Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

max life wrote: »
    Yeah i agree she played the part in Glenroe very well. Esther is very similar in many ways. But for some reason, she seems very wooden. Not sure why though.

I'd put it down to the quality of the writing at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

Jane Eyre wrote: »
    I've been a long time lurker on here but am a very loyal viewer, so can clarify that Hannah's house was ALWAYS a bungalow. After she died, Suzanne and the Doyles sold it to Dominic and Tracey. The discussion about moving the bed downstairs was about Rita's house after Rita had the stroke. I don't remember anybody ever mentioning an upstairs in Traceys. I am very eagle eyed about this and many years ago wrote to them to point out that Mags was using the same tea cosy as Hannah!

There is a stairs in that house. From around the time Dean was with Tracey and when Kylie drugged Dean
    Deise Tom wrote: »
    Could but not notice that Tracey was wearing the dress she went up stairs in when she came down with the dressing gown on. Another bit of a cock up. Would not be new with RTE.
    Its amazing that a weak looking female like Kylie could carry the weight of an average sized male up the stairs. I would say most women in her boots last night would have left Dean sleep on the sofa.

Epicurus wrote: »
    There is a stairs in that house. From around the time Dean was with Tracey and when Kylie drugged Dean

Someone went to a lot of trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭MS.MONEYPENNY

I'd put it down to the quality of the writing at times.
    Emmmh ?.....I know the writing can be weak at times and it could be part of the problem but I find it hard to blame the writers on this, I think an actor with so much experience would compensate weak writing with their ability to make it believable, I think she is just not suited to the production speed of FC, she's just a different kind of actor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I knew she must have been an 'irish actor' previously - wasn't a fan of Glenroe so didn't realise she was in that at all.

I didn't think Anna Manahan (ursula) was great in it either, despite her pedigree as an actress also. Perhaps it's the way fc is a soap, and is obviously so very different to stage acting, that they find it hard to make the adjustment? I dunno...

Really think they should get a big story around the doctor and her family - all appear to be great actors, even the youngest child....:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I've been a long time lurker on here but am a very loyal viewer, so can clarify that Hannah's house was ALWAYS a bungalow. After she died, Suzanne and the Doyles sold it to Dominic and Tracey.
    The discussion about moving the bed downstairs was about Rita's house after Rita had the stroke.
    I don't remember anybody ever mentioning an upstairs in Traceys. I am very eagle eyed about this and many years ago wrote to them to point out that Mags was using the same tea cosy as Hannah!

Welcome and thank you for delurking :) Nice to see you posting.. :)

onway wrote: »
    Did Dr.Judith and family move into Dolores old house..........if so,they must have built some flat-pack instant extension......

Yes they moved into Dolores house, they did a good job extending it and making it bigger :D

Emmmh ?.....I know the writing can be weak at times and it could be part of the problem but I find it hard to blame the writers on this, I think an actor with so much experience would compensate weak writing with their ability to make it believable, I think she is just not suited to the production speed of FC, she's just a different kind of actor

I dont know, i would still blame the writing. There is no doubt Eileen Colgan is a good actress. She was one of the stars of Glenroe which was superbly written. Anna Manahan was also a great actress. She was brilliant in The Irish RM. Both Eileen and Anna however struggled in Fair City. You cant but wonder why. Its not as if both are/were over worked by the soap.

On the other hand Brian Murray and Eamon Kelly who are amongst the countries top actors are brilliant in Fair City as they are in all other projects they undertake.

I dont know, i would still blame the writing. There is no doubt Eileen Colgan is a good actress. She was one of the stars of Glenroe which was superbly written. Anna Manahan was also a great actress. She was brilliant in The Irish RM. Both Eileen and Anna however struggled in Fair City. You cant but wonder why. Its not as if both are/were over worked by the soap.

On the other hand Brian Murray and Eamon Kelly who are amongst the countries top actors are brilliant in Fair City as they are in all other projects they undertake.
    Thats why I'm thinking it might be the production speed of FC, and some actors just adapt better than others to the pressure.

Fittle wrote: »
    I knew she must have been an 'irish actor' previously - wasn't a fan of Glenroe so didn't realise she was in that at all.

I didn't think Anna Manahan (ursula) was great in it either, despite her pedigree as an actress also. Perhaps it's the way fc is a soap, and is obviously so very different to stage acting, that they find it hard to make the adjustment? I dunno...

Really think they should get a big story around the doctor and her family - all appear to be great actors, even the youngest child....:)
    I'm playing a game of catch up and haven't really got to know the Dillon family yet, so far I've been impressed by the Dad and the youngest daughter, the Dr. can be a little stagey at times but I'll sit on the fence a little while longer :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Welcome back Miss Moneypenny - Keith was amazing - really down to earth and smells lovely.

Why is Avi gone - has he gone to do film work.

deelite wrote: »
    Welcome back Miss Moneypenny - Keith was amazing - really down to earth and smells lovely.

Why is Avi gone - has he gone to do film work.

I would say the actor has gone to do more modelling rather than film work. Judging by the link below:

http://www.uk.castingcallpro.com/view.php?uid=237809

To be honest, I find him so poor, I am glad he is off screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

I was wondering if there is any news on Robin coming back to Carrigstown? She was only supposed to be gone for a year.
    Where has Angela gone? She is mentioned now and again but it must be more than a year since she was on screen...:confused::confused:

angel01 wrote: »
    Yes they moved into Dolores house, they did a good job extending it and making it bigger :D

You have got to be kidding - that massive kitchen the doctors family have is dolores old house:eek::eek:

Now that's just downright laziness from fc - they would have had to flatten her house to make it look remotely like it does now - and not a jcb in sight, nor did damien get a job with any of the paintwork!!!!

I thought they had bought an apartment on the quays or something to be honest, because I missed it for a while when they arrived.

I was wondering if there is any news on Robin coming back to Carrigstown? She was only supposed to be gone for a year.
    Where has Angela gone? She is mentioned now and again but it must be more than a year since she was on screen...:confused::confused:

The actress who plays Robin is now an author so I doubt she will come back.

Angela was a bit part of a character, nothing more really.

angel01 wrote: »
    The actress who plays Robin is now an author so I doubt she will come back.

Angela was a bit part of a character, nothing more really.

I'd disagree that angela was a 'bit part' - I thought she was a great character and she was in it for a good while at one stage. I await Robin's first book with baited breath;)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jane Eyre

Epicurus wrote: »

Ehhhh.. we never saw Kyle dragging Dean up the stairs because she didn't have to... because it''s a bungalow!

Also regarding Dolores' house being sold to Judith- there was quite a number of weeks between the sale going through and the Dillons moving in and there was certainly scenes where Judith was hassling Damien to get work done on the house and the surgery. Also Dearbhla was asking Avi about the snag list on the house. Having said all that, it does seem questionable that the whole revamp of the house could have been done by Pete, Avi and Damien in such a short time.

Thanks for the welcome Angel01. I've been watching FC since it started in 1989 and have endured quite a lot of slagging but I must admit that I'm highly amused by the number of people who think it's rubbish who find the time and have the inclination to comment here.

Thanks for the welcome Angel01. I've been watching FC since it started in 1989 and have endured quite a lot of slagging but I must admit that I'm highly amused by the number of people who think it's rubbish who find the time and have the inclination to comment here.

I don't think anyone here said it's rubbish.

Part of the 'fun' of being a fair city fan is being able to criticise some of the lazy storylines, the lack of consistency in the storylines and the sets. They leave themselves open to criticism constantly by (for example) getting a doctor to buy a 2 up-2 down corporation house, and having it refurbished to palatial style within a matter of weeks.

I honestly don't know any other 'fans' of the programme who don't, at some point, have a laugh about various stories or characters...and as I mentioned before, this is the Fair City Thread and all comments should be welcomed, good and bad. Have you had a look at any of the other soap threads (EE, CS etc) - hundreds of criticisms there, all taken in the spirit they're intended and not one 'fan' jumping to the defence of the programme (and seeming to take it quite personally:confused:), which is what happens here.

We are all entitled to our opinions....whether we agree with each other or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jane Eyre

Fittle wrote: »
    I don't think anyone here said it's rubbish.

Part of the 'fun' of being a fair city fan is being able to criticise some of the lazy storylines, the lack of consistency in the storylines and the sets. They leave themselves open to criticism constantly by (for example) getting a doctor to buy a 2 up-2 down corporation house, and having it refurbished to palatial style within a matter of weeks.

I honestly don't know any other 'fans' of the programme who don't, at some point, have a laugh about various stories or characters...and as I mentioned before, this is the Fair City Thread and all comments should be welcomed, good and bad. Have you had a look at any of the other soap threads (EE, CS etc) - hundreds of criticisms there, all taken in the spirit they're intended and not one 'fan' jumping to the defence of the programme (and seeming to take it quite personally:confused:), which is what happens here.

We are all entitled to our opinions....whether we agree with each other or not.

I just read back over what I wrote and I must apologise. Of course there is always room for healthy debate. I myself was critical of the speed with which the Dillons house was done. I guess I was just pointing out that there seemed to be a number of people who only ever come on to this thread to be hyper critical and I just think its weird. If I saw a show that I thought was real tripe, I simply wouldn't watch it again. But sorry if I came across badly.

I just read back over what I wrote and I must apologise. Of course there is always room for healthy debate. I myself was critical of the speed with which the Dillons house was done. I guess I was just pointing out that there seemed to be a number of people who only ever come on to this thread to be hyper critical and I just think its weird. If I saw a show that I thought was real tripe, I simply wouldn't watch it again. But sorry if I came across badly.

No need to apologise:). I don't think the people who think it's really tripe are here at all - they don't watch it. It's others, who accept it for what it is and feel entitled to comment. Ever read the LLS thread? Almost every comment is negative, almost every comment slags off RT etc etc and yet, it has thousands of comments, so those same people are still watching it.

• Advertisement

deelite wrote: »
    Thanks Deelite! :D How lucky are you!! Oh what a lovely thought about Keith, I really wish I had smell-a-vision now!! I will think of that everytime I see him. I'm so happy he's as nice as I thought he would be...... I'm so jealous

Are there any characters that anybody would like to see back in FC?
    I would like to see Duncan back...he was always up to no good. It would be good if maybe Louise and Darren could come back aswell..even if just for a visit. Also would like to see Jasmine back. I think there would be fireworks between her and Yvonne - FC needs some bitchiness every now and again ;);)

I would like to see Duncan back...he was always up to no good. It would be good if maybe Louise and Darren could come back aswell..even if just for a visit. Also would like to see Jasmine back. I think there would be fireworks between her and Yvonne - FC needs some bitchiness every now and again ;);)
    Me too, I'd love to see Duncan back, there was so much more he could have got up to! I really enjoyed the character. I would also love to see the real Carol back! Putting her with Christy completely sucked the life out of her character. Please remind me who Jasmine was? I think a good idea for a new "bitch" is to bring in Louie's ex, just imagine the fireworks between her and Carol! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I think a good idea for a new "bitch" is to bring in Louie's ex, just imagine the fireworks between her and Carol! :D
    I've been saying this for months. We need to more to Louie's character. I would love to see his wife and kids show up. Any excuse to have Louie on screen would do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i liked angela and i would love to see jasmine back. it's been a long time since she left!
    definitely wouldn't want to see robin back. she was irritating

also, welcome back ms. moneypenny!

Me too, I'd love to see Duncan back, there was so much more he could have got up to! I really enjoyed the character. I would also love to see the real Carol back! Putting her with Christy completely sucked the life out of her character. Please remind me who Jasmine was? I think a good idea for a new "bitch" is to bring in Louie's ex, just imagine the fireworks between her and Carol! :D
    Jasmine was Hannahs granddaughter. Her and Yvonne didnt get on because Yvonne was jealous that jasmine and hannah ran rainbows together. She was a bit of eye candy aswell ;)

jos28 wrote: »
    I've been saying this for months. We need to more to Louie's character. I would love to see his wife and kids show up. Any excuse to have Louie on screen would do ;)
    It's a great idea! Angel and myself were saying it a few months ago aswell. With his problems with drugs in the past, maybe his ex could have ended up with a big Druglord ie.... Richie ;) There has to be a big story behind Louie somewhere, not a silly love triangle between a barmaid and the local shopkeeper :rolleyes:
    Jasmine was Hannahs granddaughter. Her and Yvonne didnt get on because Yvonne was jealous that jasmine and hannah ran rainbows together. She was a bit of eye candy aswell ;)
    Oh yeah! I forgot all about her!

Anne Clarke, Hughie and Natalie, Barry's first wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

Maybe it's a dormer bungalow :confused:

I think because it was Hannahs old house I just always assumed it was a typical 2 up 2 down but I don't ever remember whether there was really a stairs or not.

I wish Damien would give his own house a lick of paint, all those dark colours are there since Tess and Marty's time :( Could really do with brightening the place up.

Is Tracey coming back anytime? I'm guessing she's on maternity leave judging by the big bags she used to carry in front of her stomach

• Advertisement

I would love the following back:

Anne Clarke
    Jimmy Doyle
    Louise Doyle
    Robin Doyle
    Duncan
    Tracey :(
    Kay
    Charlie's daughter (forget her name :o )
    Ken
    Pauline
    Troy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement