Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Post Codes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NotInventedHere

garydubh I understand that the ideal situation is that post codes are introduced and people accept them for the efficencies that they deliver. Wherther that is that marketers can pidgeonhole you with greater accuracy or post is delivered quicker or whatever this post code silver bullet promises. That is not reality where 'real' people stand to lose 'real money' because of what is essentially a lottery created by a private company. eg militar Road, Balybrack. Foxboro, Lucan, Larel lodge, Castleknock. thats just 3 off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

garydubh I understand that the ideal situation is that post codes are introduced and people accept them for the efficencies that they deliver. Wherther that is that marketers can pidgeonhole you with greater accuracy or post is delivered quicker or whatever this post code silver bullet promises. That is not reality where 'real' people stand to lose 'real money' because of what is essentially a lottery created by a private company. eg militar Road, Balybrack. Foxboro, Lucan, Larel lodge, Castleknock. thats just 3 off the top of my head.

Not sure why you have quoted street names???

PON Codes are no lottery - they are a direct conversion of Irish Grid which your house already has.....

Cannot account for your thinking on this as some real people are in vehicles every day trying to find places and cannot because the other real people you refer to change their addresses to suit their pretentions....

You seem to be on your own with this point of view!

This thread is starting to remind me of the silly situation that occurred in London in the late 80's (or early 90's, I can't remember exactly) when the Telephone numbers were divided up into two dialling zones as they had run out of numbers.

One zone was central London and the other was the remainder of London, the number of people who got their numbers ported to central London ones at great expense was unbelievable, Mrs Buckets the lot of them! pronounced "Bouquet".

At least you can't do that with PON codes. :) (have visions of someone erecting a signpost with "We actually live 500 metres down the road" pointing to a council estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

This thread is starting to remind me of the silly situation that occurred in London in the late 80's (or early 90's, I can't remember exactly) when the Telephone numbers were divided up into two dialling zones as they had run out of numbers.

Oh yeah I remember that. The Who came and played on one side but not the other or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Its looks like we are getting postcodes:http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0920/postcode.html
    The Government has approved the introduction of a national postal code.

The Minister for Communications said tenders for the design and implementation of the system will be issued shortly.

Minister Ryan said he expects new postal codes with digits and letters to be introduced in 2011.
    Advertisement

A Government commissioned report said codes would provide long term savings and demographic details for planning as well as benefitting emergency services.

An Post said it will be playing a key role in the move to postal codes which will involve coding 1.7 million addresses.

In 2005, the then Minister for Communications, Noel Dempsey, promised a new system by 2008. At the time An post questioned the need for postal codes and industry experts put the cost at €50 million

However, Mr Ryan today said the move would cost a fraction of the €50 million it was estimated to cost four years.

Part of me is sad that we will lose our old non-post coded address e.g. John Murphy, Carricknabridie, Killslaybutcher, Ballytown, Co Mayo.

Still will make it easier filling in those damm online address forms that ask for post codes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

We don't need post codes, this is purely for the benefit of a few yuppies who can't deal with GPS coordinates and need something else to type into their TomTom

and of course blindly copying what every other country does for the sake of "being more modern" in the hope that they will welcome us into their clique.

i always liked the lack of post codes, addresses were easier to remember without some cryptic code thrown into the middle of it.

Property tax
    Post codes
    "3 strikes" rule for using p2p
    NCT

what other needless, annoying measures are they going to introduce here in order to 'fit in with the rest of them modern countries like England and France?'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Its looks like we are getting postcodes:http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0920/postcode.html

Part of me is sad that we will lose our old non-post coded address e.g. John Murphy, Carricknabridie, Killslaybutcher, Ballytown, Co Mayo. MO1234

Still will make it easier filling in those damm online address forms that ask for post codes.

John Murphy, Carricknabridie, Killslaybutcher, Ballytown, Co Mayo. MO1234

You probably wont lose it, just add to it. It is not before time either.

ronaneire wrote: »
    John Murphy, Carricknabridie, Killslaybutcher, Ballytown, Co Mayo. MO4SAM09

That might be more like what we get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Dartz

Never underestimate the governments ability to launch pointless initiatives just to prove that it is doing something to solve a problem nobody even cared about.

Can it be dictatorship tiem nao?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

So will Dublin just stay the way it is or will there be changes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Part of me is sad that we will lose our old non-post coded address e.g. John Murphy, Carricknabridie, Killslaybutcher, Ballytown, Co Mayo.

Way to give out Murphy's address.

How about a bit of privacy around here?

COME ON!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

We must be the last country in Europe to introduce the system.
    About shaggin time!
    Sick of web forms not responding right when you can't supply a post code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Dankoozy wrote: »
    We don't need post codes, this is purely for the benefit of a few yuppies who can't deal with GPS coordinates and need something else to type into their TomTom

and of course blindly copying what every other country does for the sake of "being more modern" in the hope that they will welcome us into their clique.

i always liked the lack of post codes, addresses were easier to remember without some cryptic code thrown into the middle of it.

Property tax
    Post codes
    "3 strikes" rule for using p2p
    NCT

what other needless, annoying measures are they going to introduce here in order to 'fit in with the rest of them modern countries like England and France?'

NCT needless??? Lol...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Biggins wrote: »
    About shaggin time!

000 is your best friend in that situation.

ah yes. lets spend 50 million squids. sure why not. we'll just let biggins kid suffer some more so we can make mr postmans life soooo much easier :rolleyes:

Edit; didn't actually notice that biggins had replied to the thread! does my post look bad now? flip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

About shaggin time!
    000 always works for me

Bit daft to add a post code and confuse people just to make a few online transactions a bit smoother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Way to give out Murphy's address.

How about a bit of privacy around here?

COME ON!!!!

For example

About shaggin time!

The Irish government should piss away 50 million on a postcode system because of a few stupid Twitter-using web developers who fail to realise that not everyone has or needs a postcode?

NCT needless??? Lol...

NCT does nothing but make people spend more money on cars and replacement parts that weren't necessary before. so unless you consider propping up the garages / car industries a justified cause then it's needless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

er...why does it cost 50 million??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Do we really need this ****e when this country is struggling financially? I reckon theirs better and more important things to spend €50 million on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Dankoozy wrote: »
    The Irish government should piss away 50 million on a postcode system because of a few stupid Twitter-using web developers who fail to realise that not everyone has or needs a postcode?

Definably not. If it costs that much - stuff that.
    We can survive without it. 50 Mill' frak me!
    Ireland ain't THAT big! We'll still get our mail anyway!

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Do we really need this ****e when this country is struggling financially? I reckon theirs better and more important things to spend €50 million on.

Like what??? Go on I dare ya - Name one thing MORE important that postcodes?

This could save us seconds upon seconds when buying stuff online.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

A waste of money, we have done ok so far without them,

A load of crap people on Rte News saying it will save lives,

We'll waste €50 million on it, and then that will make the money An post spent on the mail sorting machines a waste too.

they could just have one official postcode for everyone in ireland to use for this purpose. maybe something like 'yore ma' but in caps and l33t speek to make it look more like an actual post code

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

typical of this damn government ..... lets try and fix something thats working already !!!

where can we pi$$ away some more public money ?

I'd like to find out who was actually behind it.... and ask them why do they want to waste public money in this way !!

Is there really a need for Ireland to get post code's .... good 'ould Mr Postie knew how to do his job 50yrs ago , these days the postman(Being Policically Correct Postal Delivery Staff) doesn't know the difference between "Avenue" and "Road" (*Not ALL Postal Delivery Staff are capable of doing their job...much like a lot of staff in any other job - nepotism has ruined our economy)

/Rant (Gets Coat)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

FFS

the only reason i cant remeber my sisters addy in london is cos of that ****ing postcode with the 20 letters and numbers

Jesus!

the post is pure slow here but so what- jesus what next they gonna have colour coded squares in every estate!

They taxing us to the bone in every budget- but hey "while we are at it lets introduce something totally unnecessery to take the focus away from everything else we are doing wrong"

twits!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's €50 mil because some civil servants are going to have to think up a name for every road and boreen in the country...
    A waste of money, we have done ok so far without them,

A load of crap people on Rte News saying it will save lives,

We'll waste €50 million on it, and then that will make the money An post spent on the mail sorting machines a waste too.

They already have one, but won't let anyone else use it. So we have to have a new system:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Don't need it for postal delivery.
    Delivery mail in towns should be straightforward with estates and streets and house numbers.

Not easy in rural areas when you have a few people with the same name and no numbers, just townlands. And the postman needs to know every child and grandchild.
    But it works, fair play postal staff

Do emergency staff need it, can an ambulane find someone on a rural farm?
    Well they can but would this help?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

http://www.irishpostcodes.ie/

a private company has already developed a system, as have An Post (they're just to mean to share) so can somebody tell me why were spending 50m smackers on it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

b0bsquish wrote: »
    er...why does it cost 50 million??

Because the people in charge here are utterly stupid in one way, but very smart in others as in they will make sure their own cronies will make a fortune out of it.
    e- voting part 2 :rolleyes: Remember, it's mainly FF hacks who are on long term contracts to mind those useless machines.:mad:

Advertisement