Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

We called our little boy William Arthur.

That is the most wonderful name, classic, uncommon and strong. I love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

ElleEm wrote: »
    That is the most wonderful name, classic, uncommon and strong. I love it!

Thank you. :)

He's a very little boy for such a big name, but I think it suits him!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Thank you. :)

He's a very little boy for such a big name, but I think it suits him!

Gorgeous name! I love those kinds of names, the way I look at it is that they'll be adults for far longer than they'll be tiny and cute.. William Arthur is a name that would suit a baby, a boy, a teen, a student, an adult and a gentleman. Perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Fairie

Aw I love the name William too! It's top of our boys name list if we ever have a boy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I have Alice on my list too... just love it. But anyone I say it too sings that annoying song to me. Living Next Door to Alice.

I know you can do that with any name, but I really hate that song!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

pwurple wrote: »
    I have Alice on my list too... just love it. But anyone I say it too sings that annoying song to me. Living Next Door to Alice.

I know you can do that with any name, but I really hate that song!

Yeah, it was on list as well until my friend started signing the Donegal version.

it has been completely scrapped now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Fairie wrote: »
    Aw I love the name William too! It's top of our boys name list if we ever have a boy!

Our son is William also. He likes his name but he is very sensitive about it being shortened to Willie, doesnt like that at all, for obvious reasons.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Our son is William also. He likes his name but he is very sensitive about it being shortened to Willie, doesnt like that at all, for obvious reasons.

Yeah that's the one thing that made me a little hesitant about choosing the name. :o Hopefully it won't be too much of a problem though.

The thing is, no matter what you call them, if kids are going to be cruel they will find something to tease other kids about ... if it's not their name, they'll always find something else!

We just loved the name, it's a family name on both sides, in fact my uncle William has always been known as Willie and nothing else, and he's survived OK! :D So I decided not to let myself be put off by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Fairie

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Aww hopefully his name won't be shortened so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You can always cut that off at the pass by picking your own approved short version up front. We have some William's in our extended family, and they are known as Will, Liam and Billy. Not a Willie in sight. :)

• Advertisement

I like Will, I quite like Billy but I'm not sure it suits him ... he might suit it in a couple of years though! Not a fan of Liam myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I wouldnt think Liam being the short version of William.I like Will but to be honest i dont like the name William.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I don't like the name William at all. However I LOVE the name Arthur.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Arthur is an amazing name. I love it, especially when shortened to Art.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

So we had settled on Emma but as expected it changed as it's just too common. At the moment, and for the last 5/6 weeks it has been Leah. We both really like it and so does my daughter from a previous relationship so that's very important too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Dont like Arthur either.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Leah is lovely:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

So, we're still stuck like glue to Elliot for a boy, but now we're trying to think of another girl's name beginning with "E" that would sound nice with it. Partner likes Eden (it's slowly growing on me) and said he's heard worse than Edith. Neither of us like Elizabeth, my name is Alisha so all the E versions of that are out, and there are several Emilys and Emmas already in the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    So, we're still stuck like glue to Elliot for a boy, but now we're trying to think of another girl's name beginning with "E" that would sound nice with it. Partner likes Eden (it's slowly growing on me) and said he's heard worse than Edith. Neither of us like Elizabeth, my name is Alisha so all the E versions of that are out, and there are several Emilys and Emmas already in the family.

Eve and Esther are nice

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I really do not like Edith,it makes me think of little old ladies,I don't like Eden either but it is better then Edith.
    Eadaoin,Erica,Eleanor,Estelle,Eabha,Evan,Eva that is all that I can think of:)

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I really do not like Edith,it makes me think of little old ladies,I don't like Eden either but it is better then Edith.
    Eadaoin,Erica,Eleanor,Estelle,Eabha,Evan,Eva that is all that I can think of:)

I like Erica but he doesn't :P Neither of us are a fan of Irish names, and my best friend has two girls named Eleanor and Eve.
    I thought Evan was a boy's name :D
    E could be harder than I thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

So we had settled on Emma but as expected it changed as it's just too common. At the moment, and for the last 5/6 weeks it has been Leah. We both really like it and so does my daughter from a previous relationship so that's very important too :)

Leah is a lovely name. Emma is also nice but has kind of become the Mary or Ann of the current generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Ellen, Ella, Eliza, Eloise, Esme?

Ellen, Ella, Eliza, Eloise, Esme?

I love Esme, for the name, but I feel the Twilight thing might overpower it, Eliza is too close to my own name :o
    Just saw Amelia somewhere and it struck a little heartstring :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I love Esme, for the name, but I feel the Twilight thing might overpower it, Eliza is too close to my own name :o
    My sister in law is Emilia with an 'E', it's not spelt like that as she's Lithuanian, but that could be an option if you wanted to stick with 'E'. My sister has an Ellen and an Eve. I quite like Edith, wouldn't be mad on Eden to be honest. It sounds a bit like a glamour model name to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I love Amelia. If you want to stick with E, I think Ella is quite sweet. Not gone on Edith.

I think Esme and Amelia are both gorgeous. Didn't know there was any Twilight link! Anyways I'm sure (I hope!) the whole Twilight thing will be long forgotten by the time the baby is growing up.

How about Edwina? Kind of a love it or hate it name, I quite like it though! Elaine ... Elise ... Elma (although I knew an Elma, she always got called Elmo!) Elsa. Eve is lovely, or Eva, although I prefer the Irish version Aoibhe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Another nice name with the E sound is Illona, dont think its too common either. Dislike Esme myself, love Ellen and Ella. Know a lot of baby Amelias, all born in the last 18 months. At least 3 of them!

I think Esme and Amelia are both gorgeous. Didn't know there was any Twilight link! Anyways I'm sure (I hope!) the whole Twilight thing will be long forgotten by the time the baby is growing up.

How about Edwina? Kind of a love it or hate it name, I quite like it though! Elaine ... Elise ... Elma (although I knew an Elma, she always got called Elmo!) Elsa. Eve is lovely, or Eva, although I prefer the Irish version Aoibhe.

His goddaughter is Eve, so that's out, and neither of us are a fan of Irish names at all!
    I love the old fashioned named, but I'm trying to pick more adult ones - I know so many Ellas, Elles, Ellies and Elloises all under 3.
    Only names I was able to get any interest from with my partner was Alexis, Eden and Hayley. Not a fan of Alexis though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Another nice name with the E sound is Illona,

Have you been watching Dracula???! Lol. :) i like this name aswell.

Advertisement