Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

Although Im not fully sure about applying, when I clicked to see the applicaion form I had the same problem as you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭robpurf

i tried everything liamo but i use firefox and when i opened it in internet explorer it worked if thats any help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭li@mo

That might explain it.........I was using Google Chrome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

i had no problem applying there....not sure if this would be what i want, but no harm in going for it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Electrician

Hi all. Is there any one currently working as a prison officer? And if so can they pm me any information about their duties, opinions about the job etc. Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

i myself hope to get into the prison service this year. As i'm not the fittest can anyone recommend a training plan to help me get up to a level that i can pass it.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

http://irishprisons.ie/documents/PCT_Information_Leaflet.pdf

this taken from the Prison Service website. any info you need is on there

i myself hope to get into the prison service this year. As i'm not the fittest can anyone recommend a training plan to help me get up to a level that i can pass it.

easy way is to join a gym they will give you a programme.theres also a download on publicjobs.ie about preparing for it or failing that get out running on the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Hello all interested in the prison service meself just wondering would anyone have any information regarding the visual & procedural test to be completed during the selection test? Also is there any prison officers on here what do you think of it as a choice of career?Is there much danger to your family due to the individuals you deal with? Please private mail me if you do not want to reply on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭NDM

Hello everyone. Has anyone else yet tried to download the Prison Officer Familiarisation booklet from Publicjobs.ie? The resaon i ask is because i cant seem to download it. Just keeps saying page not found. Any ideas?

So anyone else going for Recruit Prison Officer??

• Advertisement

NDM wrote: »
    Hello everyone. Has anyone else yet tried to download the Prison Officer Familiarisation booklet from Publicjobs.ie? The resaon i ask is because i cant seem to download it. Just keeps saying page not found. Any ideas?

So anyone else going for Recruit Prison Officer??

i cant find it on there..i dont see where your seeing it...????

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Electrician

Hey all. I downloaded it yesterday without any problems. Try right clicking on the link and then select "save target as" and see if this will let you save it to your computer first and then try opening it. Other wise ring public jobs and tell them the problems that you are having with the link and see if they can email you the booklet instead. Let me know how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gb88

Here is where you can find the Familiarisation booklet, it is down the list a good bit, i think you may need the Latest Adobe Reader or right click, save, and open in word to view it (Im no computer expert so not sure)

Good Luck to everyone, iv applied myself :)

https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/campaign/inprogress.asp

Yea i just downloaded it there myself, theres also 2 interview videos with two current prison officers on the site.
    goodluck anyone whos doing it.

cool thanks for the help got that sorted and also got the test date confirmed aswell as im sure all other applicants did....

wonder with the way things are at the moment will there be thousands goin for it?

also i wondered, if a person is successful in gettin a position how long would it take from test date to start date? anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

Hi,
    I got my date for Apt. Test..

Does anyone know if those one day courses for familiarisation tests are worth the money?

i wondered about this myself to be honest?

i mean the tests dont look that complicated but i guess it would be no harm to do the day course if ya have the money to do it..

are there any people with experience of these day courses that could help us out??

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

The sample tests they give you in the familiarisation booklet are a piece of piss compared to the real thing. there is about 6 times the detail in the real test pictures plus you are under pressure for time

The sample tests they give you in the familiarisation booklet are a piece of piss compared to the real thing. there is about 6 times the detail in the real test pictures plus you are under pressure for time

so you would recommend doing the day course then? its just ive heard they help some people but others find it a waste of money and gained nothing from it(these are not my opinions just what ive heard/been told)..

to be honest if i had the cash i wouold do it no probs but completely broke..

you have you done it in the past by the sounds of it?

im not going to bother with the day course to be honest im still in two minds if id take the place if offered.just going to go along and see what happens on the day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Garryd

I applied for the prison service in the 2007 campaign and did the aptitude test. For those wondering weather or not to do the course on it I would advise yes. Absolutly definatly do it. Its a major help. After i got my test results I heard nothing until may I think, this year inviting me to attend an interview. This is a bastard. 3 people ripping your application to shreads!!!! Questioning every single little thing. Make sure you remember what you have written down on this!!!! After this I had to do a medical and am now going to do the physical competency test on fri. 31st. Wish me luck. Hope this helps all of ye after applying. This seems like an oppertuinity of a lifetime and the only advice I can give is PREPARATION PREPARATION PREPARATION
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

What I find very annoying about the entire procedure here is there is no active encouragement for people to follow a career in the prison service here in Ireland. I was spent two weeks in Strangways prison in Manchester, assigned to the kitchen in 2005. I was covering for a mate of mine who was on holidays. In the UK they encourage people to apply for a career in the prison service by allowing them to volunteer to see if they like it. They also have job sharing opportunities as well. It is a very difficult path to get into here and it seems to put a lot of people off it. I really enjoyed my time there and could have went for a career there only that I was going to work in Malta in Film/TV. It should be promoted a hell of a lot more better here than it currently is.

Good luck with it Garry, hope it works out for you.

NDM wrote: »
    so you would recommend doing the day course then? its just ive heard they help some people but others find it a waste of money and gained nothing from it(these are not my opinions just what ive heard/been told)..

to be honest if i had the cash i wouold do it no probs but completely broke..

you have you done it in the past by the sounds of it?

I did the test alright but never did the day course, didnt even know there was one tbh.

I dont see how a day course would help you though, seein as the test is a lot about memory which you either have or you dont.
    One important thing to remember is that wrong answers will doc you marks so only answer questions which you know you are right on.

I found the proceedural test easier because all the info is in front of you so just make sure to take your time and check all avenues of info first time round because you wont have much time at the end.

Bohsboy is right though, you will be workin in dublin for the next 7 or 8 years so be prepared to move or be commuting for a long time

Garryd wrote: »
    I applied for the prison service in the 2007 campaign and did the aptitude test. For those wondering weather or not to do the course on it I would advise yes. Absolutly definatly do it. Its a major help. After i got my test results I heard nothing until may I think, this year inviting me to attend an interview. This is a bastard. 3 people ripping your application to shreads!!!! Questioning every single little thing. Make sure you remember what you have written down on this!!!! After this I had to do a medical and am now going to do the physical competency test on fri. 31st. Wish me luck. Hope this helps all of ye after applying. This seems like an oppertuinity of a lifetime and the only advice I can give is PREPARATION PREPARATION PREPARATION
    Best of luck

After getting your results for the 07 campaign you didnt get called for an interview till May of this year, is there such a long wait with all the PO campaigns? I knew this was the case with going for the Gards but didnt think this was as drawn out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dropsey

hi, did appitude test in apirl 2007,then did interview july this year. Am still waiting to do physical test. the recruitment process is very drawn out.

dropsey wrote: »
    hi, did appitude test in apirl 2007,then did interview july this year. Am still waiting to do physical test. the recruitment process is very drawn out.

Cheers for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

hi all

new to boards.ie, mainly due to all the excellent info you all have posted regarding the prison service test, i was wondering is there any other practice questions available on the net or available in the shops that will help me prepare as i have practiced the sample questions on publicjobs.ie, also for those who have passed the test previously what position did you come?, and what position should i be aiming for in order to be called back for interview?

cheers guys

so if someone is successful your lookin at over a year to get in?

man thats a long time!! :mad::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Frankdtank

I've applied for the prison service im going to do the pre test just wondering how difficult it is to get in providing i get past the aptitude test. Anyone any idea how many officers are being recruited? Cheers

• Advertisement

hi all

new to boards.ie, mainly due to all the excellent info you all have posted regarding the prison service test, i was wondering is there any other practice questions available on the net or available in the shops that will help me prepare as i have practiced the sample questions on publicjobs.ie, also for those who have passed the test previously what position did you come?, and what position should i be aiming for in order to be called back for interview?

cheers guys

When i applied the top 200 were called for interview first, then another batch about a month later. After the interview you will be placed on another panel and they will draw from this panel as vacancies arise. Its not unusual to be sitting on a panel for 2-3 years.

I must say though it is by far the fairest application process ive ever come across

Rumour has it 60,000 applied

Advertisement