Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford University discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

JimWinters wrote: »
    Is the article online? At first I was under the impression he was a civil servant but then I heard his company https://www.bhassociates.eu/ were brought in to run the merger. I take it that it’s another “jobs for the boys” arrangement?

https://waterford-news.ie/2021/01/02/it-carlow-were-not-consulted-about-boland-appointment/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

JimWinters wrote:
    were brought in to run the merger. I take it that it’s another “jobs for the boys†arrangement?

Jesus, neoliberalism is just bloody disturbing

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭azimuth17

JimWinters wrote: »
    Is the article online? At first I was under the impression he was a civil servant but then I heard his company https://www.bhassociates.eu/ were brought in to run the merger. I take it that it’s another “jobs for the boys” arrangement?

Far more dangerous than "jobs for the boys". A handpicked insider and ex-head of the Higher Education Authority, with an anti WIT track record, selected to do a hatchet job on WIT. He was chosen by Simon Harris, Minister for Further Education, the man who as Minister for Health made a career of opposing cardiology expansion at UHW. A Fine Gael ready up to shaft WIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Bards

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Far more dangerous than "jobs for the boys". A handpicked insider and ex-head of the Higher Education Authority, with an anti WIT track record, selected to do a hatchet job on WIT. He was chosen by Simon Harris, Minister for Further Education, the man who as Minister for Health made a career of opposing cardiology expansion at UHW. A Fine Gael ready up to shaft WIT.

And what's worse is SF is actually endorsing the TUSE instead of demanding Waterford become a full blown university and carlow becomes the TU

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

More TU game changer waffle coming out of CIT
    Merger of colleges is a potential game-changer and great for Cork

What I did find interesting was this line

Even in the last 12 to 18 months, we have taken in an extra €63m in investment from the State for buildings and research. There is another €50m coming down the track, in terms of a new building in CIT and in Tralee.

Thats 113 million going to CIT and to a lesser extent ITTralee. I have looked and in terms of funding to WIT all I could find was a 2 million campus development grant and the new 20 million building which hasn't gone to tender yet. CIT got and 18 million campus development grant alone

Cork Institute of Technology gets €18m to upgrade its Bishopstown campus

Jesus its so depressing - scratch that - its so scandalous how WIT and Waterford are treated by this and preceding governments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Bards wrote: »
    And what's worse is SF is actually endorsing the TUSE instead of demanding Waterford become a full blown university and carlow becomes the TU

Do you think the SE will get two universities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭914

vriesmays wrote: »
    Do you think the SE will get two universities.

Not a fear of it, but if any government was serious about addressing the issues of the SE, then this would be the way forward. One fully fledged Uni and the other TU, that would actually put us on par with other regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mart 23

Create the TUSE and the money will flow into SE Education sector like Cork and Kerry. The chance to do so is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭invara

mart 23 wrote: »
    Create the TUSE and the money will flow into SE Education sector like Cork and Kerry. The chance to do so is available.

Not a chance of this working as a plan.

Cork got the loot because the country is run from Cork South Central, and the money flowed into CIT before they signed off on their TU application.

Patronage is patronage. We have none, so we are not getting anything before or after the merger unless we have some political leverage- and the only leverage is to walk away from the TU without signing their bits of paper.

WRH/UHW was promised the sun moon and stars to sign on to the Cork group, none of which was delivered. Just look at the fight to get hold of vaccine for UHW frontline staff whilst it was being doled out to non-critical staff in CUH.

WIT staff, management, and regional stakeholders need to hold the line to get equitable resources for the coming generations of young people in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

Most naïve post ever!

• Advertisement

You obviously don't know about the long history of underinvestment in WIT and Waterford generally. We don't have any political clout ( and haven't had for over a decade) and it has cost us investment over and over again .

See my post above about 113 million into CIT and a much lesser extent IT Tralee , only 22 Million into WIT which includes a building that has been delayed for over 10 years but if you listen to the politicians you would think its a new development. Waterford is always at the bottom of the list and we have learned from bitter experience that isn't going to change.

Do you believe in unicorns by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

At least Matt has some semblence of an understanding on the issue.

Cullinane, Butler, Cummins, Cathasaigh (whos brother is a director in Carlow IT!) are just totally complicit here.

This is political genocide

https://twitter.com/MattShanahanTD/status/1349124863471050753?s=20
    We have been saying this thread for years , WIT is massively under appreciated and even with the systematic under funding they get from the government it excels in the sector ( Institute of Technology of the year this year and ranked higher than Maynooth University and TUD) . It is a bit troubling that the stats are coming as a surprise to Matt but at least he went looking. I bet the rest our Tds have no idea and don't really care about the WIT stats and performance compared to Carlow and the rest of the IT sector .

Shanahan was pretty written off as a FF flunky by another name when elected but he is the only one taking any interest in the fate of WIT.

Shanahan was pretty written off as a FF flunky by another name when elected but he is the only one taking any interest in the fate of WIT.

He is. I contacted all our political reps and to be fair to Shanaha he was only one of two (Cullinane) who gave a detailed reply and was fully supportive in supporting Waterford on Uni status.

The other three (Butler, Cummins and Cathasaigh) stated how supportive they were of the TU merger and had full confidence in it while failing to answer any of the concerns on the matter which I raised, such as HQ, reasoning behind the merger, what the merger actually achieves, how the south east will be any stronger as every other IT is ear marked for TU status etc) while also failing to supply any reasoning behind why they are so supportive or why they feel it is beneficial to the region.

One of the three even finished their response with this

"It is my belief that if we have a TUSE now, it is at least a university. Not the university I (or most other people would like us to have) but it is still a university."

If that is the attitude we are well and truly f***ed

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

WIT can't make a decision, if they are open or closed,making staff come in to work.Has gotten so bad that the unions are involved.

WIT can't make a decision, if they are open or closed,making staff come in to work.Has gotten so bad that the unions are involved.

Are WIT not almost fully online since September?

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1162295/

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

Yes courses are online,but all WIT buildings are open to anyone, They need to restrict access to essential staff which they are very slow in doing.

• Advertisement

Yes courses are online,but all WIT buildings are open to anyone, They need to restrict access to essential staff which they are very slow in doing.

Is it a case of keeping people in employment as maybe these positions can not be worked from home?

azimuth17 wrote:
    Excellent piece in the Dail by Shanahan Harry. I just saw it on Facebook.

You have to hand it to him, he's seriously up against it there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

azimuth17 wrote: »

Seriously impressed, fair play Matt Shanahan. Our strongest TD by miles. Pity he is not in a party, he’d be a serious contender to be a minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

914 wrote: »
    "It is my belief that if we have a TUSE now, it is at least a university. Not the university I (or most other people would like us to have) but it is still a university."

If that is the attitude we are well and truly f***ed

A good university offers courses like medicine and theology.

vriesmays wrote: »
    A good university offers courses like medicine and theology.

an even better one provides a broad range of courses for all of societies needs

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

https://www.tuse.ie/job-opportunity-tusei-brand-manager/

Why is this position being created? A 95 grand a year PR role - basically equivalent of a Govt TD being put in to manage the communication around this!

No doubt to keep the discontent of staff from the public.

This is disgusting and worse still things must be moving very fast

https://www.tuse.ie/job-opportunity-tusei-brand-manager/

Why is this position being created? A 95 grand a year PR role - basically equivalent of a Govt TD being put in to manage the communication around this!

No doubt to keep the discontent of staff from the public.

This is disgusting and worse still things must be moving very fast

we have commodified education

• Advertisement

A Master's degree or Level 10 qualification in communications, PR, journalism or marketing and experience in a higher education environment is highly desirable.

Talk about being overqualified!

Advertisement