Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I see the Gardaí got planning permission for a new station by the Caltragh roundabout. It's a good spot, beside the inner relief road.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

panda100 wrote: »
    Hi all, I am looking for accommodation in Sligo town from May 14th to 6th July. If anyone knows of anything please let me know

What kind of rented accommodation are you looking for?
    Most students would be finishing up around that period and some sort term letting places might be free.

You could contacting IT Sligo for a list, and they have one here too but I can't say how up to date it is.
    http://www.itssu.ie/rent

Anything around the ballinode area would be mostly student accommodation just to let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I see the Gardaí got planning permission for a new station by the Caltragh roundabout. It's a good spot, beside the inner relief road.

I thought it was in Cleveragh? Either way, I think a town presence would have been better. One think seeing very few Guards on foot patrol, but another thing no having an accesable or visual building.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Either way, I think a town presence would have been better.
    Has the Borough boundary changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I thought it was in Cleveragh? Either way, I think a town presence would have been better. One think seeing very few Guards on foot patrol, but another thing no having an accesable or visual building.

The only place that would see an increase with response time compared to where the barracks is now would be the eastern side of town (Martin Savage/Cranmore area). Every other part of the county would benefit with a reduced respose as it'll be right next to an arterial road, rather than in the middle of town.
    And Sligo's not that big. Caltragh is a 10/15 minute walk from the bottom of Pearse road, and will, presumably, have better (and free) parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

Who will inflate balloons with helium in Sligo for cash? Mr.Price won't - only the ones that were bought from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

loki7777 wrote: »
    Who will inflate balloons with helium in Sligo for cash? Mr.Price won't - only the ones that were bought from them.
    Did you try SportsDirect?

Basq wrote: »
    Did you try SportsDirect?

We did. Party more(as that was the name) was closed few months ago. Sorted by Smyth's €2,5 each balloon.

• Anyone know what places in town (garages etc) that sell Propane gas (barbeque) bottles without an empty bottle/tank?

My local garage isn't able to sell me a full gas bottle without an empty bottle.

Thanks

Topaz, but won't be cheap:)

• Advertisement

• loki7777 wrote: »
    Topaz, but won't be cheap:)

Yeah €60 I'm expecting. I'm told that they are dumped sometimes at the recycling place, but that would be a very long shot.

I would say €80 without cylinder

• loki7777 wrote: »
    I would say €80 with cylinder

Maybe we are thinking different things, this is for a barbeque. Some are €18.50 with an empty bottle, BUT have to have an empty. Other places I have been to but sold out was €60 to buy bottle, or €30 if you already have an empty.

If it's the 12kg cylinder - i think it's €35 and another €35 or so for empty cylinder
    https://www.flogas.ie/residential/lpg/lpg-bottled-gas/about-our-cylinders/ - yellow one.
    Believe me i know;)

OK, should be without cylinder ~€80:)

• @loki777.

ah right you are, the other propane bottle i was looking was tiny in comparison. many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Can't figure out why they're resurfacing the stretch of road outside Rathcormack. It's probably one of the better parts of the road out that direction. Near Henry's Restaurant the road is in bits!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

My thoughts exactly. It's rough as f*ck out there. (Henrys) It would be more in their line to organise some overtaking lanes on the way out of town. I drive out that road every day and there's always someone dawdling along at 30 or 40 kmph and there;s not a chance of passing them anywhere except two places where you have to be in the right gear and ready to go if there's nothing oncoming.

What's going on in slish wood? Why do they cut out part of the forest?

So are they just laying a few pipes and adding a few more spaces in Wine Street.

Twitter and facebook announcements from the CoCo suggested improvements, but the reopened section nearest Pennys, just has a new strip of tarmac, where I assume pipes were laid, with the surrounding area, still looking like the moons surface.

• What's the story with the recent proposals by some Sligo Co-Co members to grant permission for housing developments in Strandhill?

Is this for new developmemts or re-applying for permissions previously granted but that have since lapsed?

• Advertisement

Roadworks on the N15 just outside the town on the Saturday of a Bank Holiday weekend. Ugh.......

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

They finished up there Friday afternoon, no disruptions or delays for the weekend.

They finished up there Friday afternoon, no disruptions or delays for the weekend.
    Nope, I definitely sat in a long traffic tailback yesterday morning at 11.30 waiting for the lights to change (several times) while they did work outside the row of 3/4 houses just down from Berties.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The lights were gone by lunchtime yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭T-Bird

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Roadworks on the N15 just outside the town on the Saturday of a Bank Holiday weekend. Ugh.......

The bit they started on Saturday was the only part that acutely looked liked it needed doing. The rest of it looked better than it does now.... Already 6 potholes forming on way towards town near the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

question on Tonight's Chase on challenge TV -
    Contestant went right with Galway (chose Galway because ... he hadn't heard of the other 2 ! 😲 ) ... Chaser goes wrong with Sligo

457608.jpg

you are going to think i have totally lost the plot but I came across this vertical cable lift in Hastings in the UK years ago - it was not only fun it was really convenient to get to the top especially if you suffer from COPD or disabled or just simply too lazy to climb the mountain bit still want to get to the top, great for visitors young and old. so I reckoned someone should look into seeing if its viable to put one or something similar where Knocknarea is (or one of the other mountains in Sligo)

The true name for it is a funicular, and it runs by cable underneath the carriages.

hastings-east-sussex-england-uk-east-hill-cliff-railway-east-hill-F41WCJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

With the height and distance involved a cable car might be a better bet, possibly from the glencar side using the path of the cable car to the barites mine.

dingding wrote: »
    With the height and distance involved a cable car might be a better bet, possibly from the glencar side using the path of the cable car to the barites mine.

that sounds cool too yeah

• Advertisement

Andy, we thought you lost the plot a long time ago!

:D

Advertisement