Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Post Codes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

amacachi wrote: »
    In fairness I'm 21 and have lived here all my life and more than 4 miles from my house I'd have no more than a very vague idea of where the different townlands are.
    And do you need to?

Are you going to be any more aware of where xxxxxxx postcode is than a townland name?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭miles teg

the dublin bikes webpage requires a postcode on their registration form :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I tried to order a Russian mail order bride, but they couldn't deliver her due to having no post-code for the online form.

Ireland = Teh cock block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Noffles wrote: »
    What really is the big deal here...? Getting post codes is modernizing this backward land surely...?

A few comments there saying "I liked the fact we didn't have postcodes...." what??? Why? ****ing post goes all over the bastard place and international mail slows down even more as soon as it hits Ireland....

We've personally lost far too much mail sent from the UK...

Yeah but it's charming not having postcodes, it's like not having running water or proper sewage systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    And do you need to?

Are you going to be any more aware of where xxxxxxx postcode is than a townland name?

When I look on Google Earth pretty much all the townlands are in the wrong place on the map, some are 6-8 miles off. So try getting that on a Satnav. A simple county/grid system for postcodes would make it almost impossible for Satnavs to mess it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

Just put in BT11AA... oh wait, wrong thread...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

positron wrote: »
    I deal with a lot of people around the world, and no one can believe Ireland still doesn't have a postcode system!

The other day my local GP gave me a referral letter to a doctor and the address says 'Xyz road'. The darn road is 8 miles long and when asked where exactly, she said 'look out for this club, its a white bungalow opposite that'. :rolleyes:
    In Italy they have "milestones" every 100m on many roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

amacachi wrote: »
    Yeah but it's charming not having postcodes, it's like not having running water or proper sewage systems.

You're quite right... maybe it's getting ahead of itself here..... but surely the new postcodes will fix the massive failings in infrastructure and the grim reapers favourite health service....??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

So everyone sees the €50m figure and goes off on a rant about wasting money, not needed, idiot pen pushers etc etc without doing any research what so ever.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/streets-filled-with-letters-as-postcodes-go-national-1891967.html
    So we'll actually be saving money with postcodes! Sorry to ruin a good moan. And if I get my discretely wrapped plain brown package a day earlier, great!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I think the post-codes will be a good idea. My mother's maiden name is Murphy and too many times a letter came in our door not intended for us.
    I'm faced with the decision to
    a) Get in the car and give it to the rightful owner
    b) Open it and read what the neighbour received
    c) Write 'for sexual purposes' at the end of the address, and give it to them

Naturally, I go for C :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

In Italy they have "milestones" every 100m on many roads.

Stupid Italians. 100m does not equal 1 mile. Bet ya they're not even real stones either!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

What can they do if people refuse to use them? At the end of the day, the postman won't forget where I live overnight and demand to know my postcode.

irish_goat wrote: »
    What can they do if people refuse to use them? At the end of the day, the postman won't forget where I live overnight and demand to know my postcode.

Your right they probably won't. You do realise however you sound like the old man with his trousers up to his chest moaning about how it's still a marathon bar as far as he's concerned?
    Is there any actual reason you dislike postcodes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Ed_

irish_goat wrote: »
    What can they do if people refuse to use them?

Why would someone refuse to use a post code?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Ed_ wrote: »
    Why would someone refuse to use a post code?

Backwater mentality.

I read today that they want to do it on a town by town basis, e.g Tuam will be TU1 XYZ, and Athlone might be ATH 123. Whats the point of that? Wouldnt it make more sense to do it by county, e.g. Tuam might be G03 ABC and Athlone would be WH04 ABC...much easier, no?

Sure you could have 99 different postal regions in each county, i.e. CK01-CK99 for Cork for example, then 36 x 36 x 36 different codes for the second half, i.e. CK01 000 - CK01 ZZZ, thats 46000 unique codes for every region, multiplied by 99 regions, i.e. an absolute sh1tload of codes, and thats only for one county!

In the UK it seems to be done by each side of the street, so the even numbers of Kildare Street would be D02 ABC and the odd number would be D02 ABD....not a bad system i dont think, and no reason why we couldnt do it like that over here.

That'll be €50million please! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I think the post-codes will be a good idea. My mother's maiden name is Murphy

That's great.
    And your bank account details please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

I think the post-codes will be a good idea. My mother's maiden name is Murphy and too many times a letter came in our door not intended for us.
    I'm faced with the decision to
    a) Get in the car and give it to the rightful owner
    b) Open it and read what the neighbour received
    c) Write 'for sexual purposes' at the end of the address, and give it to them

Naturally, I go for C :p

post codes won't do much to prevent that from happening. the amount of ****e I got for other people when i was in england was unreal. and it's nearly always the couriers that got it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    000 is your best friend in that situation.

Actually your best option is "none" which is universally accepted on web forms and the likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Your right they probably won't. You do realise however you sound like the old man with his trousers up to his chest moaning about how it's still a marathon bar as far as he's concerned?
    Is there any actual reason you dislike postcodes?

ah yes, whenever someone disagrees with the introduction of some new system/rules just accuse them of being oldfashioned and backward. guaranteed to work

just because post codes are 'new' over here and because all the countries surrounding Ireland have them doesn't mean it's actually a good idea, or necessary, or worth spending the money on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Fear of change - check
    Government plans CANT THE MONEY BE SPENT ON HOSPITALS hysteria-check

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Dankoozy wrote: »
    The Irish government should piss away 50 million on a postcode system because of a few stupid Twitter-using web developers who fail to realise that not everyone has or needs a postcode?
    b0bsquish wrote: »
    er...why does it cost 50 million??
    Biggins wrote: »
    50 Mill' frak me!
    We'll waste €50 million on it, and then that will make the money An post spent on the mail sorting machines a waste too.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    It's €50 mil because some civil servants are going to have to think up a name for every road and boreen in the country...
    dannym08 wrote: »
    can somebody tell me why were spending 50m smackers on it??
    squod wrote: »
    Expect great hillarity for your €50 million
    MayoForSam wrote: »
    Can't believe it will cost €50 million, when are we going to learn?
    Jev/N wrote: »
    How the hell is this costing €50m if it's being put out to tender??

wow

and i thought we had a decent rate of adult literacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

won't affect me - the DHL driver will still phone me up and tell me that the clutch has gone in his van, he can't possibly get up the mountain and he's left my package in a random post-office 6 miles from my house !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    000 is your best friend in that situation.

if its just for registering for a website I always use 90210

0000 works tho, but alot of the time I get stuff sent to 'Kildare Default'

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

Why not just use the existing OS Map system as the base for the postal code system.

Dankoozy wrote: »
    ah yes, whenever someone disagrees with the introduction of some new system/rules just accuse them of being oldfashioned and backward. guaranteed to work

just because post codes are 'new' over here and because all the countries surrounding Ireland have them doesn't mean it's actually a good idea, or necessary, or worth spending the money on

When someone posts giving out that they won't change then yes I will unless there is a good reason. It's not about "new" or being like our neighbours it's about them being useful. At least if I have a post code I won't end up on the wrong rural street/road with the same name as the one a few miles away.
    Again what harm will they cause? You have already been shown that it won't end up costing us much if anything so what's your real beef with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

b0bsquish wrote: »
    er...why does it cost 50 million??
    Because they have to do out the numbers in irish and english :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Again what harm will they cause? You have already been shown that it won't end up costing us much if anything so what's your real beef with it?

Think I can answer that. Because we love to moan, and we'll moan about fecken anything, especially if it's the governments idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 mackjohn

http://www.irishpostcodes.ie/

It's been up and running for a while, they even use a garmin GPS system to work with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

mackjohn wrote: »
    http://www.irishpostcodes.ie/

It's been up and running for a while, they even use a garmin GPS system to work with it...

The post code seems to have taken the first three letters of the place name then three numbers at the end.

So I live in Penane Bridge, the post code is PEN155.

Can this be right? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement