Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

hussey wrote: »
    well which one? You had a very carefree attitude the previous page.

I am picking at this, just in case of the 1 in a Million chance that someone will follow suit rather than taking a more logical approach.

Well that's when I thought abortions were €5,000 a pop and I could never avail of one.

Now it appears I could afford to have many abortions, so induced miscarriages have moved down from people a realistic possibility to being a last resort.

To me saying I'd induce miscarriage doesn't seem so big, as a year ago I would have told you if I fell pregnant I would kill myself, and I'd have been deadly serious too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's fuking terrifying having a slip-up when you're very young (not specifically directing that at you Piste, but in general) - I was 18 and out of school. To a 15 or 16-year-old schoolgirl, oh Christ, doesn't bear thinking about... You DO become desperate and suddenly your principles can become very compromised. It might seem callous and selfish to someone on the outside looking in, but the circumstances dictate this. It doesn't make you a bad person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

If I were to become pregnant now, at 17, I would have an abortion. I believe it is wrong to use abortion as a method of contraception, but accidents happen when people are careful too. I don't know if I ever want children, let alone before I finish school. The feelings of my boyfriend would be important to me, it is just as much his decision as it is mine, but I know he'd feel the same way as I do as it's something we've previously discussed. I think it is incredibly wrong that women are forced to travel to other countries if they want an abortion, it adds extra stress and expense at a very traumatic time. Hopefully it will be legalised here, I see no reason why it shouldn't be.

Grand :pac:

I've always been very pro-choice when it comes to this, I also feel very strongly about the partner of the woman to be informed and be given the choice too, as a family member of mine has been left in the dark with 2 abortions already that his wife hadn't told him about, which if done to me would be a HUGE betrayal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Pyr0 wrote: »
    Grand :pac:

I've always been very pro-choice when it comes to this, I also feel very strongly about the partner of the woman to be informed and be given the choice too, as a family member of mine has been left in the dark with 2 abortions already that his wife hadn't told him about, which if done to me would be a HUGE betrayal.

Absolutely agree. If you are in a relationship and feel you would consider abortion if you accidentally became pregnant, surely this is a very important thing to discuss with your partner before it actually happens.

I'd tell my OH.

And that's "tell", not "ask the opinion of".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Why wouldn't you get his opinion ? Fair enough if you're with him 2 weeks and it was nothing at all serious, but if its 2+ years would you not look for his opinion then ?

No not really...it's be along the lines of "I'm pregnant and having an abortion" "but I don't agree with abortion"

"Tough sh!t".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Yeah it would be a deal breaker for me. If you don't want the same things from the relationship - like a child conceived by accident - then there are problems. Luckily my boy and I think the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I'd be interested to know how many staunch Pro-Life supporters changed their attitudes when they realised they themselves were up the duff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Im glad this thread hasnt turned into the ins and out of philosophical arguments on foetus evoloution which abortion threads oft do.I wanted it to be a more practical thread cos obviously Irish women do get abortions.

I think Im pretty much the same as everyone else here. I think when I was younger I would have been so sh*t scared of having a baby that I definalty would have contmeplated having an abortion. However,being a bit older now If I got pregnant tommorow I would keep the baby regardless If I was in a steady relationship or not,wether the child was disabled or not would not change my descision. However the chances of me getting pregnant any day soon are slim to nil such is the state of my love life ,one pro of eternal singledom :)

, However i dont believe the Morning after pill should be available over the counter as It would be abused to an extent.

The MAP is already really abused in Ireland. Most of my friends have got it at least 10 times,yet its only meant to be used as emergency contraception.
    I think it should definatly be sold over the counter cos at the moment many young women are scared of going to their local gp, who probably knows them and their family and asking for the MAP,there is a huge stigma attached to it.

Also the economics of it,a young women must pay for the cost of the doctor visit and the price of the MAP as well. I remember once I got it in Limerick and I had to pay €50 for the docs and then more money €20 or something for the MAP and these other tablets that stop you from getting sick. Over the counter will get rid of the expensive roundabout way It is at the mo.

Piste wrote: »

The only thing is the money issue, if I didn't have the money or the father wouldn't go 50:50 I would probably try to indue miscarriage: shoulders of vodka, lots of nurofen, try to get the abortion pill online. Tbh I wouldn't mind screwing up my body and damaging myself if it got the thing out of me.

While what you say Is shocking,Im sure Its a reality for many girls.I know If I had got pregnant I think at any age up till 21 I would have freaked out.The thought of telling my parents would have scared me so much and being a poor student I would not have had the money to go to England so I probably would have done something stupid like this. Im sure there are many girls who do.

As for women being traumatised after an abortion,I really think this depends on the person involved. I think you know in your gut wether its the right descision for you or not.I think most people are perfectly fine after they've had abortions.
    I think what is traumatising many Irish women Is having to get out huge loans to travel to a foreign country.It must be horrible having to stay in a lonely hotel room and not your own bed,deal with a differnt healthsytem and not your own doctor and then on your return not being able to talk to anyone about it. Then on top of all this you have the worry of all the expenses of flights,accomodation and the cost of the procedure itself.

• Advertisement

To be honest this thread has been somewhat of a relief, finding out an abortion is only a couple hundred euro. It's a nice thing to know, if worst comes to worst.

WindSock wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know how many staunch Pro-Life supporters changed their attitudes when they realised they themselves were up the duff?
    This is very much what it boils down to - in a state of panic and desperation, one's principles can get thrown out the window very, very fast.

What ever happened to the Aurora?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

WindSock wrote: »
    What ever happened to the Aurora?
    It was destroyed by two Wraith cruisers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

This thread reminded me of when my flatmate had an oul one night special with some girl he met in a club about a year ago. They had unprotected sex in our flat, and he wanted to get the morning after pill for her.

As he's a doctor, he can just prescribe it for her. So he legged it down the road to our local chemist to get it, with his prescription pad, while she was still in bed. Just before he went in the door of the pharmacy, he realised that he had no ID on him. You're supposed to have ID to show you're a doc if you're going to self prescribe.

He rang me and said "Tallaght01, will you pop down here with your work badge and write this prescription?". "No bother", says I. So, I met him outside and we went in.

Totally crowded shop, with lots of people behind us in the Q. So, we both say, kinda in unison "we need to morning after pill".

This chemist and all these grannies are staring at the two of us. You could just hear what they were saying in their mind...."Eh, blokes can't get pregnant you know that?".

The chemist just looks really embarrassed. How's he gonna expain to these two dumb gay guys that they can't get pregnant? Then we tell him we're doctors and he looks even more concerned for the future of humanity.

"emmmm, do you know what this pill does? It doesn't protect against STDs. It's just a form of contraception".

Me and Dave just looked at him, as we hadn't quite figured out what was going on here.

Then the penny dropped and Dave realised. "Ohhhhhh noooooo, it's not for us. No, no, we're not....ya know. No, it's for a girl that's back in our flat".

So, he gave it to us just to get rid of us. Obviously, one of my patient's parents was standing in the Q.

I can just imagine the chat in the waiting room at the next clinic though "Did you know Dr. Tallaght01 is gay and had a weird 3some last saturday night, and they nearly made the girl pregnant. I saw him in the chemist with his boyfriend trying to get the pill so they wouldn't get AIDS.....".

I bought me flatmate a box of condoms, too. He's a bandit for going bareback all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

When the Aurora was here it was snowed under with phone calls looking for information but was unable to see women as clients due to the laws here.

tallaght01 wrote: »
    This thread reminded me of when my flatmate had an oul one night special with some girl he met in a club about a year ago. They had unprotected sex in our flat, and he wanted to get the morning after pill for her.

As he's a doctor, he can just prescribe it for her. So he legged it down the road to our local chemist to get it, with his prescription pad, while she was still in bed. Just before he went in the door of the pharmacy, he realised that he had no ID on him. You're supposed to have ID to show you're a doc if you're going to self prescribe.

He rang me and said "Tallaght01, will you pop down here with your work badge and write this prescription?". "No bother", says I. So, I met him outside and we went in.

Totally crowded shop, with lots of people behind us in the Q. So, we both say, kinda in unison "we need to morning after pill".

This chemist and all these grannies are staring at the two of us. You could just hear what they were saying in their mind...."Eh, blokes can't get pregnant you know that?".

The chemist just looks really embarrassed. How's he gonna expain to these two dumb gay guys that they can't get pregnant? Then we tell him we're doctors and he looks even more concerned for the future of humanity.

"emmmm, do you know what this pill does? It doesn't protect against STDs. It's just a form of contraception".

Me and Dave just looked at him, as we hadn't quite figured out what was going on here.

Then the penny dropped and Dave realised. "Ohhhhhh noooooo, it's not for us. No, no, we're not....ya know. No, it's for a girl that's back in our flat".

So, he gave it to us just to get rid of us. Obviously, one of my patient's parents was standing in the Q.

I can just imagine the chat in the waiting room at the next clinic though "Did you know Dr. Tallaght01 is gay and had a weird 3some last saturday night, and they nearly made the girl pregnant. I saw him in the chemist with his boyfriend trying to get the pill so they wouldn't get AIDS.....".

I bought me flatmate a box of condoms, too. He's a bandit for going bareback all the time.
    Fantastic! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

*cleaning banana off my screen*

Classic tallaght classic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It was destroyed by two Wraith cruisers.
    Those damn Wraith. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I'm pro life but i have never been in those circumstances maybe then i would have a different opinion.

There is many forms of contraceptive nowadays

Dont be silly wrap the willy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

I'm pro-life and I can't ever see my mind changing on it, no matter how dire the circumstances. Women close to me have had abortions in the past and I still can't fathom how they ever came to peace with their decision.
    Until the world of science can draw the line where an inanimate group of cells becomes a human being, I don't think we should have the choice to terminate. Who are we to say there's a difference in consiousness between a first trimester foetus and an almost developed baby? Im sure most people would find the description of a late-term abortion posted by Dudess horrifing, so where exactly do you draw the line where abortion becomes acceptable?
    Just because abortion is legal in Britian and thus women have to endure a journey there to have an abortion does not mean it should be leagalised here just to end that trauma. That's a completely invalid argument. We are our own country and have the privilage to write our own laws.
    Piste's wreckless attitiude is hugely disturbing, I hope it's not typical of young Irish girls.

Well maybe if abortion were made less of a stigma and was freely available young girls like me wouldn't have to have such a wreckless attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Piste wrote: »
    Well maybe if abortion were made less of a stigma and was freely available young girls like me wouldn't have to have such a wreckless attitude.

Oh come on now, I'm the same age as you and I were pregnant I wouldn't start drinking excessive amounts of vodka or taking pills, it's just stupid. Might as well throw yourself down the stairs at that rate :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

cuckoo wrote: »
    I wonder how many people have discussed the 'what if...?' question with their sexual partners. I always do, and get a variety of responses, but a common theme is 'um, never really thought about that...' and 'you're the first to raise this issue with me, hmmm'.

Funny, only had that conversation with my boyfriend yesterday. Can't say I was too overwhelmed with his response "Well obviously you'd get rid of it"....I think that was just a knee jerk reaction, the more I pressed him on it the more I understood his response and that he doesn't want children until he's ready, neither do I but if it happens then I hope he'll be a bit more supportive than his initial Get rid of it remark. I'm sure he would be. Don't know what I'd do myself at this very moment if it happened. Wouldn't be as bad as a few years ago when I was in college etc, at least now I'm in a loving relationship and can afford it more but I still don't know what I'd do. I guess you never truly know what you would do until it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'm not Pro-life I am Anti-Abortion and I don't feel that an Abortion can be a woman's choice. If she wants to take her own life all fine and Dandy I don't care but she is Killing a child who had no chance.

By not Pro-life I mean there are people in this world who deserve to die for the choices they made. But a foetus has made no choices yet so I am Anti-Abortion.

Oh come on now, I'm the same age as you and I were pregnant I wouldn't start drinking excessive amounts of vodka or taking pills, it's just stupid. Might as well throw yourself down the stairs at that rate :rolleyes:

That would be plan C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

100% pro-life but that said I don't judge people on their own decisions. Everyone has their own opinion, I wouldn't think any less of someone who had an abortion even though I'm absolutely against it. I can't even began imagining having to make that decision.... much of the time peoples opinions shift with their situation so it's easy for people like me to give an opinion I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Maybe it's the philosophy student in me but I'm terribly ammused by the people who have faith that science will one day be able to tell us with absolute certainty when a human life begins. The value one places on a human life isn't something measurable by science, which can tell us interesting things about physical development and so forth that are pretty much beside the point.

Personally I've never been swayed by the notion that life is intrinsically valuable and have no ethical objection to abortion. I few years ago my attitude was quite similar to Piste's.

If I got pregenant tomorrow? On the one hand I have a decent income and am pretty much over educated (almost two in fact) so I wouldn't have to panic and any decision I made would be incredibly difficult I can't say for sure but I'd probably want to keep the baby. On the other hand my teenage brother's gf is having twins in a month or so and having seen what it's done to my parents I'd be very reluctant to put them through all that again. I really don't think it's a decission ayone can understand untill they've had to make it for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Please say you dont use this terminology wth your patients!!!

Normal doctor consultation: Did you have unprotected sex last night?
    Dr Tallaght consulatation: So did you ride her bareback last night ?

Advertisement