Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPEG4 tests - Not a Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Forget to mention I'm in Nenagh, just incase anyone is wondering about signal in the area.

According to my tv, we are getting 55/100 signal and 5 error bits out of 10. This is from an aerial in the attic so I think it's pretty good, seeing as we don't get nearly as good analogue signal :D

Are subtitles supposed to work with the DTT trial ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Are subtitles supposed to work with the DTT trial ?

Not all the time. Get a booster/amp and it will stabilise the signal. Something as simple as a Philex SLX1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

STB wrote: »
    Not all the time. Get a booster/amp and it will stabilise the signal. Something as simple as a Philex SLX1

We have one of those already, to originally improve our analogue signal :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

DAB stations appear to be off the service at the moment, EPG info was still there for them weirdly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

MYOB wrote: »
    DAB stations appear to be off the service at the moment, EPG info was still there for them weirdly.

Gone for a week now, and like you say the EPG then started to work. If you do a retune though, you will probably find they don't register at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gfinn

As of last night there was no TV or DAB from Woodcock Hill. I read on another thread that there's nothing from Mullaganish either.
    I get a high signal measurement so it looks like the signal is there but there's no transmission.
    Does anybody still have DTT?

gfinn wrote: »
    As of last night there was no TV or DAB from Woodcock Hill. I read on another thread that there's nothing from Mullaganish either.
    I get a high signal measurement so it looks like the signal is there but there's no transmission.
    Does anybody still have DTT?

A lot of sites seem to have local technical or weather related problems but I can say it's been OK at Holywell Hill so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gfinn

Thanks, at least it hasn't been turned off altogether.

sesswhat wrote: »
    Gone for a week now, and like you say the EPG then started to work. If you do a retune though, you will probably find they don't register at all.

Correct. My Sagem Picnic box told me there were new services available and to rescan. I foolishly said yes and the DAB stations are now gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

Karsini wrote: »
    I foolishly said yes and the DAB stations are now gone.
    Wouldn't have made any difference if you didn't. The DAB channels are gone everywhere (?), and when / if they come back, you can rescan and get them back. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭newleaf

I've been getting RTE's DTT test transmissions for the past few days on Panasonic HD Ready TV, in Arklow, but they disappeared tonight. Were these coming from Mount Leinster? RTE website not very informative. Quality mostly good. Wonder can I expect them back soon.

No sound or pictures on any channel this evening from Holywell Hill. Its a sagem picnic box. It is still receiving a good signal, although not quite as strong as usual.

When I did a rescan it registered the 9 channels but just called them Service 1101 to 1105 for the TV and Service 1226 to 1229 for the radio.

UK Freeview is working as normal so it seems RTENL are having a bit of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

No sound or pictures on any channel this evening from Holywell Hill. Its a sagem picnic box. It is still receiving a good signal, although not quite as strong as usual.

When I did a rescan it registered the 9 channels but just called them Service 1101 to 1105 for the TV and Service 1226 to 1229 for the radio.

UK Freeview is working as normal so it seems RTENL are having a bit of fun.

I haven't been receiving anything from Holywell for a while now - I too tried a rescan and got the same as you sesswhat. Is there a problem? I have a new-ish TV but I definitely had these stations at Xmas on this TV so I presume it's nothing to do with that?

Domscard wrote: »
    I haven't been receiving anything from Holywell for a while now - I too tried a rescan and got the same as you sesswhat. Is there a problem? I have a new-ish TV but I definitely had these stations at Xmas on this TV so I presume it's nothing to do with that?

There's a limit to what a STB or TV can tell us. A laptop with a DTT tuner might give more information about the signal but for now I'll just try scanning from time to time.

The Letterkenny (Raphoe) transmitter is among a batch which they seem to be working through at the minute so we can keep an eye out for that as well.

(Did you used to be a radio station by the way;) )

There's a limit to what a STB or TV can tell us. A laptop with a DTT tuner might give more information about the signal but for now I'll just try scanning from time to time.

The Letterkenny (Raphoe) transmitter is among a batch which they seem to be working through at the minute so we can keep an eye out for that as well.

(Did you used to be a radio station by the way;) )

Eh? :D Not to my knowledge. I lost my access to my username here after the crash but I'm waiting to be TUNED in again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Technique

I was enjoying my DTT from Holywell Hill up until a few weeks ago.

Is it usual for this test service to go down for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

It's not uncommon for it to disappear every so often....

Technique wrote: »

It's a bit of relief to know that others are experiencing this - I was beginning to think I'd done something wrong :o Hope it comes back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Technique wrote: »

Not unusual, Mullaghanish has been down since early Jan - possible ice damage and lightning damage.

Also this from RTÉNL
    These test transmissions will operate for varying durations and are subject to regular variations and prolonged interruptions. The test transmissions will cease in the majority of areas once testing is complete.

http://www.rtenl.ie/dtt.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Signal gone very weak in Tullow before that I was enjoying a nice picture on a new LED Samsung UE40B7020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

The friggers in RTE have switched off TV3 in Dublin and put on a test card, talk about mugging the competition!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

John Dough wrote: »
    The friggers in RTE have switched off TV3 in Dublin and put on a test card, talk about mugging the competition!!!

RTENL are separate from RTE.

TV3 is **** anyway.

Bob_Harris wrote: »

TV3 is **** anyway.

Sorry your incorrect there mate same parent

TV3 is miles better with access to much better programs than RTE its just a habit with most people to watch RTE junk.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The service hasn't launched yet, there in an engineering test phase. TG4 was down last week.
    These test transmissions will operate for varying durations and are subject to regular variations and prolonged interruptions. The test transmissions will cease in the majority of areas once testing is complete.

Permanent transmissions will not commence until the service is formally launched by the broadcasters.

Under no circumstances should the test transmissions be considered an operational service.

http://www.rtenl.ie/dtt.htm
    Bob_Harris wrote: »

From the RTÉ & RTÉNL websites
    Organisational Structure:
    The The Board of RTÉ is charged by the Irish Government with overseeing the activities of the RTÉ Group. The Director-General reports directly to the Board of RTÉ.

The RTÉ Executive manages RTÉ's Integrated Business Divisions (IBDs) and the Group's Shared Services (Finance, Internal Audit, Human Resources, Communications, Legal Affairs, Technology) on a day-to-day basis.

The six IBDs:

RTÉ Television
    RTÉ Radio
    RTÉ News and Current Affairs
    RTÉ Performing Groups
    RTÉ Publishing
    RTÉNL (Network)
    • RTÉNL was incorporated in the Republic of Ireland on 10 December 2002. Its principal activity is the construction and operation of transmission network assets in Ireland. The Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of RTÉ.

• RTÉNL purchased the assets (see RTÉ's Annual Report 2003 for further information) and contracts of the transmission business. A separate Board of Directors was appointed to oversee its operation.

• RTÉNL initiated a Tariff Model in January 2003. RTÉ (Television and Radio) and TG4 have entered into contracts and a pricing structure derived from this Tariff Model. Pre-existing contracts with TV3 and Today FM remain in place. On expiry all future negotiations with said parties shall be based on this Tariff Model.

Yes we know it is a test but seems a bit coincidental to me as to why they would take one channel off and put on a test card when this mux has already been fully tested!!
    Something stinks methinks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I am missing TV3 digital since last Thursday. I get reception from Woodcock Hill and Maghera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭mossie

Yes we know it is a test but seems a bit coincidental to me as to why they would take one channel off and put on a test card when this mux has already been fully tested!!
    Something stinks methinks!!!

Maybe it was at TV3's request for some reason?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Signal strength at 3 Rock really poor this morning. It may be atmospherics- can't pick up BBC Radio 4 on Longwave either (thank god for satellite radio). I guess its the same as Dublin City FM being totally dead on the Quays last night.....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

smccarrick wrote: »
    Signal strength at 3 Rock really poor this morning. It may be atmospherics- can't pick up BBC Radio 4 on Longwave either (thank god for satellite radio). I guess its the same as Dublin City FM being totally dead on the Quays last night.....?
    There's work going on at the moment, affecting DTT, MHEG-5 Aertel and DAB Digital Radio.

BBC Reception is probably atmospherics alright.

DCFM signal is always dodgy at the best of times, never as strong as the other Dublin stations off Three Rock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

DCFM allocated transmission power is 250w whereas the commercials are 2KW or more.

Advertisement