Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Post Codes

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Amazed at the level of uniformed opinion here. Most of you clearly have never lived in a country that has postcodes. There are dozens of things you can use them for (snail mail is of only minor importance) and they solve a lot of extant problems. I have a friend who works in GIS who explained it all to me.

The idea to use co-ordinates instead of numeric has already been successfully argued against further up.

As for the cervial smear test vs. postcodes, can't we have both? Increase the national debt if you will but we need both essential services *and* planning for the future. I just don't accept that it's OK for the country to grind to a halt because of an economic downturn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

iheard they were coming in next year.....

probly lies....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Firetrap wrote: »
    I know that there's a thing called the Geodirectory which is a joint enterprise between An Post and the Ordnance Survey. It gives every building in the country its own unique geocode.

How many of the people who reckon "we dont need postcodes because the Post office have this wonderful Geowhotsit" actually know what their Geowhotsit code is ?

How many people who reckon Lat/Lon, Grid references or Geowhotsits are an acceptable substitute for postcodes could (without looking it up) tell us the coordinates of where they live ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    How many of the people who reckon "we dont need postcodes because the Post office have this wonderful Geowhotsit" actually know what their Geowhotsit code is ?

How many people who reckon Lat/Lon, Grid references or Geowhotsits are an acceptable substitute for postcodes could (without looking it up) tell us the coordinates of where they live ?

about the same as those who can tell us their new post code thingy without looking it up

really i feel that every irish post code should start with the letters EU

just to show them that we are a serious member.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭manta356

Dankoozy wrote: »
    about the same as those who can tell us their new post code thingy without looking it up

really i feel that every irish post code should start with the letters EU

just to show them that we are a serious member.

Then on that logic ours here in Donegal should probably start with DL,cause up here we're different ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I've been waiting such a long time,
    looking out for you
    But you're not here
    What's another year?

On 15 April 2010 the tendering process to select a consultant to advise the Minister (Eamon Ryan) on the implementation of a postcode was cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

You really should have waited another year before posting a second time ;)

Yes, Minister. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,019 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ah yes, the joys of workign telephone directories and giving out rural residential numbers with a partial address. Then when you ask for somethign substantial, they give you directions. Lovely.

What do we want postcodes for? Sure we know where everywhere is. It's far too complicated simple complictaed whatever a system for us. We don't need postcodes. We're cool and cool is not having postcodes.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement