Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPEG4 tests - Not a Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

No you can't assume that. It will have been built for standard Freeview which is MPEG-2. If it specifically states that it supports MPEG-4 decoding, then maybe. You're better off checking the sticky for models which do support RoI DTT.
    There are no boxes or TVs ready yet for Freeview HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 gleannuirce

any notice if maghera digital reduced power today or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

power seems ok, but pics on all 4 channels are breaking up... remember its a TEST!! Cairn Hill which I also receive is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 gleannuirce

Aye I know. Thanks for the info though. Quality at 95% as ever, but level around 70% as opposed to 85% usually. Picture doesn't pixellate, just freezes even though sound is fine. TG4 back.
    I know it's a trial but digital is a one-aerial solution for me for the 4 home channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Hi Folks , just noticed a new channel on the RTE_NL test. I've just scanned in RTE News Now from Mount leinster . I believe it's 24 hour news channel that up to now wasonly on the internet .

Anybody else getting it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Hi Folks , just noticed a new channel on the RTE_NL test. I've just scanned in RTE News Now from Mount leinster . I believe it's 24 hour news channel that up to now wasonly on the internet .

Yep its been on Three rock for a couple of days now and the signal in general seems to have improved lately.

It was previously the RTE NL test channel.;)

P.S. Still no sign of a official service coming soon.:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Picture quality on the live part of the News screen, seems very low resolution (the graphics for the stock indices, currencies etc- is perfect in comparison).......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Thanks for the link sesswhat , I haven't re-scanned in ages or viewed any of the recent forums here so it was a bit of a surprise to see it.

Hi John Dough I've noticed the improvement too , I've been getting excellent signal strength and quality from my attic aerial for the last couple of months .... nice to see even if it's still only a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭scath

jobyrne30 wrote: »

You can safely assume I think at the moment, number of channels at all transmitters receive the same now, I think. Also receiving it in Carrick (Leitrim) (not sure coming from Truskmore or Cairn Hill)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

I'm getting the DAB stations on DTT now (Spur Hill), some appear to be mislabelled though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Likewise on Mt Leinster, radio mislabelled. Presumably they are configured in Montrose.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

TV tuned them in for me in the 900s - which is odd as its not a Freeview TV at all at all, no MHEG engine etc - channels normally go on in name order.

Currently the labelled -> real mapping is:
    Gold -> Pulse
    Junior/Chill -> Gold
    Choice -> Silent
    2XM -> Choice
    R1 Extra -> Silent

R1 Extra is actually broadcasting right now on DAB. DTT is about 2 seconds ahead of DAB.

The feed is identical via all transmitters (at the moment) so what one has, all ~14 have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Radio stations here too in Dungarvan. Still missing a picture on the television channels which is really annoying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

I tried a manual tune on the RTE mux on an mpeg2 IDTV. It is behaving differently now in that RTE1 is saved as number 1 replacing BBC1 which is moved to 801. Same for RTE2 etc.

The radio stations are saved in the 900s as before.

Previously with this particular TV, the RTE TV stations were either saved in the 900s or ignored, so something has changed.

They have definately changed something alright. If I setup my tv for the UK I get pictures but it puts the tv channels into the 800's. Setup for Ireland and no pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    They have definately changed something alright. If I setup my tv for the UK I get pictures but it puts the tv channels into the 800's. Setup for Ireland and no pictures.

What is the make and model of your TV ?

Sony 40W4000

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

I'd appreciate comments on the picture quality on the test transmissions which are currently running on the RTE DTT tests. FWIW I find there is a distinct lack of detail present in the picture, almost as if there is a lack of bandwidth allocation. Anyone else agree? I know these are tests so perhaps there are changes to be made later which will rectify this but I'd still like to hear other viewers opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

peking97 wrote: »
    I'd appreciate comments on the picture quality on the test transmissions which are currently running on the RTE DTT tests. FWIW I find there is a distinct lack of detail present in the picture, almost as if there is a lack of bandwidth allocation. Anyone else agree? I know these are tests so perhaps there are changes to be made later which will rectify this but I'd still like to hear other viewers opinions.

+1. I can see compression artefacts (banding) all the time. Image must be compressed to within an inch of its life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I concur- 3 Rock is full of artifacts if you view it on a larger screen.

I had a look with DVBviewer on the PC. The bandwidth seems to be same as usual:

RTE1 varies between 1.6 and 4.0 Mbps
    RTE2 1.9 - 4.5 Mbps
    TV3 1.3 - 4.4 Mbps
    TG4 1.8 - 4.5 Mbps

Not very scientific, just a random sample of about 5 mins per channel, but it seems reasonable for MPEG4 - certainly should translate into a better picture than an MPEG2 picture at the same bitrate.

The bitrates on satellite were as follows:

RTE1 4.5 - 5.5 Mbps
    RTE2 3.0 - 4.0 Mbps
    TV3 3.07 Mbps (constant)
    TG4 3.0 - 3.5 Mbps

As I say, not very scientific, as the bitrate is programme dependant (although TV3 seems to be at a fixed rate on Astra!).

What is apparent, though, is that the resolution on DTT is reduced to 544 x 576, except for RTE2 which is at 704 x 576. So you may be seeing a reduction in resolution, resulting in a "softer" picture. I must say that I can't see any compression artefacts or banding on a PC monitor (19") on any of the DTT channels. I may just try and hook it up to the plasma to see if I can see any problems.

Hooked up the Mvision 200 Combo to the plasma. I flicked between the terrestrial channels between 9.15 and now (9.55). I couldn't see any compression artefacts or banding. I have the Mvision connected via HDMI to an Onkyo AV amp upscaling to 1080p. If there were artefacts in the source signal I should certainly have seen them. The 9 o'clock news on RTE1 looked a bit softer on DTT than it did on Astra, but that may be down to the reduction in resolution on DTT. I noticed compression banding artefacts on TV3 on satellite during some of the ads, where there was a large expanse of colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

It finally worked for me! A LG 22LH2000 in the kitchen can pick up the tests finally and I can get the 4 channels in the kitchen at long last. Picture is quite stable with only the very rare picture distortion but it lasts a second and corrects itself, no sound clicks or anything thankfully. Picture looks grand on the set so can't say I've noticed any low resolutions or the likes, then again, I didn't get looking at it for long and it is a relatively small set.

Strangely my Sony 32V4000 can't pick it up and it is on a smaller RF lead that just goes from the DVD recorder to the TV, but the kitchen TV on a 10m long RF lead from the back of the Sky+HD box can get it... Anyway, at least it works for once, now, will it stay.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

sesswhat wrote: »
    I tried a manual tune on the RTE mux on an mpeg2 IDTV. It is behaving differently now in that RTE1 is saved as number 1 replacing BBC1 which is moved to 801. Same for RTE2 etc.

The radio stations are saved in the 900s as before.

Previously with this particular TV, the RTE TV stations were either saved in the 900s or ignored, so something has changed.

If the RTE signal is stronger than the UK one, it is normal for this to happen, both services have channel numbers 1 allocated to RTE and BBC1, 2 for RTE2 and BBC2 and so on - if it "sees" two with the same logical channel flag of "Position 1", it will store, what it assumes is a second version in the 800's.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Have a samsung not sure what model and 4 stations are excellent quality, in Tullow Co. Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭scath

Villain wrote: »
    Have a samsung not sure what model and 4 stations are excellent quality, in Tullow Co. Carlow

BTW, if you do a rescan Villian, you should be getting 5 +10 radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Sony 40W4000

Mossy - try this.

Add the channels scanned to your favouties and browse the channels from you favourites. Picture now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

There's EPG info for the RTE digital channels now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Just got a 4b650 and with our crappy aerial in our attic I can pick up digital.

Rte 1, rte 2, tv 3, tg 4, rte news now, aload of rte radio channels. They all get EPG.

It does go and come though, the digital signal, is that normal ?

Advertisement