Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford University discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

We don't need a mickey mouse university. We need one that that's in Waterford city. The mere suggestion that they're thinking of putting a headquarters in Kilkenny makes my blood boil. Kilkenny isn't even city, it's a town.

This is why we need more Waterford politicians in SENIOR ministries. Greystones has two seniors ministers. Sick to death of the South East being an after thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

They really must be trolling with the suggestion Kilkenny being the headquarters for the southeast university, and not the only city in the region. Jesus wept.

They really must be trolling with the suggestion Kilkenny being the headquarters for the southeast university, and not the only city in the region. Jesus wept.
    Nope I have feared this is going to happen for a while , the brewery site in Kilkenny has been lined up for a while and there is a lot of building going on there at the moment. This might wake up the Waterford public on how damaging for WIT this merger will be

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

This has been obvious to me for a long time now that this would happen.

We are being sold a pup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Benimar wrote: »

We are being sold a pup.

Excuse my innocence’s if it is the case. Could this not play into WIT’s and Waterford’s hands. Waterford has been needing and seeking a proper university for decades and now we are going to end up with a TUSE freak show were the headquarters won’t even be in Waterford. Could WIT not just pull out of the process on these grounds.

Actually, could this headquarters in Kilkenny not also just be a trick. Say headquarters in Kilkenny to scare WIT and Waterford into excepting the TUSE. If WIT goes with the TUSE the government will "change their mind" and have the headquarters in Waterford but still have departments in Kilkenny, Wexford etc which is what their TD’s really want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

BBM77 wrote: »
    Excuse my innocence’s if it is the case. Could this not play into WIT’s and Waterford’s hands. Waterford has been needing and seeking a proper university for decades and now we are going to end up with a TUSE freak show were the headquarters won’t even be in Waterford. Could WIT not just pull out of the process on these grounds.
    Actually, could this headquarters in Kilkenny not also just be a trick. Say headquarters in Kilkenny to scare WIT and Waterford into excepting the TUSE. If WIT goes with the TUSE the government will "change their mind" and have the headquarters in Waterford but still have departments in Kilkenny, Wexford etc which is what their TD’s really want.

The WIT 'Powers that be' are on board with the TUSEI proposal, so they don't need to be scared into it, nor will they pull the plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

We are being sold a pup.

And John cummins polishing the boots of the men kicking us in the balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its a scandal and its going unfold in front of us with no one that matters saying a word. Such a pity there are no elections due for awhile.

• Advertisement

The WIT 'Powers that be' are on board with the TUSEI proposal, so they don't need to be scared into it, nor will they pull the plug.

I really just don't get why WIT is going ahead with the TUSE :confused: I know people have said here that politicians are forcing them into it so they can say they got a university. Still does not really full explain it to me.

Have a feeling the TUSE still won’t happen.

"I want to emphasize that this is TU for everyone in the region not just Waterford or for Carlow but also for Wexford, Kilkenny, Wicklow, Laois, and Kildare."

He's actively trying to undermine the region. We haven't a hope with that clown having the final word.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Just heard a clip from David Cullinane, just brushed the issue away and has not come out in support of the HQ in Waterford. Typical SF response to issues and shows David is no good for Waterdord like most other TDs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

I really just don't get why WIT is going ahead with the TUSE :confused: I know people have said here that politicians are forcing them into it so they can say they got a university. Still does not really full explain it to me.

Have a feeling the TUSE still won’t happen.

Useless , hopelessly undereducated politicians. Almost whimsically disinterested WIT leader just winding down to retirement. A local population who for the most part never have been and never will be inside a third level institute. It's happening and will happen because it can. WIT is ripe for such strip mining while nobody has any interest in protecting it, largely because they don't understand what it is or what will be lost.

Someone on Deise Today talked of 200m being required to bring about university standard institute in Waterford with 300m needed for Carlow. It may have been Ray Griffin.

If we got half we'd be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Useless , hopelessly undereducated politicians. Almost whimsically disinterested WIT leader just winding down to retirement. A local population who for the most part never have been and never will be inside a third level institute. It's happening and will happen because it can. WIT is ripe for such strip mining while nobody has any interest in protecting it, largely because they don't understand what it is or what will be lost.

I can understand these sentiments, but looking at boards threads/fora the only place in southeast with any interest in university status/designation is Waterford. That has been the situation for decades. There has not been a peep out of anyone else until this TUSE proposal emerged. The notion of Kilkenny is frankly ridiculous because as Dr. Ray Griffin said on WLR today, two thirds of the TUSE will be in Waterford on the day it comes into being. Were it to happen, it would be quite obvious that it is a rotten Fine Gael power play by Harris, probably prompted by a Fine Gael desire to harvest Dail seats.

Rather than complain about it, it would be good if everyone at least contacted local Oireachtas members.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭garyscargo

So Kilkenny, Carlow, Wexford, Wickford, Laois and Kildare are to be "included" in TUSE? That looks a lot like Leinster to me. Waterford is in Munster, last I checked, so maybe WIT should just become part of the new MTU instead (the TU legislation allows for IT-TU mergers already), and let the HQ be/stay in Cork (2nd biggest city, Cork IT was always a WIT peer, we're not getting HQ anyway so no shame on that front unlike a Carlow/KK HQ). MTU Waterford would remain distinct from MTU Cork/Kerry IMO by expanding MTU's catchment area significantly East, and we would need no "help" from our immediate "friends" and "neighbours" North or East either. Pressure would be put on Cork to repel any such advances from WIT, no doubt, but it would make MTU a very big player were WIT to become part of it. With a new external appointment as first president of MTU (Scottish?), maybe she would consider any such approach from WIT seriously and on its merits?

So, should WIT put forward an ultimatum: WIT as part of TUSE if the HQ is in Waterford, and part of MTU if not (in that case Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford and the rest can see about forming a Leinster TU or something. And/or go and consume a bag of Richards).

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Rustyman101

Waterford would be better off walking on this , leave KK & CW form their own uni....let's see how that works out ? KK/CW hotbeds of industry & research!

Or just go it alone. Last IT standing in the country. A moniker probably worth more than being a Mickey mouse "Technological University" that will have industry laughing into their sleeves when they see it on a degree.

Have a TUB (Tech. University for Bogmen ) based in Carlow / Kilkenny and they can have the time of it discussing and developing innovative procedures for cleaning cow**** off tractor wheels.

Or just go it alone. Last IT standing in the country. A moniker probably worth more than being a Mickey mouse "Technological University" that will have industry laughing into their sleeves when they see it on a degree.

Have a TUB (Tech. University for Bogmen ) based in Carlow / Kilkenny and they can have the time of it discussing and developing innovative procedures for cleaning cow**** off tractor wheels.

Problem is if WIT walked away they would face persecution from the Dept and they would cut funding back to the bone and WIT would become a second rate institute.Thats the reality of the situation , so backing out is never going to happen

• Advertisement

imacman wrote: »
    Problem is if WIT walked away they would face persecution from the Dept and they would cut funding back to the bone and WIT would become a second rate institute.Thats the reality of the situation , so backing out is never going to happen

Would they really though. I get the impression these kind of things are pushed through on the premise that (as does happen in Ireland to be fair) everyone will just grudgingly get on with it and go with the flow.

I don't think , that faced with real resistance as in just abjectly refusing to engage with such a silly idea, the dept or government would have a clue what to do and would likely backtrack pretty quickly.

In a lot of ways I envy the French. Faced with similar scenarios they wouldn't think twice of marching on Paris with less than polite intent. We haven't a spine shared between us here.

This has never caught the public like cardiac care. Understandable but it still matters.

I have to say I'm heartened by the reaction about the Kilkenny HQ.Even the suggestion of it has triggered a lot of Waterford people and I if they tried to push it through there would be protests and political consequences.I think there was some political kite flying going on here and the idea may already be a dead

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭spaceCreated

You would think Marc O Cathasaigh would be taking more a of a proactive role or at least be seen to be doing something given his voter base is probably on the younger side and concerned with having WIT being developed not carved up and funding diverted to the greater Dublin area. Ciara Conway ignored who voted her in and got destroyed... labour haven't had a look in since.

I'm wondering who does O Cathasaigh and the greens think will vote for them in Waterford if this goes wrong? I could see lot of Grace O Sullivan's votes being wiped out in this process as well. They could make Waterford a strong base for the next couple of decades instead it seems they're happy to do the opposite. Supporting the Government and saying its sitting on the sidelines isnt good enough here I'd imagine.

David Cullinane has a strong enough base you'd imagine.

Mary Butler's votes from West Waterford will go to West Waterford next time youd imagine so she should probabyl have a nice think about how shes going to get in if she doesnt get a massive transfer.

Matt Shanahan at least seems to be asking questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

You would think Marc O Cathasaigh would be taking more a of a proactive role or at least be seen to be doing something given his voter base is probably on the younger side and concerned with having WIT being developed not carved up and funding diverted to the greater Dublin area. Ciara Conway ignored who voted her in and got destroyed... labour haven't had a look in since.

Posted this on another thread....
    Wanderer78 wrote:
    The political left no longer truly represents its traditional base, the working class, particularly younger generations, this can be clearly seen with the greens. many green party supporters and members are actually doing well in life, older middle class, many in relatively secure employment and have other critical securities such housing and accommodation, I.e. they have very little connection with the world of their traditional base, I suspect a brake away group could be on the horizon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

I wrote to the 4 TD's and John Cummins about this before Christmas, only O'Cathasaigh, Butler and Cullinane replied.

O'Cathasaigh:
    Full university is a longer term project but confident we will get there
    Discussed expansion of current WIT campus with Minister
    Supports TUSE, as it may not be the university we want right now but we can turn it into it over time

Butler
    100% supportive of TUSE
    Attended every meeting
    Encouraged by the appointment of Tom Boland

Cullinane
    Agrees Waterford needs a standalone university of scale
    Sinn Féin will always support higher education in Waterford

O'Cathasaigh is the only one that gave a non-template answer in fairness to him, but I think he's being a little bit naive.

Butler's response genuinely worried me but I was hardly surprised.

Very disappointed with Cullinane, agrees Waterford needs a standalone university of scale but has done absolutely nothing to highlight this in the Dáil or try to halt the TUSE process....

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Butler
    100% supportive of TUSE
    Attended every meeting
    Encouraged by the appointment of Tom Boland

Butler's response genuinely worried me but I was hardly surprised.

Tom Boland, arch enemy of WIT and Mary Butler is "encouraged". What a silly woman. How in God's name did she ever get to be a TD?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Rustyman101

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Tom Boland, arch enemy of WIT and Mary Butler is "encouraged". What a silly woman. How in God's name did she ever get to be a TD?
    old school politics, my dad voted FF so I'll vote FF, more prevalent in rural areas, MM must be thrilled with her as well, toe the party line,no awkward questions asked ! every boss loves an employee like that !

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭spaceCreated

old school politics, my dad voted FF so I'll vote FF, more prevalent in rural areas, MM must be thrilled with her as well, toe the party line,no awkward questions asked ! every boss loves an employee like that !

Hes going to lose a seat in Waterford for the party with the way its going and how hes trying to buy votes in Cork. Mary Butler dropped from 10,603 in 2016 on first count to 6,644 in 2020. They might say Eddie Mulligan might have picked up some of her votes but she only got a transfer of around 1200 from him. That was while they were in opposition. Also I imagine her core vote is only aging and will she should return less as the years roll on.

There are 2 big issues in Waterford hospital and university neither of them being delivered or the existing conditions of them being improved in any way shape or form. All current signs are that the current TDs in Government are having zero effect on what is happening.

Was it Alan Kelly trying to pretend recently he wasnt responsible for preventing the implemention of the city boundary expansion? It should serve as a stark reminder how easily a party can get destroyed over a single term even if there isnt a very apparent vocal opposition or support to something.

• Advertisement

Even went along with FF over the boundary commission. Imagine directly going against the best interests of your county.

Advertisement