Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Andy, we thought you lost the plot a long time ago!

:D

only 'thought' ? - well that's positive :) better than a 'knew' i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭loki7777

Any place in Sligo where you could buy fresh young coconut?

loki7777 wrote: »

I hope that isn't an euphemism LOL :D

theres a place up near Taheney's electrical (cant remember name of street - but its across from where cross sections was) -I bet they have what your looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Cosgrove's

None in there:(

• Advertisement

None in there:(

aw that's a shame - really thought they would have done its a fantastic shop for all those kind of things like that. - did you try Kates Kitchen opposite them on castle street/grattan street ? , they might have

I've never heard of young coconuts. But have you tried Bismallah on Pearse road? They do all kinds of everything.

T-Bird wrote: »
    The bit they started on Saturday was the only part that acutely looked liked it needed doing. The rest of it looked better than it does now.... Already 6 potholes forming on way towards town near the end of it.

THere's a few layers of stuff gone on since. I reckon they raised it up in one part by about 18 inches or more to take some of the dip out of the road.

Those potholes could have been bore/test holes.

I was out that road this evening and it's looking good with what i think is the finishing coat.

sligojoek wrote: »
    I've never heard of young coconuts. But have you tried Bismallah on Pearse road? They do all kinds of everything.

https://www.melissas.com/Sweet-Young-Coconut-p/220.htm ;)
    I think she did(as it is not for me;) and also the one beside Riverside Hotel.

https://www.melissas.com/Sweet-Young-Coconut-p/220.htm ;)
    I think she did(as it is not for me;) and also the one beside Riverside Hotel.

ah right - its coconut without the husk and it can be eaten as a sweet snack or added to deserts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭T-Bird

THere's a few layers of stuff gone on since. I reckon they raised it up in one part by about 18 inches or more to take some of the dip out of the road.

Those potholes could have been bore/test holes.

I was out that road this evening and it's looking good with what i think is the finishing coat.

Yes they bore test holes, as you said. To be honest, they have done a lot of work. There was one stage a few layers back where they laid down metal mesh grids. Never noticed that before.

Some of the houses along the road will have quite a bump when they have finished the work.

T-Bird wrote: »
    Yes they bore test holes, as you said. To be honest, they have done a lot of work. There was one stage a few layers back where they laid down metal mesh grids. Never noticed that before.

Some of the houses along the road will have quite a bump when they have finished the work.

Two houses in particular have a level drive in now instead of going uphill. I see they've built ramps in.

I hope they fill the verges with gravel as it would be a serious drop if anyone veered too much to the left.

Did they close OCS Road today for the Save our services/ save our post offices thing ?

facebook live video

and was there really over 100 people that attended?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Those Stiefel job losses cancelled out all the job announcements in Sligo recently - such a pity.

More jobs need to be created in Sligo - if there's an election soon, the first question to ask anyone looking for a vote is 'what are you doing to get jobs to Sligo?'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

marvin80 wrote: »
    Those Stiefel job losses cancelled out all the job announcements in Sligo recently - such a pity.

More jobs need to be created in Sligo - if there's an election soon, the first question to ask anyone looking for a vote is 'what are you doing to get jobs to Sligo?'

Not really, it's horrible that GSK are pulling out and definitely no assurance to those losing their jobs, but 500 jobs are coming between Abtran and Phibro.

With GSK here until 2021 hopefully those losing their jobs get more opportunities.

Obviously something is working with jobs coming to Sligo, I just hope the momentum continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RoyC2958

Has anyone actually got or been offered a job at Abtran I've heard off loads who have applied and nothing also live tiles have a big turnover of staff apparently

ah right - its coconut without the husk and it can be eaten as a sweet snack or added to deserts

At this moment dunnes stores sells them for €2,5 if you would like to try fresh coconut water and coconut meat;)
    Look at youtube how to open it - taakes just few seconds.

At this moment dunnes stores sells them for €2,5 if you would like to try fresh coconut water and coconut meat;)
    Look at youtube how to open it - taakes just few seconds.

oooh dunnes have notions eh? :)

i might try some one of these days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Try the health food shop in the Sligo Wellness Centre on the corner of Wine Street and Quay Street, where Mr. Simms used to be. Failing that, Tír na nÓg is another place that might have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Two houses in particular have a level drive in now instead of going uphill. I see they've built ramps in.

I hope they fill the verges with gravel as it would be a serious drop if anyone veered too much to the left.

Three houses on the left going toward Rathcormac had the road as high as the top of their garden walls. They started work on all that today rebuilding and raising the walls.

• Advertisement

• Hi all.

Where in Sligo can I buy a basic mobile phone without any contract. It doesn't need to be Smart or have 3g or that sort of thing. Looking to spend €20-€50.

It just needs to have its own mobile number, a charger and be able to take phone calls. There doesn't need to be any credit on it, so no Bill-pay contracts or long term contracts to buy the phone etc.

Thanks

Hi all.

Where in Sligo can I buy a basic mobile phone without any contract. It doesn't need to be Smart or have 3g or that sort of thing. Looking to spend €20-€50.

It just needs to have its own mobile number, a charger and be able to take phone calls. There doesn't need to be any credit on it, so no Bill-pay contracts or long term contracts to buy the phone etc.

Thanks

mobile phone place opened up on o'connell street where lollypotz used to be - pretty sure they could sort you with what you are looking for - or upstairs in tesco should have a cheap pay as you go no contract basic phone for around that price

so Livetiles in Finniskillin ind estate came to Sligo offering 50 jobs, I heard the other day they have filled around 10 vacancies but for the rest of the vacancies they want to attract candidates from Dublin i think I heard on the radio news. - I dont know what to think myself I am in 2 minds I thought it would be jobs for people in sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

so Livetiles in Finniskillin ind estate came to Sligo offering 50 jobs, I heard the other day they have filled around 10 vacancies but for the rest of the vacancies they want to attract candidates from Dublin i think I heard on the radio news. - I dont know what to think myself I am in 2 minds I thought it would be jobs for people in sligo
    They're trying to attract local people back from Dublin.... nothing wrong with that!

The IT industry has only got a shot in the arm in Sligo in the last few years.. you could count technology firms on one hand up until then. The IDA and the likes of Collins McNicholas have been absolutely invaluable in giving Sligo a huge surge in new tech companies.

People from Sligo in that area who qualified before this aforementioned surge are elsewhere due to that, and believe me when I say some of these people with "big city fatigue" are itching to get back here.

Have a read of this: https://amp.independent.ie/business/irish/are-we-looking-at-silicon-sligo-winds-of-change-blowing-through-the-north-west-36991293.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

Agree with Basq, the biggest challenge that these companies is getting the more qualified candidates with many years experience. As Basq mentioned many of the graduates of the IT have fatigue with the big city and are looking for opportunities to relocate to Sligo.

It is great to provide opportunities in Sligo and remember these people will be spending their pay in Sligo which can only help the town.

We should be encouraging people to relocate / return to Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

One disturbing thing there was, at least one Tender, Cheifs jeep, a Garda Car, Ambulance, thick smoke, and a crowd still allowed to gather close by, and people still walking down street towards it all.

Thankfully, no injuries, or fatalities.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    One disturbing thing there was, at least one Tender, Cheifs jeep, a Garda Car, Ambulance, thick smoke, and a crowd still allowed to gather close by, and people still walking down street towards it all.

Thankfully, no injuries, or fatalities.

too right -

your right the whole area should have been cleared/evacuated bar emergency services . say if some canisters exploded or something

too right -

your right the whole area should have been cleared/evacuated bar emergency services . say if some canisters exploded or something

I've been up on that top floor. It's living quarters. Tricky used to stay there if he was working late.

But either way people shouldn't have been allowed that close. I was there about 1.00. It was only when the ambulance and fire engine with the extendable ladder arrived that they cleared the street.

• Advertisement

I've been up on that top floor. It's living quarters. Tricky used to stay there if he was working late.

But either way people shouldn't have been allowed that close. I was there about 1.00. It was only when the ambulance and fire engine with the extendable ladder arrived that they cleared the street.

I wonder if the emergency services have standard emergency plans in action - i mean say if it wasnt a fire - say if it was a bomb or incendry device in there and it caught alight especially these times (what threat level are we on in Ireland at the moment?) ... it should be standard these days for a Garda car with 2 guards get there first and anyone crowding or walking towards it shouted to "GET BACK!" and no arguments and shops evacuated and road shut off immedietly ... it shouldnt get to a case where a fire enging turns up and there are still people crowding taking photos on their phone and walking towards it that close - god help if something did blow up or an explosion of gas bottles or crates of spirit and the widows blew out and shards of glass showered the people near it, then there would have to be an enquiry as to how the public were there that close in the first place! - maybe i am thinking over the top but it didnt look like a tiny little fire to me!

Advertisement