Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musician Inc closing down?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

fresh underwear please...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

My main gripe with Irish music stores has always been the ridiculous over pricing.

I was in Guitar Centre in LA last week, picked up a BOSS DS-1 for $39 (listed at 79 EURO on the Musician site), 10 packs of D'addario strings for $30 (that's about 2 euro a set for the same set that cost me 8.99 or so in Dublin), and a Rhodes NT-1 vocal mic for something like $150.

Even before the recent devaluing of the dollar the price difference was still ridiculous. 2 years ago I picked up a brand new left handed Mexican Strat for $359, that would retail here for at least twice that.

It would be great if the new increased space means more buying power to bring prices within reasonable limits, otherwise I'll have to keep importing...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Rigsby

the corpo wrote: »
    My main gripe with Irish music stores has always been the ridiculous over pricing.

I was in Guitar Centre in LA last week, picked up a BOSS DS-1 for $39 (listed at 79 EURO on the Musician site), 10 packs of D'addario strings for $30 (that's about 2 euro a set for the same set that cost me 8.99 or so in Dublin), and a Rhodes NT-1 vocal mic for something like $150.

Even before the recent devaluing of the dollar the price difference was still ridiculous. 2 years ago I picked up a brand new left handed Mexican Strat for $359, that would retail here for at least twice that.

It would be great if the new increased space means more buying power to bring prices within reasonable limits, otherwise I'll have to keep importing...

I agree 100% , but dont hold your breath that prices will be any cheaper. Everything as we all know well, is dearer in Ireland. To be honost, I dont expect this new music store to be any cheaper than it was when it was "MusicInc". The only thing I'm expecting is more choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Does anyone have any thoughts as to how this place will fare in the current economic climate? Obviously I wish them all the best but you have to wonder at the timing and how all the doom-and-gloom media will have an impact.

Either way, I cannot wait to get in and have a look around. Would love to see some lesser-spotted brands making their first appearance in Irish shops but I'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Jaysus thats massive alright. Anyone hear about plans for opening specials or anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Ok i missed pretty much the whole thread. New music superstore in ireland !!! And just when i moved to dublin an all :D:D:D.

Congrats to all the lads from musician inc, Always thought they had the soundest staff in town, they even let me try out a 4001 ric and a prs custom 24, any other store would tell me where to stick it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I've been told the idea behind the store is to allow them compete with internet sellers. I think we'll see them getting closer to thomann etc on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

It would be great if they could compete. I haven't bought anything big from a seller in ireland because I can get it so much cheaper from the likes of gak,thomann,musicstore etc. I'd gladly buy from a shop in ireland if it could compete with some of the online stores. I buy my strings and stuff from a small local music shop because it's conveniantly located and I'd like to see them stay open. Sure the prices are more expensive than buying strings online but I'm happy to give them my business

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Rigsby

In post #34 it says the opening date is 3rd and 4th of October...... thats this w/e :) . On the same post it gives their new web site. All that says is 11/10/08. Not sure if this is when the site will be up and running or the new opening date. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I don't think it's this weekend. There's a lot of posters up in town saying it's the 11th, and the website. I think they're having an opening event but I didn't catch the details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

The opening is the 11th. There's a sale on in Musician Inc at the moment. I was in there during lunch and saw the signs. Not much left in there, but I didn't look at any of the prices to see the discounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Musicmaker are re-doing their website at the moment, and there's a tab for 'online shop' so it looks like they're going to have a bash at online selling too. Might be in response to X-music, or it could be something they were planning anyway.

Interesting times all the same.

Musicmaker are re-doing their website at the moment, and there's a tab for 'online shop' so it looks like they're going to have a bash at online selling too. Might be in response to X-music, or it could be something they were planning anyway.

Interesting times all the same.

Aye, I was in Music Maker today and they were all scurrying around trying to redesign the layout in the shop. Maybe this X-music thing will improve the competition, others will have to step up to the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Scoual

wOW That's huge allright,
    i'm wonderin how you've been able to take pics of the inside if it hasn't opened yet, sure they wouldn't allow anybody to sneak in to have a look, no?, do we have an inside guy here?
    :rolleyes:

Scoual wrote: »
    wOW That's huge allright,
    i'm wonderin who you've been able to take pics of the inside if it hasn't opened yet, sure they wouldn't allow anybody to sneak in to have a look, no?, do we have an inside guy here?
    :rolleyes:
    The construction photos are on their myspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Scoual

:D Sorry my bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Dord wrote: »
    others will have to step up to the plate.

Aye thats true, although I can't see Perfect Pitch being able to compete with the large scale business of the new store opening up, they (Perfect Ptich) never came across as a serious outlet in terms of financial gain and expanding power if you get me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

just a note regards irish prices,i work for an electronics retailer and one of the companies who supply us also sell casio,so i rang up one day curious about a synth they had...
    it's cost price to me (i.e before adding on vat,before even charging a profit margin!) was still higher than the price on thomann!
    seriously how can irish retailers compete?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

punchdrunk wrote: »
    just a note regards irish prices,i work for an electronics retailer and one of the companies who supply us also sell casio,so i rang up one day curious about a synth they had...
    it's cost price to me (i.e before adding on vat,before even charging a profit margin!) was still higher than the price on thomann!
    seriously how can irish retailers compete?
    Good question. I'd guess that a big retailer would be able to get some kind of volume discount? Fairly obviously Thomann would still shift way more volume than X-Music? So unless X=music is the irish branch of some large multi-national retailer.....

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Darkstrike

Bingo, I used to work in the sales industry, and you see places like Dunnes Stores, who sell their stuff cheaper than regular shops pay for it, its all about bulk buying.

Even check Thomainn's site, they say they import so much, from so many companys, they make much better numbers, both in shipping and in bulk rates.

X-Music will be using this to their advantage, they probably won't match, Thomainn, but they'll get closer than any other Irish shop will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Darkstrike wrote: »
    Bingo, I used to work in the sales industry, and you see places like Dunnes Stores, who sell their stuff cheaper than regular shops pay for it, its all about bulk buying.

Even check Thomainn's site, they say they import so much, from so many companys, they make much better numbers, both in shipping and in bulk rates.

X-Music will be using this to their advantage, they probably won't match, Thomainn, but they'll get closer than any other Irish shop will.
    Yup and having a shop that i can play it in and take it away with me the same day will make me glad to pay the extra, as long as it isnt too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I cant wait to try out the 4 lefties they'll have :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Dord wrote: »
    I can't wait til it's opened! :D

Wahay :D Looks mint.. AND MODERN haha.

Cant wait to visit the place in November!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Might've missed it, but whereabouts is this place going to be?

Might've missed it, but whereabouts is this place going to be?

Its up near the Red Cow.

They are doing something with the existing store in town (Musician Inc) - downsizing it and changing its name to the X-music Express store or something, only using it for small stuff... and some sort of collection thing..or something..

Patricide wrote: »
    Yup and having a shop that i can play it in and take it away with me the same day will make me glad to pay the extra, as long as it isnt too much.
    Not to mention the stage they'll have, and the coffee area.:D

Coffee + Bass = Win!

Unless someone spills coffee on the axes, which just means B-Stock to me!

Coffee + Bass = Win!

LOL

As long as it's not Starbucks coffee... :rolleyes:

Damn' straight, I'm expectin' quality!

Quality instruments too..........

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Coffee + Bass = Win!

coffee plus anything musical = Win

• Advertisement

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    coffee plus anything musical = Win
    Indeed, it was just that bass happens to be my particular vice.

Though if they have a few decent wide necked guitars, I won't be held accountable for my actions.

Advertisement