Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Post Codes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I may be missing the point of postcodes completely, but they only identify your address down to an area, not the exact house. In the case of the Royal Mail, it's up to 80 houses per code.
    If a "culcie" like me can be found just using a Townland name, then how will a code be any better.

Also, i enjoy giving the Guards a bum steer everytime they come looking for a neighbour to serve a summons. Will my little thrill be gone if they can find a house by postcode?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

How the hell is this costing €50m if it's being put out to tender??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Jev/N wrote: »
    How the hell is this costing €50m if it's being put out to tender??

Last time it was mooted the cost was estimated at €50m, the article says the cost would be considerably less.

Postcodes, a 1960s solution to a 21st century "problem" which doesn't even exist. An Post have OCR systems to help sort post. Seems to be another way we can copy the UK.

I'm in Dublin 9 and that's good enough thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

am i the only one who thinks this is a good thing?

im sick of getting other peoples mail going to my house because the post man cant find the house. i found it alright later that night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

smk89 wrote: »
    am i the only one who thinks this is a good thing?

No, anyone who wants to go anywhere they've never been will also agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

After driving 60 miles to Dundalk recently for an important appointment, I could not find the place - I couldn't type the address into my Sat Nav because it didn't recognise it so I ended up miles out of my way. I was half an hour late so appointment had to be re-scheduled

So I will be so happy when postcodes are introduced!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

And you know all of Galway is going to get G1 xxx anyway,

Or maybe they'll do what the brits did in NI* and extent Dublin postcodes to the rest of the country?

*In NI everyone has a BT code, even Derry.

Taken from http://www.irishpostcodes.ie/findoutmore.php#A4

"An Post has repeatedly stated that it does not need a Post Code system as it operates its own internal one. However, new postal services entering the market as a result of deregulation in early 2010 will need a system so that they can compete with An Post on a level playing field."
    It would be cheaper to ask An Post to reveal their internal post code system to anyone who is granted to compete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

kelle wrote: »
    After driving 60 miles to Dundalk recently for an important appointment, I could not find the place - I couldn't type the address into my Sat Nav because it didn't recognise it so I ended up miles out of my way. I was half an hour late so appointment had to be re-scheduled

So I will be so happy when postcodes are introduced!

you couldn't find dundalk?
    i don't know whether to congratulate you or laugh at you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

Fantastic!! I've been waiting for this to be introduced. Also reading the OP it seems the system is going to cost a fraction of €50m not actually €50m.

This makes sense as all that needs to be done is divy up the country into however many postcodes we need. The adoption of the system can happen at is own pace and most of the investment will come from the private sector wanting to use it.

I've lived in the UK for the past three years and post codes are amazingly helpful. Navigating somewhere using GPS being an obvious one but there is tonnes of other stuff as well. Such as localising search results on ebay, auto trader, <insert other website>, finding take aways that deliver to your area and much much more...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Julesie wrote: »
    Fantastic!! I've been waiting for this to be introduced. Also reading the OP it seems the system is going to cost a fraction of €50m not actually €50m.

This makes sense as all that needs to be done is divy up the country into however many postcodes we need. The adoption of the system can happen at is own pace and most of the investment will come from the private sector wanting to use it.

I've lived in the UK for the past three years and post codes are amazingly helpful. Navigating somewhere using GPS being an obvious one but there is tonnes of other stuff as well. Such as localising search results on ebay, auto trader, <insert other website>, finding take aways that deliver to your area and much much more...

I'd much rather leap to an instant reaction without knowing any possible benefits thanks.

ACORN makes sure you live in the right neighbourhood
    http://www.caci.co.uk/acorn/acornmap.asp

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

About time this has been brought in. Its badly needed. Alot of people seem to be against it and Im not really sure why, aside from the upfront cost obviously.

It will reduce postal delivery times and improves the ease of doing business. It will allow businesses to verify addresses of businesses and consumers which can be a big problem in non unique postal areas (which accounts for 40% of Irish addresses). Its a massive efficiency improvement. If improvements to the supply chain costs are there, then its can reduce the cost of doing business in Ireland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dannym08 wrote: »
    http://www.irishpostcodes.ie/

a private company has already developed a system, as have An Post (they're just to mean to share) so can somebody tell me why were spending 50m smackers on it??
    They are just using the Ordnance Survey Irish Grid Reference System system that has been in place for ages.

It's not a postcode it's just reading your location off an ordnance survey map :rolleyes:

Then again that site doesn't mention the Ordnance Survey, and they should know that one of the reasons why GPS data here is limited compared to the rest of the EU is that the OS are very jealous of their intellectual property.

If the all the delivery companies decided to share their data then they could have created postcodes ages ago , but they want someone else to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

A lot of fail on the first three pages of this thread.

It will cost circa €12m to implement according to the Irish Times, and will be essentially cost-neutral because of the savings. E.g. it will save the Revenue Commissioners alone €2m.

It will also enable badly needed postal competition which will lower the cost of posting and thus eventually allow the likes of amazon to offer free postage on orders; just like they do in just about every other OECD country.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

FFS

the only reason i cant remeber my sisters addy in london is cos of that ****ing postcode with the 20 letters and numbers

Jesus!
    But all you need to remember is her house/flat number and her postcode.
    Stick that on the envelope and it will get to her house without any other info on it.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I may be missing the point of postcodes completely, but they only identify your address down to an area, not the exact house. In the case of the Royal Mail, it's up to 80 houses per code.
    If a "culcie" like me can be found just using a Townland name, then how will a code be any better.
    The exact house will be identified by the house number (or name) and the postcode.
    It will be easier with new housing estates where they may have a "River Crescent", "River Avenue" and "River Drive". Each area has a unique postcode so
    1 River Avenue, DN1 1AA, would be different from
    1 River Crescent, DN1 1AB, which is different from
    1 River Drive, DN1 1AC
    There will be a seperate postcode for each one.
    So for your farming communities,
    John Browne, Cut Bush, Co. Kildare and his neighbouring farmer half a mile down the road:
    J Brown, Cut Bush, Co. Kildare
    will be differentiated as
    John Browne, Boolea, Co. Kildare, KE7 6TD, and
    J Brown, Boolea, Co. Kildare, KE7 6TF
    or something like that!
    Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Also, i enjoy giving the Guards a bum steer everytime they come looking for a neighbour to serve a summons. Will my little thrill be gone if they can find a house by postcode?;)
    How often do the Gardai come looking to summons your neighbours? Do you live on a halting site?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

I deal with a lot of people around the world, and no one can believe Ireland still doesn't have a postcode system!

The other day my local GP gave me a referral letter to a doctor and the address says 'Xyz road'. The darn road is 8 miles long and when asked where exactly, she said 'look out for this club, its a white bungalow opposite that'. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

wudangclan wrote: »
    you couldn't find dundalk?
    i don't know whether to congratulate you or laugh at you.

I found Dundalk. It was the place I needed to get to on it's outskirts I couldn't find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

kelle wrote: »
    I found Dundalk. It was the place I needed to get to on it's outskirts I couldn't find.

In fairness I'm 21 and have lived here all my life and more than 4 miles from my house I'd have no more than a very vague idea of where the different townlands are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

amacachi wrote: »
    Looking forward to run_to_da_hills' reaction to this.

He will just say that voting No to Lisbon is the only postcode we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Magnus wrote: »
    And you know all of Galway is going to get G1 xxx anyway,

Or maybe they'll do what the brits did in NI* and extent Dublin postcodes to the rest of the country?

*In NI everyone has a BT code, even Derry.

I bags D4000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

What really is the big deal here...? Getting post codes is modernizing this backward land surely...?

A few comments there saying "I liked the fact we didn't have postcodes...." what??? Why? ****ing post goes all over the bastard place and international mail slows down even more as soon as it hits Ireland....

We've personally lost far too much mail sent from the UK...

positron wrote: »

How often do the Gardai come looking to summons your neighbours? Do you live on a halting site?
    About once a year and no I don't.

WTF?!!! :eek: I never said anything like that..! Boards glitch or is Fuzzy Clam a bit too clever for my liking? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

positron wrote:
    Yo momma's ass is so big it needs it's own damn post code!
    Ha nice one :-D

20goto10 wrote: »
    GO HARVEY GO! :-D

Yeah :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

It is truly amazing how much moaning we Irish can do.

Welcome to the 20th century, Ireland. Too bad it took us until the 21st century...

positron wrote: »
    WTF?!!! :eek: I never said anything like that..! Boards glitch or is Fuzzy Clam a bit too clever for my liking? :D
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Sorry, no idea how that happened.

Must have used the wrong postcode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

it'll help freight companies for a start. Trust me, I've seen seperate company's codes for the country/counties/areas, needing translation from one company to another, feckin nightmare, with duplicates (had 36 codes from one place for the 26 counties, and no they weren't splitting counties).

Should have been in ages ago.

Advertisement