Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor 2008

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Its weird

the stress of feelin old next to Cheryl is makin her look old

she was a cracker last year!

I hate the way she's tryin to be the new Sharon, siding with Louis, calling him Lou-lou etc

and her over-dramatic laughter and comments

I still would :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

LZ5by5 wrote: »

And I totally agree about JLS. I find it comical how Louis Walsh refers to them as a band in the vein of Motown. The haven't got the soul or the power in their voice, they are more Backstreet Boys than Motown.

yeah, but being the last band, they are going to mop up all thoise votes, and they have a 'cheeky lad' attitude that will go a long way. Its more about votes then talent at the moment. The better singers could get knocked out if the rub the public up the wrong way or have a bad week. God knows how rachel has survived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Anyone else notice how Louis Walsh is always so very excited when JLS is performing he is jumping out of his sit, clapping and woo hooing them :P

BTW Diana looks like Nicole from Home and Away

Diana always has that annoying hand action going on and her hair is a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

NOEL GALLAGHER - NOEL GALLAGHER: X FACTOR IS ABOUT BIGGEST SOB STORY
    Oasis' Noel Gallagher has joked about the frequency with which X Factor contestants relate 'sob stories' in their auditions.

A number of hopefuls on the new series of the ITV1 show have told the judges of tragic incidents from their lives.

Daniel Evans reduced judge Cheryl Cole to tears as he told of his wife dying in childbirth while former drug addict Rachel Hylton admitted that three of her five children had been taken into care.

Speaking at a press conference ahead of Oasis' sold-out Wembley Arena shows, Gallagher said he would never deny the value of the X Factor in handing young people a chance to better themselves.

But he added: "It's about who's got the biggest sob story this year.

"It's a bit s***e really, to be honest," he added.

"'Oh, my f*****g god, my cat died, and his outstretched paw was pointing to an X, so I'm going to sing What's New Pussycat!" Gallagher joked.

"Do us a f*****g favour, get a proper job!"

And overly-emotional X Factor contestants were not the only target of the songwriter's ire, as he added: "When Simon Cowell says: 'You're what this show is all about, it's all about you', it's not, it's about him!"

Oasis recently announced an extensive UK stadium tour in 2009, including shows at Manchester's Heaton Park, the Stadium of Light in Sunderland and Wembley Stadium.

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/noel%20gallagher%20x%20factor%20is%20about%20biggest%20sob%20story_1083928

He's spot on, the two episodes where they were at all of the judges houses was absolutely shocking; every single act was crying about something. I hate to sound cynical but it's really starting to wear thin.

Now Noel Gallagher would be a good judge on the show :p

Yes i agree with him he is spot on there should be no sob stories/hard luck stories

• Advertisement

Another reason Im rooting for Diana

no sob story!

I actually dont mind the sob story once its backed up with good talent, like Niki Evans last year

Agreed. Now if Daniel had a strong voice then I would root for him but this should be primarily about talent. Even Leon last year had something in terms of talent and if moulded correctly, he could create a niche for himself in the market.

I just hate seeing it, it's gotten to the point where I doubt the sincerity of some of the sob stories and I'm beginning to suspect that some contestants are more than aware what a sob story can do for them.

Yeah, like yer man this year lyin about not knowin his parents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Artists such as who?

Britney Spears
    Beyonce
    50 Cent
    Westlife
    Boyzone
    Spice Girls
    Mariah Carey
    Ashlee Simpson
    Justin Timberlake

Seriously.... Did you really need examples for me to back up a statement?? Plenty of artists lip sync all the time. I'm sure Girls Aloud have done it as well. My point was... It's good to see a group who are willing to sing live.. on a live show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Agreed. Now if Daniel had a strong voice then I would root for him but this should be primarily about talent. Even Leon last year had something in terms of talent and if moulded correctly, he could create a niche for himself in the market.

I just hate seeing it, it's gotten to the point where I doubt the sincerity of some of the sob stories and I'm beginning to suspect that some contestants are more than aware what a sob story can do for them.

I know this is why Ruth was getting such a mixed reception as her story was never really told..
    Daniel annoyed me honestly I feel sad for him but PLEASE every song from his 1st audition to Danni's house was a sad song it was awful like he was just using his dead wife for sympathy which he certainly got....

• Advertisement

I think Daniel should be voted off the competition. He's not a strong enough singer and his performances have only been average.

I agree that sob stories are a total pain. People only get in because the judges are too soft to say no to a sob story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Britney Spears
    Beyonce
    50 Cent
    Westlife
    Boyzone
    Spice Girls
    Mariah Carey
    Ashlee Simpson
    Justin Timberlake

Seriously.... Did you really need examples for me to back up a statement?? Plenty of artists lip sync all the time. I'm sure Girls Aloud have done it as well. My point was... It's good to see a group who are willing to sing live.. on a live show!

Well to be honest I think it's pretty much spoken for that you can't lip synch on a talent show and especially since of the members of the group judges people on that show on there singing talent..

If GA did mime it would be awful but then again I wish Cheryl would have she was awful....

Oh this looks like fun!:D

Out the back door please: Daniel & Scott
    Thanks for trying: Eoghan & JLS
    Close, but no cigar: Diana & Austin
    Dark Horse: Ruth (I know I know, I am shameless in my support:p)
    Potential Winners: Alexandra & Laura

Out the back door please: Daniel & Scott
    Thanks for trying: Eoghan
    Close, but no cigar: Diana & JLS
    Dark Horse: Austin
    Potential Winners: Alexandra & Laura & Ruth

The best singer in Girls Aloud is Nicola, but unfortunately she gets shoved to the back

In fairness to Cheryl, it must have been tough

Yes, shes the weakest singer in GA anyways, but she wouldnt have had as much time to rehearse. And she's performing in front of her co-workers, and a whole load of other people she knows personally

U could hear how shaky her voice was, but it was in a nervous way

Ya I agree with that. I just think that it's great that they sang live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Ya I agree with that. I just think that it's great that they sang live.

Sorry but I think the argument of "ah sure they tried, its more than others do." is a bit redundant when you're dealing with someone who is not only making millions off her music but is now in the position of deciding peoples fate in this competition.

Referring to Girls Aloud as a studio group simply means that they can't sing well without lots of producing. We could all sound fantastic with lots of producing for god's sake. It's not real. And if they want to justify their crap live performances by putting themselves in that "studio" genre, then they shouldn't be performing live at all, much less charging huge amounts of money for it.

The people who perform on that stage are far, far more talented than Cheryl will ever be and the people can rightly discuss how wrong it is for her opinion to be one of the deciding factors in their fate.

Now, back on-topic,

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/xfactor/a133227/x-factor-accused-of-being-anti-muslim.html
    digitalspy wrote:
    Security has been increased on The X Factor amid claims by militant Omar Bakri that the show is anti-Muslim.

The preacher voiced his opinions after learning that this year's contestants are recording a charity single called 'Hero' to help British soldiers injured in conflict, according to The Sun.

Bakri, who reportedly warned Sir Paul McCartney that the "sacrifice operatives will be waiting for him" should he play a concert in Israel, told Muslims not to wear Help For Heroes wristbands or to buy or sell the show's charity single.

The 50-year-old, exiled to Lebanon in 2005, claimed on a website that the show is drumming up hatred and warned of the "dangerous implications" should his words be ignored.

"Some people may find excuses for those people, ignorance and so on. If after three days, if they continue, you are barred from these people and their deeds. Even watching the show - those people are committing a form, a type, of muadaat (hatred). And that action is a form of kufr (non-belief)," he said.

A show source said the issue was being taken "very seriously" and that CID and anti-terrorism officers had been called in. "We are in the process of discussing extra security measures for Saturday night’s live show," the source added.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    the people can rightly discuss how wrong it is for her opinion to be one of the deciding factors in their fate

Simon and Louis and Sharon cant sing

Its not about being talented, its about Industry experience

Sure any of us could be a judge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I missed the results show Saturday night, so I went searching for Ruth's "Purple Rain" on YouTube and all the videos had been removed.

Damn Prince and his copyright obsession. :mad:

TV3.ie are showing the full episodes, including the results :)

I missed the results show Saturday night, so I went searching for Ruth's "Purple Rain" on YouTube and all the videos had been removed.

Damn Prince and his copyright obsession. :mad:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8200491427267805145&ei=-S3_SMrSLoT22gLE24mVDA&q=ruth+lorenzo+purple+rain

;)

• Advertisement

Security has been increased on The X Factor amid claims by militant Omar Bakri that the show is anti-Muslim.

The preacher voiced his opinions after learning that this year's contestants are recording a charity single called 'Hero' to help British soldiers injured in conflict, according to The Sun.

Bakri, who reportedly warned Sir Paul McCartney that the "sacrifice operatives will be waiting for him" should he play a concert in Israel, told Muslims not to wear Help For Heroes wristbands or to buy or sell the show's charity single.

The 50-year-old, exiled to Lebanon in 2005, claimed on a website that the show is drumming up hatred and warned of the "dangerous implications" should his words be ignored.

"Some people may find excuses for those people, ignorance and so on. If after three days, if they continue, you are barred from these people and their deeds. Even watching the show - those people are committing a form, a type, of muadaat (hatred). And that action is a form of kufr (non-belief)," he said.

A show source said the issue was being taken "very seriously" and that CID and anti-terrorism officers had been called in. "We are in the process of discussing extra security measures for Saturday night’s live show," the source added.

So X Factor is broadcast in Lebanon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Wow. I was expecting it to be good, but I wasn't expecting it to be that good. That was a spectacular performance! Of course, she shouldn't have had to sing it because she should never have been in the bottom 2 in the first place. (I watched her performance of the Michael Jackson song and it was quite good)
    She definitely deserves to go far in this contest.

Was it Simon who put it to deadlock? He only did that to make things more dramatic - if Ruth had gone, he would have kicked himself afterwards.

I dont think he wanted the drama, he was just bein a spitefull prick

it was all very "neh neh I told ye so"

He just keep contradicting himself

He said before they performed that "we actually do decide on the performance we're about to see"
    But he voted off Ruth cos she didnt listen to him, and because Girlband ignored Louis

that, and all his "copycat" hypocrasy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

I don't get why Simon wants her to sing in Spanish all the time. Its just a gimic. It makes no sense when singers like Shakira have to sing in English to reach a mass market? i personally thought Ruth's performance of purple rain was fantastic, I can't fathom why she was in the bottom two while that twat scott was put through!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

anyone else think that Diana has one of the most captivating and unique voices ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

No. I really don't see why there is so much hype around her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

anyone else think that Diana has one of the most captivating and unique voices ever?

....in the X Factor, yes. I hope she wins because she's different to people like Leona Lewis last year and Alexandra this year. I'm sure there's a word for what she does with her voice but I don't know it - it's like instead of singing the note she goes up in pitch slightly and then down again...I just love it! Thought she didn't quite nail With or Without You but Man in the Mirror was brilliant. I hope she sings Nothing Compares 2 U next week like she did in boot camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Amazing performance. I would love Ruth if she wasn't such an over-emotional dramatic twat. Before she made the live show she never shut up about being Spanish "oh...I'm spanish so people wont accept me boo hoo". And it doesnt help with Simon having some obsession with her having to sing in spanish every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

....in the X Factor, yes. I hope she wins because she's different to people like Leona Lewis last year and Alexandra this year. I'm sure there's a word for what she does with her voice but I don't know it - it's like instead of singing the note she goes up in pitch slightly and then down again...I just love it! Thought she didn't quite nail With or Without You but Man in the Mirror was brilliant. I hope she sings Nothing Compares 2 U next week like she did in boot camp.

Yeh she has the same heart warming qualities as lisa hannigan. if she was to win i hope they keep her this way and dont try and change her for the "puplic" if ya get me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I'm sure there's a word for what she does with her voice but I don't know it

Warbling?

I seriously dislike her, I think anything she sings will sound the same.

Advertisement