Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Rachel_Ann

Can someone with a fluency in Irish help me?

The name Aibhlinn, Aibhilin or Aibhlin - A name thought to have Norman roots that means “wished-for” or “longed-for child.” An Irish version of the name Evelyn.

Does anyone know which of the 3 names is the 'most used' or correct spelling? Also the pronunciation of the name, is it "ave + leen" or "eve + leen" ?

I've researched the name online but there's different spellings & pronunciations. Plus we all know that some websites aren't always correct.

Source -
    http://www.babynamesofireland.com/irish-girl-names

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Rachel_Ann wrote: »
    Can someone with a fluency in Irish help me?

The name Aibhlinn, Aibhilin or Aibhlin - A name thought to have Norman roots that means “wished-for” or “longed-for child.” An Irish version of the name Evelyn.

Does anyone know which of the 3 names is the 'most used' or correct spelling? Also the pronunciation of the name, is it "ave + leen" or "eve + leen" ?

I've researched the name online but there's different spellings & pronunciations. Plus we all know that some websites aren't always correct.

Source -
    http://www.babynamesofireland.com/irish-girl-names

Pronounciation would be Ave-Lin (not leen).
    I've not come across the name too often, but Aibhlinn is the only one I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I'd go with Eibhlin (with a fada on the second i, sorry can't do fadas on my phone!) and pronounce it Ev-leen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I'd go with Eibhlin (with a fada on the second i, sorry can't do fadas on my phone!) and pronounce it Ev-leen.

Aye, without a fada it wouldn't be pronounced een :o I do like it spelt with the E better, and it's more obvious what the English version is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

What are people's opinions on the girls name Tamaura??
    Heard it the other day & it kinda stuck in my head because I always said if I had a girl I'd like her to have some connection to my mam who died when I was 2. Her name was Maura which I think is too old fashioned for a baby but would Tamaura (shortened to Tammy maybe) be a compromise?? Dunno if it's just a bit too out there...??!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

So it would be pronounced Ta-maura... ? As in the old lady name Maura?

I'm not a fan... would prefer Tamara.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

January wrote: »
    So it would be pronounced Ta-maura... ? As in the old lady name Maura?

I'm not a fan... would prefer Tamara.

Was about to say the same Tamara would be lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Heard it the other day & it kinda stuck in my head because I always said if I had a girl I'd like her to have some connection to my mam who died when I was 2. Her name was Maura which I think is too old fashioned for a baby but would Tamaura (shortened to Tammy maybe) be a compromise?? Dunno if it's just a bit too out there...??!!!

Wouldn't be a fan at all! I think some old lady names can be cute on kids, but you are right about Maura not working. I would still pick that over Tammy/ Tamaura/ Tamara.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would pick Maura over Tamaura or Tamara too.
    Maybe pick Maura as her middle name?

Mmmmm think I'm just trying to make myself like it for sentimental reasons:o
    It's good to get an objective opinion :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Farrah is a fab name

Moonbeam wrote: »

Yeah I think a middle name is the only way to squeeze it in:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    On the subject of Rosie......Roisin is the Irish version......you can get two names for the price for that one......Roisin is a legitimate pet name for Rosie or Rose; Rosie is a legitimate pet name for Roisin.

And Rosie is the pet form of Rosemary (pronounced as the herb). Now there's a lovely name you don't hear much anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Mmmmm think I'm just trying to make myself like it for sentimental reasons:o
    It's good to get an objective opinion :)

I think Maura is a lovely name. And a sentimental reason is as good a reason as any other! Nothing wrong with some family history to a name either, it gives it roots and a story. I love hearing when people are named after relatives... They often have great stories they have heard about the person.

Btw, I suspect Tamaura is actually a boys name. I *think* I remember meeting an asian guy with that name before.

pwurple wrote: »

Btw, I suspect Tamaura is actually a boys name. I *think* I remember meeting an asian guy with that name before.

Tamaura (I could be spelling it wrong??) was, from what I understand a queen/goddess in one of Shakespere's works.

Tamaura (I could be spelling it wrong??) was, from what I understand a queen/goddess in one of Shakespere's works.

That's Tamora isn't it?

Either way, it's very unusual, she's not going to meet many people with it.

That's Tamora isn't it?

Ah that could be it, I only heard the name, I didn't see it wrote down :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Moonbeam wrote: »

I don't like Maura or any other versions of Mary like Marie or Maria
    Seems like lazy choices - no imagination in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

That's Tamora isn't it?

Tamara? as in 'It Girl' Tamara Baeckwith

http://www.celebrityphotosbio.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Tamara%2BBeckwith%2BNine%2BWorld%2BPremiere%2BInside%2BGkdGRxMuXpRx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Tamora is way too close to 'Tanora'
    Can't be calling a poor little babie after a bottle of orange in Cork!

• Advertisement

I've come back around on a good Mary. So many interesting Mary's!

Mary Robinson
    Mary tyler Moore
    Bloody Queen Mary
    Mary J Blidge

Loads of songs and books have Mary in them , it's all over european royalty, religion is stuffed with them, there are at least two films called Mary. Loads of towns and places called Mary across australia and US. A few army ships are called Mary. It's even a programming language! What other name has all that?

And, it's not even a common name anymore, there are feck all people born now called Mary. It's easy to spell, recognised worldwide.

Don't be dissing Mary. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Tamaura Tamaura and Tamaura
    Tamaura Never Comes!
    The sun will come out......Tamaura....
    All Tamaura's Parties

Don't do it........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Jakers.... no imagination?

Get with the picture.

Jack Sophie and Emily might fit that bill.

Not Maura or Mary. To call your daughter Maura in Ireland in 2014 definitely means you are someone who is not afraid to go against convention.

Ps, no-one mentioned Moira. Slight twist on Maura but I like it. Its a beautiful Irish name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

What do people think of the name Natalia?

Reasons for: I really like it. Very Eastern European (extended family from Austria). My dad used to call me Natalia. 1st choice so far is Lilly... But have been slightly (only slightly) put off this due to current popularity.

Reason against: very similar to my own name... Don't think I want to name child after me :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I think it's a gorgeous name.

However ... I'm from Sligo; from your username, I'm guessing you are too?

Can you imagine that being shouted in a Sligo accent ... Na-taaaal-yyaaaahhh ...

That's what would put me off it, to be honest. :o The idea of all the kids in creche/school completely murdering a lovely name.

Lol. Totally get you there it would be murdered! But no we currently in Dublin not sligo. But it'd probably end up being the same story here aswell...

Loved Lilly... But I think I've been put off it... And was so set on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Jakers.... no imagination?

Get with the picture.

Jack Sophie and Emily might fit that bill.

My son's name is Jack doesn't lack imagination I believe a name fits a person and it suits him.

We're thinkin Lucy for girl and toss up between Ryan and Luke for a boy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I think Natalia is a beautiful name.

As for Tamaura, in this neck of the woods it'd sound like 'tomorrow.' There's also Moya which is an English spelling of the way Maire (fada on the a) is pronounced in Donegal. It's a nice name that would also honour the poster's mum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I think Natalia is a beautiful name.

As for Tamaura, in this neck of the woods it'd sound like 'tomorrow.' There's also Moya which is an English spelling of the way Maire (fada on the a) is pronounced in Donegal. It's a nice name that would also honour the poster's mum.

I like it, far better than Natalie IMO.

• Advertisement

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I like it, far better than Natalie IMO.

Lol.... But wolfpawnat... Seriously would you name your kid that when your own name is nat?

Advertisement