Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 recruit po

Thanks for the updates

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

I have heard that the last group from the 07 campaign will be starting training in june. After that they will be starting to recruit from the new panel. As there are physicals going on at the moment, it is likely that the first group from the 08 campaign will begin training around september. As a few posters have said, the pension levy might force out some older officers who are over the retirement age particularly in the country jails where the more senior staff are based, freeing up places in the dublin jails. Be prepared to be working in dublin for 6-8 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Scatman81

Hey lads did the physical today the only hard bit was the 40 15metre sprints at the end.2 fellas failed it on that so id say they were fairly p####d off with it and one fella wasnt allowed do the test dont know why.On the medical clearance form make sure your doc writes in your B pressure as in the number or else they will check it on the day mine was ok thank god.Dont expect to start training till the end of the year there are still loads of the 07 panel to start training so i dunno where the other info is coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

Scatman81 wrote: »
    Hey lads did the physical today the only hard bit was the 40 15metre sprints at the end.2 fellas failed it on that so id say they were fairly p####d off with it and one fella wasnt allowed do the test dont know why.On the medical clearance form make sure your doc writes in your B pressure as in the number or else they will check it on the day mine was ok thank god.Dont expect to start training till the end of the year there are still loads of the 07 panel to start training so i dunno where the other info is coming from.

sounds tough enough fair play on passing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 cmc2009

I done my physical a few weeks ago. I rang up and I was told that there not even going to be looking at the 08 batch for a good while yet.I was also told that it cud be ages b4 we get called up for traing. She said even tho the ones in now finish up very soon. She does not think that more will be in for traing straight away. Until they have room for more staff.I'm in the 30s on the list to get onto traning but she said its Going to be a long wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 lifers

Lads,
    There's a group of 25 (I'm one of them:D) starting training on 15th June. I was on the 07 campaign and had deferred starting twice last year. A few of the lads I was chatting at the physical had also deferred last year so I'd say at this stage their getting close to the end of that campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dropsey

lifers wrote: »
    Lads,
    There's a group of 25 (I'm one of them:D) starting training on 15th June. I was on the 07 campaign and had deferred starting twice last year. A few of the lads I was chatting at the physical had also deferred last year so I'd say at this stage their getting close to the end of that campaign.
    best of luck with job . when did u do your physical was it before christmas.thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 cmc2009

Lads,
    There's a group of 25 (I'm one of them:D) starting training on 15th June. I was on the 07 campaign and had deferred starting twice last year. A few of the lads I was chatting at the physical hadalso deferred last year so I'd say at this stage their getting close to the end of that campaign.

Did you get much notice to start training down there hopeful I'll be down in the next batch after you. When you deferred it was it the physical you deferred or the training???

I got 3 months notice. But as lads before have said - it can be much shorter if someone drops out at the last minute.

It was the training I deferred last year. They were so keen to get people in I think they didn't even bother with the physical at the time.

dropsey wrote: »
    best of luck with job . when did u do your physical was it before christmas.thanks

I did the physical on 6th of March.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dropsey

I did the physical on 6th of March.

thanks for info Lifer. i did physical on
    13th so my bunch wil probably start after your bunch.best of luck in june hopefully we wil start in september about 9 weeks after your bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Garryd

Well lads. Just a quick note too say that they dont go by when you did your physical. I did mine on the 31st of October 2008 and am still waiting to be called.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bubbles1983

Has onyone that did their physical on the 6th of march get a start date for their training?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

Brian Lenihan just announced on the 9 O'Clock News a freeze on all Public Service recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sisu200

Brian Lenihan announced a restriction not a freeze, if they freeze the public sector the system will collapse, it may add a further delay but the recruitment campaign won't be stopped :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

Thankgod, don't mind waiting providing i eventualy get called, thanks for clarifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

Well then he's restricted everything so. Promotions , Transfers , everything that involves cost has been Frozen/restricted.

well lads does anyone know what the story is, the part i got was that there would be no more (untill late 2010) in the garda,civil service and armed forces, it didn't mention the prison service specifically,????, wonder if they will proceed with the process of recruitment and have a group of a few hundred ready when things start moving again,
    Is there any hope,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Scatman81

Was just looking at the Garda thread they think its doomsday for them!Will the prison service be affected likewise? Id imagine if a lot of prison officers retire they will have no choice but replace them as there has to be a minimum number to run the prisons unlike the Garda force which could be cut??I thought this thread would be hopping today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 benelli

Folks from what we are hearing in the jails is that there is a freeze on recruitment, and promotions untill 2010. Only with approval from dept of finance will someoe be promoted etc. in relation to recruitment most dublin jails have extra staff due to the numbers expected to retire this year. The only way extra staff may come in is if they go ahead and open new wing in portlaoise and wheathfield. it not looking good for anyone waiting to come in. sorry to be bearer of bad news.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭tommy57

benelli wrote: »
    Folks from what we are hearing in the jails is that there is a freeze on recruitment, and promotions untill 2010. Only with approval from dept of finance will someoe be promoted etc. in relation to recruitment most dublin jails have extra staff due to the numbers expected to retire this year. The only way extra staff may come in is if they go ahead and open new wing in portlaoise and wheathfield. it not looking good for anyone waiting to come in. sorry to be bearer of bad news.:(

so what about the numbers they all ready have from 07 recruitment will they not just use them up on their system instead of running new recruitment campaigns. or does it mean nothing been on their system

I don't know lads, i know two officers, both in dublin prisons and they tell me different stories, one officer told me pats does'n have enough staff currently, and whats the point in having two ongoing campaigns 0'7 and 08 if they have extra staff and don't require anymore??, i know the 0'7 campaign is ending soon, but back in october 08 there was obviously a need for more officers because they started a new campaign and i know economicaly things have changed but they must still need officers or are they extracting the urine?? and giving us false hope.

think positive lads, thats all we can do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

yeah, seen that artical just after i posted my last post there, its ****, do you think they keep same panel, wud hate to have to do test again?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sisu200

I think they will keep the same panel.They're trying to reduce costs, starting a recruitment drive from scratch the minute the freeze is lifted, and having candidates who were deemed good enough the first time go through the system twice would be wasting money in my opinion.

I agree, hopefully they do too, and stick with us,

I'm in a fairly bad position as I didn't apply to either the Gardai or the Prison Service on their last drives because I'm in my final year of college. So the soonest I can START the process is the end of 2010! :(

Thats a shame, i know some people who put off going for it too ,but atleast you'll be busy for another while hopefully anyway!( with college) and sure with abit of luck the next year and half will fly and you will be starting the process

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Garryd

Well lads.... Its looking like bad news for us all isnt it? But hopefully with all these retirements from the pension levy etc. some of us waiting to be called might still be required to train, as the prison service does require a minimum number of staff to run it. Theres supposedly 25 starting in june. Does anybody know what will happen to these? Will they get to do their training?

Advertisement