Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Misticles wrote: »
    First experience of assigned seating...
    Everyone still queued up at the gate, not sure if this to make sure they get space for their bag as now they are only taking 80 bags on board or old habits.

There was no structure to boarding like aer lingus has maybe a matter of time before it's implemented like this.

I had two free seats beside me but my partner who was at the very last row ( was under a different reference) was not allowed move beside me as we were in different sections and you can only move if you are in the same section. Maybe some hidden logic behind it but I'm not sure what that could be.

Interesting. I have travelled with EJ and with a person who booked seperately. EasyJet always allocate single travellers aisle rows, so we guessed (correctly, on both occasions) that if we printed off our boarding passes within a minute of each other (only a matter of a phone call to confirm when to do so)we would get aisle seats opposite each other. worked on both occasions.

On the subject of where seats are allocated, agree they fill from the rear first, and this is easy enough to spot if you print off outward and return boarding passes at the same time. On the outward leg (maybe a day or so before flight*) you are much more likely to get a middle of the aircraft seat, on the return leg a back of the aircraft seat. If you print off your return leg later, more likely to get a middle of aircraft seat. In my experience couples always get window/middle seats.

*EJ allow boarding passes to be printed 31 days in advance, but if you do print off that early you will ALWAYS get a rear seat. I have never yet been allocated a 'free' seat further up than row 14, and that was holding back until near the flight !! With Aer Lingus I have managed row 7 on free seating on a few occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Easyjet do not always allocate aisle seats for single travellers. Out of 4 times using their allocated seating, 3 times they put me in the middle seat (this was checking in 2 weeks prior). I now pay the £3 to select a window or aisle seat.

A Dub in Glasgo: as you were allocated a middle seat, this effectively meant that the 3 seats in that row were 'single' seats. Doubt that they would allocate 2 single seats to a couple, and split them up, with you in the middle.

Maybe I have just been lucky. Either way, I have never been allocated a middle seat (so far).

Thought: Couple purchase two seats at £3 each and CHOOSE an aisle seat/window seat, hoping that nobody will be allocated the middle seat?? I have witnessed a couple hogging the whole row and when another passenger went to sit in middle seat one of them moved in from the aisle seat. Admittedly this is more likely to happen on Ryanair with unallocated seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Interesting thread over on Travel on the new improved caring sharing Ryanair

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057146068

The jist is that a passenger was able to change, for free, their flight not only time but originating airport ie Dublin to Shannon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

So far from what I I have seen allocated seating hasn't really worked, people are still piling onto the plane, many don't know it's allocated seating and only discover this when the cabin crew mention it to them and then people are looking to sit together but ultimately they'll have to sit in separate seats unless they checked in at the same time and still no guarantee they'll get seats together.

I usually travel alone too and don't like being sandwiched in the middle and the last 2 flights just my luck allocated a middle row seat just waited until the very end, walked on and sat on the outside.

FR have also not kept their promise to refrain from playing the annoying on time jingle on early morning flights, jaysus last week's flight from LBA - Dub departed 28 minutes late and true to form they still played it upon arrival.

So yeah the same old FR really, nothing major has changed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

jonnny68 wrote: »
    FR have also not kept their promise to refrain from playing the annoying on time jingle on early morning flights, jaysus last week's flight from LBA - Dub departed 28 minutes late and true to form they still played it upon arrival.

Did it arrive late?

according to ryanair website it takes 65 minutes to LBA from Dublin, almost impossible not to arrive on time.

Just back from Faro with EJ. Both journeys full or nearly fully, allocated seating (just over a year now I think)so no rushing or pushing, boarded from rear if you were rows 15 -26 from front 1-14. Bags were taken off both of us in Belfast and put in hold as the flight was full. Just advised by staff to take out any valuables etc before they labelled bags.

:) no fanfare but both flights were on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Cant really gauge the tone or direction of this comment - but funnily I just had the exact same experience with Ryanair flying back from BCN, allocated seating, 1 carry on each and 1 small each bag also, flight was full so we were asked to leave our carry on's in the tunnel, they were put in the hold and were waiting for us when we got back to Dublin.

• Advertisement

MOH wrote: »
    Did it arrive late?

Did you not see I said 28 minutes late, most FR flights depart late but because they vastly overestimate flight times they still have the audacity to claim they are Europe's most on time airline.

How do you define departure time?

joeysoap wrote: »
    according to ryanair website it takes 65 minutes to LBA from Dublin, almost impossible not to arrive on time.

Just back from Faro with EJ. Both journeys full or nearly fully, allocated seating (just over a year now I think)so no rushing or pushing, boarded from rear if you were rows 15 -26 from front 1-14. Bags were taken off both of us in Belfast and put in hold as the flight was full. Just advised by staff to take out any valuables etc before they labelled bags.

:) no fanfare but both flights were on time.

It actually takes on average 37 minutes approx but I've been on flights where flight time was as little as 28 minutes, I made a point of timing flights myself and the average was 37 minutes about 95% of the time, occasionally more, occasionally less.

How do you define departure time?
    The plane taking off at the time it said it would and not late!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭orionm_73

The 65 mins in the timetable would be the time the chocks are taken off the wheels to the time they are placed on at the arrival airport. It would be calculated to include the longest taxi times probable at each airport too. So while the flight time might only be 35 mins the trip time would be considerably longer.
    The plane taking off at the time it said it would and not late

Departure time is not the time the aircraft takes off....

The plane taking off at the time it said it would and not late!!!

No wonder you have a bee in your bonnet, the departure time is when it leaves the gate/stand. It is not the time the plane takes off (I am pretty sure this was explained previously!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Weirdo :rolleyes:

Is there a point to this?

jonny68 - re-read the response from a couple of years ago

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78171804&postcount=2350

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

So Ryanair flights aren't mysteriously 'longer' than others would be on the route and almost always end up arriving well ahead of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Did you not see I said 28 minutes late, most FR flights depart late but because they vastly overestimate flight times they still have the audacity to claim they are Europe's most on time airline.

No, I saw you say it "departed" 28 minutes late. You didn't say anything about whether it arrived on time, which would seem to be more relevant to them playing the jingle. (Unless they have another jingle that they play whenever they depart on time, but that must be new.)

And as for "vastly overestimating flight times", that's been done to death on this thread already.

Besides, when you book the flight, you know what time the flight is due there at. Why do you care if it leaves after the scheduled departure time, once it arrives on time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I know this is a RY forum but my rant this morning is with our esteemed 'flag carrier'. Looking for flights end September, flexible on dates and time. A/L have a discount if you book return journey of 15%. Fair enough. No discount if you book single journey. Fair enough. But to apply a surcharge of almost 20% on top of the 'quoted' price seems a bit extreme ie return flight faro to dublin booked as a return is €82 less discount 15% coming in around €74 when you include the credit card charge. Single journey from faro to dublin - same flight is quoted as €103 with no discount. Ryanair are at least true to their word on their being a point to point airline - no penalty for taking a single flight. (Have already booked RY to Porto (€55 each :) ) and Porto to Faro - also RY - after a weekend in Porto (€30 each :)) so just need to book single home.

This is pure rubbish. There is no "discount" for returns, there's the price that's offered when you chose to book, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭enricoh

hi, i booked a weekend away for me n missus for crimbo for last weekend.
    i printed off the boarding pass and it only allowed me print off the flight from dublin outbound. i was running late at work n i said i'd print off the return leg in some internet cafe over there.

when on holiday i realised that i had booked thursday 20th feb to sunday 23rd march instead of thursday 20th feb -sunday23rd feb. over 500 euro to get back. complete fook up i know but ryanair helpline told me to sod off.
    just wondering is there any other avenue to try n get a refund, even on the flight we are not using as 500 is a major kick in the nuts.

would the new cuddly o leary image gimme a break?!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can change flights for a fee + the difference in fare, which you missed the chance to do. That is it - there is absolutely no other way you'll get anything else from them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

You can claim your tax back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I know this is a RY forum but my rant this morning is with our esteemed 'flag carrier'. Looking for flights end September, flexible on dates and time. A/L have a discount if you book return journey of 15%. Fair enough. No discount if you book single journey. Fair enough. But to apply a surcharge of almost 20% on top of the 'quoted' price seems a bit extreme ie return flight faro to dublin booked as a return is €82 less discount 15% coming in around €74 when you include the credit card charge. Single journey from faro to dublin - same flight is quoted as €103 with no discount. Ryanair are at least true to their word on their being a point to point airline - no penalty for taking a single flight. (Have already booked RY to Porto (€55 each :) ) and Porto to Faro - also RY - after a weekend in Porto (€30 each :)) so just need to book single home.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I hear what you are saying but this is the fares currently displaying;

Booking Dublin to Faro return: Dublin to faro xxxxxx Faro to Dublin (which is all I am interested in
    Fare 62.99
    Tax 27.00
    Total 89.99
    Discount 15.75
    Admin 7.00
    Total 81.24

If you just book just single journey ie Faro to Dublin there is no 'discount'
    Fare 68.89
    Tax 27.00
    Admin 7.00
    Total 102.89
    so leaving aside the discount that you say is not there the actual fare is €6.00 more expensive than a return jouney. The 'discount' is undoubtably another summer sale. I can understand that. I just don't understand the difference in price when you just book a single fare.

Discounts apply to different dates.

Seriously, personal abuse should be allowed on Boards in cases like this :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

enricoh wrote: »
    hi, i booked a weekend away for me n missus for crimbo for last weekend.
    i printed off the boarding pass and it only allowed me print off the flight from dublin outbound. i was running late at work n i said i'd print off the return leg in some internet cafe over there.

when on holiday i realised that i had booked thursday 20th feb to sunday 23rd march instead of thursday 20th feb -sunday23rd feb. over 500 euro to get back. complete fook up i know but ryanair helpline told me to sod off.
    just wondering is there any other avenue to try n get a refund, even on the flight we are not using as 500 is a major kick in the nuts.

would the new cuddly o leary image gimme a break?!!

Yep you have already travelled so unfortunately you are goosed.
    Just to point out I do not know of a single airline that would really help in this situation (so nothing to do with the new cuddly o'leary image) as you had already travelled. As another poster said you may be able to claim the tax back (less the administration charge)

Discounts apply to different dates.

Seriously, personal abuse should be allowed on Boards in cases like this :rolleyes:

:):):):)

agreed. posts deleted.

It doesn't matter, departure time should only take into account the actual flight time and nothing else, last year they outrageously claimed that it took 90 minutes from Dub - LBA , even allowing a couple of minutes while the plane is waiting on the runway to take off off this was still vastly overestimated flight time, strangely enough after about 6 weeks flight time went from 90 minutes to 70,why was that I wonder, most probably didn't spot this but given I fly regularly with FR I spot every little thing.

I pay for a service and I expect it to depart when it says it does not 20/30+ minutes later and I estimate 95% of FR flights I've been on the last year (quite a lot) have departed late.

• Advertisement

MOH wrote: »
    No, I saw you say it "departed" 28 minutes late. You didn't say anything about whether it arrived on time, which would seem to be more relevant to them playing the jingle. (Unless they have another jingle that they play whenever they depart on time, but that must be new.)

And as for "vastly overestimating flight times", that's been done to death on this thread already.

Besides, when you book the flight, you know what time the flight is due there at. Why do you care if it leaves after the scheduled departure time, once it arrives on time?

Why , because I pay good money to use their service every week and I don't like being lied to although I'm used to it at this stage.

Advertisement