Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Only wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was supposed to be going to Enniskillen on Monday but may have to postpone it until Tuesday if the Teachers strike goes on (couldn't cope with ASDAs being mobbed with the kids off school!). Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone knows where would the best place be to go and buy an external hard drive while I'm there?
    Thanks!!

The strike is off, shop till you drop. Asda sell external harddrives, I saw a few in Adsa Enniskillen, they might not stock all hard disks on their website but they did have some.

http://direct.asda.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-ASDA-Site/default/Search-Show?q=hard+disk

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Only

DonJose wrote: »
    The strike is off, shop till you drop. Asda sell external harddrives, I saw a few in Adsa Enniskillen, they might not stock all hard disks on their website but they did have some.

http://direct.asda.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-ASDA-Site/default/Search-Show?q=hard+disk

Fantastic!!! Is that a definante? ... didn't get to see any news today.
    Thanks a million for the link too .. didn't know Asda do hard drives ... I've a lot to learn :o

• Registered Users Posts: 38 thepoolgirl

sorry if this is in the wrong place.
    I'm heading up to enniskillen Fri been going every month for awhile now.
    i usually get my sterling here then go but wanted to just use ATM
    I don't have CC just a permanent tsb ATM card can i use that in hole in the wall with my card?Or should i just get it b4 i go like usual
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Best to check with your bank, tbh.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Folks

First baby on its way in 8 weeks.
    Was thinking of heading north at the weekend to purchase the expensive stuff, buggy, car seat, changing unit, moses basket etc.

What good shops are in Newry vs Lisburn vs Belfast?
    Anybody been there and done that?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Folks

Was thinking of heading north at the weekend to purchase the expensive stuff, buggy, car seat, changing unit, moses basket etc.

Thanks

after doing just that a few months back would definetely recommend others to do same these shops in the south offer nothing in terms of value actually they all seem to be happy operating at same price levels

mamas and papas new shop in belfast, their price in euro versus sterling are unreal

mamas and bumps in newry

mothercare in buttercrane newry

dont forget to look on adverts

etcetc wrote: »
    after doing just that a few months back would definetely recommend others to do same these shops in the south offer nothing in terms of value actually they all seem to be happy operating at same price levels

mamas and papas new shop in belfast, their price in euro versus sterling are unreal

mamas and bumps in newry

mothercare in buttercrane newry

dont forget to look on adverts

Thanks for that-
    Which would you recommend most? Was going to head to Belfast as reckoned things less hectic.

Whats adverts?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Whats adverts?
    Boards' sister site...

http://www.adverts.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

Folks

Thanks

Congrats in the same position myself. Living close to the border so have had the opportunity to check out prices both north and south. Kings of Keady, Co. Armagh if you're heading up but found buying them online much cheaper, few of the links below

www.babydaysdirect.co.uk

www.bambinodirect.co.uk

www.dorel.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 crazy frog

you probably wont need one of these for at least a year but asda last week was selling stair gates that retailed at 40€ in my local toy city store. in asda the exact same one for 10£ :eek:

if your gonna get 1 you might think about getting 2. they also had baby monitors a few week back for 15£ i think i paid 70€ for simular ones in dunnes down south.

Folks

Thanks

• Advertisement

daithip wrote: »
    Congrats in the same position myself. Living close to the border so have had the opportunity to check out prices both north and south. Kings of Keady, Co. Armagh if you're heading up but found buying them online much cheaper, few of the links below

www.babydaysdirect.co.uk

www.bambinodirect.co.uk

www.dorel.co.uk

Congrats to you too.
    Thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Decided today to avoid Newry for a change so went to Enniskillen instead.
    Big Asda beside a Big Tesco just off the main street.
    Nothing in the main street, disappointed with Asda, very small wine department.
    Thought Tesco was better, not just the wines but also the groceries which surprised me.
    Road is terrible, single lane, took 2 hours from M50 up and 2 hours back.
    Asda exchange rate .9200, Tesco .9300.
    Will be sticking to Newry/Sprucefield next time even with the traffic.

how big do you want

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭sudo911

Guys,

anyone up the north later this afternoon/evening or even tomorrow morning?

I need to get a particular game for my sons birthday on Saturday, so if someone could pick one up for me I would be eternally grateful!

Here's the link to it on the argos site: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5666906/Trail/searchtext%3EGUITAR+HERO+WORLD+TOUR.htm

It's €269 down here.

I'm in Dublin all day tomorrow, so could meet anywhere.

thanks,

Sudo911.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Have you checked in Smiths in Dublin ? I am pretty sure i saw it for €190 or there abouts in Smiths in Liffey Valley a few weeks ago. I was buying the guitar only version and this caught my attention.

Might save you a lot of hassle, and not that much more expensive than argos.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

anyone know of any decent places up north where you can buy l shaped sofas and ceiling lights, prices down here are mad so just want to compare with up north, any help much appreciated and will report back as travelling up tommorow,thx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

daithip wrote: »

www.babydaysdirect.co.uk

www.bambinodirect.co.uk

www.dorel.co.uk

Congrats on the coming new arrival. We have got lots of stuff in King's over the years and have found them great. It is a bit of a trek out in the country but they have lots of stuff to look at and will order in anything they cannot get. Other than that you cannot beat the oul online shopping and lots deliver to Ireland now for very cheap.

Best of Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭7mountpleasant

heading up to asda enniskillen in the morning from leitrim , colleague in work was saying that asda in enniskillen has marked a lot of stuff up in comparision to their other stores in u.k and the north up by 10%-15% , anybody know is their any truth in this, he reckons if doing a big shop could be cheaper heading to asda in strabane?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Folks

Thanks

kiddicare.com is excellent for prams and buggys.
    I bought my stuff there cheaper then I could get it north or south of the border.
    Bumps and babies in Newry is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

how big do you want

Well Asda in Eniskillen is about the same size as Sainsburys in Newry
    but wine/beer area in Sainsburys is 2 or 3 times the size of Asda's.
    Here's the link to it on the argos site: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...WORLD+TOUR.htm

It's €269 down here.

It was £147.99 in Game in Enniskillen on Wednesday.
    That was for Xbox, Wii and PS3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

Folks

Thanks

Im due in ten weeks. Went to Toys r us in Lisburn (babies r us) recently.

http://www.toysrus.co.uk

got great bargains there. Got a great all in one pram including car seat, rain covers, changing bag, muff, turns into stroller etc - all for IR£269. When purchased it was IR£300 and when i went to collect it, it was reduced by IR£30 and they had no quams about refunding me the difference. They will hold any items for you so you dont have to collect them there and then. Would highly recommend them. Great selection also for cots, mosses baskets etc. Also try smyths in newry to compare prices. They sometimes have specials on certain things compared to Smyths in south.
    www.smythstoys.co.uk
    For all baby nappies, toileties etc., sainsburys have 1/3 off all babycare this weekend. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

heading up to asda enniskillen in the morning from leitrim , colleague in work was saying that asda in enniskillen has marked a lot of stuff up in comparision to their other stores in u.k and the north up by 10%-15% , anybody know is their any truth in this, he reckons if doing a big shop could be cheaper heading to asda in strabane?

This would surprise me. When Asda bought Safeway's NI stores, they made a point of saying that everything, including Petrol would be the same as the rest of the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

As it is the 6th most profitable store in the Walmart group they would have no need to be price gouging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

After listening to her sisters and friends, my wife is mad keen to go up to Newry for the "bargains" but I'm doubtful that we'd save much when petrol is taken into account. However, I could be wrong so what are the biggest price savers compared to down here, e.g. nappies, baby food (we've 4 kids, 3 of whom are under 3), razor blades etc. We're not big drinkers so a booze cruise wouldn't entice me up north for that reason alone.

BTW she wants to go up on Good Friday as we can get a babysitter for that day but are the shops up north closed that day or are the brazen heathens open?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Just did a small calculation on the few goods I purchased this week up north when I was up there on business, and compared with my local supermarket this morning :

I bought easter eggs, beer, kitchen towels, razor blades, toothbrushes and wine:

I spent £152 which is EUR169 at current rates:

Total cost in my local supermarket for the exact same goods/brands: EUR241

Cost of goods: 42.6% cheaper -, and since I was on business, I had no transport/petrol costs to worry about.

After listening to her sisters and friends, my wife is mad keen to go up to Newry for the "bargains" but I'm doubtful that we'd save much when petrol is taken into account. However, I could be wrong so what are the biggest price savers compared to down here, e.g. nappies, baby food (we've 4 kids, 3 of whom are under 3), razor blades etc. We're not big drinkers so a booze cruise wouldn't entice me up north for that reason alone.

BTW she wants to go up on Good Friday as we can get a babysitter for that day but are the shops up north closed that day or are the brazen heathens open?:D

For a 'general' supermarket shop, your savings will be approx 40%- 45% before taking petrol costs into account, but if you spend approx £300, then your savings will definately be around 40% after petrol - in addition, if you buy higher value goods like clothes, electrical, etc, then you will save even more money - can't advise opening times for Good Friday, but obviously, the goods to buy at savings of 40% include washing powders, kitchen towels, razors, toothbrushes, (in fact nearly all toiletries are much cheaper - these are the goods that always up your weekly shop by 10 - 20 Eur ) dish washer tablets, chocolate, beer wine, coffee- i.e. buy the 'dry' goods you use all the time and you'll see the savings back home on a weekly basis -if ure bringing up a 'gang', then obviously you'll loose some of those savings on additional goods that you wouldn't normally purchase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Went up to Enniskillen yesterday. Easter Eggs are nonexistent in Asda bar Cadburys Creem eggs :mad:
    However, Tesco have some decent ones half price(Yorkie, Twirl, Dairy Milk, Mars etc) going for about £2.29.

Regarding alcohol, a 1L of Baileys has shot up in price in Asda to over 17quid! :eek:
    Tesco did not have 1L bottles so i settled for a 70cl bottle for 11quid.

Also 20 bottles of 330ml(5%) Heineken going for £15.98 in Asda(is that good? as i hardly drink the stuff!). Cans of Magners light for the missus were 4 for £5.37 and i swore i seen pint bottles at £3 but forgot to get them! And 1L Bacardi was 14quid.

Was in a Tesco well beyond Belfast as was on business up there:

Didn't see any great discounts in wine compared to the current Sainsburys offers, so did a bit of a beer shop instead :)

Tiger beer- 4 * 330ml for £3.93
    Corona Extra: 12 bottles * 3.30 ml for 11.98stg

so good savings on beer but will stick to Sainburys for wine value and selection

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

hi all,,

shops are open in NI on good friday as went up years ago with partner now hubby as he had a job to go to up there

re tiger beer

when i went on my big drive to asda i got 2 x 4pack tiger beer for £6, don't know about other beers as not a beer drinker but all in all definitely worth getting your shopping in NI (maybe not as far as downpatrick though! see earlier post!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Good friday is business as usual in north. Their bank hols are easter mon and tues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

hey .

im heading up tommorrw, how is it on sunday?

is most shops open ?

were heading up to Sainsburys in newry area

Advertisement