object. I would refuse to enter my PIN in those situations.

They should only be charging you in Sterling as that is the lawful currency of the UK of which NI happens to be a part thereof. I would be complaining to Trading Standards in Newry and Mourne District Council. Also a complaint to their bank.

They should have asked if you wanted to pay in euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Martin_F

I'd have thought that they have to tell you in advance if they are changing the currency & hence the price. After all the price on the menu is in Sterling not Euro. You should only pay in euro if you hand over euro notes - I've never paid euro in uk on a credit card and would scream blue murder if someone pulled that on me.

Actually, Dave - if they didn't tell you in advance clearly that you were paying in euro - i'd be inclined to complain direct to Visa or Mastercard. I'd say in the shop you were entitled to demand a credit card refund and have them put the transaction through again in sterling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Martin_F wrote: »
    Actually, Dave - if they didn't tell you in advance clearly that you were paying in euro - i'd be inclined to complain direct to Visa or Mastercard. I'd say in the shop you were entitled to demand a credit card refund and have them put the transaction through again in sterling.

I had the reverse of this happen in a Hotel in Dublin - I was charged in Sterling on my UK Credit card when if they'd charged me in Euros it woyld have been a few quid cheaper. I didn't complain at the time as the receptionist didn't speak very good English and I wasn't in the mood for a long protracted argument.

I also once had a problem when paying for petrol in a station in Clones. They tried to charge me in Sterling on my Irish Credit Card. I imagine that two conversion fees would have really hiked the cost. I paid cash in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ManyQuestions

Hi,

Apologies if this has already been covered, but theres a heap of pages to this thread that i cant trawl through anymore :)

Heading to the Quays tomorrow, Sainsbury's.

Am I better paying with € or £ Cash?
    OR
    By CC/Laser and asking for the transaction to be processed in £?

Cards are laser and visa, bank is AIB.

Again, sorry if its a repeat, just looking to make all possible savings.

Thanks

MQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Fer

Squidgie wrote: »
    Just booked about €180 worth of stuff from ASDA, mostly groceries, nappies etc. but got a few bottles of wine and beer as well. Getting delivered on Saturday. :)

Let me know how you get on with this. Im very interested as it would take all the hassle out it.:)

You are better off using sterling cash which you can obtain at the best rate from an ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The one complaint was when we went for a meal in Spur restaraunt across from the Quays shopping centre. The food/service/kiddies play area were excellent but when the bill came...
    They are very expensive, although the food is good.

There's plenty of good places on Newry main street (Hill St.) plus there's also a cheap and cheerful cafe in Sainsburys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 envelope

Hi
    I was thinking of heading to Banbridge Outlets tomorrow and then on to Sprucefield. Ill be leaving from Navan area around 9am and would rather not sit in traffic to get around Newry. Is this the only route or can anyone recommend an alternative way?

thanks
    envelope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Hi,

Apologies if this has already been covered, but theres a heap of pages to this thread that i cant trawl through anymore :)

Heading to the Quays tomorrow, Sainsbury's.

Am I better paying with € or £ Cash?
    OR
    By CC/Laser and asking for the transaction to be processed in £?

Cards are laser and visa, bank is AIB.

Again, sorry if its a repeat, just looking to make all possible savings.

Thanks

MQ

I got stung for a laser fee in London last week. If you use your laser card at the till you will get charged a fee. Either use your credit card at the till or take out a bundle of cash at the ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

My dad mentioned he saw a Sony and Samsung TV for sale in Sainsbury's this week, I can find the Sony on their website but not the Samsung.

Anyone know what the Samsung was?

He said the price was £320 but didn't note the model. :rolleyes:

Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

eddiem74 wrote: »
    My dad mentioned he saw a Sony and Samsung TV for sale in Sainsbury's this week, I can find the Sony on their website but not the Samsung.

Anyone know what the Samsung was?

He said the price was £320 but didn't note the model. :rolleyes:

Thanks !

I saw one there a few weeks ago.It was a samsung 32"LCD for £329.99 Model #LE32A436TIDXXU

Richard wrote: »
    I had the reverse of this happen in a Hotel in Dublin - I was charged in Sterling on my UK Credit card when if they'd charged me in Euros it woyld have been a few quid cheaper. I didn't complain at the time as the receptionist didn't speak very good English and I wasn't in the mood for a long protracted argument.

I also once had a problem when paying for petrol in a station in Clones. They tried to charge me in Sterling on my Irish Credit Card. I imagine that two conversion fees would have really hiked the cost. I paid cash in the end.

As far as I'm concerned the only reason for retailers to offer this via a credit card is to take the guesswork out of the bill. I had it on Flybe's web site - I was allowed to pay in sterling or euro - I selected euro - since the rate they offered was pretty on the ball. However - if the rate is out by 10 percent then quite frankly it's a con - you have the right to demand to be billed in the legal tender of the country in question - they actually can't insist you pay in the currency of your card. In recent months I've shoped in Curry's, B&Q, Sainsbury's, Ikea, and others all over NI and I've always been chaged sterling on the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

ian_m wrote: »
    I got stung for a laser fee in London last week. If you use your laser card at the till you will get charged a fee. Either use your credit card at the till or take out a bundle of cash at the ATM.

You also get charged a % for using your CC (usually 3% on most Irish CC's) - it's built into the rate when you see it on your bill ... it's the reason I changed CC to a different provider - I get charged 1.75%.
    It still mightn't be cheaper to pay in £ though cause you have to pay to convert over from € in the first place.

Yes - most credit cards world wide charge a commission on foreign currency transactions - it's hidden in the rate they apply. You are charged similar commissions via ATM transactions on your normal cash point cards. I usually find the credit card normally charges a very competitive exchange rate vs ATM - but I guess it depends on the banks involved.

I found this article about UK businesses accepting euro for transactions.

http://www.euro.gov.uk/factsheetspdf/EuroFactsheet6-Accept.pdf

It is very clear that businesses must be very clear & transparent about charging in non sterling - and indicates that credit card transaction will still be charged in sterling (although it does not say if this is mandatory).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

The bill that arrived at the table after meal was in sterling but gav eth euro conversion which was off by over 10%. As everything I'd bought that day was charged in sterling, I assumed that this was also the case so I was annoyed and shocked when I put in my card pin and then the receipt spewed out and informed me that I had been mugged and that I had just agreed to waive my right to dispute the amount charged in euro. Very sharp practice and if it was in this country, then I'd complain. Perhaps our northern cousins are getting too used to southern customers and the rip off mentality that was so prevalent here is spreading across the border.

I was once shopping in Sainsburys in Newry, (I don't anymore) and as soon as the shopping was fully scanned the cashier quoted a euro amount with no reference to the sterling total. I said I would rather pay in sterling to which I received the reply "Would it not be easier for you to pay in euro?"

In and around Newry they automatically assume you want to pay in euro. This practice is widespread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Fergster

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I was once shopping in Sainsburys in Newry, (I don't anymore) and as soon as the shopping was fully scanned the cashier quoted a euro amount with no reference to the sterling total. I said I would rather pay in sterling to which I received the reply "Would it not be easier for you to pay in euro?"

In and around Newry they automatically assume you want to pay in euro. This practice is widespread.

Yeah wonder what the concersion rate is that they use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Bond-007 wrote: »

In the days before credit cards were as ubiquitous as today I was often asked at petrol satations "Do you want to pay in Sterling? - we'll give you the extra."

I think a lot of people were taken in by this - especially when both currencies were £-denominated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Newry was a complete zoo today. We made it for 8.30am, when we were going back the traffic stretched all the way back to the border.

Another good reason to end prohibition on Good Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Newry was a complete zoo today. We made it for 8.30am, when we were going back the traffic stretched all the way back to the border.
    Strabane is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

We went today and left Drogheda @ 10.25, arrived in Newry at 11, looking over at the A1 it was mayhem, stretched pretty far back, they were rock blasting from 12pm onwards, on the way home at 1:30 I was speechless the traffic was backed up to the Carrickdale, pure madness to sit in that traffic with numerous short cuts around the place which have zero traffic into Newry.

Sainsburys itself was madness, couldnt get up the isle's because the queue's were going down them. Normally use Sprucfield for the last couple of months but was just buying drink today so opted for Newry, there was very little of the wines on offer available and as usual they werent restocking. Plus the 2 crates for 15 that was on offer last week wasn't this week sadly.

Overall pure mayhem pity anyone who was in that traffic.

Advertisement