Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Oh good about being able to carry Loop shopping separately. OK duty free is no deal but box of chocs/gift maybe then can have bag for newspaper, hat etc. But what of easing of restriction on extra small handbag? I wont be parted from certain items and fed up filling pockets.

The relaxing of the rules on the shopping bag is due to pressure from the airports to ensure people will buy stuff. Allowing people an extra handbag and you'll get the usual extracting the urine with a handbag bigger than their carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I thought there was a reference to allowing a small handbag when the news of revamping of website was announced? I would be interested in knowing size of this? and is it being allowed now? Another minicrate for checking same :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I stand corrected.
    One cabin bag per passenger* weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, plus 1 small bag up to 35 x 20 x 20 cms.

However in this case, you can't get a shopping bag as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

ryanair where handing out the smaller loop shopping bag and at the boarding gate, 20x30x30 (iirc) I had one of the bigger loop bags with my handbag inside :) but I had shopping too, which I just emptied out of the packaging

Well that is a decent size for handbag :). It will fit under seat.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

jonnny68 wrote: »
    FR are on the right track but let's not be fooled, only for some desperate bad media about their shocking customer service .

Indeed, there is a limit to the "there is no bad marketing" approach taken by MOL, for when it was a "laugh" it still had legs and the amount of bad PR across the routes by all nationalities, well, time to change tactic and seemingly it's being done.

A vote for people power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

That email service is a joke! They just email you back with a link to the number of their reservation centre. Total waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

That email service is a joke! They just email you back with a link to the number of their reservation centre. Total waste of time.

Quite normal if they need more information rather than going back and forth over e-mail.

Quite normal if they need more information rather than going back and forth over e-mail.

If you read my post, and as I clearly explained to them in the email, I live in Australia. Call centre isn't an option. Tried calling it and it didn't work. Would have been a nightmare with co-ordinating the time zones, plus it would have been obscenely expensive. It would have cost more than the flight. Email is a perfectly reasonable way to communicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

If you read my post, and as I clearly explained to them in the email, I live in Australia. Call centre isn't an option. Tried calling it and it didn't work. Would have been a nightmare with co-ordinating the time zones, plus it would have been obscenely expensive. It would have cost more than the flight. Email is a perfectly reasonable way to communicate.

That's a very strange glitch and I haven't heard of it before. I can't understand how the itinerary of your flight that is displayed before you book could be different to the confirmation after.

I'm not going to be much help here but you're lucky they even have an email. That's a very recent thing. Before it was fax, phone and letter only. You could try sending a message via twitter if you have one? They respond to lots of questions there, some via DM.

But worst comes to the worst, all flights that day are still €16 so you won't have to break the bank by re booking if it comes to it.

• Advertisement

Could you get a family member to ring them?

Depends on your query but a lot of stuff cannot be done over unstructured e-mails especially if it involves charges as there can be disputes over what the understanding was.

Theres a contact number from abroad.

http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/contact-numbers

+ 44 871 246 0002 – English speaking. Calls cost £0.10 per minute plus international calling rates and network extras.
    Our lines are open Mon - Fri, 09:00 - 18:00 GMT, Sat 10:00 – 17:00 GMT and Sun 11:00 – 17:00 GMT.

Max 11 hour time difference you could ring them between 8 and 9 pm to get their morning hours during the week, how is that a nightmare ?

If you use a service like justvoip you only pay local rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

IngazZagni wrote: »

But worst comes to the worst, all flights that day are still €16 so you won't have to break the bank by re booking if it comes to it.

just checked and all 3 flights to Edinburgh on 14th January are €16 each so total of €32 for two return.

Why would you bother with contacting them? Just rebook the flights, enjoy the trip and forget about it.

Depends on your query but a lot of stuff cannot be done over unstructured e-mails especially if it involves charges as there can be disputes over what the understanding was.

Theres a contact number from abroad.

http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/contact-numbers

+ 44 871 246 0002 – English speaking. Calls cost £0.10 per minute plus international calling rates and network extras.
    Our lines are open Mon - Fri, 09:00 - 18:00 GMT, Sat 10:00 – 17:00 GMT and Sun 11:00 – 17:00 GMT.

Max 11 hour time difference you could ring them between 8 and 9 pm to get their morning hours during the week, how is that a nightmare ?

If you use a service like justvoip you only pay local rates.

Thanks Michael :rolleyes:
    just checked and all 3 flights to Edinburgh on 14th January are €16 each so total of €32 for two return.

Why would you bother with contacting them? Just rebook the flights, enjoy the trip and forget about it.

Because I already have a flight. They ****ed it up. Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Well with that attitude, no one will help you.

Edit: We are only giving realistic options, what else do you want us to say?

Up to you man.

You can complain on here all you like or you can go and solve your problem :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Living in Australia, flying home next month. Booked a trip to visit my girlfriend in Edinburgh the second week in January last night.

I wanted to fly Edinburgh to Dublin on Tuesday the 14th, but when I clicked the Tuesday flight, it said that I had selected the Wednesday flight. I kept refreshing the page but the same problem persisted, it seemed to be some sort of technical glitch.

But I noticed that if I clicked on the Monday flight, it would say that I had selected the Tuesday flight, which is the flight I wanted. So I went ahead and clicked that. Right through the booking process, the screen was telling me that I had selcted the Tuesday flight. But after I paid and got my confirmation, it said that I had just bought the Monday flight!

This was clearly a technical glitch on their webiste, and I have now paid for a flight that I do not want. What can I do? They don't have an email service that I can see, and calling their call centre fro Oz is an option, and I've heard its a nightmare calling it from home as it is.

Any advice appreciated :)

Clearly not.

Well I joked about the installation of special handbag crates :) But there you go! The new policy is only barely out of the door and they have already added a mini crate to the front of the trolley/carryon bag crate at Dublin airport. I am so pleased to have personal items to hand on a plane. I would always worry about stashing the bag first and then look for a seat after which could be anywhere on a plane.

There is now a new policy of guaranteeing space for bags for first 90 passengers and that rest might have bags removed to be put in hold. No extra charge for this and those bags will come off first. Aer Lingus have already been doing this. Precious time can be wasted on a full flight trying to find room in overhead lockers. Sometimes it is just a matter of realigning a bag or removing a coat

Tried to call their international number, if didn't go through. Had my Mum call their Irish number, she just got a message saying her "call could not be processed".

Disgraceful customer service, seems the ombudsman will have to be my next port of call.
    Clearly not.

I probably should have differentiated between useful advice, and copy and pastes from the Ryanair website, and suggestions that I just give Ryanair more money.

Tried to call their international number, if didn't go through. Had my Mum call their Irish number, she just got a message saying her "call could not be processed".

Disgraceful customer service, seems the ombudsman will have to be my next port of call.

I probably should have differentiated between useful advice, and copy and pastes from the Ryanair website, and suggestions that I just give Ryanair more money.

Works grand for me here in the Netherlands:

Are you dialing like this ?

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/dialingcodes.html?p1=240&p2=136&number=0871+246+0002

Small claims court (not sure what ombudsman you are on about) won't be of any help, there is no proof that you just didn't book the wrong flight.

IMO it's more likely you made an error or were looking at two different flights in tabs and got confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Might have been an error with the website. When I was looking 2-3 days ago for Christmas flights, when I went to Edit (change) the flight details for a second search intending to just change the destination it was also defaulting my outbound flight date to the next day, which was annoying. It kept doing the same thing the whole day, but appeared to have been fixed by the next day, so perhaps they were having teething problems with the new website.

The other alternative is that it might have been something to do with booking date being different perhaps, if doing so from Australia?

Most likely we'll fly Aer Lingus this Christmas. One 20kg bag @ €20 should do us easily; the same weight with Ryanair is €35, and a 15kg bag probably won't be enough. That plus the extra train fare required from the RA alternative and a slight premium for the extra comfort and knowing you'll be looked after better.

Might have been an error with the website. When I was looking 2-3 days ago for Christmas flights, when I went to Edit (change) the flight details for a second search intending to just change the destination it was also defaulting my outbound flight date to the next day, which was annoying. It kept doing the same thing the whole day, but appeared to have been fixed by the next day, so perhaps they were having teething problems with the new website.

The other alternative is that it might have been something to do with booking date being different perhaps, if doing so from Australia?

Most likely we'll fly Aer Lingus this Christmas. One 20kg bag @ €20 should do us easily; the same weight with Ryanair is €35, and a 15kg bag probably won't be enough. That plus the extra train fare required from the RA alternative and a slight premium for the extra comfort and knowing you'll be looked after better.

That's interesting that you had the same problem with the website. Hopefully more people called in to complain and theym will have a record of it. Enjoy your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

That's interesting that you had the same problem with the website. Hopefully more people called in to complain and theym will have a record of it. Enjoy your trip.

You're getting yourself stressed and annoyed over an extra €48 that could well have been your own fault, your flight from Oz will cost 20 or 30 times that each, whilst I'm all in favour of not paying over the odds, you're in a situation whereby it will seem to Ryanair that it is more likely to have been user error than anything caused by their website.

I would seriously doubt you will get any comeback from them and you may miss out on the very cheap flights available currently, is it really worth it?

You're getting yourself stressed and annoyed over an extra €48 that could well have been your own fault, your flight from Oz will cost 20 or 30 times that each, whilst I'm all in favour of not paying over the odds, you're in a situation whereby it will seem to Ryanair that it is more likely to have been user error than anything caused by their website.

I would seriously doubt you will get any comeback from them and you may miss out on the very cheap flights available currently, is it really worth it?

I you look at my original post, I just politely asked for any advice on the best way to contact Ryanair and resolve my issue, not a broader existential debate on the value of my time or the economics of raising a dispute versus buying a new flight. Ryanair may well tell me to fuck off, but the problem is they haven't had the opportunity to do so yet as they've made is extremely difficult to reach them. I've called them numerous times over the last few days but can't get through. Another user has stated he has had a similar problem, perhaps others have too. Perhaps they'll be aware of the issue and change my flight for me. Maybe they won't. I won't know one way or the other until I successfully contact them.

There is now a new policy of guaranteeing space for bags for first 90 passengers and that rest might have bags removed to be put in hold. No extra charge for this and those bags will come off first. Aer Lingus have already been doing this. Precious time can be wasted on a full flight trying to find room in overhead lockers. Sometimes it is just a matter of realigning a bag or removing a coat

Interesting post. EasyJet have 2 dimensions for cabin bags (only officially allow one bag :( *) If your bag is 50X40X20 you are guaranteed to take it on board, if it's 56 x45 x25 it may be taken off you at boarding and placed in the hold (no charge). They have no weight restriction on cabin bags, as long as passengers can lift them onto overhead lockers themselves. They also carry an extra 12 passengers on both the A319 and the A320 compared with Aer Lingus, so potentially less overhead space for bags.

* they do allow duty free and on a recent return from Faro they were not enforcing the one bag rule on handbags etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Posting for a friend.

He booked a flight on Tuesday with Ryanair for the 1st February to Stanstead return on the day. He wished to cancel it. He bought travel insurance. When he went to try and cancel the flight the only option that came up was to can the travel policy. He did this as he thought he would get a full refund but I told him he only gets the 10 euro policy refunded. Is he right or am I right? Is there anyway he can get his refund?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

This post has been deleted.
    Unless you are Ryanair!

I have booked ryanair flights out Porto for next Sept. Happy enough with the price €55 each. Have not yet decided on how we will travel down to the Algarve after a few days in Porto, maybe train, maybe Ry. But checking flights from Faro to Dublin later in Sept have discovered that Aer Lingus add €10 to the flight if you don't book a return flight. what's that all about:confused:. Looks like Ry are going to get both flights, even though I would consider AL if they were anywhere close to RY, which at first glance they do appear to be but when you knock off the outward flight the return flight goes up by €10 per person. I know of no logical reason for this extra €10 as the €7 admin charge per person should cover the admin. What is silly is that (probably) by April or May AL will announce an autumn sale to try and fill the empty seats Don't understand why they don't try and fill the seats NOW and up the price later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Sister and husband booked flights for 26th December with ryanair. She ended up in hospital this week and can't fly. Has dr letter. I stupidly thought she could change them. Rang customer service and was informed 45 sterling each way per person to change the flight and the difference of the price. So 190 sterling and the price difference of the flight. Jesus what a joke. She. An also try returning the tickets to ryanair with a medical cert but this will not guarantee she will get a refund. Talk about f********ing people over. I couldn't believe my ears. Where is the new nice ryanair policy.

Advertisement