Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,028 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

^^^

Isn't that what Travel Insurance is for, why didn't they claim on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

maryk123 wrote: »
    Sister and husband booked flights for 26th December with ryanair. She ended up in hospital this week and can't fly. Has dr letter. I stupidly thought she could change them. Rang customer service and was informed 45 sterling each way per person to change the flight and the difference of the price. So 190 sterling and the price difference of the flight. Jesus what a joke. She. An also try returning the tickets to ryanair with a medical cert but this will not guarantee she will get a refund. Talk about f********ing people over. I couldn't believe my ears. Where is the new nice ryanair policy.

Same thing happened to my sister with BA. £190 to change it. Insurance covered everything, don't see why any airline should do it free

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Not looking to get it done for free but do you really think 190 sterling is acceptable for a 150 euro flight. As for customer service don't even start me. She was not looking for it for nothing. I just thought it was a bit steep that's all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Not looking to get it done for free but do you really think 190 sterling is acceptable for a 150 euro flight. As for customer service don't even start me. She was not looking for it for nothing. I just thought it was a bit steep that's all

150 euro flight the day after christmas. A bargain at twice that price. Ive paid 300 Dublin to LHR at non-peak times in the year before. Instead of moving the flights, how much does it cost to just book fresh flights?

Yeah she booked flight ages ago. Usually it'd cheaper into uk that out after Xmas. She was going to use the flight at another date. That's probably what she will do no. Anyway will send the cert to ryanair and see what comes back. Won't hold my breath. It's just it was a medical issue she couldn't travel not the fact she wanted to change it - she can't fly.

• Advertisement

In other words, they did not buy travel insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

On the face of it, it does look like no insurance, but before anybody gets excited about travel insurance, I am going to add my twopence worth. I had yearly travel insurance with XXXX a few years ago. Better half broke her foot. Phoned XXXX and informed them that unable to travel because of broken foot and looking for approx €220 in fares paid (Aer Lingus, Dublin to Lisbon ). Informed that a) there was an excess on each claim , can't recall the exact figure but think it was €95. and b) this excess did not cover credit card charges or taxes etc, only actual flight costs. In short:IMO insurance is pretty useless for cheap flights.

Yes she doesn't have travel insurance. But I have to put my hand up when I travel to the uk I never buy travel insurance. If I travel further I do. This isn't a travel insurance issue. I just can't believe what is being charged from the "new" soft ryanair. I have never had an issue with ryanair. Always fly with them. But I do find this extremely excessive.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Yes she doesn't have travel insurance. But I have to put my hand up when I travel to the uk I never buy travel insurance. If I travel further I do. This isn't a travel insurance issue. I just can't believe what is being charged from the "new" soft ryanair. I have never had an issue with ryanair. Always fly with them. But I do find this extremely excessive.
    But strictly speaking this is a change of mind on your part. In the same way as if you bought tickets and an outfit for an event, got sick and couldn't go, you would not be entitled to a refund on either.

Ryanair may not be falling over themselves to help you, but they don't have to, and I doubt any other airlines behave any differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

joeysoap wrote: »
    In short:IMO insurance is pretty useless for cheap flights.

No necessarily, in fact I'd say its equally important. Take for example when I want ed to fly from Ireland to Cyprus its far cheaper to fly Ryinair or Easyjet to the UK and from there onto Cyprus. There was quite a difference in price, can't recall how much. As these too cheap flight providers are only "point to point" airlines they don't want to hear about you missing a connection. If one of the two flights are delayed you will end up forking out money for another flight, for the next leg of the journey. Since this could potentially double the cost of your flights most wouldn't want to take the risk! One Dirrect were the only insurance provider to cover the above at the time, I'm not sure about now. You can also get a "zero excess", on your policy. Last time I got it for about fiver more. Also makes sense for cheap flights. If you shop around you'll find travel insurance can we worthwhile if your willing to pay to avoid such circumstances.

• Advertisement

It's not the fact they are not falling over to help. I can't get over the fees to change that's all. No one is looking for anything for free. She is not that silly. She didn't buy a ticket for an even. She ended up in hospital and can't fly. There is a difference. I hate when people dont compare like with like. No problem paying to change but 190 sterling. Do people not think this is excessive.

Have they checked how much it is without changing ie a new booking?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

padocon wrote: »
    No necessarily, in fact I'd say its equally important.

Maybe - only marginally related to RyR, I was snowed in at Cork for three days in 2009, ('cos they don't have proper snow clearance gear). I had been buying insurance through my broker for years and never claimed. When I tried to for this event first of all I had to 'prove' Cork airport was closed!! Then they asked for the invoice for my trip.... I sent them the RyR confirmation and they said 'where is the return flight info?' -I had a one way - aha! only return trips are covered!! I then spoke to my broker, who was completely unaware of the requirement. So, be careful, as usual, the smaller the print the more restrictions.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

It's not the fact they are not falling over to help. I can't get over the fees to change that's all. No one is looking for anything for free. She is not that silly. She didn't buy a ticket for an even. She ended up in hospital and can't fly. There is a difference. I hate when people dont compare like with like. No problem paying to change but 190 sterling. Do people not think this is excessive.

Medical can't fly certs are easily got I would imagine, if Ryanair made an exception then everybody would be trying it on.

BarryM wrote: »
    Maybe - only marginally related to RyR, I was snowed in at Cork for three days in 2009, ('cos they don't have proper snow clearance gear). I had been buying insurance through my broker for years and never claimed. When I tried to for this event first of all I had to 'prove' Cork airport was closed!! Then they asked for the invoice for my trip.... I sent them the RyR confirmation and they said 'where is the return flight info?' -I had a one way - aha! only return trips are covered!! I then spoke to my broker, who was completely unaware of the requirement. So, be careful, as usual, the smaller the print the more restrictions.....

Well theres a reason they don't cover one way because if its a one way trip its more than lightly not a holiday. They could not possibly cover this, if they did anyone who went abroad working would pretty much health insurance for half nothing.Thats why I was saying its very necessary to shop around, mind you I doubt you'll find an insurer to cover the circumstances you have described.

No necessarily, in fact I'd say its equally important. Take for example when I want ed to fly from Ireland to Cyprus its far cheaper to fly Ryinair or Easyjet to the UK and from there onto Cyprus. There was quite a difference in price, can't recall how much. As these too cheap flight providers are only "point to point" airlines they don't want to hear about you missing a connection. If one of the two flights are delayed you will end up forking out money for another flight, for the next leg of the journey. Since this could potentially double the cost of your flights most wouldn't want to take the risk! One Dirrect were the only insurance provider to cover the above at the time, I'm not sure about now. You can also get a "zero excess", on your policy. Last time I got it for about fiver more. Also makes sense for cheap flights. If you shop around you'll find travel insurance can we worthwhile if your willing to pay to avoid such circumstances.

accepted.
    Out of curiosity I tried the company I was insured with and compared one direct (insurer is AIG with one direct)
    On previous policy the premium for 2 for annual policy is €50 increasing to €80 if you include zero excess.

With one direct the policy is €72 and if you include zero excess the policy is €80. I fly about 5 times a year and haven't taken out insurance since my bad experience with the company I was with. Not going to name and shame them but they are a colourful company .

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭selekta

In theory you can get the airport taxes back for the flights you did not board but it's a hassle and I think there is an admin fee associated with filing for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

joeysoap wrote: »
    accepted.
    Out of curiosity I tried the company I was insured with and compared one direct (insurer is AIG with one direct)
    On previous policy the premium for 2 for annual policy is €50 increasing to €80 if you include zero excess.

With one direct the policy is €72 and if you include zero excess the policy is €80. I fly about 5 times a year and haven't taken out insurance since my bad experience with the company I was with. Not going to name and shame them but they are a colourful company .

Yeah so thats quite a bit extra. You'd have to decide whether or not you feel its worth it. Some years I have taken zero excess and other times I have not, it depends if Im doing a lot of traveling around and moving from place to place I take it out, whereas if Im going from the Airport to one hotel and back its not as necessary in my OP.

And I also base my decision on what Im bringing, if its the laptop and a good bit of DSLR kit then I always take it out and if I'm traveling light then I generally don't.

Never thought of that one. I have already posted that I have booked flights to Porto next September, and I intend to return from Faro. Two seperate flights, (with the strong possability of a seperate flight in between from Porto to Faro) So possibly 3 flights, none of which will be a 'return' flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

I rarely ever book return flights even if i return from the same airport. I usually book separately because my plans often change to which airport i need to return from. I had been aware of the return flight clause which is why i don't buy travel insurance between Ireland and the uk. As long as you have your European health services card, you'll be covered for medical emergencies. And you can get a last minute flight home for less than 200 quid in a real emergency. Its usually worth the gamble to go without, in my opinion

People should check their own insurance to see. I have an annual policy and it covers me for flights between UK & Ireland irrespective if the return is on a different booking or a different airline or from a different airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

People should check their own insurance to see. I have an annual policy and it covers me for flights between UK & Ireland irrespective if the return is on a different booking or a different airline or from a different airport.

Same here. You can't generalise about travel insurance.

Well actually it is not just about getting back, it also covers damage or loss of luggage. Anyway, with an annual policy, you are covered. Family of 4 for about £55 annually. I never buy individual travel insurance for each trip, that is just wasting money

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Well theres a reason they don't cover one way because if its a one way trip its more than lightly not a holiday. They could not possibly cover this, if they did anyone who went abroad working would pretty much health insurance for half nothing.Thats why I was saying its very necessary to shop around, mind you I doubt you'll find an insurer to cover the circumstances you have described.

So, "travel insurance" = holiday insurance?? After my experience I did check around, exhaustively. 75% of the policies cover holidays type travel, 15- 25 days - out and back. If you want the so called 'annual cover' it is limited in time per trip. IMO, there is no such thing as 'travel insurance' i.e. when you travel you are insured, except if you specify the travel time, duration, location and activities. OTOH you can get what is marketed as 'backpacker' insurance, available for up to 35 year olds. Bizarre.....

B

Pretty much, you answered the question yourself...
    75% of the policies cover holidays type travel, 15- 25 days.

• Advertisement

I agree. And if I was travelling with children, then yes, I probably would take out insurance.

Advertisement