Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPEG4 tests - Not a Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

No TV3, Back to ITV and E4 then for me for my programming that TV3 show.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭simatoel

No TV3 on the DTT. seems suspicious alright. Just cancelled my SKY sub, I have a Edision combi freesat box (Satellite and DTT), so I have RTE digital and all the free astra sat stations on one EPG, plus all ITV and ITV and BBC high def. All free. Just used the old SKY dish, no installation. The six nations matchs were awesome in HD. I'll need to get TV3 back though, unless I can sell the idea of Coronation st on ITV as a substitute. I hope this isn't some kind of standoff between TV3 and RTENL. It would be a mess to have to change between the freeview and an analogue TV3 signal. i'm not paying Sky almost 400 pa for one channel. Been paying them for 9 years now for 99% RTE viewing, as my analogue signal is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

simatoel wrote: »
    No TV3 on the DTT. seems suspicious alright. Just cancelled my SKY sub, I have a Edision combi freesat box (Satellite and DTT), so I have RTE digital and all the free astra sat stations on one EPG, plus all ITV and ITV and BBC high def. All free. Just used the old SKY dish, no installation. The six nations matchs were awesome in HD. I'll need to get TV3 back though, unless I can sell the idea of Coronation st on ITV as a substitute. I hope this isn't some kind of standoff between TV3 and RTENL. It would be a mess to have to change between the freeview and an analogue TV3 signal. i'm not paying Sky almost 400 pa for one channel. Been paying them for 9 years now for 99% RTE viewing, as my analogue signal is poor.

It will likely return soon. this has happened before during the tests and didnt last for more than 10 days or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

When DTT is officially launched you will get minimum of RTÉ, TV3 and TG4.

The tests are not completed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

DTT Signal seems to be gone from 3Rock at the moment. It's been a while since that happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

HappyHarry wrote: »
    DTT Signal seems to be gone from 3Rock at the moment. It's been a while since that happened.

On Mt Leinster the signal is there but it's just a blank picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭dunleas

nothing from Spur Hill today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Just came back right now. There was silence in the house then all of a sudden I could hear people talking. Scared the ba-jesus out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 felimmcmahon

Happily receiving RTE NL channels in Cabra, Dublin on 794 and also the lower frequency until today. All gone now. Last check 15h00. Story?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

All seem to be dead as a doornail - Three Rock and Greystones have no carrier signal. Tests must be suspended for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭mrdtv2010

fat-tony wrote: »
    All seem to be dead as a doornail - Three Rock and Greystones have no carrier signal. Tests must be suspended for some reason.

These are just 'tests' not a 'service' They could return at any time or not which is why any kit purchases needs to either a) view the purchase as a writeoff or b) be part of a wider digital system eg combos, T2, analogue, MPEG2. If they return soon then its just standard engineering interruptions and if they don't its cost saving or project suspension. We'll see in due course. PS sorry about your BP null result due to your low lying location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 felimmcmahon

Happy to report returned service in Cabra, Dublin on 794 frequency:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

RTÉ News Now seems to be broadcasting a full picture with no banners or tickers. I do hope this is permanent.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    RTÉ News Now seems to be broadcasting a full picture with no banners or tickers. I do hope this is permanent.

It's showing RTÉ One.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭simatoel

They may be tests but theres no danger of the final configuration changing before launch. My RTE source tells me what you see now is what you will get, 4 channels, news channels and dig radio. I can't see the big retailers selling "irish DTT ready" sets if they were likely to be redundant. Whats not certain is the coding standard for subscription channels, which are now up in the air. this would not be an issue for existing TVs or Sat boxes as most have CI slots which can take the appropriate module and subscription card whenever pay DTT happens. Buy the Kit, enjoy the (free)view!

They may be tests but theres no danger of the final configuration changing before launch. My RTE source tells me what you see now is what you will get, 4 channels, news channels and dig radio.
    I hope they change one thing. Bump the resolution back up to 720x576 and stop being stingy!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

I am getting all except TG4 from CH, UHF47

I hope they will transmit HD service like BBC HD of the 6 Nations and World Cup on the 2nd Mux for testing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

My RTE source tells me what you see now is what you will get, 4 channels, news channels and dig radio.

Can you ask them do they ever plan to share this information directly with the people that pay their salaries?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

sesswhat wrote: »
    Can you ask them do they ever plan to share this information directly with the people that pay their salaries?

They will tell us when it's an official service. They have no obligation to do so until then. The variation in the DTT service will doubtless continue until then. At this moment in time I have every channel except TG4, and the EPG is intermittent on the TV channels, and won't go off on the radio. - Woodcock Hill via PS3 / PlayTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

At this rate it'll be 2022 before we get HD.

I'm getting all the channels X 3 in Meath with an engineering test where TV3 should be - no loss, and no problem with TG4 here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

They will tell us when it's an official service. They have no obligation to do so until then. The variation in the DTT service will doubtless continue until then. At this moment in time I have every channel except TG4, and the EPG is intermittent on the TV channels, and won't go off on the radio. - Woodcock Hill via PS3 / PlayTV.

Read it again.
    ..what you see now is what you will get..

In other words they are claiming the content of the official service has been decided. If this is the case, do you not think we are entitled to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

sesswhat wrote: »
    In other words they are claiming the content of the official service has been decided. If this is the case, do you not think we are entitled to know?
    Until it is 100% finalised, committed to paper and has the required signs on the appropriate lines, they cannot comment on anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Ah for fecks sake RTE 1 is gone to colour bars and TG4 is gone again too

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

TG4 is replaced with a test card here. RTÉ One is now colour bars but RTÉ One is also being shown on the RTÉ News Now channel. TV3 back on

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Earlier from tree rock, TV3 was a RTE NL Test card!
    Actually I could get some DTT RTE without the wideband aerial connected.
    I notice that the RTE News now appears a bit blury! on the bravia.
    Crazy that RTE NL are only looking at relaying 4 channels and Radio
    They should be encouraged to relay maybe RTE 1 + 1 or Setanta Ireland or DCTV or heck if they have the bandwidth 3e and city channel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

petronius wrote: »
    Earlier from tree rock, TV3 was a RTE NL Test card!
    Actually I could get some DTT RTE without the wideband aerial connected.
    I notice that the RTE News now appears a bit blury! on the bravia.
    Crazy that RTE NL are only looking at relaying 4 channels and Radio
    They should be encouraged to relay maybe RTE 1 + 1 or Setanta Ireland or DCTV or heck if they have the bandwidth 3e and city channel

RTE News is a web feed.

Its a public service Mux not commercial.

DCTV nationwide ????

STB wrote: »
    RTE News is a web feed.

Its a public service Mux not commercial.

DCTV nationwide ????

What is DCTV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Souriau wrote: »
    What is DCTV?

Dave Harveys group of community TV stations. DCTV is the Dublin one. Its on cable.

STB wrote: »
    Dave Harveys group of community TV stations. DCTV is the Dublin one. Its on cable.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Actually, DCTV has nothing to do with Dave Harvey. The channel Mr. Harvey is connected with is City Channel. DCTV is a community channel (like community radio stations). See www.dctv.ie and www.citychannel.ie

Advertisement