Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor 2008

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Can someone tell me if I missing something here please. Why do the judges keep going on about how great the little blonde girl is? She can't sing, she just talks the lyrics and screws up her nose a lot and if she does try to sing she does it from some weird place in the back of her nose or throat.

Is it the cutesy factor they're going for?

You mean diana, she has that strange vibe about her and i think a unique voice which is why i like her and want her to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Carroller wrote: »
    You mean diana, she has that strange vibe about her and i think a unique voice which is why i like her and want her to win.

I agree with your sentiments but I thought she slightly killed parts of her song on Saturday by being too quirky with her voice. If she can strike the right balance she will be formidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Strange vibe? You mean the ability to sing badly?

Nooo, the ability to get on stage on front of millions of viewers with no shoes and do those weird hand gestures she does and yet perform well without being phased by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Its your idea of bad

Simon was right tho, you'll either love her or hate her

What I like about her is that she doesnt have a neverending sob story
    She doesnt use any gimmicks with her performances, just a light acoustic setup
    and i like the way she carries herself when they give out her voting number, she doesnt make stupid faces beggin for votes like the rest do

And she's different. Indeed she has some issues but its the 2nd week shes sang live on TV, and shes only 17. Theres usually a big change in singers voices from 17 to 21

So any probs she has now can be sorted easily

• Advertisement

Nooo, the ability to get on stage on front of millions of viewers with no shoes and do those weird hand gestures she does and yet perform well without being phased by it.
    Ehh, she didn't perform well and she certainly wasn't un-phased by it.
    And since when does performing a song doing weird hand gestures while not wearing shoes make you talented? If that was the case well then Aslan would've been opening Live8. :rolleyes:

unreggd wrote: »
    and shes only 17.

Thats what i think is good about her..

She would pass for 20's to me with her voice and professionalism

Its your idea of bad

Simon was right tho, you'll either love her or hate her
    The only reason why the Simon and the others are saying she's so great is because she can be easily marketed which nowadays means she doesn't have to have any talent, just looking the part is enough.

What I like about her is that she doesnt have a neverending sob story
    She doesnt use any gimmicks with her performances,
    She doesn't have any gimmicks? Yeah right!! I'll let the last poster answer that one for ya...
    Carroller wrote:
    the ability to get on stage on front of millions of viewers with no shoes and do those weird hand gestures she does and yet perform well without being phased by it.
    Sounds very gimmicky to me

I said her performances have no gimmicks

and the hand and no shoes thing: thats not a gimmick

Most of the others have backing singers/bands, do big dance routines etc

but with her its just her, and her voice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Thought Saturday night's show was only ok, Alexandra and Diana were the two best imo, but I can see people soon becoming tired of Diana if she keeps singing in the same style every week. Yes Alexandra sang I'll be there in the style of Mariah Carey, but she nailed it, again though if she doesn't move away from the Whitney/Mariah type songs she'll soon become boring. Rachel gave another terrible performance, didn't seem to take too much notice of the judges comments either, I think she has a bit of an ego problem and would love to see her in the bottom two. Why did Laura sing in that strange voice for most of the song? I was watching it thinking wtf?! She pulled it together towards the end though. Ruth's first performance was only ok, but her second was great. Simon should lay off trying to get her to sing in Spanish all the time too, it's way too gimmicky, I think last week was the last time we'll see her wearing a baggy t-shirt and jeans too ;) Eoghan was meh, song choice was so predictable, I don't get all the hype around him. JLS were good and Austin wasn't bad. I'm starting to think Simon really doesn't like Scott, he picked another bad song for him this week. Girlband weren't great (I don't think having the blonde girl doing all the talking did them any favours), but Daniel really should have been the one to go.

• Advertisement

I said her performances have no gimmicks
    I know you said that but you are wrong.

and the hand and no shoes thing: thats not a gimmick
    So do you reckon she goes to the shops in her bare feet? Of course she doesn't, that's why having no shoes is a gimmick. She's being marketed as this little bohemian hippy chick type which is fine if she could actually sing but she can't, she's sh1t.

so what

Leona performed with no shoes

And she can sing

in terms of vocal power her audition was the best example

so what
    So what? It proves that it's a gimmick.

And she can sing
    Badly

It doesnt prove it

and if shes bein marketed like a hippy its cos she is like a hippy

It doesnt prove it

and if shes bein marketed like a hippy its cos she is like a hippy
    A 17 year old hippy? LOL.

I see now that you're just takin the p1ss, good on ya mate! ;)

I said she is LIKE one

I said she is LIKE one

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

She doesn't have any gimmicks? Yeah right!! I'll let the last poster answer that one for ya...

Sounds very gimmicky to me

Maybe she's not too comfortable on stage and afraid she'll trip over? That's apparently why Joss Stone never wears shoes on stage.

Maybe she's not too comfortable on stage and afraid she'll trip over? That's apparently why Joss Stone never wears shoes on stage.

That was the reason she said in the first live show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Who says she owes u a reply?

If a statement is made then it is nice to have it backed up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

I think Diana is brutal to be honest. I have not heard one song from her that really stands out, her voice is all over the place. She may have potential, but she better start performing at a higher level very soon.

Did anyone else hear Simons ' Im sick getting of this' (or something)comment when he mixed up Rachels name. I reckon he is starting to really get fed up of the poor performances. the format of the show needs serious tweeking.

This is my assessment of the leftovers.

Out the back door please: Ricky Gervais,
    Thanks for trying:Rachel, Austin, Diana, Ruth
    Close, but no cigar: Laura, Scott
    Potential winners: Alexandra, Eoghan, JLS

Eoghan & JLS potential winners?

Im sorry but they've nothin goin for them apart from gettin votes from stupid teenage girls

they both have average voices, and they're not original at all

its only week 2, see wha happens

Niki had 2 amazin performances last year, then was downhill after that

This is my assessment of the leftovers.

Out the back door please: Ricky Gervais,
    Thanks for trying:Rachel, Austin, Diana, Ruth
    Close, but no cigar: Laura, Scott
    Potential winners: Alexandra, Eoghan, JLS

Oh this looks like fun!:D

Out the back door please: Daniel & Scott
    Thanks for trying: Eoghan & JLS
    Close, but no cigar: Diana & Austin
    Dark Horse: Ruth (I know I know, I am shameless in my support:p)
    Potential Winners: Alexandra & Laura

I agree about Ruth bein a Dark Horse

singing purple rain made it obvious she'd go far with good song choices

Next week will be defining, for the whole competition

I agree about Ruth bein a Dark Horse

singing purple rain made it obvious she'd go far with good song choices

Next week will be defining, for the whole competition

I've always said picking the right songs is more than half the battle. That's why I find it perplexing how the judges can get it wrong so many times. I agree about the next week being interesting as things could look clearer.

And I totally agree about JLS. I find it comical how Louis Walsh refers to them as a band in the vein of Motown. The haven't got the soul or the power in their voice, they are more Backstreet Boys than Motown.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 silverhillgirl

See Dannii Minogues face when Girls Aloud were on stage - she looked like a pitbull licking piss off a nettle!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

See Dannii Minogues face when Girls Aloud were on stage - she looked like a pitbull licking piss off a nettle!!!

Better than her usual tranny look really.

janeybabe wrote: »
    Better than her usual tranny look really.

I am shocked missus.:eek::P That's harsh, most women will look like a tranny standing beside Cheryl.:pac:

*I'm sure the botox has played its part.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I am shocked missus.:eek::P That's harsh, most women will look like a tranny standing beside Cheryl.:pac:

*I'm sure the botox has played its part.:D

Yeah and the tranny make up. Especially in the parts before they sing.

• Advertisement

janeybabe wrote: »
    Yeah and the tranny make up. Especially in the parts before they sing.

Meh, give me Dannii over Sharon any day.:p:pac: But I know what you mean about the parts before her acts sing with the close-up, let that be a lesson to all you women about the perils of botox!

Advertisement