Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you Come by YOUR team

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Cheers, yeah I do watch as a neutral whenever I can but should have a lot more time this year to get more involved.

Probably looking for an up and coming team who are very offensive with a potentially brilliant QB. Plan to visit new York soon so maybe the giants? Man United fan also so are the Glazers involved with the NFL?

They own the Bucs I think (who are also an improving team) so that could be a good team for you to pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

They own the Bucs I think (who are also an improving team) so that could be a good team for you to pick.

Yeah the Glazers own the Bucs. They've just signed Josh McCown who will be 35 when the season starts. If they stick with Glennon then they will have an "up and coming QB" but there is a lot of rumours that McCown will start next year.

Bucs are a decent team and could turn it around and get to the Playoffs next year as I think the Saints and Panthers have taken a step back so far this off-season. But it's more then likely that the Falcons will be back next year and the division could be very competitive. The Bucs have some good talent and they have some good players like McCoy, Martin, Nicks, Goldson, Barron, Jackson and one of my favourite players last year Lavonte David.

I hope they keep Glennon and build for the future and Lovie Smith might be able to get more out of these guys than that other guy who attacked the QB kneel :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Cheers lads think il give the buccaneers a shot.

Going to get myself John Madden 13 and play a few seasons with them to try get to know the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Cheers lads think il give the buccaneers a shot.

Going to get myself John Madden 13 and play a few seasons with them to try get to know the players.

The latest one is Madden 25 (actually Madden 14 but named 25 for their anniversary). There's a lot of us who play in the Boards Madden league. If you're interested (the league is on Xbox) head over to the Madden forum for some games :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1541

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It was 1984 (so a google search confirms) and I had just started to watch the game on Channel 4. The underdog Seahawks were taking on reigning Superbowl champs, the (LA) Raiders in a wild card game. The fans had just adapted the Ghostbusters song to their own version, "Raiderbusters", and they went on to win. And they were my team after that. When the game went off terrestrial TV, I just checked their results now and again, and usually saw they weren't doing much.

I picked a good year to get Sky in! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I just missed out on the Channel 4 coverage because of age and awareness. We first got sky in around '95 and the first season I started watching seriously was the '99 season. The years always confuse because the Superbowl is played the following year. I mainly started watching a) because I'd watch any sport and b) it was a great reason to stay up late on Sunday nights and cry off school!

The first Superbowl I watched live was that season's. Ironically I was up for the Fisher coached Titans against the Rams as I loved the way Steve 'Air' McNair, RIP, played. That Titans offense was actually exciting and came up agonisingly short in the end. I didn't actually like Warner and the Rams at the time but I loved Warner and Fitzgerald at the Cardinals, go figure!

As an Irish man I'm genetically predisposed to like Boston teams so from then on I'd usually root for Brady and the Patriots but mainly I just fell in love with the game. There are actually very few NFL teams I don't like. I finally got to go to my first live game when the Patriots played the Rams in London.

I kinda went to see Brady and the Patriots but it was technically a Rams home game and as they were the team who gave up a home game to play in London I decided to support them for the day. Then on the first drive Sam hit Givens for a 50 yard TD and I thought 'let's go' but as I'm sure many on here are familiar with it was a false dawn and the Rams proceeded to put up a miserable display and get spanked by Brady and the Patriots.

My love for the game was growing though (watching the America's Game series is probably what got me hooked, brilliant viewing) and when I got the opportunity to do a semester abroad last year, I chose my landing spot by which NFL team it was easiest get a season ticket for. It's surprisingly easy to get a season ticket for the St Louis Rams ;)

I also picked them because I believe they have a very good young team with a lot of potential going forward. I also quite like hard hitting defense and the Rams and the NFC West is the place for this :p

I am not a huge fan of Fisher however as his game-plans are overly conservative with crazy trick plays thrown in to 'mix things up' (fake punt at Cowboys last year). I might not be a fan of Fisher but I am absolutely can't stand Schottenheimer from his time with Sanchez and the Jets to his constant dumping off of the ball at the line of scrimmage. People tell me Bradford has a big arm but he's never given the opportunity to show it. We actually looked a lot better when he was allowed to throw deep and picked up some penalties but it was all too rare.

This probably isn't the place to discuss it but I don't think there's a Rams thread. I am almost being convinced again that Sam is the future and people keep reciting his 14-4 TD/Int ratio before he went down hurt. But I've got to trust my own eyes and I just don't think he's the guy. He's skittish in the pocket probably due to being creamed as a rookie but to me he just doesn't have the heart or the leadership to lead an increasingly talented team to the playoffs. Kellen Clemens showed more heart in stepping up in the pocket when he came in for Sam.

I hope we can get a big bodied receiver in the second round tonight and Sam can prove me wrong this year but I strongly believe until Schottenheimer is jettisoned and the playbook opened up a little the Rams passing offense is doomed to being turgid and ineffective. But hey we got Robinson and Stacy so we're just going to run all over everybody! Let's go Rams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Matthew Stafford, being perfectly honest.

I knew nothing about NFL beforehand, except for the fact the Lions went 0-16 the season before drafting him. All the hype about his ability and, moreso, all the money he was getting led me to take an interest in how the Lions were performing when they drafted him, then I discovered the talent they had in Calvin Johnson from watching them. Watching this rookie who was on so much money got me properly into NFL and thus, here I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭crunchie44

first time poster on here but long time NFL fan

It was sometime in the 80's and my uncle and older brother were big into NFL. I started watching as neutral but after a season the bullied me into choosing a team. As I was only 7 or 8 I just wanted any team that was good. They informed me the Chicago Bears Were 1 of the best and I went with them. Needless to say the 90's and so on haven't been great but I stuck with them. I adopted Chicago as my city also rooting for the Bulls.

Times have been tough. I'd liken Da Bears to Liverpool. We love talking about how good we used to be and are nearly always the bridesmaid never the bride.

At least with the new coach last year got our offense going but pity our defence suffered injuries and also Cutler. Jeffrey and Marshall might just be the best WR partnership in nfl? Maybe I'm biased. With a good draft I'm hoping for playoffs but in a tough division we really need help in secondary in draft as facing Rodgers and Stafford 4 times a year can be tough. Fuller was good choice last night and hopefully add S or DT in 2nd round tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

As an Irish man I'm genetically predisposed to like Boston teams so from then on I'd usually root for Brady and the Patriots but mainly I just fell in love with the game.

I understand your affliction perfectly, now get your ass over to the Pats thread and join in.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

Been a Pats fan since the Drew Bledlsoe era and I always felt an affiliation with the Pats because of the Irish/Boston connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭not_quite_last

Got sky in around '04 for the soccer, and one evening when flicking around I stumbled across a Colts game. Watch a bit and got hooked on the way Manning controlled everything from the line of scrimmage to the crowd in the stadium. After that I learned more about the game and while a prefer a good defensive battle the Colts are my team - at least until the Mayflower trucks reappear and then who knows! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

My father was a big fan while living in Canada and continued watching it after he returned to Ireland he always watched it on a Sunday night on channel 4 and i began watching it with him(mid 80's i think) That was the first time i witnessed the Refrigerator playing for the Bears i thought he was a giant and have been a Bears fan since.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I just missed out on the Channel 4 coverage because of age and awareness. We first got sky in around '95 and the first season I started watching seriously was the '99 season. The years always confuse because the Superbowl is played the following year. I mainly started watching a) because I'd watch any sport and b) it was a great reason to stay up late on Sunday nights and cry off school!

The first Superbowl I watched live was that season's. Ironically I was up for the Fisher coached Titans against the Rams as I loved the way Steve 'Air' McNair, RIP, played. That Titans offense was actually exciting and came up agonisingly short in the end. I didn't actually like Warner and the Rams at the time but I loved Warner and Fitzgerald at the Cardinals, go figure!

As an Irish man I'm genetically predisposed to like Boston teams so from then on I'd usually root for Brady and the Patriots but mainly I just fell in love with the game. There are actually very few NFL teams I don't like. I finally got to go to my first live game when the Patriots played the Rams in London.

I kinda went to see Brady and the Patriots but it was technically a Rams home game and as they were the team who gave up a home game to play in London I decided to support them for the day. Then on the first drive Sam hit Givens for a 50 yard TD and I thought 'let's go' but as I'm sure many on here are familiar with it was a false dawn and the Rams proceeded to put up a miserable display and get spanked by Brady and the Patriots.

My love for the game was growing though (watching the America's Game series is probably what got me hooked, brilliant viewing) and when I got the opportunity to do a semester abroad last year, I chose my landing spot by which NFL team it was easiest get a season ticket for. It's surprisingly easy to get a season ticket for the St Louis Rams ;)

I also picked them because I believe they have a very good young team with a lot of potential going forward. I also quite like hard hitting defense and the Rams and the NFC West is the place for this :p

I am not a huge fan of Fisher however as his game-plans are overly conservative with crazy trick plays thrown in to 'mix things up' (fake punt at Cowboys last year). I might not be a fan of Fisher but I am absolutely can't stand Schottenheimer from his time with Sanchez and the Jets to his constant dumping off of the ball at the line of scrimmage. People tell me Bradford has a big arm but he's never given the opportunity to show it. We actually looked a lot better when he was allowed to throw deep and picked up some penalties but it was all too rare.

This probably isn't the place to discuss it but I don't think there's a Rams thread. I am almost being convinced again that Sam is the future and people keep reciting his 14-4 TD/Int ratio before he went down hurt. But I've got to trust my own eyes and I just don't think he's the guy. He's skittish in the pocket probably due to being creamed as a rookie but to me he just doesn't have the heart or the leadership to lead an increasingly talented team to the playoffs. Kellen Clemens showed more heart in stepping up in the pocket when he came in for Sam.

I hope we can get a big bodied receiver in the second round tonight and Sam can prove me wrong this year but I strongly believe until Schottenheimer is jettisoned and the playbook opened up a little the Rams passing offense is doomed to being turgid and ineffective. But hey we got Robinson and Stacy so we're just going to run all over everybody! Let's go Rams

Thought I was the only Ram in here, great to see I'm not alone! We need to set up a thread now. Decent draft, I think we could make some waves next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

keano_afc wrote: »
    Thought I was the only Ram in here, great to see I'm not alone! We need to set up a thread now. Decent draft, I think we could make some waves next season.

Yeah I thought there might be a few more Rams knocking around but I think we might need more than two to set up a thread.

Hope the draft works out, if you go back through the past drafts and the top picks you see how much of a lottery it is. It's largely educated guesswork.

The second round pick of Joyner has me slightly perplexed especially giving up a 5th to move up for him. Though I watched the press conference of Snead and Fisher after they drafted him and they were both really excited with a glint in their eye about him. I hope they're right!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Diarmuid1995

Just reading through, amazing how many people selected their team via madden games.
    I'm the same, little old eight or nine year old me was scrolling through the teams on madden 03 and I thought the panthers, just by their name sounded the best.
    Lost interest really till three or four years ago but would always keep an eye out for the panthers whenever nfl was on.
    So any other panthers fans here? Getting to think I'm one of very few

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭boccy23

Just reading through, amazing how many people selected their team via madden games.
    I'm the same, little old eight or nine year old me was scrolling through the teams on madden 03 and I thought the panthers, just by their name sounded the best.
    Lost interest really till three or four years ago but would always keep an eye out for the panthers whenever nfl was on.
    So any other panthers fans here? Getting to think I'm one of very few
    There isn't even that many in Carolina!! :D
    As Carolina was an expansion team, you won't find too many fans of them.
    But at least you are unique. Like following Ipswich!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Diarmuid1995

True would've thought the superbowl against the pats would've garnered at least a few bandwagon jumpers.
    Still, give cam, greg olsen, kelvin benjamin and luuuuuuke a few years and there will be panthers fans crawling out from everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Blue Shamrock

Only got into the sport last couple of years decided to pick the Vikings this year as I liked their logo :o and Adrian Peterson, regretting that decision now really hope they handle his case the right way now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Only got into the sport recently and haven't picked a team. I was born in New York, so perhaps Jets or Giants are the team for me but I dont have a massive connection to the city so may end up with an allegiance to another team. Dont want to be a glory hunter but after a lifetime of supporting Mayo GAA I want to support a team who have some chance of winning something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Only got into the sport recently and haven't picked a team. I was born in New York, so perhaps Jets or Giants are the team for me but I dont have a massive connection to the city so may end up with an allegiance to another team. Dont want to be a glory hunter but after a lifetime of supporting Mayo GAA I want to support a team who have some chance of winning something.

every team has some chance of winning teams regularly turn from worst to first in there division and often times the worst team in the league will end up in the playoffs the next year so thats not an issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Greenbay, fantastic attack/ one of the worst defences in the league despite having a complete stud or two, inept Dc. We either outscore you or get our qb killed trying to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Just watch some games and a team will take your fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

nerd69 wrote: »
    every team has some chance of winning teams regularly turn from worst to first in there division and often times the worst team in the league will end up in the playoffs the next year so thats not an issue

Many teams can turn it completely around but there are teams where it does not seem possible due to incompetent ownership/front office.

The likes of poor Cleveland and Oakland come to mind.

Do some research into how teams are run/who is in charge and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Many teams can turn it completely around but there are teams where it does not seem possible due to incompetent ownership/front office.

The likes of poor Cleveland and Oakland come to mind.

Do some research into how teams are run/who is in charge and go from there.

they will have there time the lions where the worst in the nfl for that until a few years ago following a team like that will only make the winning seasons all the sweeter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

nerd69 wrote: »
    they will have there time the lions where the worst in the nfl for that until a few years ago following a team like that will only make the winning seasons all the sweeter

Yeah they might (and I stress might) have a winning season some day but poorly managed teams will never reward a fan the way they should. Even the aforementioned Lions seemed seemed to be on their way after Millen but then they hired the nutcase that is Schwartz. I'm not convinced Caldwell has it either. On paper that team is/has been as talented as the top teams across the league the last 5 years say, but last time they won their division (nevermind go further) was 1993!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Welcome, as a fellow suffering Mayo supporter - how about the Green Bay Packers? Make a change from hating a team in Green and Gold all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

p38 wrote: »
    My father was a big fan while living in Canada and continued watching it after he returned to Ireland he always watched it on a Sunday night on channel 4 and i began watching it with him(mid 80's i think) That was the first time i witnessed the Refrigerator playing for the Bears i thought he was a giant and have been a Bears fan since.

I have vague recollections as a kid of knowing who the fridge was. Then I forgot about football until the mid 2000s. Watched the 2006 superbowl when Hester scored on the opening return, but didn't pay any more attention to football again till about 2010, when I started watching with the brother. Had a Chicago girlfriend, and loads of friends from Chicago who were all awesome, so just kind of decided it made sense. By the time I found out most of the "Chicago" people I knew were goddamned packers fans, I was completely hooked, it didn't feel like a decision anymore. When I saw them play the pack in 2012 on my first ever trip to America, I was already far past being helped. Daaa Bearssss.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

I'm a pretty recent convert to the game, the company I was working with has an office in Baltimore and I was reliably informed by some of my American co-workers that if I chose anyone but the Ravens as my team then bad things would start happening to me. It's as good a way to pick a team as any I suppose

Advertisement