Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Post Codes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

b0bsquish wrote: »
    er...why does it cost 50 million??

Because that the figure the tossers in the Dail seem to think everything costs. The final figure will be much higher anyway.
    Then theres the extra payments the posties will expect because of changes in working practice.

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's €50 mil because some civil servants are going to have to think up a name for every road and boreen in the country...

Many minor roads in the country have been given number signs recently. I wonder if it's connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Many minor roads in the country have been given number signs recently. I wonder if it's connected.

I doubt it, our powers that be never plan ahead.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

This smells like a Zanu-FF ploy to get the Greens to agree to Nama, same as the €10m cycle path they're getting in dublin so they can safely cycle to the Dail and sniff their own farts at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The address example given by the OP is a pretty detailed one though - I've seen e.g. "John Murphy, Name of townland, Co Cork". How the heck does the postman find the house? I know the postman gets to know the various people, but what about when a new postman starts...?

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    The address example given by the OP is a pretty detailed one though - I've seen e.g. "John Murphy, Name of townland, Co Cork". How the heck does the postman find the house? I know the postman gets to know the various people, but what about when a new postman starts...?

Where i live there's a hell of a lot of Murphys, it will still be confusing for any new post man , even with post codes.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

It's about time we got a proper postcode system.

The current postcode system in the UK works very well and hopefully we'll get a similar system.

Some of the addresses in use at the moment are a joke and make life very difficult for An Post. A new system would improve the efficiently of the postal system for all.

I remember I worked in a college years ago and I was doing a post out to the students who were due to start in the September. I had a big pile of letters put to one side and when my boss came back she said what's up with all of those. I said "oh half the address is missing on them" she thought this was hilarious and told me that they were the full addresses (she was from leitrim). When I asked her how they would know where to deliver them her reply was "ah they just know" :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

A new postman started my home route in Cork there about 3 weeks ago, he spent about 2 weeks before that in the passenger seat with the previous one, so I guess he learned all the houses that way. (I live in the back of beyonds too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Looking forward to run_to_da_hills' reaction to this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Dankoozy wrote: »
    We don't need post codes, this is purely for the benefit of a few yuppies who can't deal with GPS coordinates and need something else to type into their TomTom

and of course blindly copying what every other country does for the sake of "being more modern" in the hope that they will welcome us into their clique.

i always liked the lack of post codes, addresses were easier to remember without some cryptic code thrown into the middle of it.

Property tax
    Post codes
    "3 strikes" rule for using p2p
    NCT

what other needless, annoying measures are they going to introduce here in order to 'fit in with the rest of them modern countries like England and France?'

They're gonna need sign posts with the post-codes on them.

Of course there gonna be made from those stickers which can be easily peeled off by young-uns to make hillarious jokes like - M_BEWB5 or A_R53__, ___53XY etc.

Expect great hillarity for your €50 million. Just once the sign outside your house doesn't say _W_4NK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

galwayrush wrote: »
    Where i live there's a hell of a lot of Murphys, it will still be confusing for any new post man , even with post codes.:D

The system in the UK, which will hopefully be similar to the one we use, narrows the address down to a few houses eg 1 - 4 Drumcondra Road will have one postcode whereas the rest of the road will have different ones.

I live approx between Galway, Athenry and Tuam, for the love of god, i hope my postcode does not associate me with the Tuam area.:eek:

It's way its always been with no problems. They must have some system tho. The stand in posties here go around once with the main man before he takes his hols.
    Postcodes won't make it much easier if you don't know the townland names, will it?

When i moved down the sticks, i asked a neighbour how would the postman know would know where to deliver my post. "Sure you're only new guy around here" was the reply.

As far as I know all minor roads are numbered for system reasons but not for signposts. Local councils aren't meant to put the numbers on signposts but I have also noticed them doing it quite a bit lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

It's way its always been with no problems. They must have some system tho. The stand in posties here go around once with the main man before he takes his hols.
    Postcodes won't make it much easier if you don't know the townland names, will it?

When i moved down the sticks, i asked a neighbour how would the postman know would know where to deliver my post. "Sure you're only new guy around here" was the reply.

It's fine until you try to get a courier to deliver something.
    Surprisingly DHL don't know you're the only new guy around.
    The 50 Million that people are ranting about is some airy fairy figure they made up in 2005 when they were looking for some excuse to not implement the system.
    It says it will only be a fraction of that.
    An Post have been against such systems for years as it impacts on their monopoly on delivering stuff in rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I live approx between Galway, Athenry and Tuam, for the love of god, i hope my postcode does not associate me with the Tuam area.:eek:

You could do a lot worse :rolleyes:.

Having a post code might allow some useless courier companies (looking at you GLS) to actually find my house occassionally without having to have their handies held whilst providing directions over the phone (if they bother to ring in the first place).

Can't believe it will cost €50 million, when are we going to learn? Surely someone has done a cost/benefit analysis (then again this is Ireland we're talking about).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Corofin? Turloughmore?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭wexican

Oh, great. Now watch the volume of junk mail reach even more obscene levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

About time. Digital age y'know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

kincsem wrote: »
    About time. Digital age y'know.

having a strange looking code on every address does not contribute the slightest bit to making us more modern. better off spending the money on some actual proper fibre to the home broadband

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Corofin? Turloughmore?

One of those is pretty damn close.:D
    Clue..............We have a Galway phone code, not a Tuam one.;lol

dloob wrote: »
    It's fine until you try to get a courier to deliver something.
    Surprisingly DHL don't know you're the only new guy around.
    The 50 Million that people are ranting about is some airy fairy figure they made up in 2005 when they were looking for some excuse to not implement the system.
    It says it will only be a fraction of that.
    An Post have been against such systems for years as it impacts on their monopoly on delivering stuff in rural areas.

I'm well aware of the problems of getting stuff delivered by courier:) Its largely the fault of the courier tho. I always insist that my phone number is on the parcel but (some) couriers can be very thick at understanding directions. A postcode can't help these guys.

Since any courier can deliver stuff in rural areas, An Post do not have a monopoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I like having a postcode, get with the times culchies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭pmg58

amacachi wrote: »
    As far as I know all minor roads are numbered for system reasons but not for signposts. Local councils aren't meant to put the numbers on signposts but I have also noticed them doing it quite a bit lately.

They started a programme to signpost these roads a few years ago, and have been implementing it on a phased basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm well aware of the problems of getting stuff delivered by courier:) Its largely the fault of the courier tho. I always insist that my phone number is on the parcel but (some) couriers can be very thick at understanding directions. A postcode can't help these guys.

Since any courier can deliver stuff in rural areas, An Post do not have a monopoly.

A few years ago I lived in a block of flats and my flat number was 8. However I would regularly have my neighbours from number 6, 7 and 9 call over with letters for me because the postman was unable to read numbers on printed envelopes or else he just didn't f*cking care enough to do his job properly.

I don't think a postcode would have helped any in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

We don't need postcodes, another waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    We don't need postcodes, another waste of money.

Taken from http://www.irishpostcodes.ie/findoutmore.php#A4

"An Post has repeatedly stated that it does not need a Post Code system as it operates its own internal one. However, new postal services entering the market as a result of deregulation in early 2010 will need a system so that they can compete with An Post on a level playing field."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

Taken from http://www.irishpostcodes.ie/findoutmore.php#A4

"An Post has repeatedly stated that it does not need a Post Code system as it operates its own internal one. However, new postal services entering the market as a result of deregulation in early 2010 will need a system so that they can compete with An Post on a level playing field."

so as long as your stuff is being sent through an post it will still work even if there is no post code on the envelope?

• Advertisement

pmg58 wrote: »
    They started a programme to signpost these roads a few years ago, and have been implementing it on a phased basis.

Fair enough, could've sworn they weren't really meant to be signposting them but I stand corrected.

Advertisement