Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you Come by YOUR team

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

First time posting here...spent a summer in Boston and have relations in Philly so kinda torn between pats and the eagles! Going to stick with eagles from now on tho!!

You're a brave man. Or foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

The first city I visited in the States was San Fran and I loved it. Met some very passionate 49er and Giants fans. Ever since then, the Niners have been my team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Nope, it's an Irish thing. Boston is the Irish capital of America. Many of us have family & work ties there ect. And if you read most of the Pats fans posts in this thread, you would see most of us were fans, long, long before sustained success ever came. Since 1983 in my case.

I was in boston a few years ago for the summer visiting friends and actually got a pats jersey think it was cotes or coats name on the back havent a clue tbh but never really followed nfl at the time its only last couple of years ive started following the redskins who i used to like as a young fella (when they were good):D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I was in boston a few years ago for the summer visiting friends and actually got a pats jersey think it was cotes or coats name on the back havent a clue tbh but never really followed nfl at the time its only last couple of years ive started following the redskins who i used to like as a young fella (when they were good):D

Ben Coates perhaps?

http://www.patriots.com/team/roster/ben-coates/d3159e0c-8483-464e-b8de-cf66abe23c24

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

shamrock55 wrote: »

That would be a Ben Coates jersey. One of the best ever TE's to play the game. He was a multiple All Pro and Pro Bowler as a Patriot and he set the bar during the Nineties for the modern TE's we see today.
    Leslie91 wrote: »
    Ben Coates perhaps?

That's the guy alright.

• Advertisement

That would be a Ben Coates jersey. One of the best ever TE's to play the game. He was a multiple All Pro and Pro Bowler as a Patriot and he set the bar during the Nineties for the modern TE's we see today.

That's the guy alright.

Yea thats my man it was a really nice jersey too, i need to get my hands on a rglll jersey now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gerrard Cup

Father went on a business trip to Cincinnati a couple of years of ago and for my sins Iv become a big Bengals fan. Not many of us around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Father went on a business trip to Cincinnati a couple of years of ago and for my sins Iv become a big Bengals fan. Not many of us around.

Well, I suppose you can be thankfull that meeting wasn't in Cleveland!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bellington9

I never really followed any team as such but a friend of mine is a big Steelers fan, we were watching a game where Pittsburgh were playing Seattle(before the Superbowl) and just for the banter i started shouting for the Seahawks and iv been a Seadderall fan ever since!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Have family living in Jersey and ever year they would come home for xmas, and every year without fail i would be given some sort Jets paraphernalia. this song sums it up perfectly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aha_sender

Went to philly years ago have so am an eagles fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Figure this is as good a place as any to start posting in this forum..

I married into my team, along with the sport itself - Mrs. Raphael is from the States, so when she started to educate me on the sport we watch now, I was also educated on who I was supposed to root for (Redskins, with a side order of Steelers).

I had a halfhearted interest up until the end of last year (stayed up for the superbowl, basically) but when we were visiting her family over Christmas I ended up watching a lot of football. Seeing RG3s injury in a bar in Dulles airport and crying out in horror along with everyone else there (bar a small table of nervous seahawks fans) was the point I realised I was hooked.

Raphael wrote: »
    Figure this is as good a place as any to start posting in this forum..

I married into my team, along with the sport itself - Mrs. Raphael is from the States, so when she started to educate me on the sport we watch now, I was also educated on who I was supposed to root for (Redskins, with a side order of Steelers).

I had a halfhearted interest up until the end of last year (stayed up for the superbowl, basically) but when we were visiting her family over Christmas I ended up watching a lot of football. Seeing RG3s injury in a bar in Dulles airport and crying out in horror along with everyone else there (bar a small table of nervous seahawks fans) was the point I realised I was hooked.

Ah, another redskin good to see, like you i only had a half hearted interest till last year really but this forum is a good way to get more educated on all things nfl,
    There is a redskins thread too if you want to contribute to that:D HTTR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Well, I suppose you can be thankfull that meeting wasn't in Cleveland!

Are there any Browns fans? Like, in real life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

BKWDR wrote: »

When I was in school back in the late 80s/early 90s we had a Browns fan in our class. It was back in the Bernie Kosar days (and I think Webster Slaughter as well) and they were in and around playoff contention most years

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

Ahoy there,
    3 of us on this forum according to the last time the teams/fans list was posted (myself included).

Tough times. Posted up how I ended up following them earlier on in the thread. .....pretty unlucky :pac:

3rd season now, got a TR33 jersey last season, hoping for some sort of improvement this year (unlikely)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

I picked my team on a whim. I walked into the house to find my Dad and brother watching the start of this "American Superbowl thing" on Channel 4.
    "Who are you up for?" I asked the bro. "The 49ers" he said. "The whaaa?" I said. "San Francisco" he said.
    "Right so", I said, "I'll support the other crowd. Who are they?"
    "Miami" he said.
    "They'll do", I said, "It's warm there"

3 decades of frustration later, and I still live in hope.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I've been thinking about this a lot over the last while.

When i originally got into NFL (long time ago) it was due to going by the Seahawks stadium, however I drifted away from NFL a bit and when i got back into it it was due to playing Madden and I took the Titans and have been following them ever since.

In October I will see both teams play each other, but i will be cheering for the Titans.. in Seattle!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Back when RTE were showing it I just took to the bears - Ironically I was on J1 visa in Chicago, landed in Chicago the night before MJ won his & the bulls last title. Living near Wrigley field so the cubs - got to see the Bears opening game of the season that year at home to the Jaguars, and funnily enough had a NHL game where I took the blackhawks under my wing every before I went to the states... So you'd swear I was from Chicago but mostly coincidence:
    NFL : Bears
    NBA : Bulls
    MLB : Cubs (for my sins!!!) (I keep an eye on the mets results as well)
    NHL : Blackhawks...

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭TheBrewMeister

That's hurtful. The Browns were once a powerhouse in the NFL. Not to mention, they're a team from a town with proud Irish roots.

Browns fans are the best in the NFL. Our Day Will Come!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

Always had a casual interest in the game,but I never really followed it or even understood a lot of it until I started playing Madden. It was the one with Polamalu and Larry Fitz on the cover, think it was 09 or 10. From then on I was hooked. For a while I didn't follow one particular team, I was watching a lot of football and doing some reading on teams history etc. trying to find a team that I liked to watch and that had a philosophy or ethos that I could identify with aswell. Always had a soft spot for the Hawks and when wtching the 2011 playoffs and Lynch had his famous Beast Mode run, I sort of knew I had my team. He's still my favourite player and I still find myself watching the video of the run sometimes.

That season was the first time the now elite secondary unit came together aswell. I suppose in a way I've been fortunate to follow the team in the last couple of years, as they've assembled a great team and have been going well. I know that there will probably be some bad days aswell, but I have my team and I'll stick by them! Oh yeah, Russell Wilson and Sherman are giving Lynch a run for his money as my favourite player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

I too am a Seattle fan. Their brand of hard nosed defence and off the cuff offence has really impressed me last season and into this season. Unlike many on this forum I am divorced from a previous NFL team, the New York Giants. Whilst it was great to be part of beating the Pats in two superbowls and the excitement that followed I started to develop strong feelings for the boys up in the Pacific North West. Now having endured a difficult Summer, myself and the Hawks have moved a step forward in our relationship and have left the past where it belongs in the PAST. However, I will continue to be supportive of my previous team the New York Giants and wish them all the best in their season ahead.

I am hoping the Hawks fly in under the radar this season!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I too am a Seattle fan. Their brand of hard nosed defence and off the cuff offence has really impressed me last season and into this season. Unlike many on this forum I am divorced from a previous NFL team, the New York Giants. Whilst it was great to be part of beating the Pats in two superbowls and the excitement that followed I started to develop strong feelings for the boys up in the Pacific North West. Now having endured a difficult Summer, myself and the Hawks have moved a step forward in our relationship and have left the past where it belongs in the PAST. However, I will continue to be supportive of my previous team the New York Giants and wish them all the best in their season ahead.

I am hoping the Hawks fly in under the radar this season!

Just me and each to their own but I don't like switching teams. if you like a team, you need to stick with them through the bad times as well as the good. Unless of course you're only getting into a sport and you pick a team too quickly but then realise they're not for you. But you said you were with the Giants for their 2 Superbowl wins so again, it's just the way I work but I don't like hopping between supporting different teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Can't wait until the day comes that the Bears win it all. Might be this year, next year or in 10 years but it'll feel much better having survived the Jerry Angelo/Jauron/Lovie years.

Jumping from winner to winner is bizarre, but whatever floats your boat..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

Oat23 wrote: »

Seattle have not won any Superbowl recently as far as I am aware. Also separation happens in real life among relationships, no fault to the pair involved but people and circumstances change. I guess people on here are too high and mighty to end relationships because its jumping from boat to boat. Is everyone here married to their sweet sixteen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Women come and go; but your team will always be your team.

Nobody here is going to judge you, but equally you're not going to find too many people who understand it.

You can try compare it to relationships, but it's not the same thing. And even if it was, you've just done the equivalent of ditching your wife of 30 years for the 19 year old nanny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Seattle have not won any Superbowl recently as far as I am aware. Also separation happens in real life among relationships, no fault to the pair involved but people and circumstances change. I guess people on here are too high and mighty to end relationships because its jumping from boat to boat. Is everyone here married to their sweet sixteen?

Ah here relationships between people and the relationship or support of a sports team cannot be compared at all. Nothing a like. I find it sad to be honest that you are trying to make the comparison between the two. And saying people are too high and mighty because they don't share your point of view isn't really a good way of trying to get people to share your view either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Went on a J1 to Denver this summer (first time in USA). Loved the place and have come home a Broncos fan. Really wanted to head to a pre-season game over there but unfortunately it never happened. Very impressed with the performances so far this season however!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Shocking...

I was a Seahawks fan when i was in my early teens (and they were awful) as I passed by the stadium, but once I returned to the NFL its been the Titans and always will be SB or no SB (and lets be realistic :o)

Frankly nothing is better than watching your team bounce back from a poor season (as the Titans seem to be doing now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Oat23 wrote: »

I see the Oxford English dictionary has entered its latest word - 'Woodchopper'

Use: "He's done a Woodchopper."
    Meaning: Where one suddenly abandons the team they've always followed, to follow the latest in form & trending team.

Other use: "Ah feck, he's a real Woodchopper."
    Meaning:To be a traitor, a turncoat, or a sunshine supporter.

Origins of the word 'Woodchopper': Precise details are unclear, but legend has there was once a tree logger know as Woodchopper, who loved a team of footballing Giants from New York. When theses said Giants were going through a wee rough patch. The Woodchopper abandoned them, in favour of another team of lesser men. But some say he fell in love with a team of birds and as a hetrosexual man, who could blame him.

Advertisement