Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPEG4 tests - Not a Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

The channel label on that channel is now back to RTENL, it was TV3 for a time today.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭simatoel

marclt wrote: »
    But, if the multiplex is running anyway, how much would it cost to show TV3?

If a test card is running, they are obviously broadcasting sound and vision, albeit at the lowest possible bitrate.

And why don't they do the same thing with TG4?

Of course they could broadcast TV3 instead of a test card, and the extra data over the links is trivial. In terms of TV3 not paying, the goverment is the one who decided that the 4 ststions should go free to air digital, and analogue should cease, so its hard to expect some one pay a huge amount for an alternative means of transport. TV3 are staying silent on this. here's their reply to a query:

Q:Do you know why TV3 has been removed from the test digtal service. I have a poor analogue TV3 signal, so I was very happy with the quality of the DTT signal, though I know its strictly only in the test stage,. all the RTE signals are there 24/7. I know the minister indicated that DTT service should start by October of this year, but will this include TV3? When is it likely to return on the test transmissions?

A: As you have said in your mail, the DTT service is only in test. This is solely run by RTE and TV3 has no control over when our signal goes to test. When the service is fully launched TV3 will be on DTT. Generally our signal goes on test for a week at a time.
    Regards,

Niall

Sent: Thu 08/04/2010 14:41
    To: info
    Subject: question re Digital reception

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

simatoel wrote: »
    Of course they could broadcast TV3 instead of a test card, and the extra data over the links is trivial. In terms of TV3 not paying, the goverment is the one who decided that the 4 ststions should go free to air digital, and analogue should cease, so its hard to expect some one pay a huge amount for an alternative means of transport. TV3 are staying silent on this. here's their reply to a query:

Q:Do you know why TV3 has been removed from the test digtal service. I have a poor analogue TV3 signal, so I was very happy with the quality of the DTT signal, though I know its strictly only in the test stage,. all the RTE signals are there 24/7. I know the minister indicated that DTT service should start by October of this year, but will this include TV3? When is it likely to return on the test transmissions?

A: As you have said in your mail, the DTT service is only in test. This is solely run by RTE and TV3 has no control over when our signal goes to test. When the service is fully launched TV3 will be on DTT. Generally our signal goes on test for a week at a time.
    Regards,

Niall

Sent: Thu 08/04/2010 14:41
    To: info
    Subject: question re Digital reception

Well simatoel that answers your questions. The TV3 answer is as predicted.
    You mean us of course the poor unfortunate licence payer.

And I suppose its RTE's responsibility to get some kind of return from that investment. Obviously the cost to any other PSB OR Commercial station with PSB conditions attached to their licence to get on the multiplex will not be zero.

As if there isnt enough stuff out there that the taxpayer has to pay for without some sort of commercial contribution!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

John Dough wrote: »
    According to current E.U. legislation all national channels should be FTA ...

Please no replies about rights issues as its bull***t.

perhaps a bucketful of emails complaining to the regulator would put some pressure on the powers that be!!;)

There is no EU regulation that I know of that requires national broadcasters to be FTA, can you link to it? There is a regulation whereby you can legally receive the overspill FTA terrestrial or satellite broadcasts and our authorities cannot restrict your reception of these broadcasts (unless under certain conditions). Regulations for national broadcasters are decided by the national governments and regulators in the first instance thru legislation or licence.

Rights issues may be bull***t but thay are a fact of life e.g. Champions League, U.S. movies and TV series to name but a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

The E.U. broadcast legislation is on their website just google it mate.

• Advertisement

Regardless of EU legislation what you should be referring to is the Broadcasting Act 2009.

It is RTE's job to ensure a national television multiplex is established, maintained and operated by RTE under section 114(1)(i) including "such other television services, having the character of a public service, as may be designated by the Minister by order".

Section 130 b(I) of that Act states that on such date as may be specified by the Minister by order, (the national multiplex) is operational and available free-to-air to approximately 90 per cent of the population.

What will your complaint to "the regulator" be ?

So you are unable to post a link to support your statement.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

STB wrote: »
    on such date as may be specified by the Minister by order, (the national multiplex) is operational and available free-to-air to approximately 90 per cent of the population.

Particular S.I. (No. 85 of 2010) declaring this date (31-10-2010) is now available to view in electronic format.

Link: http://www.attorneygeneral.ie/esi/2010/B27488.pdf

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Particular S.I. (No. 85 of 2010) declaring this date (31-10-2010) is now available to view in electronic format.

Link: http://www.attorneygeneral.ie/esi/2010/B27488.pdf

Thanks for that Mayo Exile. Its been on the Dept of Comms website for a few weeks now (info posted by scath)

The Cush wrote: »
    Thanks for that Mayo Exile. Its been on the Dept of Comms website for a few weeks now (info posted by scath)

No problem. Was unaware another poster already had the PDF version up.

• Advertisement

The TV3 placeholder testcard has a bit of Irish text added today Tarchur Digiteach (Digital Transmission).

Also since Friday the channel name RTÉNL has the É missing, now appear as RTNL, about the same time the RTÉ 2 channel name received its fada, previously displayed as RTE 2.

Edit: Today Tuesday the text on the test card is now Digiteach (Digital) only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

RTÉ 1 doesn't show up properly for me for some reason, I think it's the fada causing it. The fada's show up fine on small letters on the TG 4 EPG information, but not on the capitals. I now fully expect the channels to be called RT1 and RT2 now...! :rolleyes:

RTÉ 1 doesn't show up properly for me for some reason, I think it's the fada causing it. The fada's show up fine on small letters on the TG 4 EPG information, but not on the capitals. I now fully expect the channels to be called RT1 and RT2 now...! :rolleyes:

My Sony dispays the fada correctly when transmitted. I think some TVs, LG come to mind, may have a problem with accents, maybe changing the country setting to Ireland or other or international might work. Maybe a software update, my brother recently carried out a software update on his new Philips TV which sorted out some niggles, can't be specific as to what exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭simatoel

Problems with accents and fadas would only affect the text and EPG decoder of a TV set, text which is part of the transmitted image (even a test card) would not be affected by region, language and decoder issues in a set. The Edision STB which has a DTT MPEG4 decoder suitable for irish DTT resolves the RTE EPG almost perfectly, but gets into trouble with program names which have fadas, especially the TG4 program list. The Samsung EPG seems fine on RTE test transmissions. This is a minor issue though, I would happily lose the EPG for an actual transmission, such as TV3, instead of that darned test card. Champions league on tonight, and it's not on ITV, so I'll have to watch the rubbish analogue TV3 signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

My LG already has been 'upgraded' to the latest software... ;) and it is already set for Ireland instead of UK so I can have the DTT channels in whatever order I want instead of the set UK numbers with the ROI DTT channels in the 800's. Still no fada's on capital letters, only small ones.

The fada's show correctly on a cheapo DTT receiver built into a bog standard Acoustic Solutions LCD TV, but it's only a MPEG 2 decoder, so sound only. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

The Cush wrote: »
    My Sony dispays the fada correctly when transmitted. I think some TVs, LG come to mind, may have a problem with accents,

Yes My LG LF7700 does not show the fada correctly
    while the Humax is showing it perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

My LG doesn't show the fada on the TV channels, but displays perfectly on RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Bazzer2 wrote: »
    My LG doesn't show the fada on the TV channels, but displays perfectly on RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta!
    Oh yeah, you're right - same on my LG!

byte wrote: »
    Oh yeah, you're right - same on my LG!

Same here on my LG,
    Strange when it is not on RTÉ Radio 1, RTÉ 2FM and RTÉ Lyric but only show correctly on RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta!

Souriau wrote: »
    Same here on my LG,
    Strange when it is not on RTÉ Radio 1, RTÉ 2FM and RTÉ Lyric but only show correctly on RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta!

I'm not 100% sure but is there a flag in the DVB stream which specifies the channel's language? Could that have something to do with it?

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure but is there a flag in the DVB stream which specifies the channel's language? Could that have something to do with it?

Yes I agree, even though I don't have the problem with the fadas on my Sony the the info banner identifies TG4 and RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio as Gaeilge 2/0. All the other channels display audio as English 2/0.

RTE1 is broadcasting with the fada in caps.

RTE2 is not broadcasting a fada at all, from what I can see (on a Clarketech HD 5000c).

STB wrote: »
    RTE2 is not broadcasting a fada at all, from what I can see (on a Clarketech HD 5000c).

Up to about last Friday the fada in RTÉ 2 was missing but is now present, at about the same time the RTÉNL placeholder channel name for TV3 has the É missing - now displayed as RTNL. (previously posted here)

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

I'm living in the North and have been receiving a very good RTE signal from RTE1,2 TV3, and TnaG, however, the whole signal disappeared a few days back. Thought nothing about it at the time just thought that it was a temporary blip but they're still gone. When I tune into any of the above I receive the message: "Problem receiving the signal. Please check your aerial antenna."

I've checked all the connections at the back and none seem to be loose. The outside aerial seems OK.

I'm not one hundred percent sure but I think my signal comes from Monaghan. All my aerials were replaced about two years back so they're OK. I receive my digital signal via the Sagem Picnic box. Which, to be quite honest, is the worst piece of kit I've ever owned frown.gif, but it was the only one I could find that would give me RTE digital.

Anybody know if there is a problem with the Monaghan transmitter? Any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

I'm posting here because I realize that RTE Digital is still in trial mode and was wondering if their Monaghan transmitter was no longer broadcasting in digital

Many thanks for any suggestions

Kevin

kah22 wrote: »
    I'm living in the North and have been receiving a very good RTE signal from RTE1,2 TV3, and TnaG, however, the whole signal disappeared a few days back. Thought nothing about it at the time just thought that it was a temporary blip but they're still gone. When I tune into any of the above I receive the message: "Problem receiving the signal. Please check your aerial antenna."

I've checked all the connections at the back and none seem to be loose. The outside aerial seems OK.

I'm not one hundred percent sure but I think my signal comes from Monaghan. All my aerials were replaced about two years back so they're OK. I receive my digital signal via the Sagem Picnic box. Which, to be quite honest, is the worst piece of kit I've ever owned frown.gif, but it was the only one I could find that would give me RTE digital.

Anybody know if there is a problem with the Monaghan transmitter? Any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

I'm posting here because I realize that RTE Digital is still in trial mode and was wondering if their Monaghan transmitter was no longer broadcasting in digital

Many thanks for any suggestions

Kevin

No DTT from Monaghan yet. Clermont Carn in Co. Louth on UHF channel 53 would send a signal into parts of the North. What channel were you getting it on previously?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

Thanks for the reply Mayo Exile. Carried out a factory reset of my digi box and regained RTE 1,2, and TnaG digital.

TV3 digital is still missing but for the past while it was only showing a test card but I can still get TV3 old style

When I looked for the Channel numbers I found that RTE 1,2, were broadcasting on Channel 47, they were coming up with a signal strength of 22 but a signal strength of 98. Don't understand that for it is a very good picture.

It seemed strange to me that RTE 1,2 were broadcasting on the same channel so I hopped over to BBC 1,2 and sure enough they were both broadcasting on the same channel also: channel 29 - is that because they are all digital?

Like to hear feedback

Kevin

Thanks for the reply Mayo Exile. Carried out a factory reset of my digi box and regained RTE 1,2, and TnaG digital.

TV3 digital is still missing but for the past while it was only showing a test card but I can still get TV3 old style

When I looked for the Channel numbers I found that RTE 1,2, were broadcasting on Channel 47, they were coming up with a signal strength of 22 but a signal strength of 98. Don't understand that for it is a very good picture.

It seemed strange to me that RTE 1,2 were broadcasting on the same channel so I hopped over to BBC 1,2 and sure enough they were both broadcasting on the same channel also: channel 29 - is that because they are all digital?

Like to hear feedback

Kevin

You are receiving from Cairn Hill in Longford, all channels from there are on UHF 47, 4 digital TV channels and 5 digital radio stations.
    I am outside Newry and I can't received from Clermont Carn due to the mountains blocking my paths but able to aim toward Longford,
    my signal strengh is 80% and quality is 100%
    I have not lost any transmission signal from CH this year only an odd channel taken off air and replace with a test card.

Can anyone tell me if the CH transmitter increase it power to 160kW?

Like to hear feedback

Kevin

An analogue tv channel uses 8 MHz of spectrum. With digital tv that same 8 MHz of spectrum is called a multiplex (mux for short) and can be used to carry a group of channels (tv and radio), text, data etc. on one frequency channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

I have just bought a USB DVB-T adapter and tested my signal which is coming from Collins Barracks (I live in Douglas). To my surprise I got a perfect signal and Collins Barracks is sending me RTE1,RTE2, TG4, RTE News, RTENL (test card) and some radio stations. No sign of TV3, presumably because they aren't broadcasting it as I have a strong signal on the others.

My aerial is on a chimney mast and it is a contract Group B that I got for 6 euro in Dwyers. Note that the guy in Dwyers told me that they will not be getting any more contract aerials in and they are out of stock of group C/D aerials. He seemed genuine when he told me that these aerials are "not digital" and would not work with DTT. Obviously he was misinformed. Being a little cynical maybe the real reason they aren't getting more in stock is because there can't be much profit out of a 6 euro aerial.

I also bought a Spur Hill contract aerial online and hope to test that at the weekend. The contract aerials are so small that I might just put both of them on the chimney mast to avoid splitting the coax.

I have no amp and the signal looks pretty good on my netbook, now to invest in receiver and finally dump Sky :)

• Advertisement

OneWayBet wrote: »
    I have just bought a USB DVB-T adapter and tested my signal which is coming from Collins Barracks (I live in Douglas). To my surprise I got a perfect signal and Collins Barracks is sending me RTE1,RTE2, TG4, RTE News, RTENL (test card) and some radio stations. No sign of TV3, presumably because they aren't broadcasting it as I have a strong signal on the others.
    What's the make and model of the USB DVB-T adapter?

Advertisement