Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musician Inc closing down?

Options
  • 02-09-2008 1:19pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just walked past Musician Inc a couple of minutes ago and there's a For Sale sign outside. Anyone hear about them closing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

From their website?????
    http://www.musicianinc.ie/frame_for_pages.htm
    Musician Inc. is undergoing some exciting new changes. Please bear with us while we update our website.

In the meantime, we will be looking for some new personnel. Please forward CV's to Stephen O'Brien via e-mail or post.

Did ya take a peak inside? Any decent offers?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Closing down sale?
    Well, i can't say i'm all that surprised, with the thomanns of the world destroying the Irish guitar shops, the only things i buy in there are strings plectrums and the odd bits and bobs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Wonder are they just moving. Didn't see any evidence of a sale though. Might pop in and make sure though... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Moving to a bigger premises maybe ?

I was in there a few weeks back, they had a Ibanez Jem20th in stock. They can't be doing too badly when they can afford to stock a €5000 plastic guitar that nobody is ever going to buy :pac:

That's what I was thinking. They do have some decent stock, had Satriani in a while back to sign guitars and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

:eek:

Maybe they're moving to a bigger premises or moving off the street and to web-only???

Hmm, dunno if moving to web only would be a good move for them. They're pretty handy to call into. I doubt they could match Thomann et al for pricing.

Yeah, I usually buy bits and pieces there. Wonder where they'll move to.

Do some investigating work fey and find out what the deal is! :D

Hopefully not too far away. It's handy having all the guitar shops near each other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

I wonder are they going to get a bigger premises, and do what their trading title says, and cater for MUSICIANS, instead of just guitarists...

PAH!

Im also now waiting for the "drummers aren't musicians" joke

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭kranog

Aaaahhhhh...I wonder if the rumour is true!
    I heard some mad idea that they might be the heads behind the franchise of Guitar Centre over here!
    In fairness....the yanks know the way to bury the internet competition....strength in numbers and all that!

I'll have to ask a former employee friend of mine! :)
    Stay tuned!

I wonder are they going to get a bigger premises, and do what their trading title says, and cater for MUSICIANS, instead of just guitarists...

PAH!

Im also now waiting for the "drummers aren't musicians" joke

Everyone knows that drummers aren't musicians! :rolleyes: ;)

kranog wrote: »
    I heard some mad idea that they might be the heads behind the franchise of Guitar Centre over here!
    In fairness....the yanks know the way to bury the internet competition....strength in numbers and all that!

Stay tuned!

OOoh that sounds interesting! I love a bit of gossip! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Septico

I am not surprised they are closing down.. they have done nothing but over price their stock and rip people off for the last 10 or whatever years.

Staff always had a snobby approach to people in there too.

Plenty of better shops around the city. RANT OVER

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭kranog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

kranog wrote: »

Stay tuned!

AFAIK Guitar Center and the big US interweb music shops - Musiciansfriend and Music123 are all the same company.

Bein' an aul' lad I am conversant with the use of analog communication methods so I just used what's called a telephone to contact Musicians Inc. They are closing the acoustic part of their shop and keeping the electric part open. They are opening a new shop in a retail park near the Red Cow roundabout :rolleyes:. The name will change to X Music.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Septico wrote: »
    I am not surprised they are closing down.. they have done nothing but over price their stock and rip people off for the last 10 or whatever years.

Staff always had a snobby approach to people in there too.

Plenty of better shops around the city. RANT OVER

Are you thinking of Musician, Inc. or Musicmaker? Musician, Inc. have never been anything less than helpful gents in all the time I've gone to them.

AFAIK Guitar Center and the big US interweb music shops - Musiciansfriend and Music123 are all the same company.

Bein' an aul' lad I am conversant with the use of analog communication methods so I just used what's called a telephone to contact Musicians Inc. They are closing the acoustic part of their shop and keeping the electric part open. They are opening a new shop in a retail park near the Red Cow roundabout :rolleyes:. The name will change to X Music.

http://www.x-music.ie/ :)

Ireland's Biggest eh? Doesn't have to be very big so.

• Advertisement

I'll have to go out on the Luas and check it out when it's open. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Musician were always spot on but like most, they were my call for random bits and bobs rather than big purchases.

That x-music crowd at the red cow, I remember a crowd called Rae Sound were based out there, same people?

I don't think so... Rae sound were just for P.A. equipment afaik.

The X music website is registered to Professional Audio Ltd., who it seems are also in charge of Roland Ireland. I think Music Maker used to be the main Roland dealers in Ireland, Musician/Xmusic seem to have gotten it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

A megastore in Ireland, awesome!! Wall-to-wall Epiphones and Squire Strats!! :eek:

Or can I dare to dream that maybe they'd stock a whole bunch of cool brands never before seen over here? Mmm.... No :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

LOL

Eh telephone, yeah I heard about them "tel-e-phone.......telephone" :pac: :P :)

Ah us young lads, only deal with emails, less personal :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Here's hoping for some bacchus!
    ...i can only dream...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Hmmm.... updates CV.......... How far to the Red Cow Retail Park from the City on the Luas?

Please let them have a parts department that stocks some decent parts at internet like prices.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Damn how I wish I lived in dublin, would be handing in a nice cv right now lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Darkstrike

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Damn how I wish I lived in dublin, would be handing in a nice cv right now lol!
    +1, I spend most of my time talking gear anyway, why not get paid for it.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Hmmm.... updates CV.......... How far to the Red Cow Retail Park from the City on the Luas?

AFAICS its just behind the Redcow hotel, the Retail park appears to be a fancy way of saying Ballymount :rolleyes:, but atleast its more or less on the edge. Not sure with the new revised layout of the Red Cow and the Luas changes, but it would have only been a few minute walk back across the old Luas bridge. There's also a bus stop outside the Redcow hotel for the outbound 51b/c,68,69.

D.

Advertisement