Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭NDM

Quote removed at posters request.

Hi Lawros just a quick question....from when you had your aptitude test until your start date how long was that?

any insider knowledge on how many have applied? might make me study and train that bit arder!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dropsey

hi guys, i know that 80 recruit are starting in november . as training takes 9 weeks then the next batch wil start late jan or early feb. AS there ia alot of retirements this year anyone on current panel should get a job.

Quote removed at poster's request.

thats cool mate and good to know! At least i have a rough idea of timescales and will know not to rely on getting in anytime soon if i managed to be successful..il go through the process anyway sure there is no harm in that and see what happens! Who knows may win the lotto in the meantime!!

Thanks a mil for that post man tis much appreciated!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭robpurf

would the tests be an annual thing??its just we have new arrivals in twins in the house and im loath to go for it and have to sod off to portlaoise for nine weeks and leave the wife with two young kids.am thinking of waiting a year or two to do it now??

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

Thanks Angus gives me a good idea of what i need to do, also was reading one of your reply's on the test its self, do you think that because your deducted marks in the test for wrong anwers, that if i am not sure about a question, do i leave it, and not attempt it, therefore won't be deducted, or will i be deducted anyway?, sorry hope i don't confuse you!!.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 limerickguy

does any know where the pre test is on in limerick this coming saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

Thanks Angus gives me a good idea of what i need to do, also was reading one of your reply's on the test its self, do you think that because your deducted marks in the test for wrong anwers, that if i am not sure about a question, do i leave it, and not attempt it, therefore won't be deducted, or will i be deducted anyway?, sorry hope i don't confuse you!!.

Cheers

Exactly, read page 8 of test familiarisation booklet, it explains it all

U seem to know what u are talking about. It seems crazy they would start a new recruitment campaign unless there was jobs to be filled.
    I was told by a senior member of civil service that there is 80 recruits to start training in november.The panel from 2007 recruitment has not been scrapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

seanorpen wrote: »
    You might draw your notice to SI No. 289 of 1996.

You are in breach of FIRST SCHEDULE para 4 (c) and para 7.

Regardless of what information can be procured elsewhere, YOU, have no authority whatsoever as an officer to make available what you have done here. You will STOP forthwith.

Jaysus get off your high horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭robpurf

seanorpen wrote: »
    You might draw your notice to SI No. 289 of 1996.

You are in breach of FIRST SCHEDULE para 4 (c) and para 7.

Regardless of what information can be procured elsewhere, YOU, have no authority whatsoever as an officer to make available what you have done here. You will STOP forthwith.
    Millie wrote: »
    Jaysus get off your high horse.

seconded

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gb88

From what i read and studied in the Familiarisation booklet was absolute pre school colouring compared to the detail they went through in the 1 Day Coarse. In my opinion the aptitute test is going to be Very difficult due to the huge amounts of Applicants so be prepared.

I have also heard that Some people have not even confirmed the educational requirments prior to application!

The interview does seem nervewrecking alright :)

hi guys

Does anyone know of a good site online to find aptitude tests to work with just for practice, maybe somthing similar to what will be in the test itself, my test is not till nov 19 and i've read through the publicjobs booklet, so just feel more prep is needed, also have 1 day prep course 16 nov, hope it worth it! has anyone attended theirs already? if so whats it like?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Garryd

Hi all.
    Done my physical fitness test for the prison officers recently. For those of you curious about it here are the details.
    The first part of it consists of 7 x 15 meter shuttle runs ie running from one point to another and back again. This must be done in under 35 seconds. The next part is the weights/resistance training which is in 3 parts.Pushing pulling and pushing with your legs. On each you have 3 practise goes and then 5 measured ones and machine takes an average on each. The next part is the fire extingusher run. 2 x 15 meter shuttles with a 14kg fire extingusher in under 30 seconds. This is the easiest part.
    Next is the riot shield hold test. Its about 6kgs and must be held above your head at a 45 degree angle with your hands away from the body for a minute.
    Last part is 40 x 15 meter shuttle runs in under 3 min 30 seconds. Not easy this but pick a pace that suits you. Its roughly 9 seconds per shuttle to pass I think.
    There is no execeptions on the times. They are strictly stuck too by the testers who are not affiliated to the prison service.
    Hope this helps anyone going to do this fitness test.
    best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

robpurf wrote: »
    would the tests be an annual thing??its just we have new arrivals in twins in the house and im loath to go for it and have to sod off to portlaoise for nine weeks and leave the wife with two young kids.am thinking of waiting a year or two to do it now??

The tests only come around with every recruitment campaign. Might be an option to go for it and see if you get through before you dismiss it . 9 weeks isn't all that long in the scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

hi guys

Does anyone know of a good site online to find aptitude tests to work with just for practice, maybe somthing similar to what will be in the test itself, my test is not till nov 19 and i've read through the publicjobs booklet, so just feel more prep is needed, also have 1 day prep course 16 nov, hope it worth it! has anyone attended theirs already? if so whats it like?

cheers

Same as above if you have any useful links lads that would be great. PO candidate who are you doing the preparation course with? Doing one myself on the 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Electrician

Garryd wrote: »
    Hi all.
    Done my physical fitness test for the prison officers recently. For those of you curious about it here are the details.
    The first part of it consists of 7 x 15 meter shuttle runs ie running from one point to another and back again. This must be done in under 35 seconds. The next part is the weights/resistance training which is in 3 parts.Pushing pulling and pushing with your legs. On each you have 3 practise goes and then 5 measured ones and machine takes an average on each. The next part is the fire extingusher run. 2 x 15 meter shuttles with a 14kg fire extingusher in under 30 seconds. This is the easiest part.
    Next is the riot shield hold test. Its about 6kgs and must be held above your head at a 45 degree angle with your hands away from the body for a minute.
    Last part is 40 x 15 meter shuttle runs in under 3 min 30 seconds. Not easy this but pick a pace that suits you. Its roughly 9 seconds per shuttle to pass I think.
    There is no execeptions on the times. They are strictly stuck too by the testers who are not affiliated to the prison service.
    best of luck.
    Hey garryd. When did you do your aptitude tests?

Turbo diesel,

Im doing mine with career services, in dublin city centre on the 16 nov, thats a sunday, hope its useful, haven't heard much about these prep courses except one post on here, but wanted to have as much prep as possible, publicjobs booklet not great!, have you heard anything as to how good, bad or indifferent they are?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Turbo diesel,

Im doing mine with career services, in dublin city centre on the 16 nov, thats a sunday, hope its useful, haven't heard much about these prep courses except one post on here, but wanted to have as much prep as possible, publicjobs booklet not great!, have you heard anything as to how good, bad or indifferent they are?

cheers

Thats who I have the prep course with as well, dont know much about them apart from what I read on here.

Anyone else on here done the prep course with them yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Garryd

Hey garryd. When did you do your aptitude tests?
    I think it was april last year

Garryd wrote: »
    Hi all.
    best of luck.
    did u do your interview in dublin in early july ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gb88

I done the Prep Course With Career services. It is worth every penny, huge detail is looked at compared to what you would do yourself with the booklet from public jobs, keep going throught the materail again and again, have my test on Saturday :)

gb88,

Thats great mate, glad to hear that, and thanks for advice, best of luck in the test, let us know how you get on?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Electrician

Did anyone do the aptitude tests on the 7th or 8th just gone?
    If you did could you fill us in on it and is it what you expected?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

In all fairness,If I were competing for a job,the LAST thing I'd be doing is posting the details of a test I was just after doing ,on a forum for someone to maybe, get the upper hand, and then maybe, get the job I was after.

Maybe those that are after doing the test might just have the cop on not to be giving away the details here.

Best of luck to all that have applied, and remember to keep your own counsel as to the exam,because there are massive amounts of people that have applied for the job.Why give anybody a head start over you??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Medlar

i wouldnt do this job if it was the last on earth.become a garda if you want to deal with criminals.ive no time for screws.

medlar,

What are you doing posting on this topic if you have '' no time fo screws'' as you put it, as most people posting are serving officers or candidates for the job, i don't need career advice from you, talking about a job you clearly no nothing about, calling officers ''screws'' shows what i twat you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

If you've no time for "screws", you've obviously spent time inside. :rolleyes: I dont think this job is suitable for you so jog on please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nowye'retalking

gb88 wrote: »
    From what i read and studied in the Familiarisation booklet was absolute pre school colouring compared to the detail they went through in the 1 Day Coarse. In my opinion the aptitute test is going to be Very difficult due to the huge amounts of Applicants so be prepared.

I have also heard that Some people have not even confirmed the educational requirments prior to application!

The interview does seem nervewrecking alright :)

Hi Everyone.
    I’m new to boards, but I was on Internet trying to get some info for my friend who is doing his test on Sat and came across this site, OMG what a brilliant site everyone is just so helpful and really help.. so as I was reading thru the posts and had a question about the Education requirement.
    Have you defiantly to have done LC? I know my friend didn’t do his he left school @ 16 and did an apprenticeship and with construction the way its going decided to apply for the prison officer role.
    Reading these posts it would look like he really has no point in even doing the Aptitude test :(if he’s only going to get knocked back on having no leaving cert done...
    My uncle in a prison officer 30 years is retiring this year @ 49 imagine:rolleyes:!! I think it’s a great job and for people who like a challenge its different the job for you plus there is something new everyday,,
    My other question is has everyone to go to Dublin afterwards or could you get lucky and get a prison down the county somewhere?

Thanks for reading..;)

Hi welcome to boards.ie, fairly new poster myself, anyway, i am 99.9% sure you do need leaving certificate/ leaving certificate applied to meet the educational requirements, tell your friend to go to publicjobs.ie and click on In progress campaigns and then click prison officer information booklet, that states all the requirements, aswel as other useful info,:) and from what i read here on this site from serving officers, its most likely he will be based in dublin.

cheers

• Advertisement

bohsboy wrote: »
    If you've no time for "screws", you've obviously spent time inside. :rolleyes: I dont think this job is suitable for you so jog on please.

Haha!! Amen brother!!:D:D

Advertisement