Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

EmptyTree wrote: »
    With all the café, restaurants, takeaways etc I recon operation transformation might be doing the next full series just in Sligo. Still though, good to have somewhere to go for dinner after you've a had a coffee in town.... :rolleyes:

Yeah, you're totally right. Lets leave these units idle and have less jobs in the locality. Much better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

EmptyTree wrote: »
    With all the café, restaurants, takeaways etc I recon operation transformation might be doing the next full series just in Sligo. Still though, good to have somewhere to go for dinner after you've a had a coffee in town.... :rolleyes:

A business opens in a previous empty commercial premises, provides employment to locals, variety to customers and competition to existing restaurants. Maybe that is a bad thing, or if I don't understand this, I could be crass and stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Good to see people trying anyway. If it's good it should do well and if it's not it won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,765 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

it be nice for a better selection of businesses though - at one time I remember saying that Sligo would be known for a plethora of Shoe shops in the town centre at one time. The joke used to be "oh no, not another shoe shop!" - and now these days its "Oh no, not another Cafe ! (or eating establishment)" why can there be no imagination .. I dont like to see empty units either but i do like to see a good selection of retail type shops for a town centre. - cafe's are lovely but they really dont entice me to go into town because there are cafe's there I like more retail places you can actually buy products

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

it be nice for a better selection of businesses though - at one time I remember saying that Sligo would be known for a plethora of Shoe shops in the town centre at one time. The joke used to be "oh no, not another shoe shop!" - and now these days its "Oh no, not another Cafe ! (or eating establishment)" why can there be no imagination .. I dont like to see empty units either but i do like to see a good selection of retail type shops for a town centre. - cafe's are lovely but they really dont entice me to go into town because there are cafe's there I like more retail places you can actually buy products

I suspect the reason why cafes open and retail shops close is that it's difficult to buy a hot cup of coffee online and have it delivered when you want it. Retail shops are closing everywhere, and it's unlikely they will ever exist on high streets in such numbers again. Every town you go to now has lots of cafes,vaping shops, Dealz because they provide items that are perishable, convenient, often bought on the spur of moment and are not worth ordering on line (I don't know anything about the cost of vaping, but I assume when they run out, the person using them will want another one the same day).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭tinpib

Changing habits as well. People are no longer heading out getting sh!tfaced as much as they did in my day (20 years ago) they are more health conscious. I was walking round the town at 6pm one Wednesday recently and I couldn't belive how busy the restaurants were along the river.

Eala Ban, Rugantino, Fabbrica, Fiddlers, Hooked, the Bistro, while none were packed all of them had half decent crowds for an off peak time. It was a pleasant surprise.

sligoblue wrote: »
    I suspect the reason why cafes open and retail shops close is that it's difficult to buy a hot cup of coffee online and have it delivered when you want it. Retail shops are closing everywhere, and it's unlikely they will ever exist on high streets in such numbers again. Every town you go to now has lots of cafes,vaping shops, Dealz because they provide items that are perishable, convenient, often bought on the spur of moment and are not worth ordering on line (I don't know anything about the cost of vaping, but I assume when they run out, the person using them will want another one the same day).

yep your right - towns will never get back to how they used to be I dont think . shame . it can only get worse really the way online shopping has taken off and will take off even more in the future (theres always talk of same day deliveries and drone deliveries etc and god knows what other large online retailers have in mind)

I dunno whether thats what I want to see in a town centre in the end cafes and pound shops and vape shops but thats what they could end up like or going to end up like. and then if there are no good selection of shops any more then people may stop going into town so if they stop going into town and no shoppers to want refreshments whats going to all the business the cafe's etc get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

When did 5th on Teeling close?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭tinpib

marvin80 wrote: »
    When did 5th on Teeling close?

Not far off 6 months ago I'd say? Rumour I heard was offices going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Yeah, you're totally right. Lets leave these units idle and have less jobs in the locality. Much better idea.
    I'm all for jobs in Sligo, seeing all the places that have closed over the last few years has been truly awful. Many of these shops/businesses have personal stories behind them, people that went out on a limb to invest in a something and rely on it to support themselves and their family. Even worse when it closes, they have very little support because they were self employed. It's always fantastic to see new places opening up. However the sustainability of the steady stream of new cafés, restaurants etc is what I'm skeptical about. It's sad to see somewhere close particularly after 6-12 months knowing that despite someone's best efforts it didn't get enough business to continue trading or rates were increased. If people want to give restaurants/cafe's
    a go, then more power to them, but without support services (other shops, (non-alcohol) entertainment etc) I'm not sure as many places will stay open. It actually makes me sad to see the cycle of new places opening and then closing. I want these places to be successful in the long term and open for years instead of months.
    On the other hand maybe these new restaurants/cafe's will attract other businesses to open around them, maybe its the kick-start Sligo needs and that would be fantastic.
    I think it can be done, I just don't think this is how it will be done, but I'd be genuinely delighted to be proven wrong.

• Advertisement

Anyone know where I can locally purchase a replacment computer seat cover?

Thanks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/office-swivel-computer-47x50cm-backrest/dp/B013YF0296

Anyone know where I can locally purchase a replacment computer seat cover?

Thanks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/office-swivel-computer-47x50cm-backrest/dp/B013YF0296

maybe ask in somewhere like sligo office supply or somewhere similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

How where we with all that traffic chaos this morning. Dual Carriage Way closed to Sligo bound traffic at Colloney due to overturned truck, then another truck hit bridge at Ballisadare on one of the diverts.

A lot of frustrated drivers quite late for work I guess today. 15 minute journey turned into almost an hour.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    How where we with all that traffic chaos this morning. Dual Carriage Way closed to Sligo bound traffic at Colloney due to overturned truck, then another truck hit bridge at Ballisadare on one of the diverts.

A lot of frustrated drivers quite late for work I guess today. 15 minute journey turned into almost an hour.

its the snowflake or 2 we got .. sent people doolally so it has :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

its the snowflake or 2 we got .. sent people doolally so it has :D

Except it wasn't that. It was the truck that turned over and the truck that got stuck at the bridge.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Except it wasn't that. It was the truck that turned over and the truck that got stuck at the bridge.

I werent around on the roads at that time this morning (thankfully) - was there any snow or ice around on the roads there ?

I werent around on the roads at that time this morning (thankfully) - was there any snow or ice around on the roads there ?

None at all around there between 8.30 and 9.30 anyway.

wonder what it was with the lorry going across the roundabout then ? (only speculating) on phone? - tired? just a freak accident? avoiding another vehicle.

and then it gets directed to old sligo road only for another truck to get caught under a bridge! - whoever was driving that truck must of known height of his load ... then why still pursue to carry on and drive under the bridge! .. i dunno

sounded like a crazy morning anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I'm sure he was well aware of the height if his load, pity that by the time he would have known about the bridge it would have been too late to turn around. There's no signs before the coolaney road junction to warn you I believe, and he probably never drove that road before.

rizzodun wrote: »
    I'm sure he was well aware of the height if his load, pity that by the time he would have known about the bridge it would have been too late to turn around. There's no signs before the coolaney road junction to warn you I believe, and he probably never drove that road before.

Which bridge was it? The one around the S turn near Parkes Garage, or the one between Ballisadare and the N4. Either way, having to be redirected, the driver may not have been sure of the road. Would expect truck drivers to go under the one near the N4 to make deliveries, but doubt many go by Parkes any more.

• Advertisement

yes i was wondering that myself if there are any pre-warning signs of a bridge ahead and stating maximum height of vehicle - ultra bad if they dont

anyone know if the truck that got caught was just travelling down there or if it had just got diverted from the collooney roundabout crash?

The one out of Collooney village heading on the old N4 towards Ballisodare, at the S bend. It was a supertrailer I believe (higher than normal) and he was diverted just after the accident happened. The bridge at Sligo side of Ballisodare village is taller if I'm not mistaken.

rizzodun wrote: »
    The one out of Collooney village heading on the old N4 towards Ballisodare, at the S bend. It was a supertrailer I believe (higher than normal) and he was diverted just after the accident happened. The bridge at Sligo side of Ballisodare village is taller if I'm not mistaken.

ah blimey, he was diverted and and the person(s) enacting the diversion didnt thought to pull him over and tell him at time of diversion that his vehicle could hit the bridge there ...

ah blimey, he was diverted and and the person(s) enacting the diversion didnt thought to pull him over and tell him at time of diversion that his vehicle could hit the bridge there ...

It's not like diversions like this are done on a regular basis. It might not have been done by the gardai at that stage, mistakes happen.

Looks like Sligo is going to have 2 Summer Festivals - the usual one in August and another one the May Bank holiday weekend.
    Hopefully get big crowds for both.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

marvin80 wrote: »
    Looks like Sligo is going to have 2 Summer Festivals - the usual one in August and another one the May Bank holiday weekend.
    Hopefully get big crowds for both.

Any info for these?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Any info for these?
    The decision to have two was only announced yesterday.. so that's the only info so far.

they are run great as well. feels safe environment for the family and the volunteers go around clearing up litter/cups on the spot as the night goes on. nice atmosphere.

Sligo Live Festival taking place over 2 weekends in October as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement