Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Anybody know where I can get a Camping gaz 907 cylinder refill in town? Similar to this:
    https://www.omearacamping.com/camping-gaz-907-gas-butane-refill-must-collect-only-618-p.asp

• red sean wrote: »
    Anybody know where I can get a Camping gaz 907 cylinder refill in town? Similar to this:
    https://www.omearacamping.com/camping-gaz-907-gas-butane-refill-must-collect-only-618-p.asp

I noticed Gala Strandhill are now doing various gas bottles, not sure if exact same as yours, but they were outside the shop last week. And again I dont know what the tersm are ie: refill, exchange empty for full etc.

Being next to the Caravan Park they might be servicing a range of requests. Might be worth calling in to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

red sean wrote: »

If call of the wild don't, I'm guessing they could direct you to a place that does.

Thanks folks. Call of the wild used to do them but Google is saying only Halfords and Argos in Sligo :eek: (I think they mean the disposable cartridges)
    The shop in Strandhill would seem a likely spot alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Nortwest Today on Ocean FM will be discussing with the journalist on Monday Morning this piece he wrote about his (rather scathing) visit / view of Sligo ...

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2018/09/06/beyond-the-neon-runes-28/

42438125_2128666230479373_2673935179793301504_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&oh=bb002878b15ed4d19e3fd2eceb211c1c&oe=5C2E104C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

That article is a load of gibberish. He never mentioned any part of Sligo or what he found wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

sligojoek wrote: »
    That article is a load of gibberish. He never mentioned any part of Sligo or what he found wrong with it.

True but I clicked into the article for a look so well done to him on the click-bait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

sligojoek wrote: »

What a Burke he is...

I orginally just read the first few paragraphs of that article (gibberish) but went back and read the rest of it.

It mentions some very good points about the problems we're having in Ireland in relation to jobs and housing and uses Sligo as an example of places being badly impacted.
    He could have used a whole host of towns to use as an example but happened to use Sligo.

marvin80 wrote: »
    I orginally just read the first few paragraphs of that article (gibberish) but went back and read the rest of it.

It mentions some very good points about the problems we're having in Ireland in relation to jobs and housing and uses Sligo as an example of places being badly impacted.
    He could have used a whole host of towns to use as an example but happened to use Sligo.

did he even have to single out Sligo especially though - he could have done a blanket 'no names mentioned' article just as easily ...

what do you do with these kind of people - do you leave it at his article and thats that ... or do you invite them back properly, show them what Sligo is really like? - show them the sites , treat them to some local food , show them all the positives that outweigh all the negatives in his article .. then ask him to write another article to balance things up? ... I personally think that would be a good Idea. Have him back, treat him well and then maybe he could write another article and this time a positive one , just to balance things up ?

• Advertisement

The article is more about the jobs economy in Sligo and other big towns around Ireland.

For example say 50 people qualify from Sligo IT with a degree in Software Development - if those 50 people want to remain in Sligo it's very unlikely they'll all get jobs to use with their qualifications so they can either settle for a job they can find in Sligo (not specifically a job they want or spent 4 years in college aiming for) or they can look to Dublin. The problem in Dublin is accommodation and the cost of living is at ridiculous levels. As a consequence the person has to commute to the job in Dublin.

This is why a lot of towns are dying their feet - not enough jobs to keep young people there. There's no reason why big towns like Sligo can't get hundreds of knowledge based economy jobs but instead the jobs keep going to Dublin.
    I know there's been job announcements for Sligo but they need more and more jobs. I mentioned it a page or two back - people should be asking their local TDs the next time they come around looking for votes, what are they doing to get jobs into Sligo to keep young people there, interesting stat mentioned in the article:

Sligo has the lowest rate of employment growth in the country, rising by just 2.2 per cent between 2011 and 2016 – the national average is 11 per cent.

I know loads of people from Sligo who've got jobs in Dublin, now live an hour commute from Dublin - they'd love to move home but the jobs there qualified in are not there.
    Plenty of others living in Sligo and commuting to jobs in Mayo, Galway and Longford.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

The North West needs a revival in terms of knowledge based jobs. I don't see why Sligo isn't seen as a suitable location for Science and Engineering companies to locate to. I'd love nothing more than to live and work in Sligo as that's where the wife is from.

I do suppose that the M4 could be extended to Sligo or at least a much better road that bypasses smaller towns and villages such as Carrick On Shannon and Edgesworthstown.

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    The North West needs a revival in terms of knowledge based jobs. I don't see why Sligo isn't seen as a suitable location for Science and Engineering companies to locate to. I'd love nothing more than to live and work in Sligo as that's where the wife is from.

I do suppose that the M4 could be extended to Sligo or at least a much better road that bypasses smaller towns and villages such as Carrick On Shannon and Edgesworthstown.

would love to see the M4 extended myself - as far as I know collooney to boyle is being straightened out at thats about as best we are going to get any time 'soon' - I havent heard that CoS and Edgesworthstown will be getting bypassed but I like you think that should be a priority - in some respects more of a prioroty that the straightening/new carriageway between Collooney and boyle personally if it was either or

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

L.Jenkins wrote: »

I would think that there is a bias towards Science and Engineering jobs in Sligo and we probably need to diversify into Fintech.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

would love to see the M4 extended myself - as far as I know collooney to boyle is being straightened out at thats about as best we are going to get any time 'soon' - I havent heard that CoS and Edgesworthstown will be getting bypassed but I like you think that should be a priority - in some respects more of a prioroty that the straightening/new carriageway between Collooney and boyle personally if it was either or

Well the road from Mullingar to Castlebaldwin is fairly decent. My only issue would be traffic coming through towns and villages. The road between Colloney does need some form of updated carriage way. Leitrim even has a dual carriageway in parts.

What I'd also love to see is a better road from Roscommon to Boyle. At one stage, the trip from Athlone was far worse before they straightened a few sharp turns which were lethal during the winter.

Mazda dealership returning to Sligo. Martin Reilly Motors are taking it on. (didn't want to post it in 'Stores opening' thread as it's been open for years)

O'Connell Street closed today - another fire , this time in the Indulge restaurant on the street - more details here:

https://www.oceanfm.ie/2018/09/30/oconnell-street-in-sligo-town-closed-this-afternoon-due-to-a-fire/

from OceanFM:
    There has been an accident at Duck Street in Sligo. As you turn down for IT Sligo. Manorhamilton/Enniskillen turn off. Emergency Services on the scene. Diversions in place.

https://www.facebook.com/oceanfmireland/posts/2139008366111826?__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARCVdLqWwdHOriBoqz-lHnOoIJdVG_qTHNZRISm9DbzYQLPuCvl-lAz2e9BQbzcwgAiqhJgdXJSwj21ZcrsL_CNdR-WmSyCzNpcay32-BVQJU3nDy17W7s_ajWHWnkVICZokcdzKnNrfnyVkiAX27460rJilioHdjdOqKKA8WgzKZDpz4-9zwg&__tn__=-R

42892593_2139011102778219_7692490223334195200_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&oh=6acae76d11524ebbaf28f15c8bbf0a4a&oe=5C546157

42922933_2139005949445401_9217062699832180736_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&oh=5b2de5157917b7512f0621683ecf8fd9&oe=5C62A058

42925549_2139006056112057_7877870409217998848_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&oh=126325ec88290153a45633293eb52581&oe=5C1DFD23

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Thought I would pop into the new Lidl store this afternoon. Kept going when I seen the traffic backed from the carport to the relief road!

Maybe next week when the hype has died down slightly.

The old Lidl was a pleasure today. It was like a ghost town

• Advertisement

they have to do something with access / traffic management down there now - and those traffic lights at Duncans Island/bundoran road are on green for far too short too

More jobs being announced today (non-high tech.) The good news continues, long may it do so.
    https://www.oceanfm.ie/2018/10/18/minister-says-sligo-jobs-announcement-will-help-to-balance-regional-development/

this is a video from user @CantParkWontParkSligo on facebook.

I realise the car that was driving the wrong way may have not been concentrating to see the large NO ENTRY marking on the road and the signs - but push that to one side - how do you feel about the one way system in Sligo? is it confusing or could it be better laid out?

https://www.facebook.com/1808865862722736/posts/2325909387685045/

I'm gone so used to it I don't notice anymore. But I'd hate to be trying to get from, say, Dunnes Stores to the hospital in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

I realise the car that was driving the wrong way may have not been concentrating to see the large NO ENTRY marking on the road and the signs - but push that to one side - how do you feel about the one way system in Sligo? is it confusing or could it be better laid out?
    I can see his easily this could happen but looking at the video I feel a bit like this individual was chancing their arm....

EmptyTree wrote: »
    I can see his easily this could happen but looking at the video I feel a bit like this individual was chancing their arm....

I dunno, I am trying to make my mind up between maybe visitor to the town and unfamiliar with the road layout or tourist from another country in a hire car or sat nav leading them down this road , of just generally not paying attention

I'd give a flustered visitor the benefit of the doubt there but the amount of locals going across from Abbey St to Castle St is ridiculous. A Garda ANPR camera there would solve the problem in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

this is a video from user @CantParkWontParkSligo on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/1808865862722736/posts/2325909387685045/

No, I think its more an issue of people failing to read road signs, chancing their arm, or ignornace. Only the odd tourist would I give benifit of the doubt to.

Every single morning I see people going straight on from Abbey Street, onto Castle Street, even heard a Guard say to a driver, 'you are from the town, you shoud know!'

The Alleyway between John Street and Wine Street/Tesco Carpark is another example. At least 4 signs, between road markings, and physical signs, saying No Right Turn, No Entry, and people still try and come down. Met one car one day, granted they did reverse back out onto John Street when they met me, but what did they do, try and go straight back down when I exited.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

sligoblue wrote: »
    I heard the Eddie Rockets type restaurant where xtravision used to be is opening next week.
    With all the café, restaurants, takeaways etc I recon operation transformation might be doing the next full series just in Sligo. Still though, good to have somewhere to go for dinner after you've a had a coffee in town.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

EmptyTree wrote: »
    With all the café, restaurants, takeaways etc I recon operation transformation might be doing the next full series just in Sligo. Still though, good to have somewhere to go for dinner after you've a had a coffee in town.... :rolleyes:

i'd just like to know where all these establishments get all this footfall - me personally I only go out for a meal once in a blue moon because of money constraints . Its nice but when you have eaten it or drunk it ... thats it, its gone! :)

Advertisement