Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPEG4 tests - Not a Public Service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

craoltoir wrote: »
    Actually, DCTV has nothing to do with Dave Harvey. The channel Mr. Harvey is connected with is City Channel. DCTV is a community channel (like community radio stations). See www.dctv.ie and www.citychannel.ie

Yip your right. I watch neither as I dont subscribe to NTL.

Regardless, neither belong on a PSB Mux.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Wonder if the DAB stations are going to reappear on the tests? Since they've gone I've also had no channel numbering - dunno if thats the same for everyone or a Samsung quirk. TV just shows stuff in in alphabetical channel name order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

I've just noticed that tv3 have the correct aspect ratios now, it doesn't automatically switch out of an ad-break, I have to change channel and then back, well using alt-dvb anyway ... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭npgallag

Guys..I have a Tosh 47" WLT66 with digital tuner...of course Mpeg2 so can only get sound and no pics...Can anyone recommend a CAM to enable me to receive Mpeg 4...There is CAM slot in back as far as i can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

npgallag wrote: »
    Guys..I have a Tosh 47" WLT66 with digital tuner...of course Mpeg2 so can only get sound and no pics...Can anyone recommend a CAM to enable me to receive Mpeg 4...There is CAM slot in back as far as i can see.

Check out this thread Neotion MPEG4 Cams - IDTV Ready List (NP4)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

On RTÉNL's website, I know there's a PDF with a list of channels for each main transmitter site that will be on for DTT. Is there a similar list for the 'fill in' transmitter sites?

I'm curious to know the frequencies for some of the Donegal fill in locations, such as for Letterkenny and Ballybofey, to keep an eye out for them coming online.

[Edit: I don't know where that blue smiley came from but it's not of my doing!]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

byrnefm wrote: »
    On RTÉNL's website, I know there's a PDF with a list of channels for each main transmitter site that will be on for DTT. Is there a similar list for the 'fill in' transmitter sites?

I'm curious to know the frequencies for some of the Donegal fill in locations, such as for Letterkenny and Ballybofey, to keep an eye out for them coming online.

[Edit: I don't know where that blue smiley came from but it's not of my doing!]

This ComReg document says that the Letterkenny muxes will be 53, 57, 60 & 63. No mention of which one is earmarked for the RTE mux. These channels are shared with four of the current muxes from Limavady, although Letterkenny is vertically polarised. My horizontal grid, pointed at Limavady, does pick up the Letterkenny analogues so I might find out when Letterkenny starts through losing a Limavady mux, just like when Truskmore started. I hope they don't do a Mt. Leinster by 'testing' on all four Letterkenny frequencies :).

They don't give channel details for Ballybofey but they should be in the C/D range as well.

sesswhat wrote: »
    This ComReg document says that the Letterkenny muxes will be 53, 57, 60 & 63. No mention of which one is earmarked for the RTE mux. These channels are shared with four of the current muxes from Limavady, although Letterkenny is vertically polarised. My horizontal grid, pointed at Limavady, does pick up the Letterkenny analogues so I might find out when Letterkenny starts through losing a Limavady mux, just like when Truskmore started. I hope they don't do a Mt. Leinster by 'testing' on all four Letterkenny frequencies :).

They don't give channel details for Ballybofey but they should be in the C/D range as well.

Thanks for the link! :eek: If Letterkenny is vertically polarized and Limavady is horizontally polarized, does this mean we will still get Limavady when Letterkenny starts transmitting? My antenna is pointing towards Limavady at the moment (picking up Holywell hill too from my location in Letterkenny). I'm using the followng antenna:

http://www.dastv.co.uk/shop/Triax_Unix_52_Wide_band_digital_freeview_aerial_215.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

byrnefm wrote: »
    Thanks for the link! :eek: If Letterkenny is vertically polarized and Limavady is horizontally polarized, does this mean we will still get Limavady when Letterkenny starts transmitting? My antenna is pointing towards Limavady at the moment (picking up Holywell hill too from my location in Letterkenny).

Your aerial should be more directional than the grid I'm using, and you also have a much greater angle separating Limavady and Letterkenny (Raphoe), so, in conjunction with the polarisation differences, you would be less likely to have problems. Having said that, I thought I was safe from Truskmore being near Ballybofey. I ended up having to move the aerial to avoid picking it up from behind.

In 2012 the Limavady frequencies will change in any case.

sesswhat wrote: »
    Your aerial should be more directional than the grid I'm using, and you also have a much greater angle separating Limavady and Letterkenny (Raphoe), so, in conjunction with the polarisation differences, you would be less likely to have problems. Having said that, I thought I was safe from Truskmore being near Ballybofey. I ended up having to move the aerial to avoid picking it up from behind.

In 2012 the Limavady frequencies will change in any case.

Thanks again for the info! True - I looked up the 2012 frequencies for Limavady and see that they'll all be moving one channel so I should be safe after that - phew! It's just a long wait to late 2012!

If I did experience interference, I'm wondering if I could make make the antenna even more directional? I had a look at the Letterkenny analogue channels and they come in pretty strong (well, RTÉ 2 does, TG 4 is pretty poor) even though the antenna is at least 90 degrees in the wrong direction for it! Hopefully the Letterkenny DTT setup will only be on one frequency for the next long while, whenever it does start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ffocused

Read this article in yesterdays Business Post

http://www.thepost.ie/story/text/eyidcwojkf/

It says Government have ordered RTE to have the PSB Mux covering 90% of population by the end of October.......

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satdog

ffocused wrote: »
    Read this article in yesterdays Business Post

http://www.thepost.ie/story/text/eyidcwojkf/

It says Government have ordered RTE to have the PSB Mux covering 90% of population by the end of October.......

See this thread for full story: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64731507&highlight=Ryan#post64731507

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Last weekend summer time change, I notice that on my LG LF7700 TV the time for RTE1. RTE2, TV3, TG4 & RTE News is still showing GMT
    while all the other channels I received from Divis Freeview is BST, GMT+1.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

notice tv3 is gone from the RTE DTT and RTE NL card is shown.
    How much more difficult would it be to relay TV3/3e DCTV City Channel from kippure/three rock now - also Today FM / Newstalk as the national radio stations

my analogue tv reception is poor - but the arsenal v barca football looked excellent on DTT - wonder if on tuesday tv3 will be back up on dtt

anyways would be good to see more reception reports if you could post them on
    http://www.mpeg4ireland.com/map

happy easter

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I have a feeling we'll not see TV3 on DTT anymore until an official launch, though do hope I'm wrong, for the sake of occasional Champions League.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭simatoel

I've just received a reply from RTENL on this
    "As you note below, these are test transmissions. DTT cannot be considered to be a service and the actual testing and channels carried are a matter internal to RTÉNL. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to provide further detail."

No joy there then. I suggested that there were some financial or contractual issues which caused the removal of TV3 from the tests. After all, why leave a test card running over a bank holiday weekend? Who in RTENL or the private sector was conducting transmission tests?. My suggestion was not denied, which would have been easy to do, so you can draw some conclusions form the "No comment" tone of the reply. I'll try and dig deeper.

simatoel wrote: »
    I've just received a reply from RTENL on this
    "As you note below, these are test transmissions. DTT cannot be considered to be a service and the actual testing and channels carried are a matter internal to RTÉNL. Unfortunately, I am not in a position to provide further detail."

No joy there then. I suggested that there were some financial or contractual issues which caused the removal of TV3 from the tests. After all, why leave a test card running over a bank holiday weekend? Who in RTENL or the private sector was conducting transmission tests?. My suggestion was not denied, which would have been easy to do, so you can draw some conclusions form the "No comment" tone of the reply. I'll try and dig deeper.
    Why don't you reply supplying the detail of the ministers order and ask them to confirm that they will be complying by october 31st...

As for tx testing,I doubt they are testing overnight -yet they leave the transmitters on then.
    I'd imagine they've all the testing they need done by now anyhow to be honest bar feedback from the aerial trade.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Why don't you reply supplying the detail of the ministers order and ask them to confirm that they will be complying by october 31st...

As for tx testing,I doubt they are testing overnight -yet they leave the transmitters on then.
    I'd imagine they've all the testing they need done by now anyhow to be honest bar feedback from the aerial trade.

Maybe, but testing can go on 24 hrs/ 7 days in order to see performance in all weathers. [Which you must agree we have had!] Furthermore, the tests could be to do with position and requirement for in-fill stations as these would be different for DTT than for analogue. So maybe, maybe, that is what they are doing.

Maybe, but testing can go on 24 hrs/ 7 days in order to see performance in all weathers. [Which you must agree we have had!] Furthermore, the tests could be to do with position and requirement for in-fill stations as these would be different for DTT than for analogue. So maybe, maybe, that is what they are doing.

... and coordination testing with the UK transmitters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I suggested that there were some financial or contractual issues which caused the removal of TV3 from the tests. After all, why leave a test card running over a bank holiday weekend? Who in RTENL or the private sector was conducting transmission tests?. My suggestion was not denied, which would have been easy to do, so you can draw some conclusions form the "No comment" tone of the reply. I'll try and dig deeper.

What are you trying to find out simatoel ?

It would seem to me that the answer is that in the absence of money changing hands and contracts being agreed the position will remain the same.

Its no secret that RTENL have actually paid for the infrastructure up front alone.

I wouldnt imagine TV3 are paying any bills to be on DTT at present. Otherwise they would be complaining.

Why dont you ask Tv3 when they are going on the PSB Mux. I would guess that they will say when a service is officially launched.

You just dont turn off group of multiplex PSB TXs and the associated encoders etc because they work. Its not a 50watt broadcast warehouse rig!
    byte wrote: »
    I have a feeling we'll not see TV3 on DTT anymore until an official launch, though do hope I'm wrong, for the sake of occasional Champions League.

No love from the RTENL engineers there eh... maybe they are not mad soccer fans like you and I. Its a pity as Tv3 have the terrestrial rights for Tuesday night Champions League ( I watched the analogue last night - its awful as were Arsenal - all this clear digital signal has me spoilt!). Who gets the Final as a a matter of interest ? Both ?

• Advertisement

STB wrote: »
    No love from the RTENL engineers there eh... maybe they are not mad soccer fans like you and I. Its a pity as Tv3 have the terrestrial rights for Tuesday night Champions League ( I watched the analogue last night - its awful as were Arsenal - all this clear digital signal has me spoilt!). Who gets the Final as a a matter of interest ? Both ?

Spoilt indeed, couldn't be bothered now pressing analogue/digital button on my Sony remote to browse TV3.

RTÉ have exclusive rights to the Champions League final.

STB wrote: »
    Its no secret that RTENL have actually paid for the infrastructure up front alone.
    You mean us of course the poor unfortunate licence payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Souriau wrote: »
    Last weekend summer time change, I notice that on my LG LF7700 TV the time for RTE1. RTE2, TV3, TG4 & RTE News is still showing GMT
    while all the other channels I received from Divis Freeview is BST, GMT+1.

Further to this, this problem seem to be with MHEG-5 or is it just LG?
    The Humax LCD does display correct time, IST, GMT+1. this TV only show analouge teletext and does not show MHEG-5 digital text

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭simatoel

Seems I might be right, TV3 are being truculent according to a source, and I guess RTENL are 'punishing' them by not broadcasting TV3 on the test signals, which are of course the real deal anyway. At this level of public expenditure, I don't think there is room for pram and rattle behavior. There is nothing to be gained by removing TV3 from the tests, but everything to lose in terms of consumer take up of DTT, and consumer goodwill towards RTENL. Would you try out the latest electric vehicle if one of the wheels was missing? Replace TV3 on the DTT tests. Let the service roll out in October, and resolve the contractual and financial stuff in the boardroom, not on the airways. In the long run TV3 should be entitled to a cost neutral switchover anyway, as they are merely substituting one carrier for another. The licence payer has pretty much stumped up for the service, so why are we being subjected to a test card, is it just to satisfy some executives power trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

as of this morning the channel name is tv3, but it's still a test card, uhhh it's progress I guess
    back to rtenl

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Seems I might be right, TV3 are being truculent according to a source, and I guess RTENL are 'punishing' them by not broadcasting TV3 on the test signals, which are of course the real deal anyway. At this level of public expenditure, I don't think there is room for pram and rattle behavior. There is nothing to be gained by removing TV3 from the tests, but everything to lose in terms of consumer take up of DTT, and consumer goodwill towards RTENL. Would you try out the latest electric vehicle if one of the wheels was missing? Replace TV3 on the DTT tests. Let the service roll out in October, and resolve the contractual and financial stuff in the boardroom, not on the airways. In the long run TV3 should be entitled to a cost neutral switchover anyway, as they are merely substituting one carrier for another. The licence payer has pretty much stumped up for the service, so why are we being subjected to a test card, is it just to satisfy some executives power trip.

Its all to do with boardroom politics in RTE as they control RTENL and can/can not show what they like in the tests .

TV3 are involved with a cartel bidding for a franchise so the RTE boys are making it as difficult as possible for anyone else Eircom included to get a foot in the door.
    According to current E.U. legislation all national channels should be FTA but many places in Ireland notably west dublin can not get a reasonable analogue signal on TV3 hence everyone is trying the DTT signal!! which WILL be FTA when launched but as above RTE are crying foul!!

Also why are cable companies charging for national channels surely they should be free from subscription also.

I still can not understand why the satellite signal is scrambled as surely their contract with sky must be up by now and sat is the best way to receive these channels in 95% of places in Ireland.

Please no replies about rights issues as its bull***t.

perhaps a bucketful of emails complaining to the regulator would put some pressure on the powers that be!!;)

John Dough wrote: »
    Please no replies about rights issues as its bull***t.
    But that's what it boils down to. A FTA satellite signal which will cover an overspill population many magnitudes more than the intended coverage area. The best we could hope for is a FTV system here and that is doable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

TV3 do not have full coverage because they refuse to pay for it. RTENL are runnibg tests, not a service. They could broadcast anything and not be under any obligation, so no TV3 is just a coincidence.

Clearly someone in RTE noticed that TV3 was getting a free ride on DTT and put a stop to it. A bit of information about upcoming plans would be very helpful, particularly with regard to their plans for HD. The min spec for STBs calls for HD, is that what we will get. I can get a Neotion CAM that will decode MPEG4 for my Telly that will receive the current broadcasts, but only if they are in SD. When the original trials ended, my working MPEG2 signal suddenly became MPEG4 signal and sound only, video not working, I do not want a repeat of that.

Personally, I would prefer to watch the RTENL test card than watch the TV3 programmes like Exposed. At least it is in focus and does not jerk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭marclt

But, if the multiplex is running anyway, how much would it cost to show TV3?

If a test card is running, they are obviously broadcasting sound and vision, albeit at the lowest possible bitrate.

And why don't they do the same thing with TG4?

• Advertisement

marclt wrote: »

And why don't they do the same thing with TG4?

TG4 pay more to RTENL than TV3 and they also populate all the relays, which TV3 does not.

Also, they are from the same parish.

Advertisement