Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you Come by YOUR team

Options
  • 22-09-2008 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭

As an Irishman, i am very far removed from America, as, I would imagine, amny of the posters on this site are. Thus, I was wondering what attracted you to your team of choice ?

For me, I made a resolution that I would only watch the game as a neutral until I hit the USA for myself, and the first city I frequented, I would support that team.

It was by fluke, not by design that I first ended up in Dallas, Texas, where the people are football mad. I had a stoppver in Chicago O Hare, however, that didnt count as "frequenting the city". Hence, I selected the Cowboys, and have never looked back.

As a fan of the West Ham United, Dublin GAA Team, the P.Ds, and a devotee of Metallica since Load/Reload, one would have to think I just like taking punishment. I felt such a sense of loss when the NYG knocked the Cowboys out of the playoffs last year, and when Romo screw up in 2007.

How did YOU settle on YOUR team ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

First got into the game through Channel 4's Saturday morning highlights show with Gary Imlach. Used to watch it religously.

Took a while to pick a team but eventually I settled on the Chiefs. No idea why really, especially considering they wear the same colours as Man United and had a quarterback called Bono! I did really like Marcus Allen, Steve Bono and Derrick Thomas (R.I.P.). We won the division title in 1995 going 13-3 and that was my first real season following them (I was 10 at the time). Tony Gonzalez joined in 1997 and he's been my favourite player ever since.

Gutted I missed the Montana years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,130 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Bought Madden 99 on the playstation. Went to Franchise mode and picked the Jets. Ended up playing 15 or so seasons and when I'd get to see or hear anything about the NFL I'd look out for the Jets.

And from there it became easy - as I had no problems rooting for athletes like Testraverde, Martin, Chrebet, Lewis and later Coles and Pennington. Upon reading up more on the team's traditional fanbase and catchment area - and then their history (Nameth and unbelievable draft gaffes) I just got into the whole thing.

I guess I'm an idiot - or at the very least a glutton for punishment. Given that I've got plenty of pain to look forward to in pursuit of Liverpool, UCD and the Irish National team - I should have gone for some money teams when getting into American football. Instead I plumped for the Jets and Notre Dame.

lol :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I thought I was the only one to pick a team because of Madden! I suppose not.

I'm new to this whole thing. I got into football after last year's Superbowl, which is probably as good an introduction as you can ask for. However, being the contrary person I am, I was rooting for the Patriots in the final, just because I liked the idea of watching a perfect team finish a perfect season. I didn't want to be a Patriots fan though after I got into it, because that's cheating if you have no reason other than that they were the best.

I ended up getting a second hand copy of Madden 03 in Gamestop, for the PS2 (because I couldn't afford 08 for the XBox at the time, and it was off-season, and I was starting to get addicted). I was terrible, obviously, because I didn't know the rules really, so I picked the best team, the St. Louis Rams. I ended doing five or six years.

I saw that they were 3-13 last year, but I thought that with Jackson, Holt and Bulger they'd have to do better this year. Having played the schedule on Madden 09, and having seen the Fins beat the Pats, I think we'd be lucky to win a game at all this year. But I don't care. I got a Marshall Faulk 28 jersey off eBay and I watch the videos of the glory days on NFL.com. They'll come again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

18 years ago I was given a Redskins jersey by my uncle. I was wearing this jersey in Kerry on holiday the same year and this guy came up and told my family when im older i should play american football so being a kid in to sports i started watching the game. First redskins game i watched was Pats Skins and i fell in love with the Patriots logo and uniform and oddly enough the fact they were called the New England Patriots low and behold the Redskins jersey was never worn again haha

Karlusss wrote: »
    They'll come again.

That will forever be the magic of the NFL - you are always just a couple of good drafts and Free Agency periods away from competing again!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,268 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

ATM I don't support any 1 NFL team, i do root for the giants (cos i saw them last year) and the raiders (cos i have an old jerry rice jersey...)

For college football, i am a Florida Gators man, purely because one of the first college games i saw was 2 years ago, and the gators faked a punt and got the first down. Watched them ever since... (Also i have a man crush on tim tebow...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

By watching NFL on RTE way back in the 1980's. I started following John Elway & his bucking Broncos. It then went off RTE and I then tried to listen to commentary on the radio, medium wave, with very bad reception..... & now I have Sky with its red button & 6 games a week & multiple highlights/review programs & also the Internet !!!!! doh !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Karlusss wrote: »
    I thought I was the only one to pick a team because of Madden! I suppose not.

I'm new to this whole thing. I got into football after last year's Superbowl, which is probably as good an introduction as you can ask for. However, being the contrary person I am, I was rooting for the Patriots in the final, just because I liked the idea of watching a perfect team finish a perfect season. I didn't want to be a Patriots fan though after I got into it, because that's cheating if you have no reason other than that they were the best.

I ended up getting a second hand copy of Madden 03 in Gamestop, for the PS2 (because I couldn't afford 08 for the XBox at the time, and it was off-season, and I was starting to get addicted). I was terrible, obviously, because I didn't know the rules really, so I picked the best team, the St. Louis Rams. I ended doing five or six years.

I saw that they were 3-13 last year, but I thought that with Jackson, Holt and Bulger they'd have to do better this year. Having played the schedule on Madden 09, and having seen the Fins beat the Pats, I think we'd be lucky to win a game at all this year. But I don't care. I got a Marshall Faulk 28 jersey off eBay and I watch the videos of the glory days on NFL.com. They'll come again.

Afraid I'm a fan of the Rams cos of Madden also - Madden 05 though... Yeah they do have some class attacking players as you mentioned but think they gotta learn how to protect the QB first before they'll be able to use them decently.

Faulk was a legend. Bulger is good too just not too agile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

I remember that highlights show on C4 presented by Gary Imlach that i used to watch as a kid. My dad bought me the Superbowl preview magazine and let me stay up late to watch the game and from there the Bears destroyed the Patriots and i've been a fan of the Bears since (little did i know that was as good as it got for them)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Don't follow any particular team really but being a fan of perennial underwhelmers I probably care most about the Cardinals and Lions. One day soon....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Girlfriend hails from Indianapolis. She hates Sport's, but it was an easy choice for me (seeing as they were good at the time LOL). I suppose it's as good a reason as there is for being a supporter of any foreign sport's team.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I remember following the game in the mid eighties and I liked the 49ers, the Bears and Packers. Then I seen the Patriots and Steve Grogan as quarterback. I like them as well, and was shouting for them when they got hammered in '85 by that legendary Bears team which included Payton, Jim McMahon and the rookie 'Refrigerator' Perry. I was hooked on the game from that time on, and followed it religiously without still supporting any one team. I was a fan of players, quarterbacks in the early days, like Marino, Kelly, Elway, Grogan and Joe Montana.
    I lived in the USA for a good part of the nineties and mainly in Boston. I met a friend of a relative over there, a multi-millionaire businessman who had four season tickets for the Patriots. He used to bring fellow businessmen and friends to one game a season. He brought me to a game in late '94 against the Vikings which I'll never forget, and we won. I knew a lot about the game and I was roaring my head off at every decision against the Patriots, he brought me to two more games and then gave me the ticket for the rest of the season.
    I bought my own ticket the next season through him and from then on was firmly a Pats fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

madden '03 i think for me.was 14 at the time and only starting to branch off into american sports and the likes.anyways i closed my eyes and just started moving through the teams and ended up landing on the Jaguars.after that i just got into checking all the results and of course i knew all the jags players from madden so they just sorta became my team.at least i got a good team out of the random madden experience.

Jaguars for Superbowl after the great 23-21 win last night over the Colts :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I was in stephens green shopping centre in the american sports shop when I was about 10 and need to buy a hat so I just picked an LA Raiders one. I doubt I even knew what/who they were but when I found out and watched NFL I stuck with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I'm originally from NJ and it seems I was just born a Giants fan. My brother was a Cowboys fan so that made things interesting at home twice every season. He got into the Cowboys during the 70s when they won a Super Bowl or two. Since he moved to Boston he became a Patriots fan so I made him a "beer bet" over SB XLII. It was Sam Adams vs Guinness and I thoroughly enjoyed that case of Sam Adams Summer Brew. I shared some of it and gave my brother a consolation prize of a small can of Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

New York Giants since about 1995...

Had the original Madden on the Sega Megadrive. Loved playing with the Giants and I liked New York... Watched the channel 4 shows when they were on and started supporting the Giants then.

Did my J1 in NYC and have spent a lot of time there since, so it was really an easy choice :-)

I spend a lot of time with work in the US, in Philadelphia in particular, so I look out for the Eagles scores. Like to see them do well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

This makes me look like a right sap but the main guy in my favoutite tv show(king of queens) followed the Jets and i took it from there to find out more about them.
    Been to see the Jets 4 times since and met the actor(Kevin James)there once and he was a cool guy.

Im some sad bas##rd:D

raven136 wrote: »
    This makes me look like a right sap but the main guy in my favoutite tv show(king of queens) followed the Jets and i took it from there to find out more about them.
    Been to see the Jets 4 times since and met the actor(Kevin James)there once and he was a cool guy.

lol - that is as good a reason as any imo!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

My Dads cousin came over to visit from philly and he brought me an Eagles T-shirt. He also had a video of a few eagles games. Randall, Reggie and Jerome... how could I not love them!?!?

I'll stand by my belief that had Jerome Brown not tragically died he would have been the greatest DT that ever played the game. The guy was simply unblockable at times. He had the moves of Reggie with the run stuffing ability of a Sam Adams. What a player he could have been...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

raven136 wrote: »

It's cool that you've been a couple of times to see them. My only trips to Indy have been off-season; I'm a lifelong Man United supporter and have enough trouble getting to see them, nevermind a 16 game season 4,000 miles away. But when the green card arrives I'll get a season-ticket, Lol :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Wow I had everyone pegged for Pats fans, I don't know why. This is a great thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I watched a few Pittsburgh games the first season when i was getting into NFL, liked em, bought me a jersey and that was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Minnesota Vikings - first ever NFL game I sat through start to finish - they lost the game so I went with them, not wanting to follow the "winning" team. The other team was the Bills. Think I came out OK in that one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I'm a student at USC, a NCAA Division I team, and just about everyone on campus is crazy about our Trojan football team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Prefabsprouter

Ok, well I confess that I started watching the NFL in 1984 and one of the first games I saw was the Raiders against the the Cowboays. Liked both of them at the time (I was 12 after all!) and sent away to join the fan clubs. Los Angeles (now Oakland) were the ones who got back so I started supporting them. And its become a bit of an obsession now. I've 3 Fantasy Football teams and though I dont have Sky, I always tune into KSFO96 on the web to listen to the Raiders Games. Tom Flores (the ex-head coach) does the commentary.

Used to play Left Tackle back in 1986 with a team called the Drimnagh Pirates (god we were awful but we loved it!!)

Still love all aspects of the game too. Its funny but being Irish you can tend to look at the NFL with a more neutral eye. For example, my all-time favourite QB would be John Elway (anyone who has seen "the Drive" will know what I mean!!). Ask any Oakland resident if they like Elway and they will probably spit at you!!!! So its nice to be able to follow it "from a distance"!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭TITAN #1

Have to agree that this is a really good thread.

Followed the Raiders from the glory days of Plunkett,Allen,Long and Alzado.

I picked up them because they had a lot of narrow victories on the way to the SuperBowl and I liked the logo and the Silver and Black.

TITAN #1 wrote: »
    Have to agree that this is a really good thread.

Followed the Raiders from the glory days of Plunkett,Allen,Long and Alzado.

I picked up them because they had a lot of narrow victories on the way to the SuperBowl and I liked the logo and the Silver and Black.
    Ah those were the days Titan!! Marcus Allen, what a Running back and whilst Plunkett was never the most elegant of players, boy did he know how to win. I'd also include Lester Hayes and Mike Haynes in that list. Best pair of cornerbacks to play for the Raiders!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Anyone who's old enough might remember a show called the Superstars from the late 70s, early 80s. The first American footballer I came across was a majestic athlete called James Lofton. He won the 100m, half mile, weighlifting and obstacle course. He was in the same heat as our own Eamonn Coghlan. In 1978 he won the NCAA 100m, 200m and Long Jump, the same year he was drafted by the Green Bay Packers. The Packers wear Green and Gold and play in the smallest city in pro sports in North America. What was not to like? So I've been following the Packers since 1982!

Godmother from Green Bay, so used to send me over teeshirts and annuals and the like back in the 80s. Got an autograph from Greg Koch who spent 8 years with the Packers then went to the Dolphins and then Vikings somewhere in the attic.

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Anyone who's old enough might remember a show called the Superstars from the late 70s, early 80s. The first American footballer I came across was a majestic athlete called James Lofton. He won the 100m, half mile, weighlifting and obstacle course. He was in the same heat as our own Eamonn Coghlan. In 1978 he won the NCAA 100m, 200m and Long Jump, the same year he was drafted by the Green Bay Packers. The Packers wear Green and Gold and play in the smallest city in pro sports in North America. What was not to like? So I've been following the Packers since 1982!
    James Lofton, the future coach of the Oakland Raiders, if the media are to be believed! A great receiver too.

Advertisement