Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you Come by YOUR team

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I see the Oxford English dictionary has entered its latest word - 'Woodchopper'

Use: "He's done a Woodchopper."
    Meaning: Where one suddenly abandons the team they've always followed, to follow the latest in form & trending team.

Other use: "Ah feck, he's a real Woodchopper."
    Meaning:To be a traitor, a turncoat, or a sunshine supporter.

Origins of the word 'Woodchopper': Precise details are unclear, but legend has there was once a tree logger know as Woodchopper, who loved a team of footballing Giants from New York. When theses said Giants were going through a wee rough patch. The Woodchopper abandoned them, in favour of another team of lesser men. But some say he fell in love with a team of birds and as a hetrosexual man, who could blame him.

Also the idiom: "chopping the wood". Definition: the act of jumping from one bandwagon to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭TheBrewMeister

"Woodchopping" is rampant in the States. Sad it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭youngco87

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOCFjR8MC7c

This is how I came to support the Ravens! First ever proper game I sat down to watch the whole way through!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Jumping from one team to another because your original team is going through a bad patch is just crazy, i can safely say that most lads teams on here have gone through a rocky patch or two,but its the hopeing and waiting for the good run that makes following any team exciting,like my team the redskins now we have had a fairly abismal couple of DECADES for crying out loud,but when we won the nfc east last year and the run they went on,it makes following them worth it, if your current team hasnt won anything for a long period, when they do be it this year or next or ten years time it makes it extra special thats why you gotta stick with it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Particularly in the NFL, where dynasties are so rare. You'll be jumping ship more often than Francesco Schettino.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Barny_Army

I started supporting the saints in 2006 when Reggie bush was drafted. i didnt want to support one of the better teams so decided for whoever drafted bush as he was supposedly a game changer. He turned out to be pretty average while at the saints and has improved as he left the last couple of seasons. One superbowl in the seven years is not bad but i still think this team has a couple of deep playoff runs in them. I still love watching brees and he still goes to show without the height, speed and only average arm strength the most important thing for a QB is whats between the ears.

Think they can do big things this year with a much better/younger defence and an offence second to none!!!!!!!! (Well maybe denver)

That changing teams thing is interesting, is it so bad?

Maybe it depends how you selected the team first day. I mean, if it was classic stick pin in a list or liked their colours stuff well is there any harm in changing? On the other hand, if there is some affinity, maybe living in the city or having family there, I think it becomes a bit more important. And then once that link is made, I think it deepens. My Godmother lives in Green Bay so they were inflicted on me, and I mean that cos back in the mid 80s everyone liked the Bears and I got stuck with this team that played in mud, wore a pretty gross strip, and were terrible. But because I had a link, it never crossed my mind to change. Mind you, I like to think that if I had no connection to Green Bay and by chance I started following the Bears, I'd have wised up by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SimmerDean

I don't like the idea of changing teams either. Your team can't be that bad.....right? http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6920045/is-it-time-to-break-up-with-your-football-team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Close one. Woodchopper was nearly becoming a Texans fan there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Became a Rams fan back in 99 during the Warner years and the Greatest Show on Turf. Lean times at the moment but I wouldnt think about changing team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

keano_afc wrote: »
    Became a Rams fan back in 99 during the Warner years and the Greatest Show on Turf. Lean times at the moment but I wouldnt think about changing team.

Maybe you should set up a Rams team thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭carmanard

Realised I haven't posted in here yet, shocking omission on my part I guess... For my sins, I'm another Chargers fan, I'm a sucker for punishment I guess (for example, I'm a Leeds United fan too :/) The 1994 Superbowl run was where I really caught the Chargers bug, Junior Seau was utterly immense, I stayed up that night watching it, the 49ers were ridiculously good that evening but I was confident that the Chargers would come back stronger next year and be a force to be reckoned with for years to come. The foolishness of youth :) Still, I was glad to be a Chargers fan even through the relative mediocrity when we had L.T. in our ranks, one of the all time greats imho... Unlike some fans, I've no real hatred of other teams, though for irrational and basically inexplicable reasons I don't like the Steelers or the Saints... And also, if it's permissible, I have a fondness for the Panthers as my NFC team, again further evidence of me being a sucker for punishment!!!

Poor old junior Junior Seau, Mr. Charger himself. Us Pats only had him for a couple of years :(. A fan favourite, the guy left a lasting impression wherever he played.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

I've been a Saints fan since Mike Ditka took over for the 1997 season and I've been marching in ever since. Surprised to see how little to no Saints fans there seems to be in this forum.:(

Resurrecting this thread because I've noticed a few new users posting in the forum. They are probably not aware of this thread and it would be nice if they popped in here and gave a shout out to their team, the why and how long they've supported them.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83

First saw the NFL on C4 back in the late 80s early 90s. Really loved watching the likes of Joe Montana and Jerry Rice. At that stage I still hadn't committed to supporting any team.

Then while I was in London on holidays I was looking around the markets for a new cap. Saw a red 49ers cap which I bought straight away and from then on they were my team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Spent many years listening to the NFL games on the radio via the " Army Forces Network " on the old medium wave ;)

My very first Superbowl was far back as
    January 26, 1986 Chicago Bears V New England .

My 3rd son (aged 3) at the time had broken his femur bone and i brought the Portable ( 14" B&W ) into the ward and stayed over night with him watching the game on with headphones lol

Must give honourable to one of my other sons Jason , whos up watching this superbowl ( 2014 ) he is hooked for years now ;) His team are North Caroilna .

So yea , it was hell explaining the rules and how a game lasts 4 hours :eek::D

Enjoy everyone :p:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Been supporting New Orleans Saints since 2002. Friend introduced me to the game and have a lot of relative in NO so it just stuck.

Would never change it either. Brees has given me a lot of years of fantastic memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

First got into NFL during the 2009 play-offs. Decided on a whim that The Vikings were the team for me. It's been as glamorous and glorious as I dreamt it would.

I usually lose interest during the middle of the season before coming back for the playoffs etc. Hopefully posting here will keep me better involved next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Dallas Cowboys for me , America's Team.

• Advertisement

Been supporting New Orleans Saints since 2002. Friend introduced me to the game and have a lot of relative in NO so it just stuck.

Would never change it either. Brees has given me a lot of years of fantastic memories.

Yipee, another Saints fan in the forum and I thought I was the only one.

Forgot to mention there is a Saints team thread you know. so maybe we should put some life into it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hells Kitchen

Colts fan here. Had a casual interest for a few years and then moved abroad where I became friendly with a few Americans who were big into football. Ended up moving to Indianapolis a couple of years ago and now I'm hooked. Ironically even before moving to Indy I always liked the colts but I was more a peyton manning fan than a colts fan. I've been to two Colts games one of which was the playoff win over the Chiefs this year. Hoping to get to a Notre Dame game this year as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

Have some family links with Philadelphia, grandfather was born there, a few other relatives moved there as well, great-great aunts and the like. Been following since 2001

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DJDisk

I'm looking to support the Texans because they haven't won a SB yet and when they do i can say i was there from the start Any feedback on the Texans i'd like to hear your opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

They have JJ watt..........go texans?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭nerd69

DJDisk wrote: »
    I'm looking to support the Texans because they haven't won a SB yet and when they do i can say i was there from the start Any feedback on the Texans i'd like to hear your opinions?

probably the most talented team in history to finish with the worst record i had them as a playoff team last year and i will again this year id definitely stick with them if i was you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Lads I'm looking to follow a team next season, any recommendations?

Preferably a team with a realistic chance of winning a few games!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Lads I'm looking to follow a team next season, any recommendations?

Preferably a team with a realistic chance of winning a few games!

Honestly mate, it's better to just watch as a neutral at the start and then eventually a team will jump out at you.

We will be able to give you some recommendations though and you can read up on the teams, perhaps you will find one that way.

You say you'd like a team that has a chance of winning, but do you prefer flashy offense or hard-hitting defense? Do you prefer a team with a rich history or does that matter to you? What sort of players do you like - flash, in your face types, or more reserved guys? Are there any places in America you visit or would like to visit in the future (picking a team in the location of such places may help spike your interest)?

The NFL have also produced a 'team picker' which may be of use to you:

http://www.nfl-360.com/pick-team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Paully D wrote: »
    Honestly mate, it's better to just watch as a neutral at the start and then eventually a team will jump out at you.

We will be able to give you some recommendations though and you can read up on the teams, perhaps you will find one that way.

You say you'd like a team that has a chance of winning, but do you prefer flashy offense or hard-hitting defense? Do you prefer a team with a rich history or does that matter to you? What sort of players do you like - flash, in your face types, or more reserved guys? Are there any places in America you visit or would like to visit in the future (picking a team in the location of such places may help spike your interest)?

The NFL have also produced a 'team picker' which may be of use to you:

http://www.nfl-360.com/pick-team

Cheers, yeah I do watch as a neutral whenever I can but should have a lot more time this year to get more involved.

Probably looking for an up and coming team who are very offensive with a potentially brilliant QB. Plan to visit new York soon so maybe the giants? Man United fan also so are the Glazers involved with the NFL?

Advertisement